High Fructose Corn Poison... I mean Syrup

divine

Superstar
BGOL Investor

Established in 2001

Worse Than Sugar

Experts are finding that "high-fructose corn syrup" (HFCS) is making us fat. Scientists at nutrition research centers are saying that it's a huge problem.

Exactly what is "high-fructose corn syrup"? Well, it's not the same thing at all as the natural, healthy fructose in honey and fruit. "High-fructose corn syrup" is a highly refined, artificial product. It is created through an intricate process that transforms cornstarch into a thick, clear liquid. White sugar and "high-fructose corn syrup" are not the same. Industry advocates for corn growers say that they are the same. But nutritional science studies say that there is a big difference between the two. They say that "high-fructose corn syrup" is worse than sugar.

This manufactured fructose is sweeter than sugar in an unhealthy way, and is digested differently in a bad way. Research has shown that "high-fructose corn syrup" goes directly to the liver, releasing enzymes that instruct the body to then store fat! This may elevate triglyceride (fat in blood) levels and elevate cholesterol levels. This fake fructose may slow fat burning and cause weight gain. Other research indicates that it does not stimulate insulin production, which usually creates a sense of being full. Therefore, people may eat more than they should. Indications also are that the important chromium levels are lowered by this sweetener which may then contribute to type 2 diabetes. Obesity is a contributor too.

Many older Americans are overweight. As we age, our taste buds don't work as efficiently, prompting us to eat more of everything that tastes sweet. "High-fructose corn syrup" is in almost everything.

The dangers of white sugar have been known for a long time. But now the evidence seems clear that "high-fructose corn syrup" is an even more dangerous consequence for our love of sweets. Dietary experts are singling out this fake syrup as one reason for the startling rise in obesity in America and related increase in diabetes.

"High-fructose corn syrup" is not the corn syrup you buy in a bottle at the supermarket to use for baking. It's an artificial additive that's cheaper and easier for manufacturers of sodas and fruit juices to use. If you read labels, you'll find this additive in such products as pizzas, baked beans, candies, yeast breads, sweetened yogurt, baby food, ketchup, cookies, beer, sodas, juices and alarmingly in most brands of manufactured foods. I have to read a lot of labels to find a brand that doesn't contain "HFCS". If the artificial additive "high-fructose corn syrup" is added to an otherwise healthy food, is it still healthy? If you add a speck of poison to vitamins, are they still good for you? After all, just a speck of poison probably won't hurt you on the spot, but accumulative amounts most probably will. 30 years of these accumulative affects of "high-fructose corn syrup" is evident in the obesity and health problems we have today.

Manufacturers of food products began substituting "high-fructose corn syrup" for white sugar in the 1970's. A red flag went up in my mind when I read these facts. I remember distinctly in the 70's when this happened. I was in the habit of drinking one Coca Cola every day since the 1960's. I never put on weight with only one coke per day. I clearly remember when this fake corn syrup replaced the sugar in sodas. The cola's didn't taste as good, and I began to put on weight. I remember that I knew it was the Cokes, but couldn't figure out why. I never made the connection between my weight gain and the change from sugar to "high-fructose corn syrup".

I believe that there's something meaningful in the fact that the increase of the use of "high-fructose corn syrup" in the 1990's, coincides with the obesity epidemic. This coincidence cannot easily be explained away. Annual consumption of this artificial sweetener today is more than 60 pounds per person. It was only about 1/2 pound per person in 1970. The U.S. Agriculture Department reports that Americans consume more "high-fructose corn syrup" than white sugar.

"High-fructose corn syrup" is highly valued by food manufacturers. It's easy to transport in tanker trucks. It isn't susceptible to freezer burn, as is sugar. It has a long shelf life and keeps foods from becoming dry. It gives bread and baked products a wonderful color. It's also cheaper than white sugar, partly because of generous federal subsidies and trade policies that encourage farmers to grow more corn. Fast food chains add it to their products because it is cheaper. It's in the sauces, in the condiments, in the breadings, in the buns and in the drinks. It is the commercially preferred artificial sweetener.

What's worse than sugar? Now you know.

clayizaiken

Star
Registered
95923838.jpg

RoomService

Dinner is now being served.
BGOL Investor
c/s 100 this shit in everything you eat even ice cream:smh:
best post in a long time 4 u 5 stars :lol:

Djmarkxr7

OG BGOL'er
Registered
I've felt this way for years long before any reports came out!

Things don't taste as sweet and it also leaves an aftertaste.

Since the food isn't as sweet my thinking was that your "sweet tooth" isn't satisfied like it would be with real sugar so as a result you still crave more "sweets" which results in over-eating which results in obesity.

HFCS is the main difference between when my generation grew up and now.

Fat kids were the exception, NOT the rule.

Now fat kids are the rule, NOT the exception!

Get rid of HFCS and half the fat kids disappear.

Send them outside to play in the sun and there goes the other half!

badman32

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Stevia tastes nasty, the sweetest and best alternative sugar that I've found and use is Organic Coconut Palm Sugar. It has a glycemic index of about 35 and has a lot of micro-nutrients and a good amount of protein. It tastes a bit like brown sugar.

dawg9

Potential Star
Registered
Good post!!! I have been turned on to this for probably 5 or 6 years now... I think I saw a documentary on HBO or something. I still love my juices but now I pay that extra cash for juice not from concentrate. I totally x'd that high fructose shit out of my diet.

badman32

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Stevia tastes nasty, the sweetest and best alternative sugar that I've found and use is Organic Coconut Palm Sugar. It has a glycemic index of about 35 and has a lot of micro-nutrients and a good amount of protein. It tastes a bit like brown sugar.

Devilstrider

Rising Star
OG Investor
c/s 100 this shit in everything you eat even ice cream:smh:
best post in a long time 4 u 5 stars :lol:

Thats why i read the labels of the stuff i buy. Also cats be posting BBQ sauce they use. All of them are loaded with this shit. Only one does not have it in it and its bulls eye BBQ sauce. Believe me on that because i read every damn label in the store.

Megatron X

A Prophet of Doom
BGOL Investor
I use stevia.

There is a soda drink at Whole Foods called Zevia. It has no sugar or calories. It only has carbohydrates from this sweetener. I cannot think of the name now. But the sweetener makes the carbohydrate's 16 grams. It's good to eat natural sugar or brown sugar or shit that says "no sugar added". All that sugar adds weight to your ass.

Other shit cats should not fuck with are partially hydrogenated soybean oil, aspatarme, trans-fat, and MSG. From my observations at the supermarkets, a lot of people, especially non whites, do not care about the ingredients. I don't eat red meat but I see a lot of cats eat that hypertension, artery clogging shit.

Last edited:

ScottyPiffen745

BGOL CSI: Connoisseur of Sluts on Instagram™
Registered
That shit is in everything!

HFCS is one of the reasons I stopped drinking sodas. I tried to look for alternative drinks that come in flavors but only to find out most of these fruit juices is all the same ingredients and 5% to no juice. :smh:

I bought a green tea today, I didn't realize the shits in that too, so now I got start making my own tea.

malaki

Star
Registered
There is a soda drink at Whole Foods called Zevia. It has no sugar or calories. It only has carbohydrates from this sweetener. I cannot think of the name now. But the sweetener makes the carbohydrate's 16 grams. It's good to eat natural sugar or brown sugar or shit that says "no sugar added". All that sugar adds weight to your ass.

Other shit cats should not fuck with are partially hydrogenated soybean oil, aspatarme, trans-fat, and MSG. From my observations at the supermarkets, a lot of people, especially non blacks, do not care about the ingredients. I don't eat red meat but I see a lot of cats eat that hypertension, artery clogging shit.

zevia is the shit, it uses stevia as a sweetener. stevia is actually good for you. zevia has 0 calories. but you should still drink more water. its a damn good tasting soda though.

speaking of MSG, they don't label it as MSG a lot of the time. they used terms like hydrolized soy protein. trust MSG is in damn near every packaged chips etc. you just have to stop buying packaged crap from regular stores....go to the health food store an buy some of the good snacks but just eat real food for most of your calories. basically you have to make it yourself there is no other way to make it work.

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
this is a good post. Reading labels can prolong your health and well-being IMO. hell, its to the point where i''ll even drop chicks over that shit. If you have no interest in a healthy life how can one have a healthy family with you?
for proof just look at most of your older relatives (mine included) , no disrespect intended.

Black Limey

Star
Registered
It's not as commonplace in the UK. But we are aware of the dangers

It makes me laugh that people stress about things like this but still smoke like mad and down beer like water.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

HFCS is the main difference between when my generation grew up and now.

Fat kids were the exception, NOT the rule.

Now fat kids are the rule, NOT the exception!

Get rid of HFCS and half the fat kids disappear.

Send them outside to play in the sun and there goes the other half!

So fucking true, man. When alot of us (and our parents) were growing up ... times were safer. Parents trusted their kids running around the neighborhood, at the park, etc. Playing in the yard, whatever. Being outside and healthy/active! Nowadays ... LITTLE KIDS have gaming consoles and tvs in their rooms ... kids with phones/cellphones/PSP/Xbox/PS3/the internet, etc. Computers in rooms ... kids hanging out in their bedrooms, online, at the mall, etc. My dad was a firefighter for 34 years and he had an OUTSTANDING/ONGOING BET with his crew ... that he'd buy them ALL LUNCH the first time they ever spotted a kid (or kids) playing in the front yard tossing a football or baseball to one another ... the whole crew ... lunch. It took NEARLY 12 YEARS FOR THEM TO SPOT KIDS IN THE FRONT YARD ... and we live in a province of 3 million people or so ... and this was the damn 1990s :eek::eek::eek: :puke::puke::puke: :lol::lol::lol: :angry::angry::angry:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
this is a good post. Reading labels can prolong your health and well-being IMO. hell, its to the point where i''ll even drop chicks over that shit. If you have no interest in a healthy life how can one have a healthy family with you?
for proof just look at most of your older relatives (mine included) , no disrespect intended.

Yeah - and the sad thing about it too is that it's all about taking your time and choices/moderation. It doesn't hurt ANYONE to grab an item in the store and flip it around and glance at some of the key ingredients, or simply size up the FAT/SUGAR/SODIUM content ... seriously ... people are way too fucking lazy in the 00s ... and they and their families will pay for it in the decades to come.

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
jesus that is sad...but very true. and to those that thought they were so damn safe by drinking green teas :lol: it pays to read labels. i had an old friend that had'nt seen in about 7yrs come visit me recently. I guess in the back of her mind she wanted to get with me, but i've swithched to healthy living the past 2-3 yrs and love it. Absolutely refuse to get serious with a woman who does'nt live a healthy lifestyle. Anyways she stops by the store en route to my place to pick up some munchies or whatever, and wants to share it with me, like old times. That is until i ask her how much sodium is in those chips she's eating. She gets defensive :lol:
I'm sorry, no amount of black woman bullshit can counter whats printed on the damn label on the bag. She then plays dumb and asks " is that a lot of sodium?" Needless to say i am in the cutting phase of my workouts and can't have ANY sodium intake. I calmly tell her that sodium makes your body retain water. She's supposedly losing weight but i can't tell. Anyways my lifestyle change (or my dedication to it)must have touched a nerve with her because it's been 3 wks and i have'nt heard from her since :lol::lol::lol:

kdub83

Star
Registered
I just seen one of them commericals talking about how HFCS is the same as sugar. I yelled lies at the TV :angry: This shit is getting serious too. They need to go ahead and ban this bad for you shit. I try to get stuff that does not have it in there, but the shit is literally in everything. I move into an apt in a week so I will go by fresh foods when I get settled in and grab some healthy stuff. Will be my first time going.

ScottyPiffen745

BGOL CSI: Connoisseur of Sluts on Instagram™
Registered
I just seen one of them commericals talking about how HFCS is the same as sugar. I yelled lies at the TV :angry: This shit is getting serious too. They need to go ahead and ban this bad for you shit. I try to get stuff that does not have it in there, but the shit is literally in everything. I move into an apt in a week so I will go by fresh foods when I get settled in and grab some healthy stuff. Will be my first time going.

I seen one of those commercials, they had like a soccer mom pouring her kid something to drink and then she started talking about how HFCS was actually good for you, man I bout fell out of my chair :lol:

Edit: It was like this:

[flash]http://www.youtube.com/v/EEbRxTOyGf0&hl=en_US&fs=1&[/flash]

The message is: You know the shit is bad for you, but you don't know why, so you should just eat it anyway :lol: Cuz it's like eating corn

kdub83

Star
Registered
I seen one of those commercials, they had like a soccer mom pouring her kid something to drink and then she started talking about how HFCS was actually good for you, man I bout fell out of my chair :lol:

Edit: It was like this:

[flash]http://www.youtube.com/v/EEbRxTOyGf0&hl=en_US&fs=1&[/flash]

The message is: You know the shit is bad for you, but you don't know why, so you should just eat it anyway :lol: Cuz it's like eating corn

Yup it was this one. Got the black chick in it and everything :angry::angry: