Marvel Ant-Man & Wasp Official Movie Discussion Thread Update: Quantumania SPOILER REVIEWS!

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member
I forgot exactly what was going on, but Ant-Man ended up going out of a window and he landed on top of Morris's car while he was still small. Shortly thereafter, he reverted back to normal size.

It was when Scott Lang wore the suit the first time and he was falling through cracks on the floor in the building....but you're right about Garrett though...:yes::yes::yes::yes:

BrownTurd

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Just saw it and I give it a C+. Good movie but for an action movie it is kind of slow. By Slow I mean story driven which does give you great info on the Ant-man and how he came to be.

Leatherf7ce

Phantom of the Chakras
BGOL Investor
I, too, give it a C+. That father daughter dynamic slowed things down too much. I get you have to set the story up for newbies but I tire of the origins. i'm like bring on the Realness. Damn kids made me miss post post credit scene, now i'm Pissed...:angry:

melonpecan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It's good to see Garrett Morris still alive still making movies..I haven't heard from him in a minute...His quick cameo was funny :yes::yes:

how did I NOT get this reference

:hithead:

I wouldn't have gotten it. That was before my time though knowing this makes it all the more great that they got him for that cameo. Although at the movies I was like :eek:. Dude looks good for his age.

All I'm gonna say is this: I am determined to figure out how to put a tank on my keychain. As soon as I saw that, I was like "oh shit!" LMAO!!!!!

As soon as I saw that first close up...I knew it was real.

I, too, give it a C+. That father daughter dynamic slowed things down too much. I get you have to set the story up for newbies but I tire of the origins. i'm like bring on the Realness. Damn kids made me miss post post credit scene, now i'm Pissed...:angry:

The set up here wasn't that bad. It wasn't "let's tell Peter Parker's story again" bad. We know how Pym broke off from where to do his thing. Sort of gives you hints for who will continue to be in season 2 of Agent Carter. You get that short story about Hope's mom...which should have only been there to give Scott recollection for when he went subatomic and for the end for Wasp. That was it...not a whole not of set up there.

Unless you count the two ending scenes...LOTS of set up there :cool:

I like the details. I liked this movie. But one detail that I LOVED was that Pym in the present day continued to pull out 1985 suits. It might have been a small thing but I liked that, and his penchant for older things considering where his background is from. I wouldn't be surprised if Hank himself is revisited in Civil War with his knowledge of working with Edward and old facilities.

If you haven't seen it, go watch it. Like some others said it could have been more funnier but it's a good amount of funny and action. But boy you can tell CW is going to be bleek like a mutha.

melonpecan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I am just going to go ahead and put this out there. I'm not going to call it a spoiler cause I just saw the damn thing and even I didn't catch this one. So...sue me if you think it's a spoiler.

But still though...I knew they couldn't just leave this up in the air...

You were warned

5. The Ten Rings: This one’s a little complicated, especially because it doesn’t factor into Ant-Man too significantly. (Hey, it’s an Easter egg.) Remember the terrorist organization in Iron Man that kidnapped Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) and is the reason he ever creates an Iron Man suit in the first place? And then in Iron Man 3, we find out their leader, The Mandarin (Ben Kingsley), is just an actor named Trevor Slattery? And then in the one-shot All Hail the King (see: no. 2), we find out there is a real Mandarin out there and the terrorist group is still active, albeit in secret? That’s The Ten Rings.

One of the businessmen that visits Pym Tech to bid on the Ant-Man tech has a “Ten Rings of the Mandarin” tattoo on his neck. Which means they’re still out there, somewhere...
http://www.etonline.com/news/168140_13_ant_man_easter_eggs_and_marvel_references/

Now I gotta watch the movie again...

Nochturnal

C.S.I.
BGOL Investor
I am just going to go ahead and put this out there. I'm not going to call it a spoiler cause I just saw the damn thing and even I didn't catch this one. So...sue me if you think it's a spoiler.

You were warned

http://www.etonline.com/news/168140_13_ant_man_easter_eggs_and_marvel_references/

Damn didn't catch that...welp, looks like I'll be seeing this again

futureshock

Renegade of this atomic age
Registered
Ant-Man scores smallest Marvel debut US box office since The Incredible Hulk

Superhero outing Ant-Man debuted to $58m at the US box office this weekend, the lowest opening for a Marvel film since 2008 but still a respectable total for a movie which has had a troubled gestation period.

