Muslims outraged over cartoons

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
[hide][frame]http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=hamilton/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1138920613557&call_pageid=1020420665036&col=1014656511815[/frame][/hide]

<font size="5"><center>Muslims outraged over cartoons</font size></center>

French newspaper fires editor

hs1319885_1.jpg

Ahmed Jadallah, Reuters
Controversial cartoons of Prophet Muhammad led to an armed gunmen surrounding the French cultural centre's headquarters in Gaza Strip

By Sebastian Rotella
Los Angeles Times
Paris (Feb 3, 2006)
A fierce international debate between Western democratic values against religious sensitivities escalated yesterday as Muslims reacted angrily to wider publication of controversial caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad.

Originally published by a Danish newspaper in September, the caricatures appeared recently in newspapers in France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the Netherlands and even Jordan.

Muslims, who believe any depiction of God and the prophets is blasphemy, are outraged at drawings of Muhammad with a bomb as a turban, among others.

One cartoon shows Muhammad standing on a cloud as he tells a group of suicide bombers that paradise has run out of the virgins that are said to await martyrs upon their death.

Conflict heated up on multiple fronts yesterday. In the Gaza Strip, masked Palestinian gunmen fired weapons into the air as they surrounded an office of the European Union and a French cultural centre. Two Palestinian militant groups had threatened to retaliate against the offending publications by kidnapping European citizens and targeting churches and European offices.

In Paris, the France Soir tabloid abruptly fired its managing editor for reprinting the caricatures in Wednesday's edition, whose cover carried the paper's own cartoon of Muhammad alongside Christian, Jewish and Buddhist holy figures. "Don't complain, Muhammad, we're all being caricatured here," the Christian God says.

Tunisia and Morocco banned the sale of France Soir.

Editorialists, political leaders and advocates of media freedom said that a Muslim backlash that has included boycotts, death threats and flag-burnings jeopardizes democratic rights.

"The reaction in Muslim countries shocks me because it confirms the weight that radical Islam has acquired," said Patrick Chappatte, a cartoonist quoted in Le Temps newspaper in Switzerland. "A real totalitarianism is at work in the world and (it) wants to impose its views not only on Arab Muslims, but on the West. The same way that they veil women, Islamic radicals want to veil cartoons in the press."

But Muslim leaders accused European media of provoking strife by humiliating Islam. "Freedom of expression cannot be the freedom to lie," said Dalil Boubakeur, the imam of the Mosque of Paris and president of the French Muslim Council. "The prophet did not found a terrorist religion, but on the contrary a religion of peace."

Afghan President Hamid Karzai said the furor exacerbated religious tension.

"Any insult to the Holy Prophet -- Peace Be Upon Him -- is an insult to more than a billion Muslims," Karzai said in a statement.

Western leaders responded gingerly. They were mindful that the explosive issue could unleash violence reminiscent of the assassination of Dutch filmmaker Theo Van Gogh, who was killed in 2004 by a Dutch Muslim extremist angered over his depictions of Islam.

Some political figures called for restraint on the part of the media. The press has to "deal with what it has gotten into," said German Interior Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble.

Secretary General Kofi Annan of the United Nations said the press must respect religion.

Annan "is concerned over the controversy that has been created by the publication of the Danish cartoons," said UN spokesperson Stephane Dujarric. "He believes that the freedom of the press should always be exercised in a way that fully respects the religious beliefs and tenets of all religions."

But many European leaders said that democratic principles outweighed the risk of offending religious sensitivities.

"We must defend freedom of expression," said French Interior Minister Nicolas Sarkozy. "And if I had to choose, I prefer the excess of caricature over the excess of censure."

Sarkozy said he was surprised by the firing of the managing editor of France Soir, Jacques LeFranc. The firing was ordered by the newspaper's owner, an Egyptian-born Catholic named Raymond Lakah, and announced in a news release along with an apology "to the Muslim community and anyone who was shocked or angered."

In contrast, yesterday's edition of France Soir devoted its front pages to a feisty defence of its earlier publication of the caricatures. The cover showed a photo of bearded Muslim men burning a Danish flag. The headline alluded to a renowned 18th-century author who mocked religious and political hypocrisy: "Help Us Voltaire: They Have Gone Mad!"

The fired editor warned that he would fight his dismissal. Le Monde, the influential French daily, published an editorial yesterday asserting that French law permits religions to be "freely analysed, criticized and even subjected to ridicule."

Accusations of intolerance on both sides demonstrate once again Europe's difficulties absorbing a fast-growing Muslim community that is experiencing a surge of fundamentalism and struggling with alienation and discrimination.

The case also shows profound differences regarding the relationship among the state, religion and the media. Arab leaders have demanded that European governments sanction the journalists they regard as blasphemers. Leaders in Denmark and other countries say that censorship is unacceptable and insisted they cannot be held responsible for what appears in the media.

The 12 caricatures were first published in the daily Jyllands-Posten newspaper in September, leading to months of wrangling between the Danish and Arab governments. The editors of the newspaper have said they are sorry if anyone was offended, but defend the publication of the images.

Yesterday, Danish Prime Minister Andres Fogh Rasmussen told an Arab television network that he had summoned foreign diplomats to a meeting today aimed at calming tensions.

"We are talking about an issue with fundamental significance to how democracies work," Rasmussen said.

http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/NA...7&call_pageid=1020420665036&col=1014656511815

Last edited:

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
<IFRAME SRC="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/4676514.stm" WIDTH=780 HEIGHT=1500>
<A HREF="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/4676514.stm">link</A>

</IFRAME>

Last edited:

VegasGuy

Star
OG Investor
Cut off a guys head? No problem.
Cut off a womans head? No problem.
Blow up a store full of woman and children? No problem.
Rape some women and everybody know you did it? No problem

Draw some cartoons?

WORLD WIDE PROTEST

Wonders never cease. :rolleyes:

-VG

Makkonnen

The Quizatz Haderach
BGOL Investor
im waiting for a war to jump off over this bullshit so I can laugh myself into a coma

VegasGuy

Star
OG Investor
Makkonnen said:
im waiting for a war to jump off over this bullshit so I can laugh myself into a coma

All the effort put into trying to drag these backward ass, ancient ass, numb skull ass humans into at least the "19th century" is a waste of time and money. All I can say is welcome to the 21st century and get ready for a SHIT load of new cartoons to show up starring phophet muhammand. They shouldn't have let these commedians or these crazy ass white folk know about that weak spot. They will feel just like us Christians when we watched that jar of piss with what was supposed to be Jesus in the jar. We had some suckin up to do watching that shit.

-VG

Gods_Favorite

Star
Registered
Muslims need to grow the fuck up, so its ok to blow yourself up next to 20 school children and 1 US Soldier but god forbid someone make a cartoon of prophet mohammed, fuck this bullshit.

The Black HHH

Star
Registered
100% of the people protesting and upset about these cartoons (and the general demonization of Islam) are also extremely against any form of terrorism and suicide.

Mr White Folks has trained you well.

WorldEX

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Problems, problems, problems. It's a simple solution for everone to follow, it just to have respect for someone's religion. I'm not religious, but certain things have borders, rules, and customs. The Muslims did not have this rule set this year, this is hundreds of years of following rules. Coming to the 21th is not an excuse to break rules respected by billions of people.
fine! let's all break all the rules of free press.

let them print The Danish Queen getting fucked by black man up the ass.

how many news paper would pick it up? None!!!!

Vagasboy must be white to state the following on this board

"Cut off a guys head? No problem"
"Cut off a womans head? No problem"
"Blow up a store full of woman and children? No problem"
"Rape some women and everybody know you did it? No problem"

If you are black, you forget the following..let's be fair here ok
Christians
-400+years of Slavery
distruction of advance culture such as Maya, Inca, countless tribes in Africa, Middle East, South America
Killing/raping-countless
90% of us black folks in western world can not trace our roots pass 3-5 generations back...if you do, you will some white man blood is there too.

Do I need to go on??

Today still in the form of economics, just open your eyes in your own back yard-New Orleans!!!

If you stir up a peaceful hornet nest, you will get stung badly..this is what going to happen.

I say no more. Thank god America press condemn it and sided with the Muslims, they are more smarter.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
WorldEX said:
Problems, problems, problems. It's a simple solution for everone to follow, it just to have respect for someone's religion. I'm not religious, but certain things have borders, rules, and customs. The Muslims did not have this rule set this year, this is hundreds of years of following rules. Coming to the 21th is not an excuse to break rules respected by billions of people.

Christians
-400+years of Slavery
distruction of advance culture such as Maya, Inca, countless tribes in Africa, Middle East, South America
Killing/raping-countless
90% of us black folks in western world can not trace our roots pass 3-5 generations back...if you do, you will some white man blood is there too.

Do I need to go on??

Today still in the form of economics, just open your eyes in your own back yard-New Orleans!!!

If you stir up a peaceful hornet nest, you will get stung badly..this is what going to happen.

I say no more. Thank god America press condemn it and sided with the Muslims, they are more smarter.
I heard someone say on CNN yesterday that Muslims and the Muslim press often denigrate Jesus. I'm all for respecting ones religion, but don't you think that Muslims should be equal opportunity respectist ???

QueEx

Greed

Star
Registered
The Black HHH said:
100% of the people protesting and upset about these cartoons (and the general demonization of Islam) are also extremely against any form of terrorism and suicide.

Mr White Folks has trained you well.
100% huh?

Greed

Star
Registered
WorldEX said:

Christians
-400+years of Slavery
Killing/raping-countless

Do I need to go on??

so is it a rational response to someone not respecting your religion to call for destruction of a country or death to other individuals?

apparently hundreds of millions of muslims seem to think so.

VegasGuy

Star
OG Investor
WorldEX said:

Christians
-400+years of Slavery
Killing/raping-countless

Do I need to go on??

First of all FUCK YOU. Second of all FUCK YOU.

And third, quit trying to use some fucked up messageboard racial identification bullshit to justify that ignorant position of yours. And I know your ass ain't trying to use my racial history like that Hillary Clinton bitch and the rest of those ass white liberal fuck out here whose ass you keep your fucked up mouth on then try to sound justified taking dumb shit like you are more black. You ain't more black. You are just black and stupid.

-VG

WorldEX

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It's simple VG, if you are not black you can not identify what it is to be black. In few short lines you manage to say " fuck" more than 3 times..talking about saying I am black and Stupid!!! sounds just like whitey, always thinking that if you are black, you have to be stupid. and besides this board is identifable with race...It is call BLACKGIRLONLINE.COM.
I bet you never leave your home state to see the rest of world and know more of our people history, but you simple want to call us stupid, hence what comes out of your mouth shows your true color..RACIST.

mc2

Rising Star
Registered
VegasGuy said:
Cut off a guys head? No problem.
Cut off a womans head? No problem.
Blow up a store full of woman and children? No problem.
Rape some women and everybody know you did it? No problem

Draw some cartoons?

WORLD WIDE PROTEST

Wonders never cease. :rolleyes:

-VG

Cosign....

Can someone post the picture that caused all of this?

VegasGuy

Star
OG Investor
WorldEX said:
It's simple VG, if you are not black you can not identify what it is to be black. In few short lines you manage to say " fuck" more than 3 times..talking about saying I am black and Stupid!!! sounds just like whitey, always thinking that if you are black, you have to be stupid. and besides this board is identifable with race...It is call BLACKGIRLONLINE.COM.
I bet you never leave your home state to see the rest of world and know more of our people history, but you simple want to call us stupid, hence what comes out of your mouth shows your true color..RACIST.

Keep counting you stupid fuck. What is simple is your stupid fucked up logic. Based on your responses you must be one who identifies with those who would kill innocent children and stand with those who murder innocent and claim god with with you. You are one Ignorant ass.

-VG

M

Matic

Here is the picture:

JP-011005-Muhammed-Westerga.

I haven't reach the part of the Bible that talks about this prophet yet so I don't know anything about him. I reserve judgment until then.

Last edited by a moderator:

WorldEX

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
There you go again, stupid dumbass whiteboy. why do you say all black men are crooks, and we are stupid? it's the general format you taking against all muslims, open your eyes and get the damn white hood off your head! you are blind to the facts, suggest you go to your local libary and read more.

I would not attack you if you say some of them are like that...giving your frame of mind, you would run across the steet if you see a black man coming in your direction.

but I give one thought...one drop of black blood, you're black! We are the only race that can make any other race. We can make chinese looking, white, indian...that why some of us pass as off into other races that easy. No other race can do that!

Shhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttttttttttttttt

Greed

Star
Registered
Embassies torched as cartoon furor grows

Embassies torched as cartoon furor grows
By Rasha Elass
2 hours, 55 minutes ago

Furious Syrians set fire to the Danish and Norwegian embassies on Saturday as protests over cartoons of the Prophet Mohammad showed no signs of abating despite calls for calm.

Oil giant Iran, already embroiled in a dispute with the West over its nuclear programme, said it was reviewing trade ties with countries that have published such caricatures.

Chanting "God is Greatest," thousands of protesters stormed the Danish embassy, burned the Danish flag and replaced it with a flag reading "No God but Allah, Mohammad is His Prophet." They set fires which badly damaged the building before being put out.

No one was hurt as the embassy was closed at the time.

Demonstrators also set the Norwegian embassy ablaze. It was brought under control by firefighters.

Police fired teargas to disperse protesters there and also used water hoses to hold back others from storming the French embassy. Scores of riot police were also deployed to protect the U.S. mission.

Denmark and Norway advised their citizens to leave Syria.

Denmark is at the eye of the storm as the cartoons that Muslim demonstrators find offensive, one of the Prophet with a turban resembling a bomb, first appeared in a Danish daily.

A small Norwegian Christian newspaper was one of the first newspaper outside Denmark to publish the cartoons. They have now appeared in papers in Bulgaria, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, Hungary, New Zealand, Norway, Poland.

Sweden, which shares its Syrian embassy with Denmark and Chile, was also dragged into the Damascus protests. It summoned the Syrian ambassador in Stockholm in protest.

Sweden, Denmark and Norway said the Syrian authorities had not done enough to protect their buildings in the capital.

There was no immediate comment from Syrian officials.

IRAN TRADE THREAT

The row has already had an economic impact with Arab countries boycotting Danish goods, but in a new twist on Saturday, Iran said it had formed a committee to review trade ties with countries that published cartoons deemed to insult the Prophet.

"A committee has been formed to review trade ties," a spokesman for the presidential office said.

From Afghanistan to Lahore, demonstrators rallied on Saturday to condemn the cartoons in what has developed into a face-off between press freedom and religious respect.

Newspapers have insisted on their right to print the cartoons, citing freedom of speech.

But Muslims find depicting the Prophet Mohammad offensive.

European leaders have called for calm, expressing deep concern about the furor that has become a lightning rod for anti-European sentiment in the Islamic world.

A black wreath was laid at the Danish embassy in Ankara. About 1,500 people were outside the Danish embassy in London.

About 100 people protested in the northern Afghan city of Kunduz with some shouting "Death to Denmark," a resident said.

Around 500 students of Islamic seminaries or madrasas protested in the eastern Pakistani city of Lahore, chanting "Down with Denmark" and "Hang the culprits."

Dozens of Palestinian youths tried to storm the office of the European Union in Gaza and pledged to give their "blood to redeem the Prophet."

PUBLICATION BARRED, EDITOR ARRESTED

In South Africa, a court granted a request by a Muslim group to bar publication of the cartoons.

Jordan's state prosecutor arrested the editor of a tabloid weekly which had published the cartoons. He had already been sacked by publishers of his Shihan weekly for reprinting the turban-bomb cartoon as part of an article headlined "An Islamic Intifada (Uprising) against the Danish insult to Islam."

Despite the number of European newspapers which had used the images, European Justice Commissioner Franco Frattini told La Repubblica it was not for the European Union to apologize.

"No, it's not Europe's duty, nor do I think it is the duty of (Danish) Prime Minister Rasmussen. We don't have the power to apologize in the name of the press. That would be violating the basis of freedom of the press," he said.

Foreign Minister Abdullah Gul of Muslim but secular Turkey, a European Union candidate country, called for calm and for mutual respect between Muslims and non-Muslims.

And a prominent British Muslim expressed outrage at placards carried at a rally outside the Danish embassy on Friday saying "Europe your 9/11 will come."

"I've been calling scores of Muslim groups around the country today to talk about this," Asghar Bukhari of Britain's Muslim Public Affairs Committee said. "Every single one of us is outraged by this bunch of thugs."

In Denmark, a network of moderate Muslims established on Saturday condemned the attack on the Danish embassy and urged restraint.

"It is terrible. This is no longer about the cartoons, the situation is out of control. I cannot take enough exception to it," said Syrian-born Naser Khader, the first immigrant member of the Danish parliament, who initiated the group.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060204...flZ.3QA;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA--

nittie

Star
Registered
Re: Embassies torched as cartoon furor grows

With all the shit going on in the world today the last thing anybody needs is Western newspapers printing a picture of the Prophet Muhammad with a bomb on his head and justifying it by using some lameass "they do it too" excuse. SMFH the race war is offically started.

nittie

Star
Registered

No they ain't justified but they don't need justification because they are not rational and they have an entirely different value system than the West so why in the fuck would someone publish these pictures and think they can hide behind the 1st amendment?

Greed

Star
Registered

so because they are the ones not rational we should be the ones that change our behavior.

it was nothing illegal about what those papers did, therefore no country should apologize for its free press.

i'm glad they did it because now the people that were in denial can now see that bin laden is a moderate and the other billion muslims arent that different from him.

now we can actually define this war in the proper context and finally fight it as it should be fought.

nittie

Star
Registered

If we go by Western standards then we shouldn't be in Iraq because we don't start pre-emptive wars and change regimes if we are going to have it both ways we shouldn't expect Muslims to be rational. Having said that I believe that region should be dealt with by imposing freedom and democracy the concept of Kings should be put to rest once and for all but there are better ways to do it than insulting everything they believe in.

Greed

Star
Registered

do you not comprehend the reality of a free press. i know muslims dont, but i didnt realize you didnt either.

western governments doing what they do best has nothing to do with independent papers doing nothing illegal and offending people in the process.

you bringing up a connection between the two is just another attempt to rationalize irrational behavior by implying thats its actually reactionary.

this is the true nature of this religion. they KILL their own daughters just for dating a boy they didnt pre-screen 1st.

we have no obligation to kowtow to them and change our habits just because they will find offense, especially when those papers did nothing wrong.

Greed

Star
Registered

i like the way people on this board will make a 1000 word post about how the religious right in america is out of control because they organize and get like minded politicians elected and use judicial due process to enact the changes they want in this country, but when muslims call for the destruction of whole countries and storm embassies and set fire to them people wont say the shit is unacceptable.

just an acceptance of thats the way they are so leave them alone.

nittie

Star
Registered

I think what we're talking about here is ethics.. like I'm sure you wouldn't want me to insult your intelligence like you did mine.

Greed

Star
Registered

the point is you wouldnt call for the destruction of my whole household because i insulted you, but you seem to have immeasurable tolerance when it comes to muslims calling for destruction of whole nation-states. including your own.

nittie

Star
Registered

No it's wrong of you to think I wouldn't call for the destruction of your whole family if you insulted me, you don't know me or my values. What I'm saying is the people in that region have shown they are receptive to our way of life they had a higher voter turnout than America but by insulting their religion you run the risk of losing any goodwill you created.

Greed

Star
Registered

voting and free choice isnt "our way of life."

choice is human nature not a western trait.

and the american press didnt print this shit, so we arent ruining any goodwill.

once again, calling for the destruction of whole nations because their independent free press did nothing illegal while offending some people is not acceptable and should be fought against and not given in too.

nittie

Star
Registered

If voting and free choice isn't our way of life why the hell have over 2100 Americans died in Iraq? Ain't it suppose to be about liberating the region? And if the American press is so upset about this cartoon why don't say something like they did about the Hamas election? Like I said you can't have both ways or at least not since 1965 lol.

nittie

Star
Registered

scroll down Pissy... You drunk like a mofo ain't you homeboy lol.. I hear ya I'm about to get blitz my damn self...Heelll yeah...holla!!!