The Official... Manny Pacquiao, Freddy Roach, and Bob Arum are full of shit Thread!!!

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Re: The Official... Manny Pacquiao, Freddy Roach, and Bob Arum are full of shit Threa

I wonder how sore the HBO crew is for not being able to have this fight on their PPV now that it has been moved to Showtime. I know the buyrate won't be that high anyways cause that network doesn't pull that many numbers as HBO does, but if this CBS/Showtime combo does happen like what's rumored, then these guys + Showtime may be able to sucker *ahem* I mean bring more fans to watch...

I won't under estimate the numbers this fight can do cause you never know.

All I will say is, as much as I like competition cause it usually produces better product. Boxing has become a sport that is mainly about name-value not fights. I was hoping that HBO was going to be able to put the hammer down (eventually) and demand better fights. This might be the first step in really making Showtime more than a second rung under HBO.

merce77

Star
Registered
Re: The Official... Manny Pacquiao, Freddy Roach, and Bob Arum are full of shit Threa

I won't under estimate the numbers this fight can do cause you never know.

All I will say is, as much as I like competition cause it usually produces better product. Boxing has become a sport that is mainly about name-value not fights. I was hoping that HBO was going to be able to put the hammer down (eventually) and demand better fights. This might be the first step in really making Showtime more than a second rung under HBO.

It's gonna take more than just Manny's last few career fights to do that. It doesn't seem like Top Rank's roster has another genuine star other than him. You got Juanma Lopez who is exciting and will bring his Puerto Rican audience with him but I can't thing of a bonafide star. Cotto's nearing the end of his run as well, and Mosley's finished after this fight. If Floyd comes back and Sergio Martinez and Marquez continue to be exciting, I can't see Showtime getting the upper hand. Though they do already have some quality talent.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

Showtime does have some talent but how long before HBO picks off Ward like they did Evander Holyfield in the 90s? They're already showing some variety by showing the Montiel/Donaire fight and they've locked down the very competitive jr. welterweight division.
Showtime can make some moves but HBO has a huge advantage that will be hard to match in the foreseeable future.

merce77

Star
Registered

Showtime does have some talent but how long before HBO picks off Ward like they did Evander Holyfield in the 90s? They're already showing some variety by showing the Montiel/Donaire fight and they've locked down the very competitive jr. welterweight division.
Showtime can make some moves but HBO has a huge advantage that will be hard to match in the foreseeable future.

:yes:

TJervey

Support BGOL
Registered

And the Super Six flopping didn't help. Showtime needs to go into MMA or something.

Showtime does show MMA at this point already right? HBO is really quietly taking control of the Boxing scene though... Ward and those guys will definitely make the the switch. As good as he has been in the Super Six, he still hasn't made the crossover impact I'm sure he would like to...

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

Showtime does show MMA at this point already right? HBO is really quietly taking control of the Boxing scene though... Ward and those guys will definitely make the the switch. As good as he has been in the Super Six, he still hasn't made the crossover impact I'm sure he would like to...

If they do, they need to go hard with it.

Ward will never make that crossover on Showtime, their audience is just too small.

merce77

Star
Registered

If they do, they need to go hard with it.

Ward will never make that crossover on Showtime, their audience is just too small.

And his style is just too ugly. Grab, jab, hold, headbutt. Really, I've been into a lot of boxing forums and while they do acknowledge his skill and potential, most fans seem to hate his style of fighting. He also needs to fight somewhere other than at home if he wants to build a fan base.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member

And his style is just too ugly. Grab, jab, hold, headbutt. Really, I've been into a lot of boxing forums and while they do acknowledge his skill and potential, most fans seem to hate his style of fighting. He also needs to fight somewhere other than at home if he wants to build a fan base.

The second coming of John Ruiz, like it or not. I don't know why some people dislike this comparison so much. Ward is very Ruiz-like.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

True but I like the idea of fighting in front of big crowds on tv to give the impression that he's a big star. How many guys can't draw in their hometowns? I always thought Paul Williams was making a mistake by not having fights, even if they weren't on HBO, in South Carolina or Georgia.

merce77

Star
Registered

True but I like the idea of fighting in front of big crowds on tv to give the impression that he's a big star. How many guys can't draw in their hometowns? I always thought Paul Williams was making a mistake by not having fights, even if they weren't on HBO, in South Carolina or Georgia.

I hear you and agree, but, if he wants to actually become a big star he's going to have to leave the nest sometime. Also people don't want to pay their money to see a dude who jabs, grabs and holds every five seconds, it may be effective, but that style will wear thin fast.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

I hear you and agree, but, if he wants to actually become a big star he's going to have to leave the nest sometime. Also people don't want to pay their money to see a dude who jabs, grabs and holds every five seconds, it may be effective, but that style will wear thin fast.

Agreed. Stylistically, he's not a "pretty" fighter and that's going to keep him from being a really big star unless he can find a foil that will make for an entertaining fight. Who that is is unknown to me. The Super Six and Bika fights were his best bets to let more people see him and get a feel for him.

merce77

Star
Registered

Agreed. Stylistically, he's not a "pretty" fighter and that's going to keep him from being a really big star unless he can find a foil that will make for an entertaining fight. Who that is is unknown to me. The Super Six and Bika fights were his best bets to let more people see him and get a feel for him.

Well Bute recently signed a multi fight contract with Showtime. I would love to see that fight since they are pretty much the 2 most talented guys in that division. It would be interesting to see how Ward's style matches up with Bute's slicker southpaw approach. Ward is a very physical and physically strong fighter and I think he could give Bute a lot of problems. Also Bute for his part has shown some one shot pop and great hand speed and footwork.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Well Bute recently signed a multi fight contract with Showtime. I would love to see that fight since they are pretty much the 2 most talented guys in that division. It would be interesting to see how Ward's style matches up with Bute's slicker southpaw approach. Ward is a very physical and physically strong fighter and I think he could give Bute a lot of problems. Also Bute for his part has shown some one shot pop and great hand speed and footwork.

Ward could probably beat almost anyone with that shit. It's like some Street Fighter II "cheese" move.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

That's the exact guy I was thinking about. Another surprising move since he looked like he was going to be a good HBO fighter.

Ward could probably beat almost anyone with that shit. It's like some Street Fighter II "cheese" move.

:lol:

merce77

Star
Registered

:lol::lol::lol:I don't know how I missed this comment - the "cheese"!!! I fucking hated that shit!!:angry::angry::angry::lol: