Hines Ward Question

WILL HINES WARD MAKE THE H.O.F.

• Total voters

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
Yes, Hines will be in the hall of fame. When you are the all-time leader in any category in Steelers history, you will be in the hall of fame. Period. End of discussion. Anyone who does not understand that is a fuckin asshole. :yes:

nick177th

Star
Registered
Yes, Hines will be in the hall of fame. When you are the all-time leader in any category in Steelers history, you will be in the hall of fame. Period. End of discussion. Anyone who does not understand that is a fuckin asshole. :yes:

If you notice though, "finesse" receivers go in the HOF first. Not saying it's right, it's just a fact. Look how long it took Art Monk to get in. Hines can play both games although it never looks like he's playing finesse. No doubt Hines could play in a "west coast" offense. There are only a hand full of receivers I'd take before Hines Ward if I were going to build a team. He brings so many intangibles to the table. Hines' greatest asset is he's tough then a muthafucka.

He gets those quiet numbers much like John Stallworth. The most astonishing record he holds/shares on "the Burgh" to me is that him and Plax were the first two Pittsburgh receivers to both go over 1,000 yards in the same season. That's unreal. We (I belld Black and Gold) passed much more back in the day than we do now. Not that we passed that much but, I would've thought that Stallworth and Swann went over 1,000 yds in the same season.

Makkonnen

The Quizatz Haderach
BGOL Investor
he'll make it faster than some others who deserve it more because of the politics involved

Makkonnen

The Quizatz Haderach
BGOL Investor
you might be on to something with that .:yes:
notice no one talks shit about ward? he is considered a tough guy, willing to hurt himself to hurt a defender on a block and comes up big under pressure - add that to not great but not mediocre numbers and thats all most writers will need to vote for him
i can see these bitch ass writers making more of an issue about TO

KINGFROMQUEENS

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
notice no one talks shit about ward? he is considered a tough guy, willing to hurt himself to hurt a defender on a block and comes up big under pressure - add that to not great but not mediocre numbers and thats all most writers will need to vote for him
i can see these bitch ass writers making more of an issue about TO

OH YOU KNOW THEY ARE GONNA HATE ON HIM, BUT HIS NUMBERS IN THE END WILL NOT ALLOW THEM TO BE ABLE TO FUCK WITH T.O.

WhenTheGoingGetsTtuff

Rising Star
Registered
I say no because he's peers are so much greater. Torry, Marvin, Terrel, Randy, Reggie,Chad, hell even Fitzgerald, smith and Bouldin are going to surpass his numbers. He numbers won't even be in the top 20 receivers by 2015.

This is how i feel about it as well. He's a small drop i think in a verrrrry deep pool.

KINGFROMQUEENS

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
About 3 or 4 years ago

I was in a good conversation on this board about Hines Ward's chances of making the Hall of Fame. I argued that he was going to make it, but I was met by stiff opposition by some. I presented many facts including his numbers at the time, that were better than some of the THEN current HOF's. I just want to know what is the thought now. I think (As I did then) that he will make it in easy. What do you guys think?
2nu4myc.jpg

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor
Re: About 3 or 4 years ago

Probably won't make 1st ballot but he is a Hall Of Famer....

possibly one of my favorite WR cuz he plays the position with a toughness & mean streak I never seen before....

cat loves to block & rock LB's & DB's...& he was/is clutch....:yes:

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor
Stands by everything said. I think it's pretty much been established by now that DBs have WAY more rules inhibiting them from making big hits over the middle than there was in Lofton's day. In today's game a player like Ronnie Lott (who some consider the greatest db ever) would probably lead the league in penalties. Pass interference has been completely altered to now favor the WR as well. That's not to decrease the value of a Hines Ward, that is merely to place his achievements in their proper perspective. To me, Ward is like Larry Holmes....the champion over a more mediocre lot of fighters than any other. But a champion nonetheless. I also happen to believe that had Ward been part of a more sophisticated passing attack and not relying on that "hooplehead" Big Ben that his stats would probably be more gaudy. As it stands they are very good and just a hair short of exceptional. Although I believe there are some just as deserving who had to wait a very long time to get inducted, at this time Ward deserves the HOF but certainly not on the first ballot

bumped

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor

Why not just bump the old thread? Pretty easy to find:

http://www.bgol.us/board/showthread.php?t=304129

btw, I was NEVER opposed to Ward being inducted. I merely said that after a few more years at the same level he should get in....and I still believe that.
So 2 years have passed (almost 3) I believe he warrants consideration although still not a first ballot HOFer. As long as he don't do anything stupid he will get in.

KINGFROMQUEENS

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

why not just bump the old thread? Pretty easy to find:

http://www.bgol.us/board/showthread.php?t=304129

btw, i was never opposed to ward being inducted. I merely said that after a few more years at the same level he should get in....and i still believe that.
So 2 years have passed (almost 3) i believe he warrants consideration although still not a first ballot hofer. As long as he don't do anything stupid he will get in.

thanks for the assist !!!!

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator

The old and the new; merged. BTW, he'd have my vote.