Bro. Dick Gregory On 'Django Unchained': "Spike Lee Is A Thug & A Punk."

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
Ether. :eek:

On the real, I'm about like Dick Gregory, I've watched Django at least 6 times and the joint is dope as shit. No movie in Hollywood history has presented a black man wrecking a ton of crackas and coming away with the love of his life like this movie. Nigga, I am Django. My favorite new character by far. Spike can go jump in a lake.

Of that I have no doubt.

Excatly. Nobody's turning on or disrespecting gregory, then man is the truth, but he made some weird comments in this video. Im assuming that people havent listened to the video and just going off the fact that its Dick Gregory

:yes:
How? HE WAS THERE!....You were just an itch in your daddy's pants when Malcolm X was around.....

Then he should know Malcolm was a real street thug.

jasonblacc

Rising Star
Registered
Y'all turn on folks quick up 'round this bitch. :lol::lol::lol:

And when was being miltant sum'n to be shunned??? Some of y'all dudes slang around da term as though it's supposed to be regarded as a "diss" of some sort. Hell, I'd even go on to say that some should look into becoming more militant concerning pride of self or da community in regards to black awareness or nationalism b/c a good number of y'all don't stand for shit.

Dam you hit with the ether.....i might put this in my sig

SWATLANTA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

And when was being miltant sum'n to be shunned??? Some of y'all dudes slang around da term as though it's supposed to be regarded as a "diss" of some sort. Hell, I'd even go on to say that some should look into becoming more militant concerning pride of self or da community in regards to black awareness or nationalism b/c a good number of y'all don't stand for shit.

Fuck fake e-militancy...I tutor kids that can't afford tutors for free in math (algebra--->trig) 3 nights a week, I help feed families who have no food once a month at the Odyssey III off of Courtland in Atlanta. I don't come on BGOL spouting my bullshit philosophies and theories for acceptance from a bunch of cats who have never chipped in on a bill at my house. Half these fake ass cats are sitting at their computers with Kinte Cloth tights on and kufi's complaining about the white man and how he is oppressing us...get off your ass and do something !!! Now I am going to Dark 19's thread and tell him how I would flee from that camel looking bitch he just posted...that is what this site is all about lol !!!

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
...there are certainly things that black filmmakers can't do that white filmmakers can do...we all know that...Hudlin may not have been able to do that same film and get it on the big screen in the way Tarantino did, but he certainly could have done the film himself, and so could Spike, or Tyler Perry, or Oprah, or any other black filmmaker...and each would have told the story in a different way. Tarantino's reputation allows him to be more violent, graphic and real with his story....we have seen so many other slave period pictures where SLAVERY has been sanitized, and romanticized from a white man's viewpoint, or the slaves have been totally left out of the narrative....I'm glad someone finally chose to tell a story in a different way.....thats what makes this film so special..I understand the challenges the black filmmaker faces but to criticize Tarantino, where if he doesn't get it done, we may go another 50 years into the 21st century before its done, is a little disingenuous...HE DID IT, with the help of alot of black folks, on the screen and behind the scenes...does Tarantino's name give it more credibility, and put more butts in the seats, without a doubt...the movie brought out discussion on many subjects and it will help open the industry up to more films like it, and more opportunities for filmmakers black and white, simply because of the box office.....
will it?? really?

If a black filmmaker makes this story but in a toned down way and white filmmaker does it as nasty as he wanna be then hows that change? You STILL have a black man who has to compromise his vision for fear of alienating a white majority. And THATS the issue...a black man doing a slave revenge movie would be alienating and threatening to the white community. QT doing it makes then laugh and applaud. The Hughes Brothers (who can get just as gritty as Tarantino) would make them walk out the theater.

