Roy Jones Jr. and the Legacy Debate

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
It is simple for me when I look at fighters. It is all about who you fought and how you fought in those fights. It isn't just about wins for me when I measure a fighters greatness.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
I don't think Tyson was ever exposed. He surrounded himself with fucked up people and training and let the bullshit get to him and lost. If Mike keeps Rooney and them, Japan never happens, he beats Evander in his prime and everything

Gotta disagree. Evander said he figured out how to beat Tyson from watching the Douglas fight, the very definition of being "exposed". Without that fight, Tyson beats Holyfield.

Roy prolly would've stopped that shell of a fighter that Tyson became but any other fight (worth some money) after that other than Holyfield would have been seriously reaching. Roy was never actually a true heavyweight.

Yep. I'm thinking he beats Holyfield and Tyson at that point when he was still very strong and they were on a hard decline. But Lewis or the Klitschkos would have been suicide.

Yeah, Oscar pulled a Forrest Gump against Winky but let's not forget that Ike Quartey pulled a Marvin Hagler after that Oscar fight and said "fuck ya'll". He didn't fight for over a year then fought Vargas, lost and retired for five after that. I don't think Oscar would really have had a problem giving Quartey a rematch. Plus don't forget Oscar had his big money fight with Tito after that.

I forgot Ike got missing but according to the logic of some on this board, Oscar should have made that fight anyway.

I don't knock him for fighting ruiz. I actually give ruiz mad props for being a two time heavyweight champ. I hated how he fought, but he won a lots of fights. I think that was easily one of rjj biggests wins. And it was one that shut me up about him stepping up and taking a challenge.
Then what are you talking about in this thread? He was a strong middleweight champion and dominated the light heavyweight division, moved up and knocked off a top heavyweight and a reigning heavyweight champion.

Oh yeah. Look at who Oscar fought. And you really think he was running from Winky?

Yes. Did they fight? Winky was all but begging and at the time was winning and had the HBO machine behind him. They were even co-promoting together. Dude even called out Oscar in his face and Oscar went, to borrow a phrase, Forrest Gump on him.

with what fights? If you mean a long time ago when he finally fought a light heavyweight that wasn't scared of him, yeah. to me that was the main issue fighters had with roy. they were scared of him. tarver wasn't. that's why he won.

Going by your metric, doesn't Roy get credit for giving Tarver a rematch after beating him the first time? He didn't have to since he won 7-9 rounds of their first fight but he did.
Roy's mistake was ever coming back down to light heavy. He should have stayed a heavyweight and made those Tyson/Holyfield fights and retired a very, very rich man.

This is what always killed me about the pro-Tyson crowd arguing that he would have beaten Ali or a prime Holmes. Those dudes had two of the best and quickest jabs in heavyweight history and Mike was always on some reset shit when he got jabbed. And when he was clinched dude was like a shark when turned upside down.
Oh man, a prime Holmes would have eaten Mike up to the point of crippling his career like Ali did Foreman.

It is simple for me when I look at fighters. It is all about who you fought and how you fought in those fights. It isn't just about wins for me when I measure a fighters greatness.

Then Roy's greatness shouldn't be in question.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
Then what are you talking about in this thread? He was a strong middleweight champion and dominated the light heavyweight division, moved up and knocked off a top heavyweight and a reigning heavyweight champion.

He was a strong middleweight champ. I give him that. He was a dominate LHW champ. But that was filled with 99% of junk fights. Not one challenging fight happened until he came back after ruiz. I give him props for the ruiz fight.

Going by your metric, doesn't Roy get credit for giving Tarver a rematch after beating him the first time? He didn't have to since he won 7-9 rounds of their first fight but he did.
Roy's mistake was ever coming back down to light heavy. He should have stayed a heavyweight and made those Tyson/Holyfield fights and retired a very, very rich man.
He gets credit for that fight. But to me that fight exposed him as a fighter that if you challenge him you have a chance. Roy probably wishes he kept fighting hbo supplied LHW bums after tarver. but he was going downhill and was exposed after their first fight.

Then Roy's greatness shouldn't be in question.
That's your opinion. I am willing to say he was a great talent. I am willing to say him moving up from middleweight to beating a HW champ was incredible. But I didn't see him in enough challenging fights to know where I would rate him all time wise as a fighter.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
Yep. I'm thinking he beats Holyfield and Tyson at that point when he was still very strong and they were on a hard decline. But Lewis or the Klitschkos would have been suicide.

Agreed on all accounts. And we know RJJ doesnt deal well with overhand rights....Lewis could have put dude in a coma...

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
He was a strong middleweight champ. I give him that. He was a dominate LHW champ. But that was filled with 99% of junk fights. Not one challenging fight happened until he came back after ruiz. I give him props for the ruiz fight.

No one is claiming the division was deep but he did dominate it and he beat nearly everybody. It's not like there were these great light heavys he wasn't fighting and choosing to fight gas station attendants instead.

He gets credit for that fight. But to me that fight exposed him as a fighter that if you challenge him you have a chance. Roy probably wishes he kept fighting hbo supplied LHW bums after tarver. but he was going downhill and was exposed after their first fight.

While it looks like the beginning of the end for Roy, the first fight just looked like him having a hard time adjusting to cutting so much muscle to make weight (and he still won 7-9 rounds) and the ko in the second was just one of those things. If anything, Tarver became terribly overrated because of those two fights. If Roy had never gone up to heavy, Tarver would just be another guy nobody can remember that got beat by Roy Jones.

That's your opinion. I am willing to say he was a great talent. I am willing to say him moving up from middleweight to beating a HW champ was incredible. But I didn't see him in enough challenging fights to know where I would rate him all time wise as a fighter.

Of course it's my opinion but the idea of Roy's legacy being debated is in a very, very small minority, like Southerners who think they were right in the Civil War.
There weren't enough challenging fights for him because he was an incredible fighter. But he's got at least two HoF guys on his resume and a historic feat. This isn't debatable.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
I like how you guys always try to cut down people's opinion with personal attacks. Because I think Roy's resume is pretty paded as legends go. I am like a southern who thinks the civil.... Why I even bother?
No one is claiming the division was deep but he did dominate it and he beat nearly everybody. It's not like there were these great light heavys he wasn't fighting and choosing to fight gas station attendants instead.

While it looks like the beginning of the end for Roy, the first fight just looked like him having a hard time adjusting to cutting so much muscle to make weight (and he still won 7-9 rounds) and the ko in the second was just one of those things. If anything, Tarver became terribly overrated because of those two fights. If Roy had never gone up to heavy, Tarver would just be another guy nobody can remember that got beat by Roy Jones.

Of course it's my opinion but the idea of Roy's legacy being debated is in a very, very small minority, like Southerners who think they were right in the Civil War.
There weren't enough challenging fights for him because he was an incredible fighter. But he's got at least two HoF guys on his resume and a historic feat. This isn't debatable.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
Agreed on all accounts. And we know RJJ doesnt deal well with overhand rights....Lewis could have put dude in a coma...

I dont know. When roy was barking about those guys. He was looking impressive. But against who? I wish we could have seen him fight those guys. I really do.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
I like how you guys always try to cut down people's opinion with personal attacks. Because I think Roy's resume is pretty paded as legends go. I am like a southern who thinks the civil.... Why I even bother?

I missed the personal attack in that quote. I'm not above a good personal dig but you're being overly sensitive on that one.

I dont know. When roy was barking about those guys. He was looking impressive. But against who? I wish we could have seen him fight those guys. I really do.

Holyfield and Tyson? Me too. But I have/had no desire to see him fight Lewis or the Klitschkos. There's a challenge and then there's just wanting to see someone get hurt for my own bloodlust.

merce77

Star
Registered
I missed the personal attack in that quote. I'm not above a good personal dig but you're being overly sensitive on that one.

Holyfield and Tyson? Me too. But I have/had no desire to see him fight Lewis or the Klitschkos. There's a challenge and then there's just wanting to see someone get hurt for my own bloodlust.

You're better than that Dave.

But I'm not.:lol::dance::dance::dance:

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
You're better than that Dave.

