Muslims outraged over cartoons

Greed

Star
Registered
Re: Embassies torched as cartoon furor grows

you keep equating a free press with the government. there is a reason why the word free is in there.

so who is having it both ways? if the american government does something and the free press says something different, then that is not america trying to have it both ways. these governments tell muslims to be tolerant and the free press printed the pics and said stop being so sensitive. at what point is it ok for muslims to have such a extreme reaction be their mainstream reaction?

on another note, 2250 US soldiers' deaths in iraq is about disrupting the dynamics that an entire region shares that motivates people to travel 10k miles to fly a few planes into buildings.

we would have been quite satisfied if they killed each other within their own borders, but since it touched us we felt the need to touch back.

it just so happen that a fringe benefit for the region is they get to explore their innate human desire to choose their own path.

so no, we are not there to liberate them. a by-product of us being there is they were liberated.

either way, my ultimate point is this irrational behavior by muslims should not influence western countries' behavior. if it wasnt this that set them off then it would have been something else.

nittie

Star
Registered

1st of all a free press is under the jurisdicition of the government, thinking our government and press acts independently is naive we know better than that.

on another note, 2250 US soldiers' deaths in iraq is about disrupting the dynamics that an entire region shares that motivates people to travel 10k miles to fly a few planes into buildings.

This is true but how does insulting moral and religious values with people you are are trying to persuade further peace if peace is your ultimate goal? It seems to me that what we really want is war that is the message Muslims are getting from the West.

so no, we are not there to liberate them. a by-product of us being there is they were liberated.

This is not what the Bush administration is telling us, according to latest proclomation from them we are there to liberate the Iraqi people.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator

<font size="5"><center>Europe's Uncivilized Act</font size></center>

Arab News
Nasim Zehra
Tuesday, 7, February, 2006 (08, Muharram, 1427)

There is no battle to be fought with those who indulged in the ugly act of deliberately insulting my Prophet (peace be upon him). I am numbed with outrage over this uncivilized act they have committed. I would simply say to them yours are no civilized ways. Whatever your claims to the contrary, they actually betray a people with a reactionary mindset.

Those who become possessed by anger when confronted with difficult and challenging situations. Anger halts our ability to probe and to reflect. Instead, depending on our location in life, if we are advantageously placed, we self-righteously give ourselves the license to pronounce verdict and take action to right a wrong. As many European publications have done. This is their crass response to the growing post-9/11 anti-Islamic sentiment. And for people in the business of opinion making to indulge in such reactive acts is extremely dangerous. It is highly irresponsible. These are people who must play the role of promoting greater understanding - pulling people away from extremist thought and action. Not join the vanguard of anger-prompted extremism.

Policy-makers and opinion-making community in the West have opted to conduct the discourse on terrorism using a terminology that has unwittingly but dangerously indicted the 1.2 billion Muslims in the world. Terms like Muslim terrorists, Islamic terrorists and Islamic terrorism have led to the demonization of the Muslims and of Islam. Whatever the European papers may claim they are upholding by ridiculing the Holy Prophet, they would have not contemplated doing so in a pre-9/11 environment.

Social tensions may have existed in pre-9/11 Europe but in post-9/11 the tensions have vastly augmented. Muslims make for easy targets. So does their faith. This is how a section of the Europeans have opted to express their resentment against the terrorist attacks, as is evident from the contents of the cartoons.

This is a season of acute polarization. For example if the on-line responses of the public are any guide, this act of insulting the Prophet has unfortunately received widespread public support in many European countries. The thrust mostly is that there is no reason to compromise on our value of freedom of expression, that if Muslims can't deal with this they must leave, that Muslims are hypocrites because they show no tolerance toward minorities but expect to be shown tolerance.

In some cases individuals have argued that such cartoons should often be printed to get the Muslims to ultimately be more accepting of freedom of expression! They say this is what we do to our own. Sadly so, we would say. But please do not drag our revered ones in your messy notion of the freedom of speech. You have evolved into a culture which licenses unlimited permissiveness. In spite of our own mistakes, our many shortcomings, our morally and intellectually anemic leadership, there are some touchstones of our civilization. It includes the respect of religion and our faith in God Almighty.

Deliberately defiling the Prophet is a highly irresponsible act. It is bound to have negative social and political fall-out. It exacerbates the existing social tensions among the locals and the Muslim population. Within the Muslims it is bound to create more alienation and resentment toward the Westerners who, have chosen to be completely indifferent toward the faith and feelings of the Muslims across the world. It is the arrogance of these Westerners they will resent. Like millions of Westerners who have opted to not view terrorists as a fringe phenomenon within the Muslims and instead referred to terrorism as Islamic terrorism, many Muslims too will wrongly implicate the Westerners across the board for this blasphemous act against the Prophet.

At the popular level we require a rollback of the school that promotes the dangerous talk of clash of civilizations. For now the cartoon incident will merely serve to reinforce the worst of what many Muslims may believe of a growing intolerant Europe.

The framing and the discussion of the issue of terrorism has created a permissive environment which is responsible for this caricaturing of the Prophet; of hurting the feelings and ridiculing the faith of a huge section of the entire human race. They paid no heed to the protests. Instead they resented and condemned the nature of the protests. True the protests should have been calmer. Frenzied outrage was unnecessary and as were threats to kill. But nothing justified the reprinting of those insulting cartoons across many European countries including France, Germany, the Netherlands, Italy and Switzerland.

The leadership in most of these countries has not been willing to contest the wisdom of publishing cartoons that are highly disrespectful to another people's faith. In fact the degree if insensitivity of the Danish prime minister can be gauged from the fact that when after the September publication the Muslims in Denmark sent repeated requests to meet with the prime minister, he repeatedly ignored their request. Essentially conveying "I really don't give a damn". Subsequently the Muslim leaders repeatedly went to the Middle East and other Muslim countries and showed them what the Danish papers had done. Subsequently the reaction acquired these proportions.

In Denmark the anti-Muslim sentiment has been growing at a rapid pace for the past ten years. The Fogh Rasmussen government has actively sought to dispel and block Muslim residents from Denmark. The cartoon is just the tip of the iceberg.

However that the notion of freedom of expression cannot be translated into unlimited freedom to abuse another's faith is basic common sense. But also the way many Europeans have selectively applied the principle of freedom of expression is intriguing. When the ancient Buddhas in Afghanistan were criminally destroyed by the Taleban, the Europeans screamed murder the loudest. We all did too in the Muslim world.

What was that protest for? So destruction of history is blasphemous but the attempted destruction of a people's faith and deeply treasured symbols is not? This is the perversity of post-modernism which seeks the right to destroy and deconstruct selectively and give that right a sacred status. Also if the freedom of expression is so sacred how many European papers have dared to support what the Iranian president said about questioning the reality of the Holocaust?

Clearly the principle of freedom has to be practiced within some rationale and egalitarian framework. It cannot be an elitist concept that a special color or creed will have more right to exercise. Why does this right not respect another's right to choose what is sacred to them, since that what is sacred is not at the cost of undermining another's interests. Islam abhors suicide bombings and terrorism. Increasingly Muslim leaders are condemning this openly.

Are the Europeans so generous in applying their concept of freedom of expression at the cost of causing great pain and injury to Muslim world? Is it because their bohemianism has a method to it? The method is to attack and disrespect those who are generally viewed as the politically, scientifically and economically the downtrodden of the human race - the weak and the lambasted, the violated and the angry, the reactive and seething?

These are not the ways of a civilized people. These are ways toward pushing for a grand and mad conflict of civilizations. Will the European media see wisdom is stepping back and reviewing their dangerous notion of freedom of expression?

For now the limited apologies that have come were perhaps prompted by the widespread anger and protests emanating from the Muslim world. But wisdom and true civilized behavior demands that we internalize the limits of our own freedoms where it begins to undermine the freedom of another.

- Nasim Zehra is adjunct professor at School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS), Johns Hopkins University, Washington DC.

http://www.arabnews.com/?page=7&section=0&article=77407&d=7&m=2&y=2006

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator

[frame]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4687996.stm[/frame]

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator

<font size="4">Iranian paper to run Holocaust cartoons </font size>

Tuesday February 7, 2006
The Guardian

Muslim protesters infuriated by cartoons depicting the prophet Muhammad raised the diplomatic stakes last night as Iran's best-selling newspaper announced it would retaliate by running images satirising the Holocaust.

<center>. . .</center>

Hamshari is owned by Tehran city council and its plan follows a string of anti-Zionist statements by Iran's hardline president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, who has dismissed the killing of 6 million Jews by the Nazis in the second world war as a "myth" and called for Israel to be "wiped off the map".

<center>. . .</center>

Farid Mortazavi, the paper's graphics editor, said the cartoons would be published to test the argument of western newspapers which have cited freedom of expression in printing the prophet Muhammad images.

"The western papers printed these sacrilegious cartoons on the pretext of freedom of expression, so let's see if they mean what they say and also print these Holocaust cartoons," Mr Mortazavi said.

Story: http://www.guardian.co.uk/cartoonprotests/story/0,,1703925,00.html

This story is being given too much press.
So the muslims got dissed and now they are upsete. OK!? Typical human reaction. They are doing the only thing they realy can burn empty embassies and dance in the streets burning effigies. It is silly not expect them to be angry and to act surprised that they are.

Greed

Star
Registered

i thought the point wasnt that muslims would be upset, but instead why is it that everytime they get upset they call for the destruction of whole nations and literally the heads of all those personaly responsible.

why is it that people keep making excuses for these extreme actions by mainstream musims?

Greed

Star
Registered

TheGunslinger said:
So the muslims got dissed and now they are upsete. OK!? Typical human reaction. They are doing the only thing they realy can burn empty embassies and dance in the streets burning effigies. It is silly not expect them to be angry and to act surprised that they are.
i thought the point wasnt that muslims would be upset, but instead why is it that everytime they get upset they call for the destruction of whole nations and literally the heads of all those personaly responsible.

why is it that people keep making excuses for these extreme actions by moderate muslims?

Greed said:

why is it that people keep making excuses for these extreme actions by moderate muslims?

Maybe they have pent up anger issues that come to light anytime they get mad. There is no excuse for anyones extreme actions but I guess being muslim makes it look worse.

African Herbsman

Star
Registered

Danish paper refused "offensive" Jesus cartoons

By James Kilner 1 hour, 38 minutes ago

COPENHAGEN (Reuters) - The Danish newspaper that first published caricatures of the Prophet Mohammad infuriating Muslims worldwide previously turned down cartoons of Jesus as too offensive, a cartoonist said on Wednesday.

Twelve cartoons of the Prophet published last September by Jyllands-Posten newspaper have outraged Muslims, provoking violent protests in the Middle East, Africa and Asia.

"My cartoon, which certainly did not offend any Christians I showed it to, was rejected because the editor felt it would be considered offensive to readers -- readers in general, not necessarily Christians," cartoonist Christoffer Zieler said in an email he sent to Reuters on Wednesday.

Jens Kaiser, the former editor of Jyllands-Posten's Sunday edition who turned down the cartoons three years ago, said he had done so because they were no good.

"Having seen the cartoons, I found that they were not very good. I failed to see the purportedly provocative nature," he said in a statement.

"My fault is that I didn't tell him what I really meant: The cartoons were bad." Kaiser said he told Zieler he had not used the cartoons because they were offensive to some readers.

Zieler's five colored cartoons portrayed Jesus jumping out of holes in floors and walls during his resurrection. In one, gnomes rated Jesus for style, another entitled "Saviour-cam" showed Jesus with a camera on his head staring at his feet.

"I do think the cartoons would offend some readers, but only because they were silly," Kaiser said.

Unlike Muslims, who consider depictions of the Prophet to be deeply offensive, many Christians adorn churches with images and sculptures of Jesus. However, some Christian congregations have protested at portrayals they perceive as blasphemous, especially in the cinema.

The editor of Jyllands-Posten has apologized for offending Muslims by printing cartoons of the Prophet Mohammad, including one of the founder of Islam holding a bomb in his turban, but defended his right to do so in the interests of free speech.

Dozens of newspapers in Europe and elsewhere have reproduced them with the same justification.

"Perhaps explaining my story of three years ago in its proper context at least won't make matters any worse," Zieler said.

(Additional reporting by Rasmus Jorgensen)
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060208...W3bEfQA;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Mo Pizorn

Star
Registered
Firstly, here's one pic:

Cartoon%201.jpg

Secondly, let me shine some light on some of the ignorance (ignorance in the dictionary sense meaning "lacking knowledge of") in this post.
The Koran speaks of Jesus and acknowledges him as the son of God. Muslims saw Jesus as a man rather than as a deity. They didn't believe in super-powered miracle-performing Jesus but rather believed that Jesus was a prophet. They believed Mohammed was the last prophet to come to deliver God's message and that he came after Jesus. This is usually where Christians and Muslims part ways. They don't blast Christians for believing in Jesus, they just don't believe that Jesus was a miracle worker but was a prophet and just a man and no they don't believe he rose from the dead.

Thridly, and here's the crucial part to them: They don't believe in making images of Mohammed - not because they think he's too holy but JUST THE OPPOSITE - they think it would lead to worship and get in the way of worshipping God much in the same way that certain sects of Christianity focus worship on Jesus. To them, there is only one God and not even his son is worthy of worship. Its considered heresy.

If there are any Muslims reading this, feel free to correct me as I am not Muslim but I have studied a lil' bit.
I think they have a right to be angry although I'm not into all that violence. Imagine if there was a picture of Jesus with a big ass erection and Mary Magdaline at his feet in a thong. Christians would shit bricks! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

dyhawk

Potential Star
Registered
Next WOrld War The World Vs Islam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...........Get Your Nukes Ready Boys' we going in to break some coconuts............hahahahahaha

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
<font size="5"><center>United states - minus United States</font size></center>

Asia Times
By Ehsan Ahrari
February 9, 2006

For a while after the US invasion of Iraq, it appeared that the idea of "the West" and "Western unity" had become history. But now that idea seems to be reviving precipitously.

It is interesting that the ostensible departure of that idea looked real when a Muslim country was invaded in 2003. Now Western unity is seemingly resurgent in the aftermath of the defiance by another Muslim country (Iran) of the United States (or is the West?) and at a time when Muslims are showing their outrage related to the caricature of the Prophet of Islam. In both instances, Islam has played a perceptible role. Are we about to see the emergence of a great divide, a major schism, between the world of Islam and the West? If so, how permanent is this divide likely to be?

If the history of the Cold War teaches us anything, it is that a conflict of a major proportion and of an enduring nature is a precondition for nation-states to determine on which side of that conflict they want to be. They study the conflict over a period of time, determine how that conflict affects their vital interests, and then evolve their related position. That was what happened between 1945 and 1991. Whether the community of nations now will follow a similar pattern is not quite clear yet.

Islam has already emerged as a major issue that has captured the world's attention, especially for the past five years. As the lone superpower, and as a nation that was targeted by global terrorists on September 11, 2001, the United States got on the offensive against a fanatical government in Afghanistan soon thereafter. Since all the hijackers on September 11 were Muslims, there were a number of legal measures taken inside the US that were perceived in Muslim countries as anti-Islamic in nature. However, the US government, more than any other government in the world, went out of its way to insist that the focus of its outrage was not Islam, but those elements that are determined to perpetrate global chaos and mayhem in the name of that great religion.

Then came the US invasion of Iraq. It is the manner in which the decision was made to invade that country - and the fact that no weapons of mass destruction were found - that intensified Muslim anger. Clearly there was also ample resentment related to what Muslims perceived as "unjust" concomitant public discussions in the United States linking Islam with global terrorism. Then came disclosures of brutal treatment of Iraqi prisoners in the Abu Ghraib prison and that of the "detainees" in the Guantanamo prison. Even though the Bush administration claimed that reports of brutality related to those dungeons were exaggerated, the allegations themselves were seen in Muslim countries simply as more "evidence" of America's ongoing "war" against Islam.

Viewing the conflict from the US side, there is no reason to dismiss the Bush administration's position that it has no fight against Islam. The September 11 attacks legitimately frightened the US leadership, even though its machismo prevented it from saying so. The United States had to react. How much of that reaction was legitimate and at what point one could say the US went over the top was largely a matter of debate. No one can rightly claim to be objective about the issue. If you were a Muslim, you would feel that your religion was unjustifiably targeted, or the US went too far in Afghanistan and Iraq. However, if you are not, there was no such thing as overreaction. After all, the United States was attacked first - it could not have sat back and waited for another attack. By the same token, it could not have taken limited actions against those who deemed killing Americans as some sort of "religious obligation".

Europe was not a part of that fight until al-Qaeda targeted Spain in March 2004, as a tactical maneuver to force it to pull its forces out of Iraq. The fact that the Spanish government withdrew its troops soon thereafter did not persuade that organization not try to push all of Europe toward appeasement. In fact, until the terrorist attacks in Spain, the European perspective was that al-Qaeda's major fight was with the US, and Europe would, somehow, be spared.

As Europe remained schizophrenic about its own position and ambivalent about its role in George W Bush's "global war on terrorism", some of its members showed solidarity by committing troops in Iraq. Only France and Germany remained as major critics and consistent opponents of that "war of choice".

The London bombings of July 7, 2005, marked a point when Europe could no longer remain ambivalent about its role in the "war against terrorism". When the video of one of the terrorists in those bombings was released showing him declaring war against European countries, the die was cast. Europe could no longer remain on the sidelines. But Europe's participation in this war became idiosyncratic of its perception of Islam, a perception that has deep historical roots.

Regarding the "global war on terrorism", there is a major difference between the United States and Europe. Americans do not have long memories of interacting with Islam or colonizing Muslim countries. Besides, in the United States, "political correctness" is more than a bumper-sticker statement. Intuitively speaking, a large number of people are genuine practitioners of not offending anyone's faith in the name of freedom of expression. Thus a majority of Americans are at least intellectually capable of making the distinction between the perverse terrorist logic of relating their action to Islam and the religion of Islam itself.

In contrast, Europe - where anti-Islamic feelings related to the Ottoman conquests between the 12th and 16th centuries never really vanished - has shown little evidence of really comprehending that distinction. Besides, Europe was a region that produced the most nefarious evidence of anti-Semitism in the form of creating the Holocaust. Europe is also a region - if one includes Russia as an extension of it - that has the legacy of creating gulags, another depressing legacy of human suffering. In other words, Europe has historically demonstrated that, given a chance, it is capable of manifesting worse examples of hatred. Europe is also busy constantly raising the bar regarding the entry of Turkey in the European Union, largely because it is a Muslim country. That type of legacy is substantially absent from US history.

In this context, it seems that Europe is only beginning to show that it is capable of demonstrating anti-Islamic tendencies in the name of freedom of expression (eg, the cartoon episodes of the Nordic countries). The London Guardian reported on February 6 that the same Danish paper that published the caricatures of the Prophet of Islam - claiming to exercise freedom of expression - refused to publish (and rightly so) similar cartoons of Jesus three years ago for fear of offending Christians. If it decided to be circumspect then by not publishing those cartoons, why did it apply a different rule in the case of offending Muslims? At the same time, some European countries can stifle freedom of choice by conveniently passing laws against hijab, Islam's female dress code (eg, France for now, but there are reports that European countries are also considering the passage of similar laws), when it suits their purpose.

Iran's nuclear aspirations have to be viewed in the same context and from the European perspective: an Islamist government creating a fiction of not developing nuclear weapons while, in reality, that is where it is heading if it is allowed to continue its uranium-enrichment programs. The involvement of the EU-3 countries (the United Kingdom, France and Germany) has made that conflict very central to the EU's future role in resolving global issues. At least that is a general perception in a number of the European capitals. In this instance, Islam is also a player, at least in the minds of the Europeans.

So it seems that a great divide is emerging between "the West" and the East. The West seems to be uniting on issues related to Islam. It is too early to surmise how long this divide is likely to last. It might not last long at all. One thing appears certain, however. As the lone superpower - since it is determined to ensure the longevity of the present unipolar order - the United States is likely to work hard to close this divide. In the case of Iran, it has wisely let the EU-3 countries play a visible role in negotiating with Iran, thereby allowing diplomacy to proceed. At the same time, it has wisely decided to create a physical distance from Europe in the caricature-related controversy. It declared them as "offensive", but also has also supported the related exercise of freedom of expression.

The Europeans might not know this, but the United States would not want the "return" of the "West" that would sow seeds of intense resentment and hatred toward that very idea in the world of Islam. The US has most to lose, not the Europeans.

Ehsan Ahrari is a CEO of Strategic Paradigms, an Alexandria, Virginia-based defense consultancy. He can be reached at eahrari@cox.net or stratparadigms@yahoo.com. His columns appear regularly in Asia Times Online. His website: www.ehsanahrari.com.

(Copyright 2006 Asia Times Online Ltd. All rights reserved. Please contact us for information on sales, syndication and republishing .)

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/HB10Ak02.html

wiZe

Star
Registered
Crazy thing about this issue is that I didn't hear of any Muslim outrage when the Taliban was destroying Hindu or Buddhist temples and holy monuments. Shit, Muslims have disrespected other people's religions throughout history and continue til this day. I've been in plenty of Masjids, made Salat with enough Muslims to know that they really think all other religions are pure shit. Hell, look at the history of Africa and Islam and dispite the propaganda, Muslims continue to shit on traditional African religions. I don't agree with mocking things that are sacred to others (well...I don't agree 90% of the time. :) ) but certainly the Muslim world as a whole shouldn't act so innocent. I do think they have every right to be offended but like most humans, they seem to never smell when their shit stinks.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator

TheGunslinger said:

<font size="5"><center>The Egyptian media published cartoons</font size></center>

The Australian
From correspondents in Copenhagen
February 10, 2006

AN Egyptian newspaper published several of the cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed that have sparked outrage across the Muslim world, Denmark's ambassador in Cairo, Bjarne Soerensen, told Danish news agency Ritzau today.

Six of the 12 cartoons of Mohammed, which first appeared in the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten last September, were also published in the Egyptian newspaper Al Fagr on October 17 to illustrate an article criticising their initial publication.

Muslim protests over the drawings, including one depicting the Muslim prophet wearing a bomb-shaped turban, have swelled over the past week to include the torching of Danish embassies and flags, boycotts of Danish goods and violent demonstrations in which a number of people died.

Other European countries where the caricatures have been published have also been the target of angry protests, but according to Mr Soerensen, <u>their publication in Egypt had not appeared to provoke debate or other reactions</u>.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,18101410%5E23109,00.html

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator

<font size="5"><center>Islam teeters at the great divide</font size>

<font size="4">Anger over the Mohammed cartoons is further proof
the religion is at a crossroad</font size></center>

The Australian
By Richard King
February 11, 2006

IN THE film Good Night, And Good Luck, CBS journalist Edward Murrow (brilliantly played by David Strathairn) takes on senator Joe McCarthy, author of the anti-communist witch-hunts that plagued the US in the mid-1950s. Murrow is a paragon of journalistic integrity, but integrity takes its emotional toll. At the end of his dazzling monologues to camera - in the moments of silence between the sign-off and the producer's signal, "And we're out!", Murrow has a haunted look, a look that says, "Have I gone too far?" These scenes are at the centre of the film's moral thrust, for they remind us that courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the attempt to overcome it.

I thought of the look in Murrow's eyes when viewing the controversial cartoons published in Denmark in September and now at the centre of a political firestorm that has set the Islamic world, not to mention a thousand flags, ablaze.

One of these cartoons is of a cartoonist, bent almost double over his pad, perspiring and trying to shield from view the subject of his creative endeavours. For his subject is the Muslim prophet Mohammed, whom certain elements in the Islamic world have deemed may not be depicted at all.

The background to this story is now well known. Kare Bluitgen, a Danish children's author, wanted to write a book for children about the life of Mohammed but couldn't find an illustrator. To Flemming Rose, the culture editor of the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten, Bluitgen's failure to interest artists was revealing of an atmosphere of fear and self-censorship. He therefore invited 40 cartoonists to send in drawings of Mohammed, 12 of which he subsequently printed. One shows Mohammed with a bomb-shaped turban. Another shows him at the gates of heaven addressing a group of suicide bombers: "Stop! Stop! We have run out of virgins!"

As Henryk Broder put it in Der Spiegel, it was as though "a second Abu Ghraib had been discovered in a suburb of Copenhagen". But if reaction to the Danish cartoons was scary, reaction to the reaction was scarier still.

At first the Danish Liberal Prime Minister, Fogh Rasmussen, was stalwart in defence of his country's press freedoms. Since then, however, he has modified his stance, largely because of the danger posed to Danish business interests abroad. Nor has the press been entirely steadfast. When seven papers reprinted the cartoons in solidarity with Jyllands-Posten, the managing editor of France Soir was sacked by its proprietor, Raymond Lakah.

Many who want to report the facts are unable or unwilling to do so properly, for fear that they too will be targeted. The whole affair is beginning to resemble the scene in Monty Python's Life of Brian, in which an exasperated Jewish official attempts to referee a stoning and ends up getting stoned himself.

These events should be all the more resonant now for the fact that we are approaching the anniversary of another assault on civil society by a notable theocratic fascist, the Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini. On February 14, 1989, Khomeini issued a condemnation of The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie. His fatwa declared the book to be blasphemous and called for the murder, not only of its author (an Indian Muslim living in Britain), but of "all those involved in its publication". Since then, the book's Italian translator has been seriously injured in a vicious attack and its Japanese translator stabbed to death. Rushdie himself was forced into hiding.

At a meeting of PEN (the writers' union) that followed the ayatollah's fatwa, a statement was drawn up in support of Rushdie. The British journalist Christopher Hitchens proposed that the statement carry the words "co-responsible for publication" - an act of provocative solidarity that would send a message to the fundamentalists that writers and journalists would not be cowed. Much to Hitchens' surprise and pleasure, the statement was indeed written up in this way, though when it came to publication, "nervous hands" had inserted the words, "while we regret any offence caused to Islam".

Should we regret any offence caused to Islam? Is religion so weak that it cannot absorb it? One is tempted to point out that the offending cartoons do not in fact satirise Mohammed at all, but rather the particular view of Islam peddled by the fundamentalists. That, however, is not the point. The point has to do with our freedom of speech. The cartoonists, had they insulted Islam, would have been quite within their rights to do so.

This clash between religion and freedom of speech is not an exclusively Muslim phenomenon. The popular musical Jerry Springer: The Opera has infuriated Christians worldwide, while in Britain last year a play depicting murder and rape in a Sikh temple was forced to close by an angry mob threatening violence against the cast. But the recent and ongoing Muslim reaction to 12 cartoons in a Danish newspaper is a furore of an entirely different order. It is fundamental in more ways than one.

Of course, there are countless practising Muslims (and secularists within the Muslim world) who do not share the point of view of the masked and marauding fundamentalists. Perhaps the greatest tragedy of all is that they are being spoken for by a minority with whom they have little in common. They are the principal victims here. It is their freedoms that will be the first to go if the fundamentalists get their way.

My own (very gentle) realisation that there is a divide within the Muslim world came when I was living in London. I was working for a Libyan family who owned a small and unprofitable publishing business specialising in facsimile reprints of books on the Middle East and North Africa. One day, eager to show some initiative, I picked up a box of our plush house catalogues with a view to taking them around the corner to a sort of "information centre" run by young Islamic men. "Where are you going with those?" my boss asked. I told him and he looked alarmed. "I'm afraid those guys don't like us much." For them, he said, only one book was needful, and it wasn't Stories From the Arabian Nights.

Rushdie put it well in a recent television interview. Islam, he suggested, was at a crossroads. Will it fall prey to the fundamentalists, or will it, like Judaism and Christianity, evolve into a (largely) peaceful inquiry into the nature and meaning of existence? Only Muslims themselves can decide.

Richard King is a Perth-based freelance journalist.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,18106823%5E28737,00.html

Babicakes

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
wiZe said:
Crazy thing about this issue is that I didn't hear of any Muslim outrage when the Taliban was destroying Hindu or Buddhist temples and holy monuments. Shit, Muslims have disrespected other people's religions throughout history and continue til this day. I've been in plenty of Masjids, made Salat with enough Muslims to know that they really think all other religions are pure shit. Hell, look at the history of Africa and Islam and dispite the propaganda, Muslims continue to shit on traditional African religions. I don't agree with mocking things that are sacred to others (well...I don't agree 90% of the time. :) ) but certainly the Muslim world as a whole shouldn't act so innocent. I do think they have every right to be offended but like most humans, they seem to never smell when their shit stinks.

CO- sign

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
<font size="5"><center>Iran Paper Holds Holocaust Cartoon Contest</font size></center>

Mar 13, 3:08 PM (ET)
Associated Press
By NASSER KARIMI

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) - An Iranian newspaper's contest for Holocaust-related cartoons has drawn entries from 200 people, with some drawings mocking the World War II slaughter: One entry shows Jews going into a gas pipeline.

Most contest entrants are Iranian, but six are Americans, and a few cartoons have been submitted from as far away as Indonesia and Brazil, according to the Hamshahri newspaper. A few of the drawings have been posted online.

Hamshahri began the contest last month as a test of the West's readiness to print cartoons about the Nazi killing of 6 million Jews in World War II. The contest, which runs through May 15, comes in response to caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad that sparked protests across much of the Muslim world.

One submission reflects the opinion of Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, who drew international outrage last year when he said the Holocaust was a myth.

The cartoon, by Iranian Firouzeh Mozafari, shows a circle of nine Jewish men entering and leaving a gas chamber that shows a counter reading "5,999,999," implying that Jews have inflated the number of Holocaust victims.

American cartoonist Mike Flugennock's cartoon asks: "What has Ariel Sharon learned from the Holocaust?" It shows bulldozers razing Palestinian homes and an Israeli soldier pointing a gun at a Palestinian protester's head, above Flugennock's answer to his own question: "Humiliation, tyranny, brutality and murder."

Sharon, the Israeli prime minister, remains in a coma after a stroke on Jan. 4.

Flugennock, of Washington, D.C., insisted his entry is not anti-Semitic but legitimate political criticism - because it criticizes not the Jewish people or their religion but Israeli policy toward the Palestinians.

"It specifically addresses policies of the Israeli state with regard to its behavior in Palestine, and their similarities to the strategies employed by the Nazi regime in Warsaw and elsewhere," he said in an e-mail to The Associated Press.

Flugennock said he saw the contest as a chance to tell the world "that there is 'another America' that sees through the policies of the Israeli state and isn't afraid of reactionaries' trying to tar them with the epithet 'anti-Semite.'"

Farid Mortazavi, who is managing the contest for Hamshahri, said he has received about 700 cartoons from some 200 artists. A Web site run by contest organizers says entries have come in from 35 countries.

The newspaper is offering prizes of up to $12,000.

"We still expect more American cartoonists to send their caricatures to the contest," Mortazavi said.

Other submissions, some of which were posted online, address the Palestinians' situation rather than the Holocaust.

One, by a Brazilian artist, shows a carefree, whistling Israeli man turning his back on a crowded Palestinian slum from which an apparent suicide bomber tries to get his attention.

Another American cartoonist depicted the Statue of Liberty with its torch extinguished and its eyes and mouth sealed with metal plates and a sign reading, "Closed until further notice. Bushco Demolitions."

The Muhammad cartoons, which included one showing the prophet wearing a turban shaped like a bomb, were first published in September by a Danish newspaper that solicited the drawings in what it said was a test of freedom of expression. The cartoons later were reprinted in other newspapers, mostly in Europe.

Islamic tradition generally bars even respectful depictions of the Prophet Muhammad because of fears they could lead to idolatry.

http://apnews1.iwon.com/article/20060313/D8GAT2EG2.html

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
[frame]http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticle.asp?xfile=data/todaysfeatures/2006/April/todaysfeatures_April14.xml&section=todaysfeatures[/frame]

Greed

Star
Registered
Prophet cartoon offenders must be killed -bin Laden

Prophet cartoon offenders must be killed -bin Laden
1 hour, 3 minutes ago

DUBAI (Reuters) - Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden has called for people who ridiculed the Prophet Mohammad to be killed, weighing into the furor that erupted after a Danish newspaper ran cartoons lampooning Islam's holy messenger.

"Heretics and atheists, who denigrate religion and transgress against God and His Prophet, will not stop their enmity toward Islam except by being killed," the Saudi-born militant said.

Bin Laden's remarks were part of an audio tape which Al Jazeera television aired excerpts from on Sunday. The television station later published a full transcript on its Web site.

The Doha-based satellite television channel had aired excerpts of the tape in which bin Laden accused the West of waging a "Crusader-Zionist" war against Islam, citing the isolation of the Hamas-led Palestinian government and the crisis in Sudan's Darfur region as examples.

Anger over the cartoons, which a Danish newspaper first published last year, outraged Muslims who consider drawings of the Prophet to be blasphemous.

The caricatures, which were reprinted in several Arab and European newspapers, sparked violent protests in which more than 50 people were killed. Consumers in Muslim countries have also boycotted Danish goods.

Denmark's government has refused to apologize for the cartoons, saying it cannot say sorry on behalf of a free and independent media and that freedom of speech is sacred.

"The insistence of the Danish government to refrain from apologizing and its refusal to punish the criminals and take action to prevent this crime from being repeated... shows that the notions of freedom of speech have no roots, especially when it comes to Muslims," bin Laden said in the tape.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060424...nhZ.3QA;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA--

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Re: Prophet cartoon offenders must be killed -bin Laden

<font size="5"><center>Iran cartoon show mocks Holocaust</font size>
<font size="4">Tehran exhibition attacks West's 'double standards' over religious satire </font size></center>

Robert Tait in Tehran
Sunday August 20, 2006
The Observer

Ariel Sharon, the incapacitated former Israeli Prime Minister, is wearing an SS uniform. A man with Jewish side locks is depicted as a vampire drinking from a container marked 'Palestinian blood'. An Arab figure is impaled to the ground by the absurdly long nose of a man in a black hat characteristic of orthodox Jews and marked 'Holocaust'.
At their worst, the images conform to lurid western stereotypes of Iran as a hotbed of anti-Semitism, as evoked by President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's dismissal of the Holocaust as a 'myth'.

They are among the results of a competition run by the country's biggest-selling newspaper, Hamshahri, to find the 'cleverest' cartoons satirising the slaughter of six million Jews by the Nazis in the Second World War.

More than 200 images have gone on public display in an exhibition at Tehran's Palestine Contemporary Art Museum. The exhibition's opening was attended by the de facto Palestinian ambassador to Iran, Salah al-Zawawi, who has full diplomatic status in Tehran.

Organisers say they received about 750 entries from around the world, including America and Britain, as well as many Muslim countries. The winning entrant will be announced next month and will receive a prize of US$12,000 (£6,380).

The contest, condemned by Israel and Jewish organisations, was launched in February in response to widespread Muslim outrage at the publication of Danish cartoons depicting the Prophet Mohammed in European newspapers. It followed a series of anti-Israeli outbursts from Ahmadinejad, including a call for the Jewish state to be wiped off the map.

Massoud Shojai Tabatabai, director of the Iranian House of Cartoons which co-ordinated the project, said its aim was to challenge perceived western double-standards on free speech, which Iran's leaders insist precludes openly debating the authenticity of the Holocaust.

'Why is it acceptable in western countries to draw any caricature of the Prophet Mohammed, yet as soon as there are any questions or doubts raised about the Holocaust, fines and jail sentences are handed down?' Tabatabai told The Observer.

That sentiment finds expression in a split-image cartoon from a Brazilian entrant in which a stand-up comic is portrayed performing in a venue called the West Club. In one image, captioned 'Making jokes about Islam', the comedian is greeted with raucous laughter. But the accompanying picture, marked 'Making jokes about the Holocaust', shows him being booted out of the window.

The exhibition's other themes are a contention that the death toll of the Holocaust is exaggerated and a comparison of the Nazis' behaviour with Israel's treatment of the Palestinians. The latter is explored in a cartoon, purportedly by a Belgian Jewish artist, in which two parallel railway lines - one marked with a swastika, the other with a star of David - merge before leading into a building resembling Auschwitz and bearing the slogan 'Welcome home'.

'We are concerned about the real holocaust, which is happening to Palestinians,' said Tabatabai. 'Why should Palestinians pay for events which happened thousands of kilometres away in Europe?'

The exhibition comes at time when displays of official anti-Zionist propaganda in Iran have reached new levels following the conflict in Lebanon between Israel and the Iranian-backed Shia militia, Hizbollah.

Nevertheless, some of those attending seemed more interested in the art and uncertain about the underlying political convictions of the work on show. 'It's a good exhibition with different levels of artistic ability,' said Mohammed, 26, a student in Tehran University's fine arts faculty. 'Of course I'm supportive of the Palestinians. But if so many artists decided to participate in this contest, then the Holocaust must have happened.'

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/world/story/0,,1854223,00.html

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator

<font size="5"><center>Muslims angry at new Danish cartoons scandal</font size>
<font size="4">· World body complains of rising intolerance in west
· Video shows youth group ridiculing Muhammad </font size></center>

Brian Whitaker and agencies
Tuesday October 10, 2006
The Guardian

The world's largest international Muslim body complained of shrinking tolerance in the west yesterday as a new row erupted over Danish cartoons mocking the prophet Muhammad.
The 57-nation Organisation of the Islamic Conference said in a statement: "Muslims have noted with concern that the values of tolerance are eroding and there is now shrinking space for others' religious, social and cultural values in the west."

The statement followed the airing on Danish state television of amateur video footage showing members of the anti-immigrant Danish Peoples' party (DPP) taking part in a contest to draw images ridiculing the prophet. "The running of the footage affected the sensibilities of civilised people and religious beliefs of one fifth of humanity," the OIC said.

Just over a year ago violence ensued after the Danish daily Jyllands-Posten published cartoons of the prophet. The protests led to the deaths of more than 50 people in Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
Yesterday, the foreign ministry in Copenhagen cautioned against travel to Gaza, the West Bank, Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt, Iraq, Iran, Syria and Turkey.

In the latest incident, a video initially posted on the internet showed members of the DPP youth group at a summer camp last August. They appeared to have been drinking alcohol and one woman was seen presenting a cartoon showing a camel with the head of Muhammad and beer cans for humps. A second drawing showed a bearded man wearing a turban next to a plus sign and a bomb followed by an equals sign and a nuclear mushroom cloud. The video was produced by an artists' group, Defending Denmark. In a message posted along with the video, the group said it had infiltrated the DPP's youth wing, known as DFU, "to document [their] extreme rightwing associations".

"This is not an example of something that is meant to provoke. This is an example to show how things are in Danish politics," artist Martin Rosengaard Knudsen told Danish public radio.

Portions of the video were shown by two Danish television channels, DR TV and TV2.

The Danish prime minister, Anders Fogh Rasmussen, condemned the youth group's actions.

"Their tasteless behaviour does in no way represent the way the Danish people or young Danish people view Muslims or Islam," he said on Sunday.

The DPP, which advocates tighter anti-immigration controls, is allied with Mr Fogh Rasmussen's centre-right coalition but holds no government positions. The youth wing's leader, Kenneth Kristensen, said two of the people who figured in the video had gone into hiding. "They are very shaken by the huge reaction the drawings have had," he was quoted as saying on the website of the newspaper Politiken.

Indonesian Muslim groups have said they were insulted by the video and Egypt's largest Islamic group, the Muslim Brotherhood, denounced what it called "new Danish insults".

In Iran, the president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad commented: "If someone enjoys an iota of humanity and wisdom then he will not insult and offend the shining holy presence of Muhammad," according to national television.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,1891561,00.html

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator

<font size="5"><center>

Police foil plot to kill Muhammad cartoonist</font size>
<font size="4">
Cartoonist and his wife living under police protection</font size></center>

APTRANS.gif

February 12, 2008

COPENHAGEN, Denmark - Danish police said Tuesday they have arrested three people suspected of plotting to kill one of the 12 cartoonists behind the Prophet Muhammad drawings that sparked a deadly uproar in the Muslim world two years ago.

Two Tunisians and a Dane of Moroccan origin were arrested in pre-dawn raids in western Denmark, the police intelligence agency said.

The Dane was suspected of violating Danish terror laws but likely would be released after questioning as the investigation continues, said Jakob Scharf, the head of the PET intelligence service. The two Tunisians would be expelled from Denmark, he said.

The agency didn't mention which cartoonist was targeted. However, according to Jyllands-Posten, the Danish newspaper that first published the drawings on Sept. 30, 2005, the suspects were planning to kill its cartoonist Kurt Westergaard.

"There were very concrete murder plans against Kurt Westergaard," said Carsten Juste, the paper's editor-in-chief.

The cartoons were later reprinted by a range of Western publications, and they sparked deadly protests in parts of the Muslim world.

Islamic law generally opposes any depiction of the prophet, even favorable, for fear it could lead to idolatry.

Westergaard, 73, and his wife Gitte, 66, had been living under police protection, Jyllands-Posten reported.

"Of course I fear for my life when the police intelligence service say that some people have concrete plans to kill me. But I have turned fear into anger and resentment," Westergaard said in a statement published on Jyllands-Posten's Web site.

Disbelief at uproar
PET, the police intelligence service, called the action "preventive," saying it decided to strike "at an early phase to stop the planning and the carrying out of the murder."

In the uproar that followed the publishing of the cartoons, Danes watched in disbelief as angry mobs burned the Danish flag and attacked the country's embassies in Muslim countries including Syria, Iran and Lebanon.

Jyllands-Posten was evacuated several times because of threats and posted security guards at its office outside Aarhus and in Copenhagen.

The paper initially refused to apologize for the cartoons, which it said were published in reaction to a perceived self-censorship among artists dealing with Islamic issues, but later said it regretted that the cartoons had offended Muslims.

The Danish government also expressed regrets to Muslims, but noted that it could not interfere with the freedom of the press.

Rage beyond Denmark
Kasem Ahmad, a spokesman for the Copenhagen-based Islamic Faith Community, a network of Muslim groups that spearheaded protests against the cartoons in Denmark, said he hoped Tuesday's arrests would not rekindle the uproar.

"We urge Muslims to take it calmly," he told the TV2 News network.

The rage over the caricatures resonated beyond Denmark. In Germany, two men were accused of planting bombs aboard a pair of German commuter trains in 2006 that failed to explode.

One of the men, Youssef Mohammed el-Hajdib, a Lebanese citizen, is on trial in Duesseldorf. The second man, Jihad Hamad, was convicted in December in Lebanon and sentenced to 12 years in prison.

El-Hajdib told the court last week that Hamad planned the attacks as revenge after some German newspapers reprinted the Muhammad caricatures.

Hamad, however, testified at his trial in Lebanon that el-Hajdib was the initiator of the failed plot. He said el-Hajdib brainwashed him and exposed him to extremist videos and propaganda.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23125346

Greed

Star
Registered

Looking back on this thread all I can say is, "good times, good times."

cbm_redux

Star
Registered
Bitch assed Muslims are up in arms because there is a painting of Mohammed's crazy ass on Wikipedia. In no way should these assholes be appeased. Motherfucker their religious sensitivities. If they don't like it, then don't read it. But, giving in to them on the issue of images of Mohammed's bitch ass is a slippery slop toward having Sharia law imposed on us in the west.

Thus far, I've been against the U.S.'s imperialistic machinations in the Middle East. But, if those crazy medieval motherfuckers think that they are going to spread that crazy shit in the west, I'll be the first mother fucker screaming, bomb Mecca. Keep your bullshit religion in your house and in your mosque. Try to impinge upon my freedom, and I'll put a foot in your backward ass.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
<font size="4"><center>Muslims seek to ban anti-Koran film</font size></center>

United Press International
March 22, 2008

THE HAGUE, Netherlands, March 22 (UPI) -- Muslims in the Netherlands demonstrated Saturday against a film on the Koran made by a right-wing member of parliament.

The protest in Amsterdam occurred the day after the Netherlands Islamic Federation asked a court to determine if Geert Wilders could be blocked from showing the film, Deutsche Welle reported. The court is scheduled to rule next Friday on whether to set up a board of censors to review the film.

Non-Muslim groups participated in the protest, arguing that Wilders, head of the Party for Freedom, is a racist.

The government has said it believes Wilders cannot be stopped from showing his movie. Officials have suggested that he suppress it voluntarily.

Wilders has not been able to find a broadcaster willing to show the film. He has said he will post it online by April 1 if he can find no other way to release it.

In the short movie, Wilders tries to show that the Koran is "Fascist."

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Top_News/2008/03/22/muslims_seek_to_ban_anti-koran_film/7632/

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
<font size="4"><center>YouTube Warned to Remove Koran Film</font size></center>

Patrick Goodenough
International Editor

(CNSNews.com) - The government of the world's most populous Islamic state says YouTube has two days to take down a Dutch lawmaker's provocative film on the Koran or it will block access to the popular video-sharing Web site.

The warning by Indonesia came as the U.N.'s primary human rights watchdog ended a month-long session amid allegations by Western member-states and non-governmental organizations that Islamic nations are working to curtail free speech.

Geert Wilder's 16-minute film linking Islam's revered text with terrorism has sparked protests in a number of countries. It also drew criticism from the Arab League, the Organization of the Islamic Conference (OIC) and the European Union.

In Indonesia, a former Dutch colony, Information Minister Mohammad Nuh told a press briefing in Jakarta Tuesday he had sent a letter to YouTube demanding the film, "Fitna," be removed. If it did not comply, he said, the government in cooperation with Internet service providers would block the site.

As of early Wednesday afternoon Indonesian time, attempts to view at least one earlier-available upload of the movie on YouTube brought up a message saying, "This video has been removed due to terms of use violation."

But the film has been uploaded on YouTube by multiple users and can still be found with a simple search in both its English and Dutch versions.

In response to queries, a YouTube spokesperson said the site allows people "to express themselves and to communicate with a global audience."

"The diversity of the world in which we live -- spanning the vast dimensions of ethnicity, religion, nationality, language, political opinion, gender, and sexual orientation, to name a few -- means that some of the beliefs and views of some individuals may offend others," she said.

Videos that breach YouTube guidelines are removed, and some graphic material is restricted if not suitable for all audiences, the spokesperson added.

Wilders first uploaded Fitna late last week on a British video-sharing site, LiveLeak, where several million views were recorded before the company took it down, citing threats against its staff.

LiveLeak later lifted the suspension, saying it had tightened security measures, only to have Wilders himself withdraw the film, saying he planned to edit it because of copyright infringement complaints, and would upload an amended version later.

By then, however, the film - which includes a mix of images of terror attacks, verses from the Koran, and menacing quotes by radical clerics and others - was already available on numerous other sites on the Internet, including YouTube.

In a third consecutive day of small-scale protests in Indonesia, Muslims demonstrated outside the Dutch Embassy in Jakarta on Tuesday, some of them calling for Wilders to be killed for insulting Islam, according to the official news agency Antara.

President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, who has banned Wilders from entering the country, urged Indonesians to remain calm, but also said world leaders had a moral obligation to prevent religious or cultural defamation.

The Dutch government has repeatedly distanced itself from the film, while noting that the country's constitution protects freedom of expression. It has posted statements to that effect on the Web sites of a number of its diplomatic missions, including the embassy in Jakarta.

But Indonesia's Prosperous Justice Party (PKS), a party with strong Islamic credentials that supports Yudhoyono, said that unless the Netherlands apologizes to the world's Islamic countries, Muslims everywhere should boycott Dutch products (similar calls have been made in neighboring Malaysia and other Muslim countries.)

'From protecting rights to eroding them'

PKS lawmaker Al Muzzammil Yusuf also said the Indonesian government should take a more proactive role in efforts at the U.N. to set up a convention outlawing harassment of a religion.

Moves towards that goal, lent impetus by the 2006 uproar over the publication of newspaper cartoons satirizing Mohammed, are being led in the world body by the OIC.

Last December the 57-member Islamic bloc succeeded in getting the U.N. General Assembly to pass a first-ever resolution on the "defamation" of religion.

And last week in Geneva, as Fitna hit the Internet, the U.N.'s Human Rights Council passed an OIC-led resolution expressing concern about attempts to identify Islam with terrorism, and urging countries to pass anti-defamation laws to protect Muslims.

Even more controversially, the council on Friday also amended the mandate of a special investigator on the freedom of expression, requiring him now also to report on cases "in which the abuse of the right of freedom of expression constitutes an act of racial or religious discrimination."

Further, it adopted another amendment to the mandate -- put forward by Cuba -- referring to the importance of media reporting information "in a fair and impartial manner."

As the council ended its month-long session on Tuesday, the issue again exposed sharp differences between Islamic member states and Western ones, which had abstained in last week's vote.

U.S. envoy Warren Tichenor -- speaking as an observer, as the U.S. is not a member -- said in a closing statement that the resolution changing the investigator's role would have the effect of criminalizing free expression.

"It is a sad day when the Human Rights Council turns from protecting rights to eroding them," he said.

Pakistan, speaking on behalf of the OIC, said the resolution was an attempt to require people to exercise free speech responsibly. He denied that it would curtail freedom of expression.

The U.N.'s freedom of expression investigator is a Kenyan jurist, Ambeyi Ligabo.

The change to his mandate came two weeks after he delivered a report to the 47-member council in which he voiced concern about attempts to expand the scope of defamation laws beyond the protection of individuals, for instance to cover religion.

At the time, some Islamic member states reprimanded Ligabo, suggesting that he was not taking the religion issue sufficiently seriously.

The council's amendments to the freedom of expression mandate drew strong criticism from several NGOs.

Press freedom advocacy group Reporters Without Borders called the changes "dramatic" and said the growing influence of the OIC in the Human Rights Council was "disturbing."

"All of the council's decisions are nowadays determined by the interests of the Muslim countries or powerful states such as China or Russia that know how to surround themselves with allies," it said.

The free speech non-governmental organization Article 19 joined with an Egypt-based rights group, the Cairo Institute for Human Rights Studies, in a joint statement saying the council process was being repeatedly misused "to push for an agenda that has nothing to do with strengthening human rights and everything to do with protecting autocracies and political point scoring."

"For the first time in the 60 year history of U.N. human rights bodies, a fundamental human right has been limited simply because of the possible violent reaction by the enemies of human rights," said Roy Brown of the International Humanist and Ethical Union.

And Human Rights Watch said the changes to the mandate "clearly calls into question the very essence of media freedom and independence."

The OIC and its allies effectively dominate the Human Rights Council, as 26 of the 47 seats are earmarked for African and Asian countries.

Make media inquiries or request an interview about this article.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/03/24/wdutch124.xml

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
<font size="5"><center>
It Ain't Over; Muslim Cartoon Dispute
Surfaces at G20</font size></center>

McClatchy News
Saturday, April 4, 2009

STRASBOURG, France — President Barack Obama looked to forge consensus in the NATO alliance, but a dispute simmered over whether a cartoon offensive to Muslims might derail appointment over the group’s next leader.

As Obama entered talks with his counterparts, particularly over how each can and will contribute to the war in Afghanistan, the alliance remained caught in a heated dispute over its leadership.

Danish Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen had been the popular choice to become the alliance’s next secretary general.

But Turkey has objected, saying Fogh Rasmussen would be offensive to the Muslim world because he defended the Danish publication of cartoons lampooning the Prophet Muhammad in 2006. Muslims in some countries reacted in violent protests, but Fogh Rasmussen insisted that freedom of speech protected the publication.

Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi missed a group meeting Saturday, reportedly because he was phoning Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan in an effort to get him to OK the Dane. Obama administration officials said they do not see any rush, since the secretary general, Jaap de Hoop Scheffer, serves until June.

“The current secretary general is scheduled to maintain his position until June, so I don't see a huge sense of urgency to resolve this today,” said a senior administration official, speaking on condition of anonymity as a matter of policy.

Publicly, Obama welcomed two members into the North Atlantic Treaty Organization on Saturday, heralding it as a measure of the group’s vitality.

Obama opened the summit by lauding Albania and Croatia as the 27th and 28th members of the alliance that grew up in the wake of World War II to defend against the former Soviet Union.

“It's a measure of our vitality that we are still welcoming new members,” Obama said. “It's important to point out that both Croatia and Albania have already done many significant things on behalf of the alliance, including the 140 Albanians and 296 Croatian troops who have served in Afghanistan. And I think that indicates the degree to which they will be strong contributors to the alliance.”

He added that he looks forward to welcoming Macedonia and said “the door to membership will remain open for other countries that meet NATO's standards and can make a meaningful contribution to allied security.”

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/251/story/65500.html

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
<font size="5"><center>
Cartoonist attacker targeted Hillary Clinton</font size>
<font size="4">

Somali shot at artist’s home was held over
plot in Kenya, newspaper says</font size></center>

4fea8740-7d47-4d1b-91de-072460addd39.rp350x350.jpg

FILE- In this Oct. 27, 2009 file photo, Danish
cartoonist Kurt Westergaard, sits in the offices
of Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten in Aarhus,
Denmark. Police foiled an attempt to kill the
artist who drew cartoons depicting the Prophet
Muhammad that sparked outrage in the Muslim
world, the head of Denmark's intelligence service
said Saturday, Jan. 2, 2010. (AP Photo/Polfoto)

MSNBC
Staff and News Service Reports
Sunday, January 3, 2010

COPENHAGEN - <SPAN style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff00">A Somali man charged in connection with an attack on a Danish cartoonist was arrested last year over an alleged terror plot targeting Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, according to reports.</span>

Quoting the Danish newspaper Politiken, Britain's Sky News reported that the 28-year-old was among four other suspects who were held over a foiled attack on a bus station and two hotels in Nairobi, Kenya.

The alleged plot coincided with Clinton's visit to the country during an 11-day tour of Africa, Sky News said. The suspect was reportedly released from custody the following month due to a lack of evidence and returned to Denmark.

The Somali man was charged with two counts of attempted murder on Saturday after allegedly breaking into the home of a Danish artist Kurt Westergaard, whose Prophet Muhammad cartoon outraged the Muslim world three years ago.

<font size="4">Suspect Shot</font size>

The suspect, who was shot twice by a police officer responding to the scene, was rolled into a Danish court on a stretcher Saturday, his face covered. He was ordered held for four weeks on preliminary charges of attempting to murder the cartoonist, as well as the police officer who shot him.

Efforts to protect Westergaard, 74, were immediately stepped up, as he was moved to an undisclosed location.

The suspect, described by authorities as a 28-year-old Somali with ties to al-Qaida, allegedly broke into the house late Friday armed with an ax and a knife. The house is in Aarhus, Denmark's second largest city, 125 miles northwest of Copenhagen.

Jakob Scharf, head of Denmark's PET intelligence agency, said Saturday the man might have attacked spontaneously.

"It seems that he acted alone, and maybe it was a sudden decision," Scharf told Danish broadcaster TV2. He was not immediately available for further comment.

Westergaard, who has been the target of several death threats since depicting the Prophet Muhammad with a bomb-shaped turban, has been under round-the-clock protection by Danish police since February 2008.

When he heard someone trying to break into his home, he pressed an alarm and fled to a specially made safe room. His five-year-old granddaughter was also in the house at the time.

Officers arrived two minutes later and tried to arrest the assailant. He threatened the officers with the ax, and one officer then shot him in the hand and knee, Preben Nielsen of the Aarhus police said.

Nielsen said the man's wounds were serious but not life-threatening.

<font size="4">'Revenge!'</font size>

Westergaard could not be reached for comment, but he told his employer — the Jyllands-Posten newspaper — that the assailant shouted "Revenge!" and "Blood!" as he tried to enter the bathroom where Westergaard had sought shelter.

"It was scary. It was close — really close," he said, according to the newspaper's Web site.

The Somali man, whose name cannot be released because of a court order, was accompanied by a lawyer. He arrived at the court in Aarhus from the hospital where he is being treated, and denied the charges.

"He will be in custody for four weeks, and in isolation for two (of those)," said Chief Superintendent Ole Madsen in Aarhus. He said the suspect would be moved to a prison in Aarhus, which has medical facilities.

Defense lawyer Niels Christian Strauss told reporters outside the court he had urged his client to remain silent to allow more time to examine the evidence.

Danish Prime Minister Lars Loekke Rasmussen called the attack "despicable."

"This is not only an attack on Kurt Westergaard but also an attack on our open society and our democracy," he said in a statement.

In 2005, Jyllands-Posten had asked Danish cartoonists to draw Muhammad as a challenge to a perceived self-censorship. Westergaard and 11 other artists did so. Danish and other Western embassies in several Muslim countries were torched in early 2006 by angry protesters who felt the cartoons had profoundly insulted Islam.

Islamic law generally opposes any depiction of the prophet, even favorable, for fear it could lead to idolatry.

Westergaard remains a potential target for extremists nearly five years later: His cartoon is viewed as the most provocative, and he is the only of the twelve cartoonists to live under round-the-clock protection.

Authorities declined comment on whether security for other cartoonists had been tightened.

The Somali man had won an asylum case and received a residency permit to stay in Denmark, Scharf said. He called the Friday attack terror-related.

"The arrested man has, according to PET's information, close relations to the Somali terrorist group al-Shabab and al-Qaida leaders in eastern Africa," Scharf said. "(The attack) again confirms the terror threat that is directed at Denmark and against the cartoonist Kurt Westergaard in particular."

Scharf said the man is suspected of having been involved in terror-related activities in east Africa and had been under PET's surveillance, but not in connection with Westergaard.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34671593/ns/world_news-europe

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lzs_azA2ado&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lzs_azA2ado&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

WheelsofClay2

wannabe star
Registered
QueEx dislikes Islam, disagrees with the Islam and finds every opportunity to bash Islam and muslims.

QueEx probably hates Islam and muslims.

QueEx searches for inflammatory stories and articles to support his/her campaign against Islam/muslims and the Prophet Muhammad.

Fact. The US has killed more Muslims in Iraq since 2003 than muslims have killed other folks by acts of terrorism or war for the whole 20th and 21st centuries. I am talking about every bombing, hijacking and shooting. Count them all up. Muslims haven't taken even 10% of the lives that the US have taken in Iraq.

Bush's Iraq war has killed more civilian Iraqis than Saddam's Regime.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Actually, I don't dislike Muslims. I do dislike extremist of any brand whether Christian, Evangelical, Athiest, Agnostic, right-wing conservatives, left-wing liberals or, Muslim. I also dislike uninformed posters, hence, I try to post things that might stimulate thought, debate or cause one to pause.

I realize there is often a problem, however, with the ability of the some readers to understand the difference. Hence, some readers are provoked or challenged -- AND, others merely see things in more simplistic terms such as favoritism, likes, dislikes, etc.

QueEx

WheelsofClay2

wannabe star
Registered
Actually, I don't dislike Muslims. I do dislike extremist of any brand whether Christian, Evangelical, Athiest, Agnostic or, Muslim. I also dislike uninformed posters, hence, I try to post things that might stimulate thought, debate or cause one to pause.

I realize there is often a problem, however, with the ability of the some readers to understand the difference. Hence, some readers are provoked or challenged -- AND, others merely see things in more simplistic terms such as favoritism, likes, dislikes, etc.

QueEx

Give me 3 examples of an Muslim extremist and a Christian extremist.

Show me 1 positive thread about Islam or muslims that you posted in the last year.

Show me 1 negative Christianity or Christian thread you posted in the last year.