In regards to opening up the film industry..in the late 80s early 90s there was a "black renaissance" in filmmaking where we saw a larger than ever before with maybe the exception of the blaxploitation era but alot of that was white controlled in terms of writers, directors and producers, of black writers and diretors making majority cast black films. But that soon dried up by the early 2000s. Theyre still alot of black directors and writers but they aren't producing majority black cast films anymore. Something changed and its NOT that black audiences stopped going to the theater.

..as to your point on "others" not getting the opportunity, we all know that is the case across the board in any industry...but at least in this case I believe Tarantino comes in with a pro-Black man agenda, even if it doesn't always appear fully positive, he's given power and intelligence to many of his black characters...I think he truly understands much of those black struggles that you have laid out...however there are many filmmakers that don't understand nor do they care at all about the conditions of "others", but simply use their opportunity for nothing more than making money, and a name for themselves....In this case I don't think thats what Tarantino is all about, just my opinion....

I don't think Qt is a bad man or has evil intent in his heart but he IS benefiting from a paradigm that he is supposedly railing against.

...as to your point about the black man's story always having to have a white man to straighten him out BEFORE he becomes great, or acceptable or a success...well given where we all came from, the position we started from, slaves, in a white majority, white superiority system... it would be almost impossible for any of us to get to the top of any profession, industry, etc, without the help of a white man or white people somewhere along the way....to tell the story of Oprah Winfrey...Bill Cosby...Michael Jordan...Obama...just a few of our real life "heros"....you'd have to include a lot of people along the way that saw their talents, their potential, and gave them opportunites, or took a chance on them in some fashion, and many of those folks would be white...not all of them but many for sure...to tell Oprah's story, you have to include the person that hired her for her first anchor, the person that helped develop her show, producers, writers , etc....same for Cosby, who went from comedy to film, to TV stardom, there had to be white folks along the way that helped him, gave him opportunity...you can't tell MJ's story without including Dean Smith and Phil Jackson...so I think your point on the "well meaning white man" misses on some level and I don't think the Hancock and Django comparisons are really on point at all...
Without Dr Dre there would be no Eminem I get your point and I'm not saying white people can't play a role in helping but in terms of ambition and initiative its all on those people you mentioned. If we were to do the Michael Jordan story do you really think 2/3rds of the movie should concentrate on Phil Jackson teaching MJ how to play in his offensive?

Django was 2 hours long and in all that time we never really get a sense of how deep their love goes beyond his seeing her image all over the place. Hell we don't see her outside of a flashback until more than half way thru the film. We don't see her angling to escape we just see her failed attempts. We don't see Django initating anything for the first half of the film, he's a slave who's resigned himelf to his fate from the opening scene to when Schultz buys him.

From the start of the film Django doesn't TAKE his freedom its GIVEN to him.

A case could be made that while Django is the title character he's not the real hero in the story...how can you tell that? Take schultz out of the movie as it stands and this is how it plays out:

OPEN ON:

EXT - Countryside Broiling Hot Day
As the films OPENING CREDIT SEQUENCE PLAYS We open on seven shirtless and shoeless slaves in leg irons trudging forward. Their new owners, Ace and Dicky Speck (James Remar, James Russo), force the slaves through the elements with the edge of their whips. Among them is Django (Jamie Foxx). Their journey takes them from harsh environments that alternate from arid and dry to sopping wet. As they struggle forward through time, we see Django’s back has been cut to ribbons by brutal beatings.

THE OPENING CREDIT SEQUENCE ENDS.

EXT - WOODS- NIGHT

It’s night. The Speck Brothers lazily rest upon their horses while the slaves shiver in the cold, their breath lingering like smoke.

FADE TO BLACK

END CREDITS ROLL.

Thats it.. thats all we see Django DO for himself before the GOOD white man arrives and changes his life. :hmm: so who's the REAL hero here?