But I'm not.:lol::dance::dance::dance:

:lol::lol::lol: I can (and have) have made exceptions. I wanted Manny to retire Margarito and give him what he was trying to give to Cotto (and probably others). But I wouldn't want to see those guys, giants among the heavyweight division, fight guys like Jones and Toney, blown up (one with muscle, the other with fat) light heavys.

merce77

Star
Registered
:lol::lol::lol: I can (and have) have made exceptions. I wanted Manny to retire Margarito and give him what he was trying to give to Cotto (and probably others). But I wouldn't want to see those guys, giants among the heavyweight division, fight guys like Jones and Toney, blown up (one with muscle, the other with fat) light heavys.

I hope Cotto permanently damages his other eye on Dec. 3rd.:yes:

I was jk anyway. I'm not a dude who likes to see violence just for the sake of violence but on the other hand if a dude knows he's getting into some serious shit and does it for the paycheck, I find it hard to feel sorry for them. Like you though, Margarito was a definite exception. I wouldn't be mad at all if he got a Davey Moore-like beating:yes:

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
I hope Cotto permanently damages his other eye on Dec. 3rd.:yes:

I was jk anyway. I'm not a dude who likes to see violence just for the sake of violence but on the other hand if a dude knows he's getting into some serious shit and does it for the paycheck, I find it hard to feel sorry for them. Like you though, Margarito was a definite exception. I wouldn't be mad at all if he got a Davey Moore-like beating:yes:

Agreed.

Cotto-Margarito II. :smh::smh::smh::smh::smh: With jr middle as deep as it is, this is who Cotto fights? If he loses, he should just quit.

merce77

Star
Registered
Wolak? Gotta check him out.

Dude fights all 3 minutes of every round, phone booth type dude. Pretty good power, he's also a relentless combo puncher and he digs to the body at every opportunity. He's not a technical guy but his fights are very exciting, I think his style would give Cotto a lot of problems. He's like a smaller, faster, Margarito. I thought that was the logical match up being that they beat Foreman back to back and they're both Top Rank guys. But Bob Arum:smh:

patscorpio

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I don't knock him for fighting ruiz. I actually give ruiz mad props for being a two time heavyweight champ. I hated how he fought, but he won a lots of fights. I think that was easily one of rjj biggests wins. And it was one that shut me up about him stepping up and taking a challenge.

Oh yeah. Look at who Oscar fought. And you really think he was running from Winky?

there was nothing great about john ruiz...he was a cancer on the heavyweight division as wba champ....its says volumes that 2 former middleweights were able to beat him with ease....i was cheering the beating haye put on him that sent him into retirement

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
there was nothing great about john ruiz...he was a cancer on the heavyweight division as wba champ....its says volumes that 2 former middleweights were able to beat him with ease....i was cheering the beating haye put on him that sent him into retirement

Did I say john ruiz was great? No matter what you think of ruiz he was still a two time champ. And roy beating him was impressive.

tp2001

Star
Registered
Yep. I was arguing this on main board a few months that Mike always struggled with taller boxers that could jab... even earlier in his career where he was undefeated he had fights where he went the distance and ate a lot of jabs and didnt win as convincingly as the cards read

:yes::yes::yes::yes: :wepraise:

I raised this same point to my friends when the subject of Tyson vs. the Klitschko brothers came up and I said that Tyson could beat one, but I was unsure about both...I think Vitali could beat him and they completely wrote off that notion and they were like :hmm:

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
Dude fights all 3 minutes of every round, phone booth type dude. Pretty good power, he's also a relentless combo puncher and he digs to the body at every opportunity. He's not a technical guy but his fights are very exciting, I think his style would give Cotto a lot of problems. He's like a smaller, faster, Margarito. I thought that was the logical match up being that they beat Foreman back to back and they're both Top Rank guys. But Bob Arum:smh:

You know he's cashing out (did we invent that phrase?) Margarito while some Mexicans will still pay to see him fight. First Pac and now a Puerto Rico vs Mexico revenge fight. Arum's like Vince McMahon with this shit.

Did I say john ruiz was great? No matter what you think of ruiz he was still a two time champ. And roy beating him was impressive.

:yes::yes:

:yes::yes::yes::yes: :wepraise:

I raised this same point to my friends when the subject of Tyson vs. the Klitschko brothers came up and I said that Tyson could beat one, but I was unsure about both...I think Vitali could beat him and they completely wrote off that notion and they were like :hmm:

The legend is always bigger and better than reality.