Roy Jones Jr. and the Legacy Debate

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
How does one define a boxer’s career and legacy when they continue fighting long after their prime?

There appears to be two schools of thought on the subject. One side is that a fighter can tarnish his legacy by staying around too long. The philosophy is that the entire sum of a career should be measured from day one to his final fight. The other side believes that when a fighter reaches a certain point, everything past that is the icing on the cake. In that school of thought, after a series of accomplishments, a legacy can only be enhanced but not hindered.

The argument over what effects staying around too long has on a boxer’s legacy has been around for a long time. Recently, events have once again pushed this question back to the front of boxing debates. In the past month, three fighters, all well beyond their primes, have had embarrassing fights.

On May 7, 2011, the once pound-for-pound king Shane Mosley gave a non-effort against the best fighter in the world, Manny Pacquiao. While there is no shame in losing, even in lopsided fashion to Pacquiao, it was the fact that Mosley fought in fear. Mosley has long been lauded for his willingness to engage opponents. This seemed to change the moment he tasted Pacquiao’s power. This came almost one year to the day after a similarly non-spirited showing against Floyd Mayweather Jr.

On the same night as the Mosley fight, former heavyweight champion Evander Holyfield fought Brian Nielsen. While Holyfield managed a late-round knockout of Neilsen, the fight was no less sad. Nielsen had been retired for years and was never close to a legitimate contender even in his prime

That Holyfield took the fight, claimed he deserved a title shot from the victory, and that he struggled even slightly speaks volumes to the status of Holyfield’s career. For 10 years now Holyfield has been on the decline with his only victories coming against nobodies and has-been fighters

This past weekend, Roy Jones Jr. was frighteningly knocked out by Denis Lebedev. Lebedev is a talented young fighter, but would have been thoroughly outclassed by Jones Jr in his prime, who has spent more than a decade as the recognized best boxer in the world, but is now being knocked out with alarming frequency.

What effect do these fights have on a boxer’s legacy? Is Jones Jr. lessened as a fighter for having been knocked out by Levedev? When Jones Jr. first fought Antonio Tarver, it was apparent that age and changing weight classes had diminished him physically to the point that he was no longer the stunning physical specimen that he once was. Was everything that has happened past that point a career footnote?

Boxers have long fought past their primes. Few fighters, such as Rocky Marciano or Lennox Lewis, leave while on top. A few more such as Oscar de la Hoya or Kostya Tszyu leave shortly after realizing that they can no longer compete at the top levels. But for every boxer that retires at or shortly after age catches up to them there are countless others that sadly soldier on

Historically, fighters have been forgiven for the misfortunes that occur late in their careers. Ask someone to picture Muhammad Ali and they will likely imagine him beating Foreman, Frazier, or Liston. Few will think of his sad loss to Larry Holmes. Joe Louis is better remembered for the second fight against Max Schmelling than he is for being a balding old man whom was batter by Marciano. Sugar Ray Robinson retains the widely held belief that he is the greatest fighter who ever lived that for the numerous losses he suffered late in his career.

However, the modern fighter has to deal with something that Ali, Louis, and Robinson never had to face in modern media. Historically, fights were shown once, maybe twice on television. The truly fanatical could trade reels of film or video cassettes but most fans only saw these fights once. Now there is the 24-hour sports news channel and the Internet which replays these sad moments ad nauseum.

It has become more difficult for these sad instances to fade away in the collective boxing memory. Louis’ loss to Marciano was only shown a few times. In modern times one could watch Jones Jr. being knocked out repeatedly on their cell phone from anywhere in the world at any time of day.

The truth is that the sport is designed to have fighters stay around too long.

Boxing is the sport where the stigma of being a quitter is the most damning. Fighter’s train their entire lives to mentally be willing to engage in difficult or frightening situations. Fans and writers ruthlessly chastise boxers that show the slightest bit of fear. Yet many of these same fans and writers publicly blast boxers for not knowing when to call it quits on their career.

Further, many fighters are financially strained when they retire. In boxing there is not an effective union or a 401k plan to help plan for retirement. Unlike other organized sports where an athlete is unable to earn money as their ability fade boxing is the opposite. An old fighter with a decent name can always draw a crowd. Young fighters are always looking for an old name to add to a resume.

The disdain boxers who stay around too long receive may have less to do with them and more to do with fans. It is like a poor movie adaption of favorite childhood book; watching a once great athlete lose in fight after fight tarnishes the memory of that fighter. Then comes the chorus of young fans who never saw that fighter in their prime to say that so-and-so was overrated. An individual who once brought so much excitement now only brings frustration.

It also reminds us of our own mortality. After all, if a once sublime physical specimen like Evander Holyfield can be become a plodding shell of his former self then what chance do the rest of us have?

In the end it is unfair to judge a young man and an old man the same. Boxers who are beginning their careers are not criticized for fighting mediocre opponents. Their skills are too unrefined and they are learning. Boxers at the end of their careers should not be judged for fighting poorly. They are adjusting to their new position in life and they are learning.

As fans we can only trust that in time our memories of these fighters at their peak will replace the current site of them at their lowest.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
I'm of the school that says each horrible defeat stains a great fighter's legacy BUT the moment Roy and Evander stop fighting, all that shit and ugly losses go away.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
I'm of the school that says each horrible defeat stains a great fighter's legacy BUT the moment Roy and Evander stop fighting, all that shit and ugly losses go away.

I wish I could say that. Football is different. I don't think of Deon or Jordan in washington. They are in my memory on other teams. However boxing is different. BHOP had to keep fighting to remove those shitty loses to taylor and joe. He fixed things about his career. Sure he was is a HOF'er but still. A shitty fight or a loss is still a shitty fight or a loss. I still can look at them in their prime though. But I always remember how they went out.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
I wish I could say that. Football is different. I don't think of Deon or Jordan in washington. They are in my memory on other teams. However boxing is different. BHOP had to keep fighting to remove those shitty loses to taylor and joe. He fixed things about his career. Sure he was is a HOF'er but still. A shitty fight or a loss is still a shitty fight or a loss. I still can look at them in their prime though. But I always remember how they went out.

You might and you wouldn't be alone but when their HoF inductions come, no one will be talking about Roy getting ko'd in Moscow. Look at Mike Tyson. People talk about how dominate he was but those horrible losses to McBride and those other lames never come up. People want to remember their heroes and favorites in the best light and time will magnify the victories and minimize the losses. In effect, people will think of them as losses that happened late in their careers and those become footnotes. How do people remember Ali? Guy who had wars with Frazier and beat the unbeatable Foreman or the guy who lost to Trever Berbick? Same with Ray Leonard.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
I dont think it will effect his legacy. Everyone knows RJJ should have retired several years ago. And in the future, when his legacy is discussed (long after he retires), it will be more about his dominant years as the pound for pound king.... not of his last 7 years or so....This is a shell of RJJ fighting right now.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I dont think it will effect his legacy. Everyone knows RJJ should have retired several years ago. And in the future, when his legacy is discussed (long after he retires), it will be more about his dominant years as the pound for pound king.... not of his last 7 years or so....This is a shell of RJJ fighting right now.

true...

real fight fans KNOW it wasnt HIS fault that the division was weak when he was in his prime

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
Funny how the two fighters names people discussed. are two you can debate about how great they were. I never was a RJJ fan. I think he was a great talent but lacked the resolve to be great and ate off the lambs hbo gave to him to slaughter. Tyson was a force but was exposed and spiral into a high pile of shit. His best wins were against suspect talent at best. Still if you look at numbers these guys were great.

I think a fight to better look at was oscar. He has a body of work that is impressive an his fall was kind of fast. His legacy is also coming up short and not winning many as an underdog. But i think this is more about how he career ended. How does that impact how you view him. It doesnt impact my view much. He tried to fight the best and lost. Big difference from fighting bums an losing to bums when you fall off.

Lol, real fight fans.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
The debate about the greatness of Roy Jones isn't even open. He's a shoe-in for HoF and belongs in any pantheons of all time greats, overall and in his divisions. Dude had quite a few tomato cans to beat up on but when he faced top comp, he was just as dominant.
Tyson isn't an open and shut case but he fought and beat most of the top heavyweights at the time. Going by Evander's words, Tyson probably would have beaten him too if they had fought when it was originally scheduled (Evander says he was going to try to stay away from Mike's power until he saw Buster Douglas beat Mike by muscling him and crowding him).
Oscar's knock was that he lost his biggest fights: Tito, Hopkins, Mosley, Floyd. But he was good fighter and a huge draw and he did get some wins over top names (not going into how he played a lot of matchmaking games, that's how it is). I don't think his losses to Mayweather and Pacquiao hurt him at all. Most fighters go out losing. That's how they know it's time to stop.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
I just thought RJJ could have done so much more. His career became a dud when he went to light heavy. Everybody was ass until he fought ruiz and tarver. If great is not taking challenges then he did that fir a long ass time.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
I just thought RJJ could have done so much more. His career became a dud when he went to light heavy. Everybody was ass until he fought ruiz and tarver. If great is not taking challenges then he did that fir a long ass time.

He was open to and wanted to fight Calzaghe and Michaelzewski but neither wanted to come to America and Jones was not going to their countries where they had a history of bias judging.
Other than them, who was he supposed to fight he didn't fight?

merce77

Star
Registered
He was open to and wanted to fight Calzaghe and Michaelzewski but neither wanted to come to America and Jones was not going to their countries where they had a history of bias judging.

Sven Ottke.:hmm:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
Fuck you, merce!:lol::lol: I had to scroll all the way down to get to the :lol:s and the whole way I was like :confused: "Is he fucking serious?":lol::lol:

merce77

Star
Registered
It's a shame he couldn't hang around at middleweight for longer than he did. There were some great matchups there for him, not that I think he would have lost to any of them but G-Man McClellan, Nigel Benn, Mike McCallum, Michael Nunn, Julian Jackson,Sumbu Kalambay.......but Roy was too big in the upper body to stick around there and by the time he got to 168 most those guys were gone.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
Funny how the two fighters names people discussed. are two you can debate about how great they were. I never was a RJJ fan. I think he was a great talent but lacked the resolve to be great and ate off the lambs hbo gave to him to slaughter. Tyson was a force but was exposed and spiral into a high pile of shit. His best wins were against suspect talent at best. Still if you look at numbers these guys were great.

I think a fight to better look at was oscar. He has a body of work that is impressive an his fall was kind of fast. His legacy is also coming up short and not winning many as an underdog. But i think this is more about how he career ended. How does that impact how you view him. It doesnt impact my view much. He tried to fight the best and lost. Big difference from fighting bums an losing to bums when you fall off.

Lol, real fight fans.

Ive always thought Oscar was overrated. He definitely never ran from a fight but he also has taken losses in a lot of his big fights.

Ive been critical of RJJ because of his lack of defensive technique, but I would easily rate him over Oscar. In his prime, I think RJJ could have given anyone fits at middleweight..im talking about historically...anyone because he was a true freak of nature.... and im not even calling him a top middleweight of all-time....im just saying that in his prime, his speed, quickness, power, etc could overwhelm anyone... i mean...dude made a prime James Toney look normal...though toney looked drained

Tyson is easily the most overrated boxer of all-time in my opinion. However, I think if he had Gus around for long and didnt have such a destructive personal life, he could have been much greater.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered

Michaelzewski was the only dude in his weight class anyone could ever say he should have met. But when I say challenges I mean heavyweight. he flirted by talking about doing it forbyears but waited forever to make that jump. A clear case of saying things in a ring but not actually going through with it. Lewis holyfield tyson. All dudes he teased fans with but finally fought ruiz. Smh.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
Ive always thought Oscar was overrated. He definitely never ran from a fight but he also has taken losses in a lot of his big fights.

Oscar ran like a muhfucka from fighting Winky Wright and should have given Ike Quartey a rematch.

Michaelzewski was the only dude in his weight class anyone could ever say he should have met. But when I say challenges I mean heavyweight. he flirted by talking about doing it forbyears but waited forever to make that jump. A clear case of saying things in a ring but not actually going through with it. Lewis holyfield tyson. All dudes he teased fans with but finally fought ruiz. Smh.

After watching Holyfield get beat by Toney and Tyson dissolve, I'm sure he wishes he had cashed those checks too. Then people would be talking about him as a p4p greatest ever. But I think it's unfair to knock him for fighting Ruiz. Ruiz beat Holyfield and was a champ at the time when Tyson was not (Lewis was just too big, not a safe fight, not in whether he could win or lose but in regards to his physical safety). He still accomplished a historic feat by winning a heavyweight title coming up from middleweight.

O.J PIMPSON

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I don't think Tyson was ever exposed. He surrounded himself with fucked up people and training and let the bullshit get to him and lost. If Mike keeps Rooney and them, Japan never happens, he beats Evander in his prime and everything

merce77

Star
Registered
Oscar ran like a muhfucka from fighting Winky Wright and should have given Ike Quartey a rematch.

After watching Holyfield get beat by Toney and Tyson dissolve, I'm sure he wishes he had cashed those checks too. Then people would be talking about him as a p4p greatest ever. But I think it's unfair to knock him for fighting Ruiz. Ruiz beat Holyfield and was a champ at the time when Tyson was not (Lewis was just too big, not a safe fight, not in whether he could win or lose but in regards to his physical safety). He still accomplished a historic feat by winning a heavyweight title coming up from middleweight.

Roy prolly would've stopped that shell of a fighter that Tyson became but any other fight (worth some money) after that other than Holyfield would have been seriously reaching. Roy was never actually a true heavyweight.

