Timoth Bradley officially signed with Top Rank next fight is against Casamayor

dime bag

Rising Star
Registered
:hmm: bradley vs casamayor , pac vs marquez main undercard

Timothy Bradley has officially signed with Top Rank, and will be fighting on the November 12 undercard of the Pacquiao vs Marquez show on HBO pay-per-view against former lightweight champion Joel Casamayor. Bradley is getting sort of a showcase fight, and is being lined up as a likely 2012 opponent for Manny Pacquiao.

"I’m just so happy. I don’t know what to say man. I’m so excited," Bradley said. "Wow. It’s unbelievable. It’s very unbelievable. Everything was looking down, looking down, and boom. Now everything is starting to look up."

... "Top Rank has had all the greats. They’ve had all the greats," Bradley said. "I’m here to be promoted. This is why I box, I want to be promoted. I’ve been winning my fights, but I haven’t been getting the top exposure I feel I deserve, being a three time world champion. I’m relatively unknown and I think that’s terrible. You hear about it all the time: Bradley can’t do this, can’t sell that, he can’t do that.

"My main objective was to get a promoter to build the Bradley brand, and Top Rank is good at doing that. That’s why we chose Top Rank."

I won't lie and say I'm interested in the fight between Bradley (27-0, 11 KO) and Casamayor (38-5-1, 22 KO). Casamayor is a shot fighter at this point and fighting over his best weight, and hasn't looked good at all in three years. The 40-year-old Cuban lost the lightweight crown to Juan Manuel Marquez in 2008, which was a competitive and good fight, but since then he's been inactive and struggled to beat club fighters Jason Davis and Manuel Leyva, in between getting easily beaten by Robert Guerrero.

But one thing that does seem odd about the choice of opponent is that Casamayor is still crafty enough to make a fight ugly, and Bradley isn't exactly known for his thrilling fights in the first place. To get interest behind Bradley as a Pacquiao opponent, it would seem as though you'd want to get him in a fight that will be seen by a lot of people who order Pacquiao shows (that part is done) and maybe one that doesn't run a very high risk of being dull (that part, not so much with Casamayor).

So here's the lineup for November 12:

Manny Pacquiao vs Juan Manuel Marquez III
Timothy Bradley vs Joel Casamayor
Luis Cruz vs Juan Carlos Burgos
Mike Alvarado vs Breidis Prescott

Jorge Arce has also been rumored as part of the card, which could potentially bump Cruz vs Burgos (arguably the most competitive and best fight here) off the PPV card, at least if Arce is really going to fight on the show. This is a solid PPV llineup, but does pale in comparison to the December 3 Cotto vs Margarito show, which to be fair doesn't have the main event fighter like Pacquiao making it an instant moneymaker, and could use the help from the exceptional undercard more than this show could.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2011/9/3...-signs-top-rank-pacquiao-vs-marquez-undercard

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
Undercard isn't as good as the Mayweather-Ortiz undercard but it might be interesting.

Just for picking Casamayor at this stage of his career and not taking the biggest, most important fight (and payday) he could get by fighting Khan, I'm rooting for Casa too.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
What do you think about a Timmy vs Manny fight? Both are ranked top 10 p4p fighters. I think this would be an interesting fight if Timmy and Manny decide to do it.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Undercard isn't as good as the Mayweather-Ortiz undercard but it might be interesting.

Just for picking Casamayor at this stage of his career and not taking the biggest, most important fight (and payday) he could get by fighting Khan, I'm rooting for Casa too.

I don't like the Khan situation, but really I'm riding with Casa cause he was fucked over his whole career and I doubt that it sits well with him how shit played out. I agree though at this point, Bradley should be fighting tougher comp than shot vets and this isn't even to increase his stock or to get paid so there isn't much of an excuse. Either way, Casa is one of those guys that don't go down without a fight and is able to pull some shit out of his ass. Since it is unlikely that Bradley would hurt Casa, I can see an upset... even though it is unlikely.

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor
at least they are stacking boxing undercards....makes it more likely to get more buys...

Last edited:

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
What do you think about a Timmy vs Manny fight? Both are ranked top 10 p4p fighters. I think this would be an interesting fight if Timmy and Manny decide to do it.
Manny, easily. Tim hasn't the earned the right to a big payday like that. After he beat Alexander, he needed to be trying to get Khan in the ring.

I don't like the Khan situation, but really I'm riding with Casa cause he was fucked over his whole career and I doubt that it sits well with him how shit played out. I agree though at this point, Bradley should be fighting tougher comp than shot vets and this isn't even to increase his stock or to get paid so there isn't much of an excuse. Either way, Casa is one of those guys that don't go down without a fight and is able to pull some shit out of his ass. Since it is unlikely that Bradley would hurt Casa, I can see an upset... even though it is unlikely.

Understood and agreed with. If Tim was fighting Casamayor a year or two ago, I would feel differently because, though Casa would still be long in the tooth, it would be a young up and comer fighting a great older fighter. But at this point, he should be past fighting guys like Joel. There are too many guys wasting time on bullshit fights when they need to be making themselves marketable stars (see Miguel Cotto fighting Antonio Margarito).

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor
Manny, easily. Tim hasn't the earned the right to a big payday like that. After he beat Alexander, he needed to be trying to get Khan in the ring.

Understood and agreed with. If Tim was fighting Casamayor a year or two ago, I would feel differently because, though Casa would still be long in the tooth, it would be a young up and comer fighting a great older fighter. But at this point, he should be past fighting guys like Joel. There are too many guys wasting time on bullshit fights when they need to be making themselves marketable stars (see Miguel Cotto fighting Antonio Margarito).

real talk...:yes:

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered

Let's see. I agree with 50% of what you are saying. First I disagree with Timmy not earning a big pay day. He unified titles with the guy that was consider at the least his peer in the alexander fight. That in itself should lead to bigger paydays. I mean if Ortiz can come from quitting to winning a title and never defending his title ever. deserved a fight with pbf and he doesn't deserve a manny fight. Something is very wrong. Now Timmy getting to fight cause he signs with Bob is no different than PBF always fight his camp GBP fighters. That is the way of the boxing world these days.

Timmy doesn't need to take a tough fight because he is in line for a major payday. which in turn is also a big fight. That is the business side. At least Joel gets paid and tv time. He is in a can't lose situation. I'm happy Joel a fighter people have ducked in the past still gets a chance to make some money. Where I see guys doing bullshit fights are PBF and Manny. It pisses me off. But they are not settling anything in the ring until they settle out of court. And by the comments PBF made after his last fight. A speedy outcome is bound to happen. And once that mess is out the way. We might see a fight between the two men we all want to see so we can shut up.

merce77

Star
Registered
Let's see. I agree with 50% of what you are saying. First I disagree with Timmy not earning a big pay day. He unified titles with the guy that was consider at the least his peer in the alexander fight. That in itself should lead to bigger paydays. I mean if Ortiz can come from quitting to winning a title and never defending his title ever. deserved a fight with pbf and he doesn't deserve a manny fight. Something is very wrong. Now Timmy getting to fight cause he signs with Bob is no different than PBF always fight his camp GBP fighters. That is the way of the boxing world these days.

Timmy doesn't need to take a tough fight because he is in line for a major payday. which in turn is also a big fight. That is the business side. At least Joel gets paid and tv time. He is in a can't lose situation. I'm happy Joel a fighter people have ducked in the past still gets a chance to make some money. Where I see guys doing bullshit fights are PBF and Manny. It pisses me off. But they are not settling anything in the ring until they settle out of court. And by the comments PBF made after his last fight. A speedy outcome is bound to happen. And once that mess is out the way. We might see a fight between the two men we all want to see so we can shut up.

Keep dreaming. That fight's never gonna happen.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
Keep dreaming. That fight's never gonna happen.

we might. I am not holding my breath. but there is always a chance it could happen. especially if one of them loses a fight. I expect manny to destroy jmm. but you never know. JMM can outbox Manny. But like most people find out. Getting him by Manny changes everything. And Timmy is still considered a top 10 p4p fighter. So at least on paper. Manny can drop to pound for pound fights on the resume again. And since I'm in the minority here on bgol. People swear manny lost both fights to JMM and Manny is not a better fighter now. It shouldn't be an easy win for Manny in either fight.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered

:smh: Bradley can't be compared to Ortiz because Manny and Floyd are welters. Ortiz proved himself by beating the best welter outside of Manny and Floyd. Bradley looked like shit at welter and he hasn't even reached Hatton status of proving he is the best at 140 to warrant a big time welter fight.

:lol: at the irony of you saying he can duck Khan on the hope of getting Manny. Not even a guarantee... then taking Casamayor and your defending it as a business decision while taking shots at Manny and Floyd. :lol::lol::lol:

:smh:

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
:smh: Bradley can't be compared to Ortiz because Manny and Floyd are welters. Ortiz proved himself by beating the best welter outside of Manny and Floyd. Bradley looked like shit at welter and he hasn't even reached Hatton status of proving he is the best at 140 to warrant a big time welter fight.

:lol: at the irony of you saying he can duck Khan on the hope of getting Manny. Not even a guarantee... then taking Casamayor and your defending it as a business decision while taking shots at Manny and Floyd. :lol::lol::lol:

:smh:

What irony are you talking about? Fighters usually fight house fighters. Don King did it all the time. PBF and Manny have that same thing down to a science. So if you want to fight a fighter under another promotion you bounce to them. I don't think you can call ducking a fighter when you have a chance to fight the number 1 fighter in the world and make your biggest payday. If Timmy was under GBP he would be fighting Khan. But he isn't and he is fighting the man. That makes sense to me. Just like it makes sense for Manny to fight a guy that is in the top 10.

And please stop building Ortiz up to the second coming of BGOL's favorite fighter Chop Chop. Ortiz got lucky that PBF saw a two very flawed fighters and Ortiz wone the rights to be PBF next easy opponent.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
What irony are you talking about? Fighters usually fight house fighters. Don King did it all the time. PBF and Manny have that same thing down to a science. So if you want to fight a fighter under another promotion you bounce to them. I don't think you can call ducking a fighter when you have a chance to fight the number 1 fighter in the world and make your biggest payday. If Timmy was under GBP he would be fighting Khan. But he isn't and he is fighting the man. That makes sense to me. Just like it makes sense for Manny to fight a guy that is in the top 10.

And please stop building Ortiz up to the second coming of BGOL's favorite fighter Chop Chop. Ortiz got lucky that PBF saw a two very flawed fighters and Ortiz wone the rights to be PBF next easy opponent.

Dude isn't fighting either Khan or Pac... he is fighting Casamayor and that is the problem. We know he wants Pac, but there has been nothing saying that he is next for Pac and, even if he was, why not Khan then Pac. Khan was looking for a fight a few months ago and he could've told him to hold off till now for a stacked PPV.

The irony that you seem to be missing is that you of all people are defending ducking a tough fight as a business move... the same thing that you are saying everyone is doing and is killing the sport.

Oh, all I stated was facts about the difference between Ortiz and Bradley. No over-hyping.. just facts. I didn't like the pick, but it made sense and it makes more sense then a Bradley choice at this point. Bradley doesn't even have a puncher's chance to beat Pac so I don't get why anyone would not want to see more out of him.

Last edited:

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
Dude isn't fighting either Khan or Pac... he is fighting Casamayor and that is the problem. We know he wants Pac, but there has been nothing saying that he is next for Pac and even if he was why not Khan and then Pac. Khan was looking for a fight a few months ago and he could've told him to hold off till now for a stacked PPV. The irony that you seem to be missing is that you of all people are defending ducking a tough fight as a business move... the same thing that you are saying everyone is doing and is killing the sport.