Peyton Reed’s film had been expected to break the $60m mark, but dipped slightly lower. Only 2008’s misfiring The Incredible Hulk fared more weakly with $55.4m, back when the comic book publisher was a relative Hollywood ingenue and did not have the corporate firepower of studio Disney to buoy it.

Ant-Man failed to hit the heights of Thor or Captain America: The First Avenger (both $65m in 2011), though its superior performance outside the US should bring it into line with those movies. The film’s struggles began when it lost original director Edgar Wright due to “creative differences” just weeks before it was due to begin shooting. Given all that negative publicity - no previous Marvel film has had to contend with such obstacles - the Disney-owned studio will be delighted with a reported $114.4m global opening on the back of reasonable reviews.

Ant-Man stars Paul Rudd as the titular size-shifting crimefighter, who is recruited to adopt the mantle of Earth’s tiniest hero by Michael Douglas’s genius inventor Hank Pym. The Hobbit’s Evangeline Lily plays Pym’s daughter, who teaches Rudd how to fight.

Second place in the US chart went to last week’s No 1, Minions, which dropped more than 50 percent but still picked up a hefty $50.2m haul this time around for a two-week total of $216.7m.

Third spot went to the Judd Apatow comedy Trainwreck, starring the comic and actor Amy Schumer as a New York magazine journalist with an out-of-control lifestyle. In its first week of release, and with few rivals in the R-rated marketplace, the film scored a healthy $30.2m.

The top five was rounded out by enduring blockbusters Inside Out, with another $11.6m in its fifth week for a total of $306.3m, and Jurassic World, with $11.3m for a six-week total of $611.1m.

Bill Condon’s Mr Holmes, starring Ian McKellen as a nonagenarian version of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s great English sleuth Sherlock Holmes, landed in 10th place with an encouraging $2.4m on debut. The mystery drama co-stars Laura Linney and Milo Parker in the story of a retired Holmes’ struggles with dementia and the resolution of one last, emblematic case.

Outside the top 10, Woody Allen’s new film Irrational Man debuted to an impressive screen average of $37,623 (total $188,115) from just five cinemas on limited release. The mystery drama stars Joaquin Phoenix as a philosophy professor experiencing an existential crisis who embarks on a relationship with a student, played by Emma Stone, who takes his classes.

US box office chart, 17-19 July

1. Ant-Man: $58m - NEW
2. Minions: $50.2m, $216.7m
3. Trainwreck: $30.2m - NEW
4. Inside Out: $11.6m, $306.3m
5. Jurassic World: $11.3m, $611.1m
6. Terminator Genisys: $5.4m, $80.6m
7. Magic Mike XXL: $4.5m, $58.6m
8. The Gallows: $4m, $18m
9. Ted 2: $2.4m, $77.4m
10. Mr Holmes: $2.4m - NEW

http://www.theguardian.com/film/201...debut-us-box-office-since-the-incredible-hulk

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

You were warned

anigif_enhanced-buzz-17292-1383249588-29.gif

I have a feeling THAT is what is gonna save this movie re-watchability and good word of mouth.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
‘Ant-Man’ Shows Power and Limits of Marvel Brand

“Ant-Man” demonstrates both the power of the Marvel brand and what can hold it back.

The film’s $58 million debut would have been a strong start for nearly any other company, but for Marvel, which has fielded a dizzying number of blockbusters, it is something of a disappointment. “Ant-Man’s” opening ranks below the numbers that Captain America, Thor and Iron Man put up during their launches. More importantly, it failed to top the $60 million domestically that most analysts predicted it would make this weekend.

There is a crucial difference, however, between “Ant-Man” and other superhero movies. In the Marvel universe, Ant-Man is more of a utility player than star attraction. Given the dubious pedigree, it’s doubtful that many other companies could have made a movie about a man with the powers of a household pest and enjoyed stronger results.

“The media expects a lot, maybe too much, from Marvel movies,” said Jeff Bock, an analyst with Exhibitor Relations. “This is not a B-list character. It’s barely even a C-list one. It’s a comicbook that hardly anybody collected.”

Executives at Disney, Marvel’s parent company, admitted that they would have liked a bigger number, but tried to accentuate the positive, noting that Ant-Man was, in their words, “an obscure character.”

The film, which is noticeably lighter in tone, was intended to bring in younger audiences, Disney distribution chief Dave Hollis argued.

“We were able to successfully launch a new character and to do so in a way that expands the audience of who is coming to see our movies,” he said. “In the long run, that’s of overwhelming value.”

But competition for the family dollar is intense this summer, given that animated films like “Minions” and “Inside Out” are still doing big business. Whatever the studio’s intentions may have been, “Ant-Man” only did slightly better among audiences with kids than “Avengers: Age of Ultron” and “Guardians of the Galaxy.” Families comprised 22% of the opening weekend crowd for the “Avengers” sequel and 26% of ticket buyers for the “Guardians” adventure compared to 28% for “Ant-Man.”

On the plus side, people seemed to like the picture, handing it an A CinemaScore rating, so it could benefit from word-of-mouth as summer enters its dog days.

What’s more troubling is that “Ant-Man” shows that even with the strongest brand in comicbook movies behind it, audiences won’t show up to see just any costumed vigilante. Marvel may have felt emboldened by the success of “Guardians of the Galaxy,” which took marginal figures and fashioned them into film stars, but James Gunn’s pop culture-infused direction helped elevate that material. There simply wasn’t enough to distinguish “Ant-Man” from the onslaught of origin stories and superhero films.

Standing out from the pack will only get harder. In the coming years, Marvel is delving deeper into the comicbook archive, backing movies based on more obscure heroes like Black Panther and Doctor Strange.

At the same time, the studios it licenses its characters to, such as Fox and Sony, plan to raid the recesses of the X-Men and Spider-Man universes to produce movies based on niche figures like Deadpool and Venom. That’s to say nothing of DC Comics, which is about to embark on its own ambitious cavalcade of superhero movies with the 2016 releases of “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” and “Suicide Squad.” All these movies will beget an endless array of spinoffs, prequels and crossover films, testing enthusiasm for the genre. It’s a slate that has the Comic-Con crowd in a state of euphoria, but the rest of the public, not versed in the fruits of Stan Lee’s off-days, may need convincing.

“This sends a clear message to Marvel that they need to up the stakes a little bit,” said Bock. “This was a solid film, but it was also on a little bit of cruise control. They should have had a cameo from Iron Man or something to up the ante.”

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/s/ant-man-shows-power-limits-marvel-brand-192255656.html

yaBoi

X-pert Professional
Platinum Member
i thought the movie was decent. It kept me and my son entertained and laughing throughout.

but i did think it was a little slow in the beginning

i wasn't real crazy about yellowjackets origin. He had no real reason to turn evil other than being a whiny bitch

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
i thought the movie was decent. It kept me and my son entertained and laughing throughout.

i wasn't real crazy about yellowjackets origin. He had no real reason to turn evil other than being a whiny bitch

He felt betrayed lied to and rejected by his father figure and mentor.

it was supposed to be the same with Hope.

He was supposed to be a whiny child.

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I really didnt think Ant-Man would work as a stand alone movie. The Hank Pym/Ant-Man had already been excluded from the Ultron story in Avengers: Age
of Ultron,of which he was a major part of in the comics,but i was pleasantly surprised by Ant-Man .Praise to Paul Rudd and his ability to change
gears from comedic to serious,and getting me invested in his character Scott Lang.Michael Douglas is better than ever as his mentor Hank Pym.
Evangeline Lily's presence and beauty are always welcome.Michael Peña was hilarious,and Corey Stoll adds just the right amount of uncaring menace
as the film's villain.
Praise to the writers and Director Peyton Reed for doing their homework on the character with nice little comic book touches throughout the film
Also high praise for connecting Ant-Man to the MCU past and present.The 3D was flawless and the action sequences were fun.
There are a few predictable moments and there are a couple of characters that i found to be obnoxious but what a nice surprise and fun chapter in
MCU

Scale of 1-10 an 8½

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

He felt betrayed lied to and rejected by his father figure and mentor.

it was supposed to be the same with Hope.

He was supposed to be a whiny child.

Not just that but his version of Pym Particles made him mentally unstable.

Non-StopJFK2TAB

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Some people are evil. I hate to reference the Phantom menance, but, certain events trigger your bad side. Hank Pym respected his intellect but had to cease mentoring him because he realized he wasn't salvageable. When you try to kill a father figure in his own home because he stopped loving you, maybe you rethink it. Then there is also the fact that when in Yellow Jacket mode, his headset wasnt configured properly to avoid messing with his emotional wellbeing.