Yeah, Oscar pulled a Forrest Gump against Winky but let's not forget that Ike Quartey pulled a Marvin Hagler after that Oscar fight and said "fuck ya'll". He didn't fight for over a year then fought Vargas, lost and retired for five after that. I don't think Oscar would really have had a problem giving Quartey a rematch. Plus don't forget Oscar had his big money fight with Tito after that.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
Yeah, Oscar pulled a Forrest Gump against Winky

Shit.. Oscar unnecessarily pulled a Forrest Gump against Tito the last few rounds..he was winning the fight and not hurt :confused::smh: He begged for the judges to take it away from him and they obliged...

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered

I don't knock him for fighting ruiz. I actually give ruiz mad props for being a two time heavyweight champ. I hated how he fought, but he won a lots of fights. I think that was easily one of rjj biggests wins. And it was one that shut me up about him stepping up and taking a challenge.

Oh yeah. Look at who Oscar fought. And you really think he was running from Winky?

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
I don't think Tyson was ever exposed. He surrounded himself with fucked up people and training and let the bullshit get to him and lost. If Mike keeps Rooney and them, Japan never happens, he beats Evander in his prime and everything

the jab douglas put on him was the blueprint to beat mike. if that wasn't mike being exposed then I don't know what was.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
Roy solidified his legacy long ago....

with what fights? If you mean a long time ago when he finally fought a light heavyweight that wasn't scared of him, yeah. to me that was the main issue fighters had with roy. they were scared of him. tarver wasn't. that's why he won.

merce77

Star
Registered
I don't knock him for fighting ruiz. I actually give ruiz mad props for being a two time heavyweight champ. I hated how he fought, but he won a lots of fights. I think that was easily one of rjj biggests wins. And it was one that shut me up about him stepping up and taking a challenge.

Oh yeah. Look at who Oscar fought. And you really think he was running from Winky?

I'm not an Oscar basher but he would have looked terrible against Winky imo. I've always given Oscar his props and said had he just stuck to boxing and trained diligently, he would have had a much better career, too much going on in his life(that bullshit music career didn't help either) He also fought the wrong fight (Mosley I, Quartey, Mayweather) on more than one occasion so his boxing IQ is in question.
There was no money in that Winky fight at all for him and he more than likely wouldn't have looked good losing to him. He looked better losing to B-Hop, at least he stood his ground and I actually had him winning the fight by a round before Bernard took over on him. Maybe I'm wrong about the Winky fight but I just think the style match up was all wrong for him.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
the jab douglas put on him was the blueprint to beat mike. if that wasn't mike being exposed then I don't know what was.

Yep. I was arguing this on main board a few months that Mike always struggled with taller boxers that could jab... even earlier in his career where he was undefeated he had fights where he went the distance and ate a lot of jabs and didnt win as convincingly as the cards read

merce77

Star
Registered
Yep. I was arguing this on main board a few months that Mike always struggled with taller boxers that could jab... even earlier in his career where he was undefeated he had fights where he went the distance and ate a lot of jabs and didnt win as convincingly as the cards read

This is what always killed me about the pro-Tyson crowd arguing that he would have beaten Ali or a prime Holmes. Those dudes had two of the best and quickest jabs in heavyweight history and Mike was always on some reset shit when he got jabbed. And when he was clinched dude was like a shark when turned upside down.

O.J PIMPSON

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

an untrained, not in shape, not focused Mike Tyson. You telling me Douglas beats Mike at his best??!! Hell no!! No way:smh::smh::smh:

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Jones unified almost every belt at light heavy with dominating shut out wins over every champion and went on to make defenses against almost every single guy in the Ring top ten. Jones did more than most guys do in their divisions today. Actually, he's probably the last guy to do this.

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor
with what fights? If you mean a long time ago when he finally fought a light heavyweight that wasn't scared of him, yeah. to me that was the main issue fighters had with roy. they were scared of him. tarver wasn't. that's why he won.

the competition was terrible at that time its really hard to gauge Roy's greatness....by the time Tarver got 2 RJJ he was already slowing down....Ruiz was his greatest conquest it was downhill after that....

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
Jones unified almost every belt at light heavy with dominating shut out wins over every champion and went on to make defenses against almost every single guy in the Ring top ten. Jones did more than most guys do in their divisions today. Actually, he's probably the last guy to do this.

Against who? I mean I can't think of anyone except virgil hill. and we saw virgil was not the boxer we thought he was.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
an untrained, not in shape, not focused Mike Tyson. You telling me Douglas beats Mike at his best??!! Hell no!! No way:smh::smh::smh:

we are speculating. the fact is that a focus douglas beat tyson. we don't know if that douglas would have done any worse or better. all we can say is the unified heavyweight champ got ktfo by douglas. I mean the way you are talking is like we shouldn't count the loss because tyson wasn't focus.