Because Khan like almost all GBP fight house fighters or free agents. Because Manny like almost all Arum's boxers fight house fighters or free agents. Same with most big name fighters. Cross promotion doesn't happen. Shane had to leave GBP to fight Manny. Timmy was looking to be a free agent and fight the best deal for his career. He thinks Arum is that person and it gives him a bigger stage than a Khan fight. I don't see how you can be called ducking someone when you are trying to fight the best fighter in the world. A fight with Khan or a fight with Manny or PBF.... Which would you take? But if you think he was ducking Khan then cool. If you think him taking a tune is wrong but ok for most fighters on the planet to do. Cool. That is fine by me. But at least he is taking an easier fight cause he is looking for a bigger fight. He isn't just taking easy fight after easy fight.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Because Khan like almost all GBP fight house fighters or free agents. Because Manny like almost all Arum's boxers fight house fighters or free agents. Same with most big name fighters. Cross promotion doesn't happen. Shane had to leave GBP to fight Manny. Timmy was looking to be a free agent and fight the best deal for his career. He thinks Arum is that person and it gives him a bigger stage than a Khan fight. I don't see how you can be called ducking someone when you are trying to fight the best fighter in the world. A fight with Khan or a fight with Manny or PBF.... Which would you take? But if you think he was ducking Khan then cool. If you think him taking a tune is wrong but ok for most fighters on the planet to do. Cool. That is fine by me. But at least he is taking an easier fight cause he is looking for a bigger fight. He isn't just taking easy fight after easy fight.

The hell are you talking about Khan wanted to make the fight and Bradley said no. It wasn't a promoter pushing him out of the fight.

You say he is trying to fight the best in the world... well Khan wanted a fight and he chose Casamayor.

I understand the positioning the fighters do to get money fights and I have no problem with it, but I find it odd that you are always saying your a fan, you don't care about the business, you want the best fights and taking easier fights over tough fights is ducking...

By the way... out of Khan, Pac and PBF... I would choose PBF cause it is the toughest fight along with paying the most... and what is the best way to make that fight happen... beat Khan who always has PBF's name in his mouth.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Oh and Martinez' bummy defense is making him look very beatable. I guess your dream fight is nix'd because of the skill gap.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
The hell are you talking about Khan wanted to make the fight and Bradley said no. It wasn't a promoter pushing him out of the fight.

You say he is trying to fight the best in the world... well Khan wanted a fight and he chose Casamayor.

I understand the positioning the fighters do to get money fights and I have no problem with it, but I find it odd that you are always saying your a fan, you don't care about the business, you want the best fights and taking easier fights over tough fights is ducking...

By the way... out of Khan, Pac and PBF... I would choose PBF cause it is the toughest fight along with paying the most... and what is the best way to make that fight happen... beat Khan who always has PBF's name in his mouth.

A promoter didn't push him out the fight. Timmy was in the midst of leaving his promoter. They wanted to cash out on him with Khan and he wanted to get paid but not help the old promoter. He is going to make more fighting Manny. Khan would be anyone's afterthough. Why go after Khan when you are a fight away from PBF or Manny? Either way we see it differently. I like to see him and Manny fight. I rather see that than him fight Khan. Especially with Khan having a great chance to fight PBF since he is a house fight for PBF.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
Just like your excuse as to why that victory won't mean much is being constructed as we speak.

Lol, you crack me up. Do you think PBF fights anyone he isn't sure he could beat. If he did that we would have seen him take challenges. He doesn't. I don't think Khan is that much of a challenge for him either. I actually am not interested in that fight at all. Especially if PBF decides to fight him. As for Sergio. Looking bad could be a great thing for him. I don't think he would lose to PBF. And a bad outing is probably what he needs to get PBF interested enough to fight him. If you see me making an excuse then I don't know what to say. I think Sergio can beat PBF. I think he has a great chance. More chance than Manny does at this point.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Lol, you crack me up. Do you think PBF fights anyone he isn't sure he could beat. If he did that we would have seen him take challenges. He doesn't. I don't think Khan is that much of a challenge for him either. I actually am not interested in that fight at all. Especially if PBF decides to fight him. As for Sergio. Looking bad could be a great thing for him. I don't think he would lose to PBF. And a bad outing is probably what he needs to get PBF interested enough to fight him. If you see me making an excuse then I don't know what to say. I think Sergio can beat PBF. I think he has a great chance. More chance than Manny does at this point.

No... he doesn't pick people he thinks he can't beat. I'm pretty sure he thinks he can beat them all from 140 to 154... and he doesn't fights guys after they look bad, by the way.

I think it is funny that you say you aren't interested in Khan cause it wasn't long ago when you were asked who he should have picked besides Ortiz and you said Khan. :lol:

I see you making an excuse because you did the same thing with Shane Mosley. :lol:

Martinez is funny... he can't move to 170, but Floyd and Manny should move up for him.:lol:

merce77

Star
Registered
No... he doesn't pick people he thinks he can't beat. I'm pretty sure he thinks he can beat them all from 140 to 154... and he doesn't fights guys after they look bad, by the way.

I think it is funny that you say you aren't interested in Khan cause it wasn't long ago when you were asked who he should have picked besides Ortiz and you said Khan. :lol:

I see you making an excuse because you did the same thing with Shane Mosley. :lol:

Martinez is funny... he can't move to 170, but Floyd and Manny should move up for him.:lol:

Hold on, hold on. Martinez looked small in there tonight with a normal middleweight. NO way can he move up to 168-170, even a catchweight of 165 is stretching it. And as big as Floyd looked in the Ortiz fight, I don't see ANY reason, other than him protecting the 0, why he won't make the move to 154. There is no one at 147 for him to fight and him fighting guys moving up from 140 is getting really old already. Oh and I think it was more a fucked up style for Martinez and him training to the level of his opponent. He fights all these a-list fighters and looks great - then looks so-so against a fringe contender? Used to happen to Pernell often. I think Martinez would be a tough fight for Floyd but I see him winning on points. I think Martinez would KO Pacquiao, Cotto, Canelo or Chavez Jr. Which is why we won't see those fights. Then again maybe after tonight someone will wanna fight him.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Hold on, hold on. Martinez looked small in there tonight with a normal middleweight. NO way can he move up to 168-170, even a catchweight of 165 is stretching it. And as big as Floyd looked in the Ortiz fight, I don't see ANY reason, other than him protecting the 0, why he won't make the move to 154. There is no one at 147 for him to fight and him fighting guys moving up from 140 is getting really old already. Oh and I think it was more a fucked up style for Martinez and him training to the level of his opponent. He fights all these a-list fighters and looks great - then looks so-so against a fringe contender? Used to happen to Pernell often. I think Martinez would be a tough fight for Floyd but I see him winning on points. I think Martinez would KO Pacquiao, Cotto, Canelo or Chavez Jr. Which is why we won't see those fights. Then again maybe after tonight someone will wanna fight him.

I get you point, but Merce... Pac and Floyd are too small for 154. Especially Pac and if he wants Pac to come up... Martinez has no reason to act like he can't move. Floyd pitty-patted his way through De La Hoya with no pop and he still could out box Martinez IMO. I would like the fight... I just don't see how the weight flux could continue for any of these guys at their ages unless they are talking about an end game.

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor
if Ward cleans out his division I would rather see a superfight between Ward & Sergio...

Pac & PBF are too small and a catch weight with Sergio 2 divisions away seems too much for all 3 of them...they are all past 30 in the late stages of their careers...

merce77

Star
Registered
I get you point, but Merce... Pac and Floyd are too small for 154. Especially Pac and if he wants Pac to come up... Martinez has no reason to act like he can't move. Floyd pitty-patted his way through De La Hoya with no pop and he still could out box Martinez. I would like the fight. I don't see how the weight flux could continue for any of these guys at their ages unless they are talking about an end game.

Pac is. Not Floyd. Dude looked BIG in the ring against Ortiz and Ortiz was essentially a middleweight that night. I though Floyd looked big against Shane but he looked even bigger last fight. With the current crop of jr. middles, Floyd could fight at 154 easily. I mean shit if 5'7" Duran can go up to middleweight and take the crown from Iran Barkley who was HUGE, Floyd could move up. I'm not even interested in a Khan fight or shit, even Pacquiao, I know how those fights would end up. But Martinez at 154 presents a more difficult challenge for Floyd then Manny at 147. The only difference is that MArtinez can box well and he's smart. 2 attributes Pac has never shown in the ring. The fight with Oscar was about 5 years ago, Floyd's body is maturing. I mean Cotto is smaller than him and fighting at 154.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
I get you point, but Merce... Pac and Floyd are too small for 154. Especially Pac and if he wants Pac to come up... Martinez has no reason to act like he can't move. Floyd pitty-patted his way through De La Hoya with no pop and he still could out box Martinez. I would like the fight. I don't see how the weight flux could continue for any of these guys at their ages unless they are talking about an end game.

Manny is to small to fight at 154. Even more, Manny is just not equiped to beat Sergio. If they fought it would be interesting as hell to see if he could pull it off. I doubt it unless they mess with the weight. As for PBF. Of course he could beat Sergio. But just like against Manny, I doubt it.I don't think PBF could has enough power to keep sergio off and sergio is just a bigger and talented enough to avoid Manny's power.

Going back to the Khan thing. It makes sense that him and PBF should fight. He has the physical tools in place to beat PBF. But I don't think he has the mentally to compete with PBF. It probably could be a good fight. But I'm not interested in it anymore because I only want to see him in the ring with Sergio/Manny or Canelo then Khan. I think Khan is ahead of Canelo, but the size difference makes me interested in what Canelo could maybe do against PBF.

merce77

Star
Registered
if Ward cleans out his division I would rather see a superfight between Ward & Sergio...

Pac & PBF are too small and a catch weight with Sergio 2 divisions away seems too much for all 3 of them...they are all past 30 in the late stages of their careers...

Floyd can fight at 154, Martinez is really a 154 lb'er fighting at middleweight. I never realized Sergio was such a small middleweight. Floyd is at the point Martinez was 2 years ago. He's gotten older, his body is maturing and he's filled out his body more, also it seems like Floyd is punching a bit harder.

merce77

Star
Registered
Manny is to small to fight at 154. Even more, Manny is just not equiped to beat Sergio. If they fought it would be interesting as hell to see if he could pull it off. I doubt it unless they mess with the weight. As for PBF. Of course he could beat Sergio. But just like against Manny, I doubt it.I don't think PBF could has enough power to keep sergio off and sergio is just a bigger and talented enough to avoid Manny's power.

Going back to the Khan thing. It makes sense that him and PBF should fight. He has the physical tools in place to beat PBF. But I don't think he has the mentally to compete with PBF. It probably could be a good fight. But I'm not interested in it anymore because I only want to see him in the ring with Sergio/Manny or Canelo then Khan. I think Khan is ahead of Canelo, but the size difference makes me interested in what Canelo could maybe do against PBF.

Speed and power don't mean much if your footwork is sloppy and his is sloppy as hell, like most Roach fighters. He also hasn't shown me any boxing IQ. He should have had Maidana ko'd from body shots 3 rounds into their fight. Khan would lose to Floyd and lose badly.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Pac is. Not Floyd. Dude looked BIG in the ring against Ortiz and Ortiz was essentially a middleweight that night. I though Floyd looked big against Shane but he looked even bigger last fight. With the current crop of jr. middles, Floyd could fight at 154 easily. I mean shit if 5'7" Duran can go up to middleweight and take the crown from Iran Barkley who was HUGE, Floyd could move up. I'm not even interested in a Khan fight or shit, even Pacquiao, I know how those fights would end up. But Martinez at 154 presents a more difficult challenge for Floyd then Manny at 147. The only difference is that MArtinez can box well and he's smart. 2 attributes Pac has never shown in the ring. The fight with Oscar was about 5 years ago, Floyd's body is maturing. I mean Cotto is smaller than him and fighting at 154.

If Floyd did move to 154 he would probably have to stay there and the only worth while fight there is Martinez, Where he is at... he has Manny, Khan, Bradley, and maybe... Berto if he can get a big win.