More Fuckery: Pacquiao-Mosley Possible at 148, For WBC 154 Title

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
The biggest problem that I see for Shane is that he could be thrown off by Pac's speed coming from his left. However, if Shane is able to take his punch (he has a better chin than Cotto and Marg) then Pac is in big trouble. Manny will have to get at Shane through different angles and come out...That would make Shane have to reset his stance in close quarters...

I still think too many people are buying too much into Shane's past two fights. Not only that, he was on hiatus for over a year before his fight against Floyd, and you saw how he was able to start that fight...I think that if he is able to smother Pac he will be successful...and also be able to get in some body shots (which many of Manny's opponents haven't constantly done)...

For me, it's not just the last two fights but maybe his last ten. Not saying he looked bad in all ten but there's been a steady decline for the most part. Yes, he beat Margarito but he seemed anything but fluid against Mayorga and seemed to be shuffling around in there. The key for me is that Mayorga's speed and awkwardness gave Mosley fits. If Mayorga's chin wouldn't have been reduced to rubble in the Trinidad fight, he may have beaten Mosley by decision. I think Pac will give Mosley an even more awkward look and coming out of the southpaw stance will make it worst even though I believe Mosley does know how to fight a southpaw unlike Berto. Regardless, lately Mosley needs a guy to stay put so he can get set to throw those big shots. Pac is always jumping all over the ring and throwing shots from all angles. Mosley's only chance will be when Pac lays up on the ropes. It's actually potentially not a bad fight when you think about it.

Pipe

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
For me, it's not just the last two fights but maybe his last ten. Not saying he looked bad in all ten but there's been a steady decline for the most part. Yes, he beat Margarito but he seemed anything but fluid against Mayorga and seemed to be shuffling around in there. The key for me is that Mayorga's speed and awkwardness gave Mosley fits. If Mayorga's chin wouldn't have been reduced to rubble in the Trinidad fight, he may have beaten Mosley by decision. I think Pac will give Mosley an even more awkward look and coming out of the southpaw stance will make it worst even though I believe Mosley does know how to fight a southpaw unlike Berto. Regardless, lately Mosley needs a guy to stay put so he can get set to throw those big shots. Pac is always jumping all over the ring and throwing shots from all angles. Mosley's only chance will be when Pac lays up on the ropes. It's actually potentially not a bad fight when you think about it.

OK, so we know these things to be true:
  1. Mosley can't handle an awkward fighter.
  2. Mosley spends more time in his old age loading up on KO shots than he does working jabs, hooks, and combos.
  3. Mosley is slower than Pac. Not a whole lot slower, but slower nonetheless.
  4. If Pac follows his trainer, he will systematically destroy Shane over many brutal rounds.

Knowing this, I can still confidently pick this to be a historically great fight for one simple reason: All this knowledge will be thrown completely out the window when these two guys hear the bell for round 1. Shane is gonna do what he always does, and Pac is gonna do what he does when faced with a fighter, they will FIGHT.

In the end, it's going to come down to Pacquiao's speed vs. Mosley's chin. They both have shown one-punch KO power, and they both are gonna try and use it.

Now, don't get me wrong. I do believe that Roach will train Pac with everything he needs to beat Shane, because at this point in his career, Shane simply won't be able to hang in a boxing match with Pac. The only problem is that, when Pac is in there with a fighter, the hood mentality comes out of him, and he can't help but brawl. He did it with Morales, with Hatton, and even in the beginning of the Cotto fight, until he realized, unlike Mosley, that Cotto is actually smarter than that.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
OK, so we know these things to be true:
  1. Mosley can't handle an awkward fighter.
  2. Mosley spends more time in his old age loading up on KO shots than he does working jabs, hooks, and combos.
  3. Mosley is slower than Pac. Not a whole lot slower, but slower nonetheless.
  4. If Pac follows his trainer, he will systematically destroy Shane over many brutal rounds.

Knowing this, I can still confidently pick this to be a historically great fight for one simple reason: All this knowledge will be thrown completely out the window when these two guys hear the bell for round 1. Shane is gonna do what he always does, and Pac is gonna do what he does when faced with a fighter, they will FIGHT.

In the end, it's going to come down to Pacquiao's speed vs. Mosley's chin. They both have shown one-punch KO power, and they both are gonna try and use it.

Now, don't get me wrong. I do believe that Roach will train Pac with everything he needs to beat Shane, because at this point in his career, Shane simply won't be able to hang in a boxing match with Pac. The only problem is that, when Pac is in there with a fighter, the hood mentality comes out of him, and he can't help but brawl. He did it with Morales, with Hatton, and even in the beginning of the Cotto fight, until he realized, unlike Mosley, that Cotto is actually smarter than that.

I agree, all these strengths and weaknesses of the fighters don't determine how great the actual fight could be.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
That;s interesting. I see Pac walking straight ahead and getting knocked the fuck out JUST LIKE FLOYD almost did. New guys? Please...these new negroes don't WANT to fight anyone and frankly the public is a bigger pussy then they are....instead of demanding challenging fights like Paul Williams, etc. negroes spend YEARS begging for Floyd to fight Manny and paid absolutely no attention while FLoyd fought little people and Manny fought everyone else....Young negroes need a break? Start by whippin' all the old folks asses versus duckin' them.

Don't use as an example a fight where Mosley was dominated. Even after those two (it wasn't just one) hellacious shots, he still made the round close.

I don't see Shane winning but it wouldn't be the shocking upset that it will be presented as if it happens. The style matchup doesn't suit Pacquiao. If it did, they would have taken the fight a year or two ago.

tp2001

Star
Registered

Interesting comment...I don't know about Shane declining in the last ten fights, but last five or six I will give to you no doubt...He was on a roll after dusting Vargas off, but after that he had trouble in the next three fights...And depending on who you ask, you would be surprised that he would struggle against Mayorga...

but come to think about it, he couldn't go into a slugfest with Mayorga cause he would get toasted...that's what happened to Forrest in his first fight with Ricardo. And with the Cotto fight, as I mentioned earlier Shane has trouble with those who box and move around more. Cotto got a big jump on him in the cards because he used the jab and moved around in the first six rounds. When Cotto got caught he was basically running for his life the rest of the fight...

The thing is that Shane is a lot slower than he was a few years ago, and that is why Pac and (Cock)Roach are taking a chance with him now...No way they would have made this match in 08 like Upgrade mentioned...Especially since they had Oscar out there for him...

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Interesting comment...I don't know about Shane declining in the last ten fights, but last five or six I will give to you no doubt...He was on a roll after dusting Vargas off, but after that he had trouble in the next three fights...And depending on who you ask, you would be surprised that he would struggle against Mayorga...

but come to think about it, he couldn't go into a slugfest with Mayorga cause he would get toasted...that's what happened to Forrest in his first fight with Ricardo. And with the Cotto fight, as I mentioned earlier Shane has trouble with those who box and move around more. Cotto got a big jump on him in the cards because he used the jab and moved around in the first six rounds. When Cotto got caught he was basically running for his life the rest of the fight...

The thing is that Shane is a lot slower than he was a few years ago, and that is why Pac and (Cock)Roach are taking a chance with him now...No way they would have made this match in 08 like Upgrade mentioned...Especially since they had Oscar out there for him...

Whoa.... calm down. You are talking crazy right there.

will_right

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm with merce77 on this one..

Furthermore,

I'm sorry, but...

I don't know what the rest of y'all are smokin, cause this is gonna be an AMAZINGLY GREAT fight! I've actually been hopin for this fight to materialize for years. Even with a lil age on him, Shane still will make this into one for the ages, mark my words.

I know errbody been waitin for Pac-Mayweather, and rightfully so, but I'm a fight fan who really loves a FIGHT, and that's exactly what we're gonna see on May 7. Say what you want about Shane (he's over the hill, loads up on punches, has problems with angles, etc.), but Pac is exactly the type of fighter that brings out the best in him.

If you think back in history, you'll notice that Shane built his entire career off of beating good offensive fighters (DLH, Vargas, Mayorga, Margarito), but he always struggled against defensive fighters (Forrest, Winky, Floyd). His weakness has been the same the whole time: he's too obsessed with the KO, so he always headhunts. While this characteristic may have made him a lotta money, it seriously limited him as a fighter.

Well, folks, what we have now in Pacquiao is the type of fighter who makes Shane drool: one who loves to bang as much as he does. Sure, Pacman can switch to boxing when his opponent makes him, but that's not even gonna come CLOSE to happening this time. These two dudes are gonna throw hands, and Roach is gonna be absolutely pissed! That's what people aren't understanding. Neither of these guys can turn down a brawl. They are gonna get at each other on a level so vicious that each of you, for the rest of your lives, will remember exactly where you were when you saw it happen. Believe me, the real winner in this is gonna be all of us.

I have no clue why anybody wouldn't want to see this as bad as I do. This has fight-of-the-year written all over it!
now YOU ser know a ting or two about what makes a good FIGHT!!!:yes:

tp2001

Star
Registered
Whoa.... calm down. You are talking crazy right there.

I can't be THAT far off...remember the only time that Shane got knocked down was in a trade-off against Forrest...Mayorga feasts on the chance that you would go toe-to-toe with him. That was he could swing at will against you...Oscar and Tito were boxers that knew not to do that, and then they eventually took him out one they were able to get to him...

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
I can't be THAT far off...remember the only time that Shane got knocked down was in a trade-off against Forrest...Mayorga feasts on the chance that you would go toe-to-toe with him. That was he could swing at will against you...Oscar and Tito were boxers that knew not to do that, and then they eventually took him out one they were able to get to him...

Styles makes fights. Mayorga is a tough brawlers wet dream and traditionists nightmare. All I see in the Shane/Mayorga fight is Shane trying to load up for the KO punch. Shane could not pull the trigger and Mayorga took advantage by winning rounds.

You add in the fact that for years Shane became too wrapped up in that power punching shit to even do something as simple as throw real jabs.... Mayorga was able to take advantage of lesser version of Mosley who was already past his prime.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=34213

By Mark Vester

WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao is expecting a real fight when he steps in the ring on May 7 at the MGM Grand. The opponent, 39-year-old Shane Mosley, is considered a heavy underdog among the experts.

There are no easy fights when you're the number one pound for pound fighter in the sport, says Pacquiao.

“There’s no easy fight out there anymore,” said Pacquiao to the Philippine Star. “People said the fight against Margarito was going to be easy. Was it easy? You all saw what happened."

Pacquiao had previoulsy said that he will require at least "8 weeks of training" for Mosley. For this camp, trainer Freddie Roach wants to correct any past mistakes that were made in the prior camp for Margarito. He wants Pacquiao to spend the majority, if not all, of his training camp at the Wild Card Gym in Hollywood, California.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=34224

By Ruslan Chikov

Trainer Freddie Roach was quoted by Golzka regarding Floyd Mayweather Jr. silence on a possible fight with Manny Pacquiao. The Filipino will defend his WBO welterweight title against Shane Mosley on May 7 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. The promoter for Pacquiao, Top Rank, tried to reach Mayweather. He never returned their calls and the Mosley deal was finalized.

"I don't know what it is. I don't know if he really wants to fight. I think Mayweather is more concerned with protecting the zero on his record. It's not about money. He cares more about being undefeated so he can tell people he's the greatest fighter of all-time. Mayweather's style is difficult but it's a fight we could win," Roach said.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=34200

by Mark Vester

Last week, Top Rank's CEO Bob Arum told BoxingScene.com's Robert Morales that Juan Manuel Marquez had to prove himself in the welterweight division to get a third fight with Manny Pacquiao. He said a third meeting with Marquez is a difficult fight to sell because the boxing public doesn't view Marquez as a legit welterweight threat.

One idea, proposed by Arum, is a fight between Marquez and undefeated WBC welterweight champion Andre Berto. If Marquez beats Berto, then Arum would consider a third fight with Pacquiao in the future. Pacquiao defends his WBO welterweight title against Shane Mosley on May 7.

"Put Marquez in with Berto, let's see what he does," Arum said. "If he beats Berto, well, obviously, he can fight a Pacquiao. But I don't think he can fight at the higher weights. It doesn't say anything about his ability as a fighter. He's a good fighter, nice fellow."

Berto is open to facing Marquez, among other opponents. Like Marquez, Berto was under consideration to face Pacquiao in May. He was overlooked in favor of Mosley. If HBO puts up the money, Berto will take the fight.

"[I'm willing to fight] guys like Miguel Cotto, guys like Marquez, maybe any of the top guys coming up from 140. Maybe my mandatory [Selcuk Aydin]. Right now I'll fight anybody. If Superman continues to bark and run off at his mouth and HBO is willing to put up the money to make it happen, I'll be all for it. This is what I do and this is why I'm in the business, to entertain these fans by putting a hurting on these guys," Berto told boxingtalk.com.

tp2001

Star
Registered
http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=34224

By Ruslan Chikov

Trainer Freddie Roach was quoted by Golzka regarding Floyd Mayweather Jr. silence on a possible fight with Manny Pacquiao. The Filipino will defend his WBO welterweight title against Shane Mosley on May 7 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. The promoter for Pacquiao, Top Rank, tried to reach Mayweather. He never returned their calls and the Mosley deal was finalized.

"I don't know what it is. I don't know if he really wants to fight. I think Mayweather is more concerned with protecting the zero on his record. It's not about money. He cares more about being undefeated so he can tell people he's the greatest fighter of all-time. Mayweather's style is difficult but it's a fight we could win," Roach said.

Sorry, but I just don't see it...I just feel like a guy like Mayweather would frustrate Pac even more than Marquez did in those fights...JMM was able to dodge a few of Manny's punches and counter with great accuracy. I believe it would be even worse against Mayweather because he would be able to fit in two or three punches instead of one like Marquez was able to do...

Man if Pac gave Raheem that fight back in the day, then at least we would have a small idea of what Pac would do against a fighter that dodges and slips punches. That's why I could see Floyd beating Manny. There is nothing that I see now or ever in the past that would make it otherwise...Anyone else see otherwise? :confused:

will_right

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Sorry, but I just don't see it...I just feel like a guy like Mayweather would frustrate Pac even more than Marquez did in those fights...JMM was able to dodge a few of Manny's punches and counter with great accuracy. I believe it would be even worse against Mayweather because he would be able to fit in two or three punches instead of one like Marquez was able to do...

Man if Pac gave Raheem that fight back in the day, then at least we would have a small idea of what Pac would do against a fighter that dodges and slips punches. That's why I could see Floyd beating Manny. There is nothing that I see now or ever in the past that would make it otherwise...Anyone else see otherwise? :confused:
Here's something to consider..Mosley nowadays is mos def slower than he once was we all can agree on this right? So tell me this if Mosley was able to Land a telling blow on Mayweather this late in the game what makes other people feel like Pacman won't be able to do the same? When compairing Mosley against Manny most feel Manny is the faster fighter YES? then Manny also should be able to land or catch Floyd on the chin a few times during the fight as well. Taking this into account Manny unlike Shane in his late stages would not run out of gas the way Shane did..that would at LEAST make things very very interesting between the two IF they were to ever get it on, while they are both under 40 years old lol (Floyd bullshitting around) it may never take place. Mosley almost had Floyd Ko'd in under 2 rounds..what might that fight have been had Shane sustained the assult through out the fight from that round on? I'm not saying it would have been a sure win for shane but it sure would have made things Damn interesting to say the least. IMO if that fight happens between Manny & Floyd and Mayweather fights instead of boxing Pacman, i'd give Manny a better chance at beating Floyd than ANY damn fighter to date. Manny is a damn good finisher and he's not only fast but can punch with either hand..something for all to consider is all i'm sayin..shit happens whenever two guys enter the ring..NOTHING is ever a sure win.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
Here's something to consider..Mosley nowadays is mos def slower than he once was we all can agree on this right? So tell me this if Mosley was able to Land a telling blow on Mayweather this late in the game what makes other people feel like Pacman won't be able to do the same? When compairing Mosley against Manny most feel Manny is the faster fighter YES? then Manny also should be able to land or catch Floyd on the chin a few times during the fight as well. Taking this into account Manny unlike Shane in his late stages would not run out of gas the way Shane did..that would at LEAST make things very very interesting between the two IF they were to ever get it on, while they are both under 40 years old lol (Floyd bullshitting around) it may never take place. Mosley almost had Floyd Ko'd in under 2 rounds..what might that fight have been had Shane sustained the assult through out the fight from that round on? I'm not saying it would have been a sure win for shane but it sure would have made things Damn interesting to say the least. IMO if that fight happens between Manny & Floyd and Mayweather fights instead of boxing Pacman, i'd give Manny a better chance at beating Floyd than ANY damn fighter to date. Manny is a damn good finisher and he's not only fast but can punch with either hand..something for all to consider is all i'm sayin..shit happens whenever two guys enter the ring..NOTHING is ever a sure win.

Nothing is sure until the fight happens but there are some things that just aren't correct in your synopsis.
Floyd was not "almost knocked out", he was almost knocked down. The idea that Shane gassed out makes it seem like it was a close fight and then Floyd put space between them like he did De La Hoya and that's not what happened either. Floyd's comeback actually started in the 2nd round and he dominated the 3rd and every round afterward.
Even for you to give Manny a better chance at beating Floyd than anyone to date, you think he would have to be willilng to fight Manny instead of box him. Why would he do that? Why would he open the door at all for Manny to play to his strengths. The Mayweather team is one of the best tactical teams in boxing today and they play to their own strengths. Even when he's way ahead, he sticks to his gameplan instead of taking risks and going for knockouts (something he gets criticized for), like the Marquez and Mosley fights.
Anything can happen but Mayweather does a better job than anyone cutting down on flukey shit happening in his fights.

will_right

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Nothing is sure until the fight happens but there are some things that just aren't correct in your synopsis.
Floyd was not "almost knocked out", he was almost knocked down. The idea that Shane gassed out makes it seem like it was a close fight and then Floyd put space between them like he did De La Hoya and that's not what happened either. Floyd's comeback actually started in the 2nd round and he dominated the 3rd and every round afterward.
Even for you to give Manny a better chance at beating Floyd than anyone to date, you think he would have to be willilng to fight Manny instead of box him. Why would he do that? Why would he open the door at all for Manny to play to his strengths. The Mayweather team is one of the best tactical teams in boxing today and they play to their own strengths. Even when he's way ahead, he sticks to his gameplan instead of taking risks and going for knockouts (something he gets criticized for), like the Marquez and Mosley fights.
Anything can happen but Mayweather does a better job than anyone cutting down on flukey shit happening in his fights.
I feel what your saying BUT again all that can change once your cracked on the Jaw. And just like what happened to Paul Williams,when caught with the right punch IF caught with the right punch it could be good night Irene. All things taken into consideration i'm wondering why people like you and others aren't giving ANYONE a chance at beating Floyd? Mayweather is a Damn good boxer..but perfect he is not. He also has flaws Jose Luis Castillo exposed a few in their bout. IMO i just wana see a good fight after all the build up. Floyd is my boy but so is manny so for ME the only way i loose would be if the fight turns out to be a dud.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
I feel what your saying BUT again all that can change once your cracked on the Jaw. And just like what happened to Paul Williams,when caught with the right punch IF caught with the right punch it could be good night Irene. All things taken into consideration i'm wondering why people like you and others aren't giving ANYONE a chance at beating Floyd? Mayweather is a Damn good boxer..but perfect he is not. He also has flaws Jose Luis Castillo exposed a few in their bout. IMO i just wana see a good fight after all the build up. Floyd is my boy but so is manny so for ME the only way i loose would be if the fight turns out to be a dud.

I don't consider any fighter perfect but Mayweather has the best mix of physical skill and ring generalship of any fighter in very recent history so I'm going to favor him against any welterweight/jr welterweight in front of him. You point out the first Castillo fight but he dominated Castillo in a rematch 7 months later. Everybody has tried to repeat what worked for Jose Luis and it's failed miserably. Every time someone thinks they know how he's going to fight, he make changes, sometime subtle sometimes blatant, that mix it up and makes their strategy pointless (where was the shoulder roll during the Hatton/Marquez/Mosley fights?).
I have no doubt Manny's going to touch him. None. But who's the last guy Manny knocked out since going leaving 135? Ricky "Walks Right Into It" Hatton. Floyd proved he can take a punch and he's long proved he can win long fights. Take away the knockdowns and Manny is 0-2 in the Marquez fights and Floyd won't be a sitting duck like Oscar, Cotto, and Margarito.

Again, anything can happen after the bell rings but there's a reason they take declare fighters the favorite before fights and Floyd is a matchup nightmare for Manny Pacquiao. But a money making dream so I still hold out hope that this fight will get made. Hell, with his legal bills stacking up, Floyd's going to need that payday.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
And let me be clear, I still like Manny. I just think he gets a much easier time from the so called "sports media" and many fans for shenanigans that they would roast Floyd over.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
And let me be clear, I still like Manny. I just think he gets a much easier time from the so called "sports media" and many fans for shenanigans that they would roast Floyd over.

They both have been given a hard time for their fights by some and a pass by many in the media. Manny catchweight is old but it has not really matter in any fight except Cotto. PBF was given a pass with fighting JMM at a higher weight and coming in overweight. Neither fighter is always going to be treated like other fighters. That is beacuse nobody is writing about other fighters.

Also PBF tries to sell his asshole routine as being just in the ring but his ustream video and the recents court troubles paint a different picture.

PBF gets knocked for being a safe fighter against overmatched opponents. Some call is the sweet science and others call it fuckery. I think great fighters are the ones that try o make a statement in their wins. He doesn't. But even with that you cant deny the skill pbf has. All that he has to do is prove it in the ring with opponents that have a chance.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
They both have been given a hard time for their fights by some and a pass by many in the media. Manny catchweight is old but it has not really matter in any fight except Cotto. PBF was given a pass with fighting JMM at a higher weight and coming in overweight. Neither fighter is always going to be treated like other fighters. That is beacuse nobody is writing about other fighters.

Also PBF tries to sell his asshole routine as being just in the ring but his ustream video and the recents court troubles paint a different picture.

PBF gets knocked for being a safe fighter against overmatched opponents. Some call is the sweet science and others call it fuckery. I think great fighters are the ones that try o make a statement in their wins. He doesn't. But even with that you cant deny the skill pbf has. All that he has to do is prove it in the ring with opponents that have a chance.

Who gives Manny Pacquiao a hard time about catchweights? Us? That's not exactly balance. A couple of writers have just now started grousing some but even then, when the fight happens, the grousing stops and he's the "biggest attraction in boxing".
You don't think having to come down to fight Manny had any effect on Margarito or DLH? Not saying the outcomes would have been different but can you really say they had no effect? Same with Erik Morales in that third fight, where it was even more evident he couldn't safely make the weight.

The statement made in Floyd's wins are usually "I dominated him throughout the fight, often at his own game". Shane Mosley was supposed to be stronger, Floyd muscled him. Hatton was supposed to be rough and dirty, Floyd was much dirtier. When you look at the landscape the only guy who has a chance is Pacquaio (I purposely excluded all middleweights since Floyd Mayweather is a welterweight. If I include middleweights, why not heavyweights?).
And let's not forget that before the fight happened, cats were begging him to fight Shane and said he was afraid of him. Shane was even a more preferred opponent than Manny to many people because he was a legit, full time welterweight.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member

If PBF was as confident about beating Pac as his fans, the fight would have been made already. First it was the test issue, then when the test thing wasn't an issue he said he was vacationing and not thinking of boxing. Mayweather just doesn't want to fight Pac. That doesn't make him a coward, not necessarily at least. It makes him smart in a Bernard Hopkins kind of way. Bhops is not fighting anyone that he is not sure he can beat even though on a few rare occasions he was wrong in the end.

Many people in the know, and others also, are aware that Mayweather's father has previously made comments about a southpaw style being able to cause his son problems. This should tell people something.

Just on stance alone Pac is complicated. Throw in his speed, power, weird punching angles, punching repertoire and you have a southpaw from hell. Just on styles alone, Mayweather doesn't want none of that and it shows. When Pac looks like shit in the ring, suddenly this fight will be do-able.

will_right

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If PBF was as confident about beating Pac as his fans, the fight would have been made already. First it was the test issue, then when the test thing wasn't an issue he said he was vacationing and not thinking of boxing. Mayweather just doesn't want to fight Pac. That doesn't make him a coward, not necessarily at least. It makes him smart in a Bernard Hopkins kind of way. Bhops is not fighting anyone that he is not sure he can beat even though on a few rare occasions he was wrong in the end.

Many people in the know, and others also, are aware that Mayweather's father has previously made comments about a southpaw style being able to cause his son problems. This should tell people something.

Just on stance alone Pac is complicated. Throw in his speed, power, weird punching angles, punching repertoire and you have a southpaw from hell. Just on styles alone, Mayweather doesn't want none of that and it shows. When Pac looks like shit in the ring, suddenly this fight will be do-able.
Over all i feel the same Floyd wants NO part or manny right now. But in a moment or two you KNOW who's gonna come in here with HIS opinion..feeling like you don't know shit your foolish,u dont know what your talking about and that HIS opinion holds more merrit than yours OR mine..i'm sure you can figure out who this boxing analyst,boxing expert,boxing guru/know it all will be don't you:rolleyes:....hold he's on his way...wait for it...wait...he'll be here i promise you:lol:

tp2001

Star
Registered
I have no doubt Manny's going to touch him. None. But who's the last guy Manny knocked out since leaving 135? Ricky "Walks Right Into It" Hatton.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Zeferino said:

Floyd Sr was on point with that comment, and the first few rounds of the fight against Zab showed that he does have trouble with southpaw styles...thing is, May Jr. always finds a way to adjust to that and fight to his strengths. This is what makes him as good as he is.

Maybe due to Pac's weird punching angles and variety, he could have some success against Floyd...whether he is able to sustain it or whatever strategy he may have (unlike some) is up in the air...

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
If PBF was as confident about beating Pac as his fans, the fight would have been made already. First it was the test issue, then when the test thing wasn't an issue he said he was vacationing and not thinking of boxing.

So it was confirmed that Manny would be subject to random blood testing? He agreed to some testing the first time, it was the "random" part that was the hangup. If that's what happened and it was reported as such, provide a link. That would clear that up once and for all.

With all respect to Floyd Sr, he also didn't want his son to take the Corrales fight and publicly picked DLH to win in his fight with Floyd Jr. He also said he's never seen anyone move up in weight and retain as much power as Pacquiao so, to him, Pac must be used PEDs.
The boxer who has had the most success against Floyd Jr was Castillo, an orthodox fighter. Judah won the first two rounds and then lost the next 9. Corley actually got a knockdown but was dominated before and after that. Floyd Sr. hasn't trained Jr. in years and not at all for a large portion of it. Floyd had as much trouble with a southpaw as any other orthodox fighter to to act like that's his Achilles' heel is overstating it and doesn't have much to back it up.
On that, Floyd had beaten two southpaws, one at 140, the other at 147. What counterpuncer has Manny beaten since going to 140? The only one he's fought outboxed him twice and, if it wasn't for the flash knockdowns, would have won both fights.

Manny's not a poor matchup for Floyd, it's the reverse. Forget about the two particular fighters, just going by what's happened in the ring, a fighter with Floyd's style has an edge over a fighter with Manny's style.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
So it was confirmed that Manny would be subject to random blood testing? He agreed to some testing the first time, it was the "random" part that was the hangup. If that's what happened and it was reported as such, provide a link. That would clear that up once and for all.

With all respect to Floyd Sr, he also didn't want his son to take the Corrales fight and publicly picked DLH to win in his fight with Floyd Jr. He also said he's never seen anyone move up in weight and retain as much power as Pacquiao so, to him, Pac must be used PEDs.
The boxer who has had the most success against Floyd Jr was Castillo, an orthodox fighter. Judah won the first two rounds and then lost the next 9. Corley actually got a knockdown but was dominated before and after that. Floyd Sr. hasn't trained Jr. in years and not at all for a large portion of it. Floyd had as much trouble with a southpaw as any other orthodox fighter to to act like that's his Achilles' heel is overstating it and doesn't have much to back it up.
On that, Floyd had beaten two southpaws, one at 140, the other at 147. What counterpuncer has Manny beaten since going to 140? The only one he's fought outboxed him twice and, if it wasn't for the flash knockdowns, would have won both fights.

Manny's not a poor matchup for Floyd, it's the reverse. Forget about the two particular fighters, just going by what's happened in the ring, a fighter with Floyd's style has an edge over a fighter with Manny's style.

Regarding Floyd Sr, his specialty is defense. Therefore, I think his technical comments regarding a southpaw style being negative for Floyd Jr hold more weight than his baseless PED allegations unless he is a specialist in that field as well.

Yes, Floyd Sr called DLH to beat Mayweather Jr but we all know he was on the worst of terms with Jr during that tmie and DLH almost proved him right. Jr's win over an old DLH was no where near as convincing as Mosley's win over a prime DLH almost 10 years before.

I don't recall Corley dropping Mayweather but I recall Judah did. Both Judah and Corley gave Mayweather stylistic fits. Just the southpaw stance alone allowed them to get hit less against Mayweather. I'm a southpaw and have competed in both boxing and martial arts. Just turning southpaw can throw a guy off and give you time to breath. If you don't believe me, go to a gym and ask somebody. It definitely is a factor.

Furthermore, Mayweather taking over after early difficulty with Judah didn't have much with him having such an advanced boxing mind that he was able to decipher Judah. Judah tapers off against EVERYBODY after the 4th and 5th round. Even before Mayweather, I saw Judah inexplicably taper off against a bummish Roque Cassiani and barely escape the fight a winner after a tremendous start. Regarding Corley, there wasn't much for Mayweather to figure out because the guy is a loser and has no clue about how to finish a hurt opponent. Either that or he's some kind of pacifist when he gets a guy hurt.

Pac is the worst southpaw Mayweather could ever see based on styles, speed, power, and work-rate. Mayweather is throwing like 40 punches per round while Pac is throwing about 100 and is a very precise puncher. I don't think Mayweather will be able to shut that down very easily and if he doesn't get stopped he could get outpointed even if the other guy is missing a lot.

will_right

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Regarding Floyd Sr, his specialty is defense. Therefore, I think his technical comments regarding a southpaw style being negative for Floyd Jr hold more weight than his baseless PED allegations unless he is a specialist in that field as well.

Yes, Floyd Sr called DLH to beat Mayweather Jr but we all know he was on the worst of terms with Jr during that tmie and DLH almost proved him right. Jr's win over an old DLH was no where near as convincing as Mosley's win over a prime DLH almost 10 years before.

I don't recall Corley dropping Mayweather but I recall Judah did. Both Judah and Corley gave Mayweather stylistic fits. Just the southpaw stance alone allowed them to get hit less against Mayweather. I'm a southpaw and have competed in both boxing and martial arts. Just turning southpaw can throw a guy off and give you time to breath. If you don't believe me, go to a gym and ask somebody. It definitely is a factor.

Furthermore, Mayweather taking over after early difficulty with Judah didn't have much with him having such an advanced boxing mind that he was able to decipher Judah. Judah tapers off against EVERYBODY after the 4th and 5th round. Even before Mayweather, I saw Judah inexplicably taper off against a bummish Roque Cassiani and barely escape the fight a winner after a tremendous start. Regarding Corley, there wasn't much for Mayweather to figure out because the guy is a loser and has no clue about how to finish a hurt opponent. Either that or he's some kind of pacifist when he gets a guy hurt.

Pac is the worst southpaw Mayweather could ever see based on styles, speed, power, and work-rate. Mayweather is throwing like 40 punches per round while Pac is throwing about 100 and is a very precise puncher. I don't think Mayweather will be able to shut that down very easily and if he doesn't get stopped he could get outpointed even if the other guy is missing a lot.
Very good logical points one might consider here..i have always thought simular to what u say here...but most that come here offten won't
even consider what your saying even a little bit..how over looking are they...do they even know:confused:

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
I can agree with that but when quoting Floyd Sr, it should be noted that he makes a lot of quotes that often don't bear out.

He did NOT almost prove him right. It was an even fight through the first half, leaning Mayweather and then he pulled away.
Not sure how the Mayweather/Mosley wins over DLH are relevent but I agree and I've said as much. Mosley beat him in his prime, Mayweather on the decline. It should be pointed out that Mayweather was fighting a 160lbs DLH while he only weighed about 150.

It's strange how I can agree with you but you still want to argue points. Southpaws can be trouble for orthodox fighters. We agree on that and I can't remember us not. But to say they gave him stylistic fits leaves out the fact that neither of them won more than 2-3 rds off him.
He was knockdown (glove touched the mat) in both but only one was counted. I can't remember which it was.

Mayweather didn't take over after the 4th, he won the 3rd and the 4th, with Judah having a flare of offense in the closing moments of the 4th. Then he dominated him throughtout until giving him the 12th by not fighting.

Seeing how Pacquiao's only fought one true counterpuncer with any semblance of defense I went to see how many punches he threw against JMM
Not even close to 100 and his accuracy was horrible
http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/view.php?pg=compubox-manny-pacquiao-juan-manuel-marquez

That was the first fight. I think it's a given that Manny did grow and improve as a fighter by the second one. Still not great results.
http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/view.php?pg=compubox-juan-manuel-marquez-manny-pacquiao

Now if he fights that fight against Mayweather, who proved with Mosley he can take a hard punch twice in the 2nd round so that would eliminate the knockdowns he got on JMM, he'll lose. Statistically speaking. Anything can happen in the ring.

merce77

Star
Registered
The Blueprint to Beating Manny Pacquiao:

#1. Attack the Body

Pacquiao has blitzed through the boxing world in the last five years, but there was a time when he didn’t appear to be invincible. He has lost and he’s been knocked out, specifically, by a body punch.

Recently, we’ve also seen Pacquiao hurt, maybe as much as casual fans can even remember, in his last fight with Antonio Margarito by body shots while he was against the ropes.

He looked like he wanted to go down and even admitted after the fight that the body shots had him in trouble.

#2.Work off of the Jab

Any of the fighters that have a real chance at beating Pacquiao at this stage in his career need to work off the jab. Much like the feint, the jab has shown to totally disrupt Pacquiao’s movement, especially when he’s bouncing on his toes and moving in and out.

Morales did well to jab Pacquiao in the first fight but almost abandoned it in the second fight and tried to make the fight a war, which was obviously a bad idea.

Marquez, on the other hand, displayed the best use of a jab against Pacquiao that I can remember. Morales and Marquez both did a good job of jabbing to the face AND the body.

Marquez continually jabbed Pacquiao to the liver and all but stopped Pacquiao from coming forward in the middle rounds of the fight. Another thing that has always frustrated me is that fighters will keep trying to jab Pacquiao to the head when he’s moving his head; no one has ever just started jabbing him to the chest.

This is something taught from the amateur level into the pros, but it’s under utilized at the pro level.

Being jabbed to the chest almost never really hurts, but it’s bothersome and annoying. More importantly, it throws a fighter off of their game plan and gets them to stop moving their head as much.

Pacquiao can be hard to land a good punch against when he’s at his best. You need all the help you can get.

#3.The Art of the Feint

When I was growing up, my older brother used to act like he was going to hit me in the arm and if I flinched, he would hit me twice for flinching. If I didn’t flinch, he would just hit me anyways. More often than not though, I flinched, because he was a master of the feint. I was always certain that he was about to hit me.

Feinting really is an art.

You use this mock attack to disrupt someone else’s timing and to set up other punches, whether as a big brother bullying your younger, feeble brother or as a prize fighter.

Two fighters employed this method better than anyone else and also had the best results of anyone facing Pacquiao in the last five years: Erik Morales and Juan Manuel Marquez.

Morales had one of the better feint sequences I can remember when he faced Pacquiao in their first fight together in 2005.

Morales was backing Pacquiao up towards the corner and threw a jab. Pacquiao raised both of his hands to guard his face as Morales feinted a looping overhand right. He stopped halfway through throwing the punch and landed a clean uppercut with his left hand.

Morales used the feint several times in this fight and by no coincidence, he won.

Marquez set up counterpunching opportunities by feinting, as well, in both of his fights with Pacquiao and had great success.

You’ll also hear some fighters grunt while they throw punches, like Glen Johnson for instance. While this helps you gain some added leverage by tightening your stomach while throwing a punch, it also helps you sell a feint. If you start throwing the punch and you grunt, an opposing fighter is pretty well fooled into thinking that you’re actually going to throw one and that’s the whole point.

#5.Ring Generalship/Control the Pace of the Fight/Footwork

Of all the things said so far, this may be the most important. Granted, you can’t win a fight by not throwing a punch, but all the fighters at the elite level have punching power, speed or both. Plenty of fighters that fight at the championship level still have poor footwork.

Poor footwork was the nail in the coffin for De La Hoya. He was dragging his right foot every time he threw a punch with his right hand. He wasn’t on his toes or bouncing on his feet.

Margarito has terrible footwork and, coupled with his lack of speed, that made him a sitting duck unless he was able to pin Pacquiao on the ropes.

Ricky Hatton walks straight in most of the time and paid dearly for it.

The list goes on.

Going to the body, working off the jab and feinting all help slow Pacquiao down and make him change his game plan. Freddie Roach isn’t a trainer that offers great advice for any of his fighters if the fight isn’t going well.

If you can derail the game plan for Pacquiao, he fights on instinct and takes more chances. This works in a fighter's favor if they don’t get careless.

#6.Throw Uppercuts/Punch Through His Guard

Many fighters, like Pacquiao and Miguel Cotto for instance, hold their hands to the side of their head in a high guard defensive stance while blocking. Pacquiao has never been difficult to hit right down the middle when he’s facing a fighter that throws straight and accurate punches such as Morales, Marquez, Cotto and Clottey.

I picked De La Hoya to beat Pacquiao because I thought that Oscar intended to fight from distance and use his superior jab against Pacquiao.

I was totally wrong.

De La Hoya fought flat footed and kept trying to jab at Pacquiao’s head and never jabbed to the body or chest to stop Pacquiao’s head movement. Terrible game plan, terribly executed.

I thought Clottey had a real chance to beat Pacquiao because of his sharp and accurate punching, but I didn’t know he was only going to throw a handful of punches in each round.

Anyone that has seen Pacquiao fight knows that he’s prone to eating uppercuts over and over again. He has no defense against it if you’re close to him. His best shot to defend against it is if he happens to hit you harder at the same time you’re throwing a punch.

Morales, Marquez, Cotto, Clottey and Margarito all found a home for the uppercut and landed it often. Morales and Marquez used the uppercut as part of a combination, which worked beautifully to land other punches after the uppercut (which is how an uppercut should be used anyways).

Margarito is painfully slow but was still able to land the uppercut with some success. Regardless of how tough a fighter may be, no one wants to eat uppercuts.

If not the most, it's one of the most damaging punches you can land. It wears down your chin and tires your neck and shoulders.

#7.Defense/Counter Punching

I think it goes without saying that you can’t beat Pacquiao without good defense, but working off of that defense and punching in return would be paramount in beating him.

It almost seems like so many fighters want to knock Pacquiao out that they are aimlessly aggressive. Most fighters he’s fought have fallen into this and, as Pacquiao has matured and improved as a fighter, he’s turned into a pretty good counter puncher himself.

Marquez used the jab to slow Pacquiao down and disrupt his timing, but he also made Pacquiao pay if he missed while throwing a punch. There’s only been two times where it looked like Manny might actually be hurt in the last few years, which is remarkable.

Like I mentioned earlier, Margarito got Pacquiao on the ropes and hurt him with body shots, but Marquez rocked Pacquiao with a counter left hook as Pacquiao was backing up and didn’t have his hands blocking his face. It totally caught him off guard and made him stumble for a second.

Counter punching also throws him off of his game plan and slows down his aggression and in and out movement.

Pacquiao has made bad habits of leaving his hands down while punching or after a punch. The old adage in boxing is “The worst punch is the one you don’t see coming” and counter punching offers you the best opportunity to land one of these punches.

8.Stamina

Pacquiao is always in great shape, so you have to be able to match his stamina.

He doesn’t fade in fights, but he’s slowed down in the past. Going to the body will pay major dividends later in the fight, and he actually looked tired at times against Margarito.

Blame that on his lack of training or not having a good training camp, but he also took some serious body shots and he’s throwing more punches now at the higher weights as well.

He might be a little more prone to wearing down late in the fight.

9.Maintain Composure/Avoid a Firefight

Morales and Marquez both did well against Pacquiao, but they got careless at times and were knocked down in doing so.

Morales switched to southpaw and went toe to toe with Pacquiao in the 12th round of their first fight. One of the most exciting moments I can remember in a fight in a long, long time. One of the problems going into the second fight for Morales, Pacquiao was wearing Reyes gloves instead of the Japanese brand Winning.

A lot of fighters use the Winning brand of gloves in training, including Pacquiao, because they offer better padding and protection over the knuckles, but most of the fighters switch to another brand in an actual fight because they don’t hurt the other fighter as much.

Pacquiao kept using them, so his punches had much more of an effect on Morales.

Morales admitted that he didn’t think Pacquiao was a strong puncher because he beat him so easily the first time, but he couldn’t handle his power in their second and third fights.

Marquez was fighting well and appeared to have Pacquiao on his heels when he was knocked down by a short left hand that he didn’t see coming. He wanted to hurt Pacquiao so badly that it cost him. They also exchanged many punches, and Pacquiao always got the better of Marquez when they did.

Cotto was also fighting well in the first four to five rounds, but he was also hurt and knocked down twice in that time. I think Cotto definitely isn’t the same fighter he used to be before the fight with Margarito and he doesn’t sit down on his punches anymore.

He wasn’t able to really hurt Pacquiao, but his jab and uppercut presented early problems for Pacquiao.

10.Don't Be Afraid to Make Adjustments

Virtually every fighter Pacquiao has faced has fought him with one game plan.

The fighters had no plan B unless their name was Morales and Marquez. You could make the case that Morales and Marquez fought with a different game plan as the fight went on, but they have more tools than a lot of other fighters and can fight in a number of different ways. They did make some adjustments on the fly and they worked well for them

Marco Antonio Barrera was just outgunned both times he fought Pacquiao. Normally a versatile fighter, he was forced to fight Pacquiao’s fight.

Hatton had a game plan and after being knocked down twice in the first round he came out trying to make it a fire fight and paid dearly for it.

De La Hoya fought the same way all night, with the same feeble attempt to throw jabs or right hands. There was no backup plan.

Margarito went into his fight with Pacquiao with a plan. He attempted to jab Pacquiao from long range and actually stuck to that plan longer than most would’ve expected. His disparity in hand speed was quickly evident, and he started to fight the way he has for years. He tried to jab his way in and smother Pacquiao, and that’s when he had the most success and also the most trouble.

11.What Ever Happened to the Clinch?!?!

I fully understand that it may not be easy to clinch a guy that is throwing four, five and six-punch combinations at you, but it’s not impossible. No one really ever clinches Pacquiao.

If Bernard Hopkins were in his prime and fought at the same weight as Pacquiao, he would control the pace of the fight and fight at the distance that would be best for him.

He would also use his jab to disrupt Pacquiao’s timing, but he would also clinch. He would rough Pacquiao up on the inside and score points by fighting in the clinch.

With a fighter that relies on hand speed, combinations and punching power, why not smother him? Why not clinch? Why not fight while in the clinch? Something to consider.

12.Inactivity

I don’t know why more wasn’t made out of this, but Pacquiao’s longest period of inactivity was between his fight with Clottey and Margarito.

I’ll say it again:

His longest period of inactivity since he’s been a professional fighter was between his last two fights.

I think everyone knows, at this point, that Pacquiao was elected as a congressman in his native Philippines. He’s the biggest celebrity in his country and a politician at the same time. He’s Obama, Elvis, The Beatles, Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie and their kids in his home country in terms of popularity.

He’s busy.

He came into his fight with Margarito in good shape but not Manny Pacquiao shape. He still had a body that most men would like to have but not in as good of shape as he had been in the past.

If you’re a fighter signing a contract to fight Pacquiao, try and make the fight as far away as possible. He’s going to be distracted; he’s going to be busy.

If he’s not in 100 percent shape like he used to be, body shots will do even more damage.

13.Don't Throw All of Your Eggs in One Basket

Manny Pacquiao is a great fighter, no question. He’s obviously not easy to beat by any means.

That doesn’t mean that he can only be beaten one way.

Fighters tend to fight him like the only way he can be beaten is if you knock him out. That usually leaves guys with one option: get into a fire fight with Pacquiao.

Anyone who is going to beat Pacquiao has to be versatile and has to have good defense. They also have to be able to match Pacquiao in speed or be almost as fast. You also have to have enough power to keep Pacquiao honest.

98957331_display_image.jpg

Mayweather has to beat the legal system before he fights anyone again. This might be the quickest deterioration of an athlete’s personal life since Mike Tyson.

It’s hard to imagine a fight with Pacquiao ever happening, especially when it could’ve happened twice already when he had no legal issues and didn’t take the fight for various reasons. The deck is really stacked against Mayweather now, which is a shame. It would be one of the most anticipated fights ever and probably the most watched fight ever.

A fight of this caliber on network television would be the talk of the sports world. You wouldn’t be able to escape hearing about it.

Mayweather has all the tools to beat Pacquiao. He does all of the things I mentioned as far as what would be needed to beat Pacquiao.

He’s just as fast, he’s a great counterpuncher, he has great footwork and defense, works off the jab and lead left hook, throws a great straight right hand which works wonders against southpaws, makes great in-fight adjustments, doesn’t like to get into fire fights, maintains composure, clinches when needed and never runs out of energy.

If there was a fighter created as a prototype to beat Pacquiao, it would be Mayweather.

You guys are entitled to your opinions but when Amir Khan is ready he'll give Mayweather a better fight than Pacman would ever be capable of giving him. Pac doesn't have the tools. The southpaw angle is WAAAY overrated and Floyd has already been hit and rocked by Mosley who is more of a pure puncher than Pacman. The only way Pac wins is by KO, and I don't see that shit happening at all.

Last edited:

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
Very good logical points one might consider here..i have always thought simular to what u say here...but most that come here offten won't
even consider what your saying even a little bit..how over looking are they...do they even know:confused:

Sure we do.
Speaking for myself, I take Zef seriously when he's talking boxing even if I vehemently disagree. Shit I even find him funny at times (dude has an off kilter sense of humor and I mean that as a compliment). I think adults can disagree strongly and still be respectful (see other thread the back and forth between myself and merce77). But when he goes into some other shit, I check out and just ignore his blather.

merce77

Star
Registered
Quick correction Dave. Corley didn't drop him, wobbled his legs and Floyd had to back up onto the ropes, no knockdown though.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
Now I'm not quoting all that shit but I think the fact that a jab has some effect on slowing Mayweather and Manny doesn't have a steady, consistent, strong jab works heavily against him.

If he gets past this legal shit and gets Pacquaio, he'll be long gone before Roach and GB would let Khan and May fight. But if he can't get Pac and Khan can make it happen at 140 and make some noise at welter by mid-2011, I can see them fighting by the end of the year.

Edited.

Last edited: