Game Of Thrones: The Sopranos with swords or Dynasty in chainmail?

Database Error

You're right dawg
OG Investor
I thought that this new series was going to be alright at best. The first episode alot more than I expected. Better than the entire season 8 of the last series. I had low expectations but this episode was tight. I'm in.

RoomService

Dinner is now being served.
BGOL Investor

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor
305216878_177167644826213_3625973807359385030_n.jpg
305216878_177167644826213_3625973807359385030_n.jpg

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Maisie Williams recalls being 'indoctrinated' by her father into a 'child cult' against her mother

The Game of Thrones actress opened up about her traumatic childhood and coming to grips with her past.
By Lester Fabian BrathwaiteSeptember 27, 2022 at 11:06 PM EDT

Maisie Williams recently opened up about her traumatic relationship with her father, whom she says "indoctrinated" her into a "child cult" against her mother.
The Game of Thrones actress made these revelations on the "Diary of a CEO" podcast, speaking with host Steven Bartlett. Though she didn't want to get into too much detail, as it "affects my siblings and my whole family," Williams recalled learning that her mother "escaped" her father when she was just four months old.
"I, as a young child before the age of 8, had quite a traumatic relationship with my dad," Williams said. Around that age she began to understand just how traumatic that relationship was.

Maisie Williams recently opened up about her traumatic relationship with her father, whom she says "indoctrinated" her into a "cult against my mother."

| CREDIT: ANTONY JONES/GETTY
"Ever since I can remember, I've really struggled sleeping and I think a lot the traumatic things that were happening I didn't realize that they were wrong," Williams said. "But I knew that I would look around at other kids and be like, 'Why don't they seem to understand this, like, pain or dread or fear? ... Where does the joy, like, when does that come for me?'"

Williams noted the turning point was when a teacher took her aside and asked about her welfare, if she'd been eating breakfast. She says the teacher was "asking all the right questions" like what was wrong, if she ate or was hungry. She asked why Williams hadn't eaten breakfast, and she recounted telling the teacher that "We just don't have any breakfast."

Though the truth was slowly beginning to come out about her father, Williams was resistant to accepting it, and thought her mother was "just trying to take me away from my dad." Williams said she had been "indoctrinated" by her father.

"I get it, I was in a child cult against my mother. So I was really fighting it at the beginning, but basically my whole world flipped on its head," Williams said. "And even though all these things I was feeling — 'Oh, my God, I'm so glad I don't have to see my dad anymore' — it still was against everything I knew to be true."
Williams, who no longer interacts with her father, has been coming to terms with the past and how to deal with her trauma, realizing in the process that she was not at fault for her mistreatment.
"It's not because of me that these bad things happened when I was a child," she said. "I felt there was something inherently wrong with me, or us, because we did lots of things wrong all the time, which is why you'd be mistreated."
Now, she finds herself more "interested" in what would drive a father to mistreat his own children, noting that her feeling about him is reduced to the fact that he would "make a fascinating documentary."

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Game of Thrones book coauthors respond to fan boycotts and accusations of racism

Linda Antonsson and Elio M. García Jr., the writers behind The Rise of the Dragon companion novel, have addressed uproar over past controversial remarks.

By Nick RomanoOctober 04, 2022 at 01:27 PM EDT

With the upcoming release of The Rise of the Dragon, the first volume of a visual history of the Targaryen family from George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire book series, past remarks and controversies surrounding its coauthors have resurfaced among the Game of Thrones fandom.
Writers and married couple Linda Antonsson and Elio M. García Jr. have now responded to claims of racism in a new interview with Variety published Tuesday. This comes after fans have threatened to boycott The Rise of the Dragon.
Antonsson, who previously coauthored Game of Thrones companion book The World of Ice and Fire with García, has consistently expressed incendiary views about inclusive casting on HBO's series Game of Thrones and House of the Dragon. That has included the recent casting of Steve Toussaint, a Black actor, as Lord Corlys Velaryon and more generally the casting of people of color portraying other members of House Velaryon.

But Antonsson told Variety that people have "cherry-picked statements stripped of context." She also stated it bothers her to be "labeled a racist" when she says her focus "has been solely on the world building." She added that she has no issue with inclusive casting but strongly believes "diversity should not trump story."
A representative for the authors' publisher Ten Speed Press did not immediately respond to EW's request for comment.

The cover of 'The Rise of the Dragon,' a visual history of House Targaryen

| CREDIT: TEEN SPEED PRESS
The issues certain fans have with Antonsson and García are multilayered and go back years, as many have already catalogued on social media. Antonsson and García created and manage the online fan forum Westeros.org. Martin then recruited them as "fact-checkers" for his A Song of Ice and Fire book A Feast for Crows. They collaborated with Martin on The World of Ice and Fire and now The Rise of the Dragon.

Antonsson has taken to her Tumblr blog and to Twitter to decry the casting of actors of color as characters described in Martin's books as white. That included Nonso Anozie's casting as Xaro Xhoan Daxos in Game of Thrones. She then applauded Ed Skrein, a white actor, for playing Daario Naharis, despite a casting rumor that suggested the show had been looking to hire a person of color. Of Toussaint's casting as Corlys on House of the Dragon, Antonsson wrote that the actor was "miscast," adding, "There are no Black Valyrians and there should not be any in the show," Variety reports.
Fueling the fires, Antonsson seemed combative and, as some even stated, bullying when addressing criticism surrounding her remarks in the past. She has called her dissenters everything from "a miserable, delusional feminazi" to "a rabid, man-hating crazy b----" to a "c---," according to screenshots of her blog and tweets. She was also called out for using the Swedish version of the N-word online and has been accused of transphobia when she seemed to scoff at the phrase "assigned gender" on social media.
Furthermore, Antonsson has publicly stated that all Martin wrote for The Rise of the Dragon "was his name on a contract."
Regarding her past comments on inclusive casting, Antonsson told Variety, "If George had indeed made the Valyrians Black instead of white, as he mused on his 'Not a Blog' in 2013, and this new show proposed to make the Velaryons anything other than Black, we would have had the same issue with it and would have shared the same opinion."
She pointed to the fact that she has had problems with other elements of House of the Dragon that veered from the book, specifically the depiction of House Velaryon's sigil (a seahorse in the books but half horse, half fish on the show). Most recently, Antonsson took issue with a change to Laenor Velaryon's (John Macmillion) arc on the series that diverges from Martin's Fire and Blood.
Antonsson supports the boycotting of authors, she told Variety, but wishes fans were boycotting her and her husband "because of our actual opinions rather than those they project on us."
Read Variety's full story on Antonsson and García here.

VAiz4hustlaz

Proud ADOS and not afraid to step to da mic!
BGOL Investor
What about her?

COLIN WARNING!!

A Storm of Hate: the Problem with Linda Antonsson, Elio García and George R.R. Martin

Yesterday, mainstream fandom finally caught wind of what many of us have known in Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire world for a decade: that Linda Antonsson and Elio García are racist, with the former particularly vicious in her attacks on diversity and fellow fans. Who are these people? Why does it matter? They’re married ASOIAF wiki runners, Westeros.org owners, and occasional George R.R. Martin co-authors/fact-checkers, often referred to in tandem as Elio and Linda or Linda and Elio or Lindaaaaaa and Ran. (Whatever floats your boat.) Most fandom criticism has been aimed at Antonsson because of her vitriol and her habit of antagonizing fans, but García has supported his partner and publicly voiced agreement with her offensive opinions on many occasions. And it matters what they say and do because unfortunately, they have Martin’s ear and it looks like they have a hand in the future of Westeros content.

People may have already read the articles that dropped this week, so I don’t want to rehash all the same points. What I’d like to touch upon is what I know about, since I’m in the position of having actually been present at the beginning of the drama, and personally witnessed a lot of Antonsson’s misbehavior in her Tumblr days. She has claimed “context” or blamed “cherry-picking” as the reason for looking racist in several instances but I can tell you with some citations that this is not true. It’s not cherry-picking when there are a hundred examples of Antonsson cussing people out for being feminist or hoping characters might be cast with non-white actors. That’s not cherry-picking, folks- we’re looking at a whole damn pie these Westeros.org people made themselves.

Dueling articles were published on October 4th (a rather interesting coincidence of timing), addressing the issue at hand:

The first, by Michelle Jaworski for The Daily Dot: ‘It’s important for people to stop forgiving and forgetting her blatant racism’: Fans are resurfacing problematic comments from one of George R.R. Martin’s collaborators

And the second by Ethan Shanfeld for Variety: ‘Game of Thrones’ Fans Boycott George R.R. Martin’s Next Book, Accusing Coauthors of Racism

An assortment of other outlets picked up on the story from that point on, such as Vulture, NYPost, AV Club, Indiewire, EW, The Guardian, and more. Given the way the Variety article is written, it reads like a weak PR piece put out to cover García and Antonsson with claims about context and questioning “Like who can say what’s racism, even??” and I’m sure some people will buy into it. Don’t be one of them. If it were a reasonable thought-out article they would have interviewed people besides Antonsson and García. It’s bad journalism, and obviously was put out deliberately timed to be against The Daily Dot piece which is much more thorough- and damning.

First, a Disclaimer: I spoke with Jaworski while she researched her Daily Dot article, and referred her to Bex (who appears in the article), since Bex is the author of the infamous “Cunt-Stained Ballad” of Tumblr, which preserved many helpful links about Antonsson from a decade ago so that they could even be uncovered by Twitter folk today. While the Ballad is remembered for its savage dress down of Linda and its now-quaint memes, not all realize that the author is the same Bex who used to write for Watchers on the Wall and appears at Con of Thrones. So, I’m not impartial in this. I know Michelle as well from Con of Thrones. And yes, her article is much better researched and does not read like a PR job. But I’d say that even if I didn’t think she was a cool lady. Okay, back to the history.

Linda’s infamously awful tumblr really speaks for itself if you want to browse. I’ll show you a few of the pertinent highlights that she trolled the Game of Thrones tumblr fandom with in early years of HBO’s GoT.

First off, worth noting: Linda’s constant mocking use of quotations on PoC or People of Color when using the terms, while discussing race or diversity. There’s no way to misinterpret that; it’s not an accident of ignorance where one makes a mistake and learns from it. She’s being plain as day about her feelings on the subject. She thinks the term is funny and is choosing to mock people for identifying with it. Her tone there matches her behavior with her pointed complaints about “forced” diversity.

Check out Antonsson and García’s reactions to the casting of Season 5, in their own words, no twisting needed. Watch the video if you can stomach or just read these highlights. They nitpick the casting of English/Singaporean-Chinese actress Jessica Henwick as Nym Sand and speculate on what changes that might require. As usual, they suggest changing the character’s background since a character who appears a certain way can only be from one certain place, according to Linda and Elio. Frankly, Linda sounded much angrier when she thought Nym might wind up being Black, as they originally put out a casting call for a darker skinned actress for the role. From a tumblr blog post:

Of course, the reason for the changes to Nymeria is probably bullshit pandering to people whining about a lack of diversity. Same if it is true that they’re looking for a black actor for Areo. I sure hope they at least change his back story, because no, you don’t have black Norvoshi. They’re another bunch of Valyrian descendants and these moved way up north, too. And if they plan to keep Doran’s wife as Norvoshi…well, they can’t exactly have Areo be black and Mellario something else (and Trystane apparently gets no special casting notes mentioning he should look half black). Well, they can, but it’d require yet more bullshit backstory changes and world-building destruction.
I didn’t see her having a cow in the video or anywhere on her tumblr over the fact that Trystane Martell shouldn’t have this big a presence and has clearly been subject to some major adaptation changes. She can claim now retroactively that she hated it (because most people did hate the Dorne/Trystane storyline), but when these posts were made and the video? The real seething was saved for Areo Hotah (DeObia Oparei). At 27 minutes into the video, Linda has a rant about “artificial” diversity and the casting of Oparei as a Norvoshi warrior, feeling his character name should be changed or background should be changed to a Summer Islander, similar to her critiques of Henwick’s casting, only with more force. Because Hotah just cannot be Hotah from the books, it doesn’t make sense to her, so it cannot be permitted. The Martells’ mother is also Norvoshi, and that simply kills the worldbuilding for Linda.

It’s important to note, the Martells’ mother is not a character on the show and is not really ever present in the books either! Not everyone who lives in the same place is the same race or ethnicity in real life, or even in Westeros for that matter. Hell, even in the books there’s a random Dothraki and a slobbering Qohorik riding around Westeros and a Summer Islander chilling in King’s Landing. People move. Audiences get it. (But don’t tell Linda that, she’ll start talking about purity again and it goes to a weird place.)

While García may seem like the sensible one sometimes, he’s really not much better. His comments regarding the casting of Lucian Msamati as Salladhor Saan ahead of season 2, made on Westeros.org, showed he was cut from the same cloth.

is Salladhor Saan really the role to practice color-blind casting with? The people of the Free City of Lys—where Saan was born—are repeatedly noted to be fair-haired and skinned. This isn’t just a throw away reference, as it may well play an important plot point in the future, given the fact that there are examples of Lyseni who clearly have strong Valyrian lineages. Indeed, one of the most beautiful daughters of House Targaryen—Shiera Seastar—had a Lyseni mother, probably one of high Valyrian lineage. Saan may not be so exalted… but then again, his flagship is actually named Valyrian. And there’s an ancestor of his who was widely known as “The Old Valyrian”. It rather suggests that Saan should look more like… well, like Dany than he does Nonso Anozi’s Xaro, no? Or at least more like Conleth Hill’s Varys, who also hails from Lys. Or Roxanne McKee’s Doreah, also from Lys.
Roxanne McKee (Doreah), for the record, is a brunette. So I’m not sure what he was trying to say there. The fact of where Salla comes from was never a plot point; he’s a colorful pirate friend to Davos Seaworth, and it’s safe to say his Lys heritage was not ever going to be explored on GoT as he’s a tertiary character. Even the most “purist” book fan could see that from the get-go. It was pointless, racist nitpicking.

I’m sure it will shock everyone that in 2011, Linda said, “The two castings where I have a real problem with the actors chosen are the castings of Xaro Xhoan Daxos and Salladhor Saan.” For some reason, she could not see Nonso Anozie as Xaro, one of the “pale, lean” Milk Men of Qarth. Antonsson reasoned that, “His casting for the show not only means that the character is likely to be pretty profoundly changed—and here I am talking about his size; I just can’t see him playing Xaro as Xaro is written and Xaro won’t be the physical contrast to Drogo that he was in the books—but it also means that they need to make setting and story changes. Either they disregard the appearance of the ‘Milk Men’ or they change Xaro’s story so he’s not one of them.” As with other characters…she insists the back story must be changed when a Man of Color is cast. He cannot play the character from her beloved book. The pattern is becoming clear.

García, when reporting at Westeros.org on the casting, stated, “Of course, some fans will note the fact that the Qartheen of the novels are described as being ‘pale as milk’, and Nonso is anything but. It’s a change, but we trust that Nonso was the best actor for the part, and for my part that’s all that really matters when we’re looking out to the exotic East.”

Why the Tumblr at all? Linda made some weird comments about Oona Chaplin’s (Talisa) coloring in a passive-aggressive way, on her own blog (in a post complaining about Salladhor Saan and Xaro). It’s the main reason she started going off on people on Tumblr.

There is thus nothing to indicate that either Jeyne’s grand-mother or Jeyne herself have a skin-colour that sets them apart from the rest of Westeros.
Some fans were bothered by the implication that Chaplin wasn’t pale enough or that white was the automatic default when reading character descriptions. Fans read Antonsson’s blog and were discussing it amongst themselves on Tumblr. They didn’t comment on her blog or email her- they took their thoughts off to their own space. Linda caught wind of it- possibly because she admits to having Google alerts for herself/Westeros.org- read the discussions and grew very upset that a handful of strangers were discussing her publicly posted words somewhere and disagreeing with her. She decided to go create an entirely new blog closer to those individuals to confront them on a regular basis. Her first post was to tell Game of Thrones fans how stupid they are. She goes on to attack a few people specifically. As she herself says, those people “rarely crawl out of” Tumblr- so she sought them out to attack them, they weren’t looking to fight her.

This led to several years of Linda mocking and verbally abusing female and queer fans on Tumblr every time they voiced a different opinion than hers, calling people “it,” using a staggering variety of misogynistic slurs, many of which Bex has already catalogued. She was particularly vicious when it had to do with those fans wanting more People of Color on GoT or voicing critique of how female characters are depicted. This went on from 2011 to 2015.

thanks for gathering this festering pile, Bex!

Oh, she calls people “pedophiles” because they write fanfiction. That’s literally it.

And while Linda and Elio do get annoyed about a variety of book-to-show changes, as book nerds will do, let’s look at the pattern. They never get very worked up when it’s a change like say, Chataya being written out or Strong Belwas, do they? No, they accept those changes with surprising grace and logic.

There’s been a lot of discussion about Linda Antonsson’s use of the Swedish n-word in terms of a chocolate confection with an old-school very out-of-date name. She’d make excuses for it over the years, brush it off as a harmless word, and then take the other tactic of admitting she knows it’s provocative and she’s just messing with people ha ha ha.Well make up your mind, Linda- either it was a misstep and you didn’t mean to go that far, and you can apologize for once. Or you can admit you straight up know it’s 100% racist- own your evil already. Because I remember when you made that post. People told you it was racist even then, and I don’t mean Americans. Sycophants tried to make excuses for you even back in 2014, saying, “Oh well in Sweden they use that word for the chocolate ball,” but Swedes spoke up on Tumblr saying “Oh hell no, we don’t use that word anymore.” The same way people are speaking up now.

And you know what? No one ever did ANYTHING to Linda Antonsson, on Tumblr, Twitter, Westeros.org, or any other site, that made it okay for her to use that language. Her childish claims of “Well, they started it! Um there was context!” are absurd. There is no context that can justify it.

She also had a strange fetish for violent language that persists to this day. Saying things like, “I do love bashing lackwitted girls on the head with a dictionary. Too bad they’re so dumb you can’t even beat some sense into them.” Talking about beating women? Gross.

But to be fair, she does it to men too. Last year, when an r/ASOIAF subreddit moderator clocked her unhappy and racist reaction to the Corlys Velaryon casting, Linda responded in typical style.

In Variety, Antonsson says “she just wishes fans were doing it ‘because of our actual opinions rather than those they project on us.'” Sweetie, we wish we weren’t seeing your actual opinions so damn much. They’ve been absolutely fucking everywhere for the past decade. There’s nothing to “project.” I’ve had Antonsson blocked for years and I still see her screencapped and retweeted constantly because her shit is that outrageous and vile. I know a troll job when I see one.

Antonsson and García aren’t victims, not now and not a decade ago when Antonsson set up a Tumblr specifically to start attacking queer teenagers on a microblogging site.

It’s a minor note, but a funny one in the ongoing drama that Linda Antonsson hadn’t even read the entire A Song of Ice and Fire series until well into the lifespan of Game of Thrones, yet was was lording it over everyone as a professional “expert” and uber book purist for years. Until shortly before Season 3’s “The Rains of Castamere” aired on TV, Antonsson couldn’t bring herself to read the Red Wedding or the rest of A Storm of Swords. That’s approximately one-third of ASOS, I kid you not. Source. It’s for real. And no, she was never ashamed of it. You would have to be capable of feeling shame.

Ancient history, right? You might think, well it’s been years since those early GoT posts were made, people change! But with Antonsson’s ugly posts about the casting of Steve Toussaint as Corlys Velaryon and the presence of Black Valyrians on House of the Dragon, it’s clear there has been no growth.

According to Linda, a Black Velaryon family destroys the realism of her dragon story.

There is also this odd trend of theirs of always suggesting that they’d be perfectly happy if some smaller or less important character with no family such as Criston Cole were Black instead. Just one character, no relatives. It’s interesting how that works.

Antonsson and García also have a role-playing game at Westeros.org (a MUSH) where you’re not allowed to play Black characters. As Antonsson explains it, “why there are no black characters on Blood of Dragons and why it would be very hard to get one approved. Because this has a lot to do with other aspects of our game, such as the fact that we only allow nobles and that we expect a certain about of demonstrated experience to play certain types of roles.” Because you have to play a noble and Black people aren’t allowed to be nobles in their fantasy role-playing game with dragons and shit.

So we have to ask how and why are they getting away with this? I suppose GRRM needed the help. His fictional world has outgrown his “gardening” ability. That would feed their arrogance, being needed by the author. We’ve made a lot of excuses for Martin over the years, with regard to him not addressing the behaviors of people he cites as friends and collaborators. However these latest interviews make it clear he is aware: he just doesn’t seem to care, at least not enough to do anything. So what does he care about, if not racism or how his co-writers and “friends” treat his fans?

Maybe his own reputation? His legacy?

Probably the most problematic thing either Antonsson or García have said that isn’t racist or misogynistic is this confession:

Linda Antonsson publicly stated on Twitter that George R.R. Martin did not write any of “his” newest book, Rise of the Dragon. She implied that her and Elio are solely responsible for the work. GRRM signed the contracts and handed over the reins. Fans are free to buy it or not, but people are not getting a George R. R. Martin book if they do purchase it, according to Antonsson. They’re getting the work of a pair of fans who are more concerned with racial purity than a good story.

It’s hard to believe that’s the legacy Martin wants to leave behind, but it may be all we are left with in the end.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

George R.R. Martin says some Game of Thrones projects 'have been shelved' amid HBO Max changes

"I would not agree that they are dead," the franchise mastermind says. "You can take something off the shelf as easily as you can put it on the shelf."
By Jessica WangDecember 29, 2022 at 08:52 PM EST

Shakeups at House HBO have infiltrated Westeros.
George R.R. Martin said that changes at HBO Max amidst its merger with Discovery+ have impacted the Game of Thrones franchise. He revealed in a blog post shared Wednesday that a couple projects "have been shelved" amidst the restructuring, but — fret not, fans! — the creator of the fantasy juggernaut added that he "would not agree that they are dead."
Martin began his post by noting that he had taken a few days off for the holidays, but now he's back in the salt mine working on "so many bloody things" that his "head may soon explode." That includes season 2 of the blockbuster House of the Dragon and The Winds of Winter novel, the highly anticipated next installment of the Song of Ice and Fire series.

As for the other successor shows, "Some of those are moving faster than others, as is always the case with development," Martin said. "None have been greenlit yet, though we are hoping… maybe soon. A couple have been shelved, but I would not agree that they are dead. You can take something off the shelf as easily as you can put it on the shelf."

"All the changes at HBO Max have impacted us, certainly," Martin said.

Martin didn't elaborate on which projects have been shelved, but a handful of spin-off series have been announced and confirmed by Martin since the flagship series concluded in 2019: the Jon Snow sequel series with star Kit Harington reportedly set to reprise the role; the Tales of Dunk and Egg series set to follow Ser Duncan the Tall (Dunk) and a young Aegon V Targaryen (Egg); The Sea Snake (formerly titled Nine Voyages) series centered on Corlys Velaryon; the 10,000 Ships series set to follow Princess Nymeria, an ancestor of House Martell; and three animated series, one of which is titled The Golden Empire, set in the region of Yi Ti, Martin's version of Imperial China.

HBO Max and Discovery+'s merger — announced earlier this year during an earnings call following the contentious shelving of Batgirl — will launch in the U.S. in the summer of 2023 with Latin America, Europe, and other markets to follow. A number of projects have been canceled or removed from the HBO Max library and will move to third-party platform FAST amidst the restructuring (some despite earlier renewals), including Minx, Gordita Chronicles, Love Life, and Legendary.

Representatives for Martin and HBO/HBO Max did not immediately respond to EW's request for comment.

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
IMO GRRM knew by then that he had backed himself in a writing corner he could not get out of.
thats irrelevant - cause S3 /4 was when D&D fully embarked on dropping story lines and characters after destroying impact / recurring characters during s2

GRRM laziness doesn't cover the greed of D&D
everyone HBO GRRM etc all gave them the greenlight to fully adapt the books - they are the ones that insisted to limit it so they can wrap in 7 seasons (remember s7 & 8 are really a single split season as a compromise with HBO - who kept begging for 10 seasons)

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Game of Thrones star Ciarán Hinds was 'put off' by the amount of sex on the show

"It was taking away from the actual political storytelling," the actor says.
By Jessica WangMarch 21, 2023 at 12:03 PM EDT

The leader of the free folk thinks Game of Thrones was a bit too free with its sex scenes.

Ciarán Hinds, who appeared as King-Beyond-the-Wall Mance Rayder between seasons 3 and 5 of the HBO hit, said he didn't care for the amount of intimate scenes on the risqué drama. "I was rather put off by the amount of sexuality that was going on in it, because it was taking away from the actual political storytelling," Hinds told The Independent. "But that's business, I guess, from their perspective."

The Academy Award nominee also called the increase in intimacy coordinators on set "strange," citing a conversation he had with his actress daughter, Aoife Hinds, who worked closely with such coordinators while portraying the college girlfriend of Paul Mescal's Connell on romance series Normal People. "I was asking her [about intimacy coordinators] because it seems to me strange," the actor said.

"I didn't come from that generation. Anything we had to create together, in scenes of a sexual nature, we just talked about it," Hinds added. "It's about how we tell the story together, so I didn't understand why intimacy coordinators were suddenly everywhere. As actors, you let your own spirits inform what you're doing. Aoife said, 'No, it was fantastic because your own emotional context was put on hold, and it became not quite balletic, but not your libido.'"

Hind's former GoT costar Sean Bean made headlines last year when he said intimacy coordinators "spoil the spontaneity" of sex scenes, prompting pushback from actresses like Emma Thompson and Rachel Zegler, who argued that coordinators create a safe space. "Spontaneity in intimate scenes can be unsafe," Zegler said. "Wake up."

Amazon Prime Video announced this week that Hinds has signed on for season 2 of The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power in an undisclosed role, joining fellow GoT star Robert Aramayo, who played a young Ned Stark on the series. Fortunately for Hinds, the Rings of Power creators have said that there will be no Westeros-level sex scenes in Middle-earth.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Game of Thrones star Ciarán Hinds was 'put off' by the amount of sex on the show

"It was taking away from the actual political storytelling," the actor says.
By Jessica WangMarch 21, 2023 at 12:03 PM EDT

The leader of the free folk thinks Game of Thrones was a bit too free with its sex scenes.

Ciarán Hinds, who appeared as King-Beyond-the-Wall Mance Rayder between seasons 3 and 5 of the HBO hit, said he didn't care for the amount of intimate scenes on the risqué drama. "I was rather put off by the amount of sexuality that was going on in it, because it was taking away from the actual political storytelling," Hinds told The Independent. "But that's business, I guess, from their perspective."

The Academy Award nominee also called the increase in intimacy coordinators on set "strange," citing a conversation he had with his actress daughter, Aoife Hinds, who worked closely with such coordinators while portraying the college girlfriend of Paul Mescal's Connell on romance series Normal People. "I was asking her [about intimacy coordinators] because it seems to me strange," the actor said.

"I didn't come from that generation. Anything we had to create together, in scenes of a sexual nature, we just talked about it," Hinds added. "It's about how we tell the story together, so I didn't understand why intimacy coordinators were suddenly everywhere. As actors, you let your own spirits inform what you're doing. Aoife said, 'No, it was fantastic because your own emotional context was put on hold, and it became not quite balletic, but not your libido.'"

Hind's former GoT costar Sean Bean made headlines last year when he said intimacy coordinators "spoil the spontaneity" of sex scenes, prompting pushback from actresses like Emma Thompson and Rachel Zegler, who argued that coordinators create a safe space. "Spontaneity in intimate scenes can be unsafe," Zegler said. "Wake up."

Amazon Prime Video announced this week that Hinds has signed on for season 2 of The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power in an undisclosed role, joining fellow GoT star Robert Aramayo, who played a young Ned Stark on the series. Fortunately for Hinds, the Rings of Power creators have said that there will be no Westeros-level sex scenes in Middle-earth.

@largebillsonlyplease

Well damn cuz. You always know what you talking about.