In the case of Hancock here's a hero who can do all of these amazing things but is essentially a drunken surly bumblefuck until he meets (saves) a nice white man who helps him break out of what turns out to be his MENTAL BONDS (first by convincing him to go to JAIL) then buys him a superhero suit and teaches him how to express himself properly (periodically talking to him like he's a child) and only THEN does Hancock get his shit together and becomes a full fledged hero. Dude look at the movie again..I'm not making this up:smh:

Last edited:

kogalee

Banned
you self ethered yourself. you still think of yourself as a slave and mentally you are one as your panties get bunched because of what the wht man thinks or says about you. still wanting daddys approval. at some point, you have to think and feel what you want not cause thats what they think.

FUCK YOU MULLAFUCKA! I only care about the spreading the teachings of the Honorable Elijah Muhammad and spreading the legs of different women. You get your panties in a bunch because you have no pussy to hunch. I am here to elevate bgol to the next level by teaching you that the white man is the devil. I am the last messenger for bgol. As long as I have the approval of Jesus Christ who is Master Fard Muhammad I am saved. As long as I have the messenger's approval, Im happy. You need to tie a milestone around your neck and throw yoself down to the bottom of the sea. You need to cut out your tongue and eat it.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor

bong...I've said it many times before

That's why I call a lot of people up here arm chair militants.

They really aren't about that life. They just pretend to be on the internet. All this CAC this and CAC that shit is a way for them to unleash their frustration from kowtowing all day. When certain discussions come up, you see who's real and who's fake.

Temujin

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Fuck fake e-militancy...I tutor kids that can't afford tutors for free in math (algebra--->trig) 3 nights a week, I help feed families who have no food once a month at the Odyssey III off of Courtland in Atlanta. I don't come on BGOL spouting my bullshit philosophies and theories for acceptance from a bunch of cats who have never chipped in on a bill at my house. Half these fake ass cats are sitting at their computers with Kinte Cloth tights on and kufi's complaining about the white man and how he is oppressing us...get off your ass and do something !!! Now I am going to Dark 19's thread and tell him how I would flee from that camel looking bitch he just posted...that is what this site is all about lol !!!

You don't know what any of these brothers do in their free time do you. Your making assumptions that because somebody doesn't want to see a slave movie because it is too painful because of there love of their people it's fake. I love my people so much that watching 2 hours of them getting disrespected is not appealing to me. That somehow makes me fake. What your doing is engaging in an ad hominem attack because you disagree with an opinion. Because you liked the white man's slave movie your offended that someone doesn't want to watch it. That's scary.

I don't get any of the love of this slave movie I really don't. I don't get the love of QT who has never been a friend to black people image wise. Since he put samuel in that Jehri curl it's been a joke.

Brothers being "militant" is not a diss. lol Putting an e in front of it also doesn't make it a diss. lol It's funny to me because when Malcolm X was first gaining prominence all the step and fetch it negros use to diss him by calling him a militant. ALl the white papers would call him a militant because being a militant scared white people. I guess in the black community having too much love for your people is a bad thing. So sad.

SWATLANTA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You don't know what any of these brothers do in their free time do you. Your making assumptions that because somebody doesn't want to see a slave movie because it is too painful because of there love of their people it's fake. I love my people so much that watching 2 hours of them getting disrespected is not appealing to me. That somehow makes me fake. What your doing is engaging in an ad hominem attack because you disagree with an opinion. Because you liked the white man's slave movie your offended that someone doesn't want to watch it. That's scary.

I don't get any of the love of this slave movie I really don't. I don't get the love of QT who has never been a friend to black people image wise. Since he put samuel in that Jehri curl it's been a joke.

Brothers being "militant" is not a diss. lol Putting an e in front of it also doesn't make it a diss. lol It's funny to me because when Malcolm X was first gaining prominence all the step and fetch it negros use to diss him by calling him a militant. ALl the white papers would call him a militant because being a militant scared white people. I guess in the black community having too much love for your people is a bad thing. So sad.

Save your sensitive blabber for somebody who give's a fuck...an Ad Hominem attack is an attack on a person's character instead of an answer to the contentions being made. My comments were directly made towards the e-militants who were bashing the character of the brothers in this thread who didn't have the same vitriol towards this movie that you and others have. If you don't like the movie, cool...if you do, that's also cool. Just don't go around judging another person's dedication to "the cause" because they take a different stance on semi-sensitive subject matter then you do. I only responded once I saw some of your e-militant brethren taking shots at posters in this thread and others who enjoyed the flick (calling them foolish and ignorant etc.)...

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor
Posse was on point.

But don't you all ever forget this movie
043396014893.jpg

KBOW_Buck_thepreacher2.jpg

Buck and the Preacher
damn classic:cool::cool:

:yes:
Now THAT'S some shit I can dig. Gone go find my DVD tonight

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

dude, did you hear the shit he was saying?

I heard him and its fine to disagree with him but I think its funny that the same man ya'll "respected" ya'll now are saying "Fuck him..." or "Oh he's senile now..." just because most of ya'll disagreed with him. He has his views. That doesn't make him senile just because you may not agree with him. I do agree some of the shit he was saying was CRAZY. The nigga done forgot more shit than we'll EVER learn. That doesn't mean his opinion is the bible so don't mistake me for that but I was just more so finding it funny how he's "senile" now. Had he said "Fuck Tarantino he's a thug and a punk..." would cats say he was senile?
Save your sensitive blabber for somebody who give's a fuck...an Ad Hominem attack is an attack on a person's character instead of an answer to the contentions being made. My comments were directly made towards the e-militants who were bashing the character of the brothers in this thread who didn't have the same vitriol towards this movie that you and others have. If you don't like the movie, cool...if you do, that's also cool. Just don't go around judging another person's dedication to "the cause" because they take a different stance on semi-sensitive subject matter then you do. I only responded once I saw some of your e-militant brethren taking shots at posters in this thread and others who enjoyed the flick (calling them foolish and ignorant etc.)...

:eek::eek::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

You speaking some true shit in here that needs to be said fam....

There's nothing wrong with being a "militant". But there is something wrong with being a FAKE ASS militant and that's what you have occurring on this site and this thread. Dudes spend their time on here telling other black men and women how to live their lives. How to spend their money. How they should feel about this. How they should feel about that. In between being a fake militant brutha they downloading a horse face bitch Sara Jay's scene. :lol: What cause are these militants fighting on BGOL? What are these militants doing in the hood they grew up in? I assume not a damn thing. :smh: Oh but if I talk like i'm holier than thou and speak like my shit don't stink then i'm fighting the cause.

/RANT OVER.

VAiz4hustlaz

Proud ADOS and not afraid to step to da mic!
BGOL Investor

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
I heard him and its fine to disagree with him but I think its funny that the same man ya'll "respected" ya'll now are saying "Fuck him..." or "Oh he's senile now..." just because most of ya'll disagreed with him. He has his views. That doesn't make him senile just because you may not agree with him. I do agree some of the shit he was saying was CRAZY. The nigga done forgot more shit than we'll EVER learn. That doesn't mean his opinion is the bible so don't mistake me for that but I was just more so finding it funny how he's "senile" now. Had he said "Fuck Tarantino he's a thug and a punk..." would cats say he was senile?

:eek::eek::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

You speaking some true shit in here that needs to be said fam....

There's nothing wrong with being a "militant". But there is something wrong with being a FAKE ASS militant and that's what you have occurring on this site and this thread. Dudes spend their time on here telling other black men and women how to live their lives. How to spend their money. How they should feel about this. How they should feel about that. In between being a fake militant brutha they downloading a horse face bitch Sara Jay's scene. :lol: What cause are these militants fighting on BGOL? What are these militants doing in the hood they grew up in? I assume not a damn thing. :smh: Oh but if I talk like i'm holier than thou and speak like my shit don't stink then i'm fighting the cause.

/RANT OVER.

:yes::yes: