Star
Registered
eternal_flame.gif

Mango21

Star
BGOL Investor
Just Pre-ordered the new book on Steve Jobs, to be released on Oct 24th

stevejobscovertiteled-500x340.png

The book, which was fully authorized by Steve Jobs and is based on over 40 interviews with Jobs and interviews with over 100 of his friends and family members, was already of strong interest to Apple fans and has seen a massive increase in demand since yesterday, registering as the #1 selling book at Amazon with a sales gain on the order of 40,000% over the past 24 hours.

This will be a great read.
-----------------

R.I.P Steve Jobs.
You've been a HUGE help in the way I record, produce and mix music for the masses.

Thanks for EVERYTHING.

-Mango-

tekwehuself

Immigrant Expat
International Member
Re: Steve Jobs is dead

...RIP

btw....i know this might not fit in with the thread..but imo someone with that much money couldve found a way to survive. Most of his health issues came via Cancer ...right? Those type of advanced Cancers are curable.... arent they? When I type curable I mean curable for elite people...elite people that have billions and do bizness with those that have billions/trilions.

Maybe if he had contributed (more?) to Cancer research, then he would have witnessed a cure or at least a breakthrough.

Ryokurin

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Maybe if he had contributed (more?) to Cancer research, then he would have witnessed a cure or at least a breakthrough.

He likely has. He never made public what he gave to, or much about his private life at all to the point that the only reason people know he was a Democrat is due to donations made in his wife's name. There's been several large anonymous donations to cancer research teams of several universities, especially over the past 5 years or so, but we'll probably never really know nor is it really anyone's business. I'll doubt his survivors will ever bring it up unless people try to shit on his legacy after a while.

Ruff Ryder

Robotix
Registered
Steve Jobs was a bad muhfucka, came from a working class family and had to drop out of college because it was too expensive.

Respect.

R.I.P.

tekwehuself

Immigrant Expat
International Member

He likely has. He never made public what he gave to, or much about his private life at all to the point that the only reason people know he was a Democrat is due to donations made in his wife's name. There's been several large anonymous donations to cancer research teams of several universities, especially over the past 5 years or so, but we'll probably never really know nor is it really anyone's business. I'll doubt his survivors will ever bring it up unless people try to shit on his legacy after a while.

Very true. That is a possibility. The more and more I witness death of 'invincibles', the more I realize that the legacy you leave behind after life should be equally as great or greater than the mark you leave when you are alive.

Life truly does go on.

AgentCreed

Star
Registered

Gawker just went in on people who are going nuts over his death

So, Steve Jobs is dead. A tech genius has passed on. Sad. Certainly a devastating loss to Steve Jobs' close friends and family members, as well as to Apple executives and shareholders. The rest of you? Calm down.

Among my Facebook friends yesterday, more than one wrote publicly that they were "crying" or "can't stop crying" or "teared up" due to Steve Jobs' death. Really now. You can't stop crying, now that you've heard that a middle-aged CEO has passed on, after a long battle with cancer? If humans were always so empathetic, well, that would be understandable. But this type of one-upmanship of public displays of grief is both unbecoming and undeserved.

Steve Jobs Was Not GodReal outpourings of public grief should be reserved for those people who lived life so heroically and selflessly that they stand as shining examples of love for all of humanity. People like, for example, the Rev. Fred Shuttlesworth, who—along with his family—was bombed, beaten, and stabbed during his years of principled activism in the US civil rights movement. Shuttlesworth died yesterday, the same day as Steve Jobs. He did not die a billionaire.

http://gawker.com/5847338/steve-jobs-was-not-god

finessse

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Why is everyone thinking he did anything but make money? I'm tired of all this. First Giz has like 18 articles about him, then NPR spent the better part of 2 hours (probably longer but I cut out after 11am). The man deserves an AP news blurb and that's it. Other people died yesterday that people need to notice. I did not even know anything about those people and I wish now I did.

I give him credit for making Apple computers. Clap, clap clap. But let's set the record straight on a number of things...

He DID NOT:

1. He did NOT revolutionize music or how we buy it. He took what was existing (ie digital music over the internet) and wrapped iTunes around it. Basically forcing everyone to use his service.

2. He did NOT revolutionize how we listen to music. He took what was existing (ie mp3 players, etc) and wrapped an iPod around it. Basically forcing everyone to use his application.

3. He did NOT revolutionize computers. He did back when he founded Apple but not when he came back.

4. He did NOT revolutionize phones. He took what was there (ie Palm, BlackBerry, Windows Mobile, etc) and wrapped an iPhone around it.

5. He did NOT revolutionize apps on a mobile phone or similar device. He took what was there and wrapped iTunes around it. Basically forcing everyone to use his application.

6. He did NOT revolutionize tablet computers. He took what was there (ie too many to list) and wrapped an iPad (iPod Touch first) around it. Basically forcing everyone to use his service.

He DID:

1. He did hire people to come up with great products that people took notice of and became a successful venture.

2. He did help create Apple computers (I'm not talking about the actual computer but he did do that with Woz).

3. He did make people notice him.

4. He did use his influence to build the momentum that now follows Apple products.

5. He did keep his products at a certain factory after it was public that people killed themselves after working at a terrible place working on his products.

6. He did ruins people's lives by suing (or threatening to sue) people for no good reason.

7. He did have a crooked judge allow a search of someone's home because a tester dropped his phone.

8. He did allow crooked cops and employees to search someone's home under false pretenses because a tester dropped his phone.

9. He did fire people for talking either too much or didn't drink the "apple" juice.

10. He did last longer with his cancer than anyone else should have because he was rich.

There's more on both sides but I'm tired...

/soapbox

/thread

kesq

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I don't disagree with the above post, but I think it missed what dude was about.

Engineers in the fam consider this proposition: Jobs was the most influential systems integrator the world has yet seen.

And for the old heads in the fam- doesn't this remind you of when John Lennon got shot? Folks who never met him or barely knew him acting like they lost a parent? Just saying.

Ryokurin

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I gotta disagree with a lot of that.

1. Yes digital music over the internet existed before itunes, along with several different programs that sold it. But the difference is that before him no one tried to sell it in a total package, that is with a audio player, and a decent sized stable of artists from all labels. People before either made you buy the entire album, charged more than $99 or only got a few labels to agree. If it was all about force then people would have moved on when other stores that were DRM free were available.

2. Pretty much every player before the IPod had something about it that was bullshit. Huge, zero buffer, hard to find, or whatever. In Sept 2001 about the only one that could have done it was the Creative nomad, and their software was shit. I had to use 3rd party software to use it properly and even with their software I could never get it to play a song from a folder at random unless I played a song from it first. I didn't buy a ipod until around 5 years later but I'll admit that it was among the first that didn't have a major flaw.

3. If you are looking for something 96 to now, USB. It was on machines from windows 95 onward but you can thank Apple's users to getting stores to actually carry products. It was controversial at the time as he killed off Apple's ADB at the same time which some thought was superior. There's more to this but it belongs more in the next post.

the rest: The key to his success was knowing what would get normal consumers excited, and what would make it too confusing or something they would not use. This goes all the way back to the Apple II. Even today a lot of companies still don't get it, specs mean nothing when you don't understand them or you cant keep track what type of memory your phone uses, or how to install things and on and on. It kept growing because it was consistent, not because they were locked in.

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
this is very ignorant... business and tech wise, whoever wrote it doesn't know what the fuck they are talking about...
just on the first point ... Apple forced the majors to agree on a uniform price point for music (many forget how obstinate the RIAA was to internet commerce) -made it easier /simpler for the public to buy music than to steal it -made it cheaper to buy music digitally instead of brick and mortar - creating revenue where none existed previously... like tablet PCs. they were a dieing fad until Apple released the iPad

I don't feel like breaking down the rest of this ignorance... the innovations were in business and tech... sometimes utilizing tech others couldn't see the benefit of, like the GUI that almost everyone uses now, that Apple was the first to use, Xerox invented it but couldn't apply it...
or like visual voicemail, the wheel and interface on the iPod, capacitive touchscreens on devices, with the ability to accept multiple simultaneous input...

Last edited: