Floyd Mayweather comes off vacation to face Vicious Victor Ortiz for $40 mill

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Yeah i realize EMOTIcons as you so put it are used for such..but do YOU realize that people like Alaskanredman and upgrade Dave use them more than just about ANY poster in this thread?

You like to deflect to something about me. Why? Can you just post something of substance about boxing?

As much as I've talked shit or posted emoticons... I've always brought it back to boxing. Look at my post and you can see that consistent trait.

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance: and I'll style on you on my way out...

Edit: Are you going to answer my question about the better WW choice than Ortiz?

merce77

Star
Registered
Yeah i realize EMOTIcons as you so put it are used for such..but do YOU realize that people like Alaskanredman and upgrade Dave use them more than just about ANY poster in this thread?

Wow so you quoted my entire post and chose to only speak about emoticons?

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor
In reality, it doesn't matter who requests it or even if a belt is in play as in Hopkins' fights with Pavlik and Wright. Whether Hopkins requested a catchweight or not, he did benefit because he got to legitimately fight a smaller man and unify the middleweight titles. To answer your question, Hopkins won the WBO title in catchweight bout with DLH. After that, he continued to fight catchweight bouts against the aforementioned Wright and Pavlik.

You mention Martinez not wanting to cede to a catchweight fight against Pac but did you know that Martinez's last fight with Paul Williams was at a catchweight? I'm just saying, you said you weren't biased so let's look at the whole picture and what everybody is doing.

fam you comparing Hopkins who had non title catch weight fights in '07 and '08 to Pac who is asking for a Catch weight fight almost every bout now....?

next when he fought Winky....Winky is the naturally smaller man at that time why would B-Hop want or demand a catch weight....?

I call everything down the middle fam...I get on May for his B/S ...the fact is the Boxing community see's it and calls it out....Teddy Atlas has been very vocal about this B/S....he took a 147 title and none of the fighters were at 47 or over....:smh:

he can make 140 easy for JMM explain to me why he wants JMM to fight at 144???

ADVANTAGE

and they compare him to Hank.....:lol:

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
fam you comparing Hopkins who had non title catch weight fights in '07 and '08 to Pac who is asking for a Catch weight fight almost every bout now....?

next when he fought Winky....Winky is the naturally smaller man at that time why would B-Hop want or demand a catch weight....?

I call everything down the middle fam...I get on May for his B/S ...the fact is the Boxing community see's it and calls it out....Teddy Atlas has been very vocal about this B/S....he took a 147 title and none of the fighters were at 47 or over....:smh:

he can make 140 easy for JMM explain to me why he wants JMM to fight at 144???

ADVANTAGE

and they compare him to Hank.....:lol:

Hopkins wanted Wright to come in heavy as opposed to going down to face Wright at Wright's best weight. Wright looked fat, sluggish and never fought at that weight again. I'd say Hopkins had the advantage from the catchweight in that fight. Are you thinking that catchweight fights can only potentially be negative for the guy coming down and not the guy going up?

Teddy Atlas himself is biased. Also, catchweight fights have been going on for almost a hundred years and no one seemed to give a fuck until the Pacquiao fights. I really don't get what all the whining is regarding this.

Regarding JMM, Pac is a welterweight now just like Mayweather is. If a catchweight fight, that Mayweather didn't honor anyway, was good for PBF then what's the big deal with Pac doing it? Shit, Mayweather could probably make 140 too if he wanted to. People like Greg Leon used to say the same shit about Zab Judah and swear this guy couldn't make 140 when it was obvious he could. There was a time when Mayweather and Judah would weigh in at 146 for a welterweight fight and come in at 148 the most on the day of the fight. Shit, one time Mayweather even came in a pound less on the day of the fight!

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor
Hopkins wanted Wright to come in heavy as opposed to going down to face Wright at Wright's best weight. Wright looked fat, sluggish and never fought at that weight again. I'd say Hopkins had the advantage from the catchweight in that fight. Are you thinking that catchweight fights can only potentially be negative for the guy coming down and not the guy going up?

Teddy Atlas himself is biased. Also, catchweight fights have been going on for almost a hundred years and no one seemed to give a fuck until the Pacquiao fights. I really don't get what all the whining is regarding this.

Regarding JMM, Pac is a welterweight now just like Mayweather is. If a catchweight fight, that Mayweather didn't honor anyway, was good for PBF then what's the big deal with Pac doing it? Shit, Mayweather could probably make 140 too if he wanted to. People like Greg Leon used to say the same shit about Zab Judah and swear this guy couldn't make 140 when it was obvious he could. There was a time when Mayweather and Judah would weigh in at 146 for a welterweight fight and come in at 148 the most on the day of the fight. Shit, one time Mayweather even came in a pound less on the day of the fight!

Atlas is bias cuz he tells the truth?...Atlas has more knowledge on Boxing than most boxing fans dream....if he said Pac was the greatest you wouldn't hear shit....

May now is a natural 154 IMO right now he can make 147....140 is pushing it...he didn't want to lose 2 lbs for JMM you think he is making 140 comfortably?

while PAC can make 140...he was complaining about 147 and the regimen he has to go through just to make 147.....come on Zef...

merce77

Star
Registered
Teddy Atlas is right, most of those media guys at ESPN are biased in favor of Pacman, shit almost the whole media. Winky looked just as sluggish and shitty in his next fight back at 157. And Roach just said a couple weeks ago that Pac has to eat meals just to make 144 pounds, that's not being a full blown welterweight.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Teddy Atlas is right, most of those media guys at ESPN are biased in favor of Pacman, shit almost the whole media. Winky looked just as sluggish and shitty in his next fight back at 157. And Roach just said a couple weeks ago that Pac has to eat meals just to make 144 pounds, that's not being a full blown welterweight.

So there should be no controversy as neither Pac nor JMM are full blown welterweights anyway.

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Atlas is bias cuz he tells the truth?...Atlas has more knowledge on Boxing than most boxing fans dream....if he said Pac was the greatest you wouldn't hear shit....

May now is a natural 154 IMO right now he can make 147....140 is pushing it...he didn't want to lose 2 lbs for JMM you think he is making 140 comfortably?

while PAC can make 140...he was complaining about 147 and the regimen he has to go through just to make 147.....come on Zef...

Atlas began to destroy his credibility when he fell for the mysterious PED email thing and then wouldn't back off it along with Tim Smith. Ever since then, he just makes it too obvious that he has a negative stance when it comes to Pacquiao.'

May didn't want to lose 2lbs for JMM because May does what the fuck he wants to do. I'm sure even he would tell you he could have lost those 2pounds if he wanted to. Also, even if Pac and JMM were to fight at 140, it'd still be a catchweight because none of those guys are junior welters. Also, JMM wants Pac's belt too so the fight has to be in the welterweight vecinity. I don't see why this is such a problem. Or should we expect Pac to go back to 135lbs and fight for JMM's title. Is that supposed to be more reasonable?

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor
Ooh, I got some good shit for you right here! Henry Armstrong won his lightweight (135lb) title at a catchweight where he weighed 139lbs! The champion, Lew Jenkins, weighed the normal 135lbs. Now what?! Now what, dammit!!?? http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=3238297

son :smh:...I never said Catchweights are irrelevant in Boxing...or that most fighters don't have catchweight fights...the older a fighter gets harder to make weight you see more catchweights....

did I say Hank or any other great never had a catch weight fight?

I SAID PAC IS FIGHTING MOST OF HIS FIGHTS AT CATCHWEIGHT STIPULATIONS...what don't you understand...

and Henry was fighting at an age with 8 or fewer weight classes Pac can't even measure up to that no junior or super shit...and he dominated almost 4 divisions...

you going to post every catchweight fight in the history of boxing to prove they are catch weight fights?

nobody including me is denying this...all we saying is this guy is always seeking a advantage over his opponents using catchweights....

no hate famo....

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor

Preach.....:smh:

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
Wait your saying that PBF has no realistic advantages over Pacman, you just lost all credibility with this statement, because most every boxer or trainer they ask says that Floyd would beat Manny - this is ignored by the media for some reason and all we hear is that Floyd is scared. Floyd is a better boxer, better defensively, bigger, stronger - anyway Floyd is just a better all-around fighter and that's not opinion, that's
s fact to anyone that has any knowledge of boxing, you, Zef and Will Right can cape up for Manny all you want but you can't bring any legitimate arguments for Manny being a BETTER fighter than Floyd that don't sound ridiculous. Anyway this is moot, if anyone is deserving of the p4p right now it's Sergio who's been fighting real fighters and beating the mortal shit out of them, not retreads and guys that Floyd already beat a couple years ago. I've nothing more to say on this matter.

I dont even get why an opinion a person has is always followed by you have no credibility. I don't know how good pbf is. Not because he is so good. But because he rarely puts himself in a position to be tested. It is difficult to rate a guy that stayed awayfrom top talent or put themself in the underdog role.

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor
I dont even get why an opinion a person has is always followed by you have no credibility. I don't know how good pbf is. Not because he is so good. But because he rarely puts himself in a position to be tested. It is difficult to rate a guy that stayed awayfrom top talent or put themself in the underdog role.

valid points....

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
son :smh:...I never said Catchweights are irrelevant in Boxing...or that most fighters don't have catchweight fights...the older a fighter gets harder to make weight you see more catchweights....

did I say Hank or any other great never had a catch weight fight?

I SAID PAC IS FIGHTING MOST OF HIS FIGHTS AT CATCHWEIGHT STIPULATIONS...what don't you understand...

and Henry was fighting at an age with 8 or fewer weight classes Pac can't even measure up to that no junior or super shit...and he dominated almost 4 divisions...

you going to post every catchweight fight in the history of boxing to prove they are catch weight fights?

nobody including me is denying this...all we saying is this guy is always seeking a advantage over his opponents using catchweights....

no hate famo....

And my point is what is the point of even mentioning this stuff about Pac having catchweight bouts as if this is something negative or even significant? That's why I posted the link to show how many great fighters going back over 100 years have engaged in this apparently vile practice of having catchweight fights. Even the great ever so mentioned Henry Armstrong that won his lightweight title weighing 139lbs instead of the limit of 135lbs! Imagine the shitstorm if Pacquiao were to win the Junior Welterweight title weighing 144lbs or something like that. At least Pac remains within the weight class for the few catchweights he participates in.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
Come on son... They need each other.

Who is Manny fighting after Marquez... let me guess, Ortiz? Berto? Cotto II? There aren't many guys left with names, who are non-threats and are bigger fighters?

For the past two years people have been saying Floyd doesn't want to fight anymore and for the past 5 years I've been hearing that Floyd doesn't want any real challenges. Floyd is afraid of Manny. Floyd doesn't care about boxing or the fans... if all of this is true... why does he need Manny? He has the out that he wants according to many of you guys. He can argue that Manny was scared of the test and just fight other guys or retire.

I dont think Manny needs him. We already havehim in classic match ups against other hof'ers. PBF needs fights in his career like manny has. I honestly cant think of 3 fights that. Pbf had that are better than some of manny's fights that most people remember.

I think the only fight out there for manny after jmm is pbf. But that is not happening. He is to small for sergio. So maybe we will see what cotto does next and see if cotto can redeem himself against manny.

I would be happy if manny or pbf retires after their next fight. Especially if theycan come together. Ok. Done with this topic. Pbf and manny convo is the worst shit.

P03t

Rising Star
OG Investor
And my point is what is the point of even mentioning this stuff about Pac having catchweight bouts as if this is something negative or even significant? That's why I posted the link to show how many great fighters going back over 100 years have engaged in this apparently vile practice of having catchweight fights. Even the great ever so mentioned Henry Armstrong that won his lightweight title weighing 139lbs instead of the limit of 135lbs! Imagine the shitstorm if Pacquiao were to win the Junior Welterweight title weighing 144lbs or something like that. At least Pac remains within the weight class for the few catchweights he participates in.

Henry was over the limit....Pac won 147 strap and (Cotto was also under 147 lost his belt) was under 147 how does that make sense...?

Zef you got it....:lol:

Zeferino

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Henry was over the limit....Pac won 147 strap and (Cotto was also under 147 lost his belt) was under 147 how does that make sense...?

Zef you got it....:lol:

Henry Armstrong weighed in as a junior welterweight and won the lightweight title in his catchweight fight. Pacquiao weighed in as a welterweight as did Miguel Cotto and Pacquiao won the welterweight title. Which catchweight bout was more disgraceful? Do you think that by weighing in under the division limit automatically put Pac and Cotto in some weight class other than welter? Maybe that's where you're getting confused. I'm not trying to be sarcastic or crass, by the way.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
I dont think Manny needs him. We already havehim in classic match ups against other hof'ers. PBF needs fights in his career like manny has. I honestly cant think of 3 fights that. Pbf had that are better than some of manny's fights that most people remember.

I think the only fight out there for manny after jmm is pbf. But that is not happening. He is to small for sergio. So maybe we will see what cotto does next and see if cotto can redeem himself against manny.

I would be happy if manny or pbf retires after their next fight. Especially if theycan come together. Ok. Done with this topic. Pbf and manny convo is the worst shit.

Hold up my friend... I have one question left.

The only reason Floyd would need this fight is if he actually cares about his legacy, but how could this be if he has done everything in his power to avoid a true challenge and he is now avoiding Pacman as he has been describe by you and others in his past?

Please enlighten me.

Jordan Diddy Buk

Support BGOL
Registered
Hold up my friend... I have one question left.

The only reason Floyd would need this fight is if he actually cares about his legacy, but how could this be if he has done everything in his power to avoid a true challenge and he is now avoiding Pacman as he has been describe by you and others in his past?

Please enlighten me.

Well, I don't think he does care about his legacy. But that change that that is a reason he needs to make the fight. As for enlightening you. I can't. I can only give you my opinion.

tp2001

Star
Registered
I don't recall anyone thinking Margarito or Clottey having a shot but Alaskan has copped to wishing on a star with Clottey so it must have happened.

Dude,what were you thinking?:D

TJ
Hatton was, imo, Pacquiao's best win since he beat Ricky at his natural weight but he was the perfect guy to fight Manny, style wise.
Margarito was washed up and hasn't looked good since Mosley destroyed him. He didn't do anything to earn his big check except be Mexican and work for Top Rank.
And was there any excuse to take the Mosley fight? Floyd gets props for fighting Shane because people were still saying he was scared of Mosley but for Manny to fight him after that performance (and the Mora fight)was inexcusable.
Those are and always have been my positions on those fights.

^^^ this right here :yes::yes::yes:

Come on now, there is a glaring difference with Pac's fights since Ricky Hatton...why try to fight at a catchweight with Cotto and Margarito? You would get more credit if you beat them at their natural weight...Second, Clottey had no shot at beating Pac and Top Rank would not let that happen...I thought Clottey would have beaten Cotto but he somehow blew that...And the Mosley bout was wrong on so many angles :smh:

buk said:
I dont think Manny needs him. We already have him in classic match ups against other hof'ers. PBF needs fights in his career like manny has. I honestly cant think of 3 fights that Pbf had that are better than some of manny's fights that most people remember.

buk said:
But because he rarely puts himself in a position to be tested. It is difficult to rate a guy that stayed away from top talent or put themself in the underdog role.

...what?

Hold on, man...why does Floyd need fights in his career like Manny has? I really don't get that question you just asked...It's like you are reaching for reasons to downplay what Floyd has done in his career. :smh:

Manny is a lot different than Floyd...the reason why Manny had those "good fights" is because the opponents were good enough to exploit Pac's weaknesses and either win or have great success against him. Marquez and Morales had the blueprint to do this, and IMO still do...nothing has changed over the course of 5 to 6 years with Pac's abilities that are very noticeable...

Floyd on the other hand has been so good that there has not been much of an occasion when he has been challenged. Other than the first fight against Castillo, no one has placed danger to his undefeated record...not Corrales, Hatton, Judah, Mosley, or De La Hoya (and Oscar was favored for some reason). What does he have to do, fight Paul Williams at middleweight? Maravilla at 154? Andre Ward at 168?

I get it...people want to see him lose...I wonder where these people were before he broke off with Bob Arum though...

will_right

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Let Floyd fight Sergio at a Catch weight :rolleyes: say around 154:yes: If this fight was ever made i wonder who'd be the favorate to you guys:idea:

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Well, I don't think he does care about his legacy. But that change that that is a reason he needs to make the fight. As for enlightening you. I can't. I can only give you my opinion.

I'm not sure what you were trying to say, but I'm sure it made sense to you.

Alaskanredman

Star
Registered
Let Floyd fight Sergio at a Catch weight :rolleyes: say around 154:yes: If this fight was ever made i wonder who'd be the favorate to you guys:idea:

Martinez cause Floyd didn't have any pop in the DLH fight. Even the most skilled fighters can only do so much when they can't hurt their opponent. I think Manny and Floyd are too small to go up to that weight class for Martinez and I know I'm not the guy that puts a great amount of stock into weight, but for the guys who do, how many weight classes are we suppose expect motherfuckers to jump in their careers? If it were to happen I would give either fighter all the props in the world and if they beat him there would be no question that they are the best.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
Wow so you quoted my entire post and chose to only speak about emoticons?

And drug me into it. I've been on my best behavior in this thread.:angry:

May didn't want to lose 2lbs for JMM because May does what the fuck he wants to do. I'm sure even he would tell you he could have lost those 2pounds if he wanted to. Also, even if Pac and JMM were to fight at 140, it'd still be a catchweight because none of those guys are junior welters. Also, JMM wants Pac's belt too so the fight has to be in the welterweight vecinity. I don't see why this is such a problem. Or should we expect Pac to go back to 135lbs and fight for JMM's title. Is that supposed to be more reasonable?

No and no one is making that argument. It wouldn't be a catchweight for Manny Pacquiao to fight Juan Manuel Marquez at 140, it would be them fighting at the jr welterweight limit. Now maybe it's just my personal definition but I've always seen the way Pacquiao/Roach use catchweights as some weight limit created by them like 145 for Cotto or 150 for Margarito for Pac's advantage.
Oh yeah, I agree completely with Zef on how Pacquiao will be looked back on. Some diehard, hardcore types will look back with skepticism but for the most part, the general idea will be he was beating up top fighters.

valid points....

Not really, P. If someone doesn't know how good Floyd Mayweather is by now, they don't want to know.

Sergio for the same reasons Alaskan offered. While Floyd seems to have deceptive power, after fighting legit middleweights, Sergio won't be disturbed by Mayweather's power at 154.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
Can we agree, again, that Floyd Mayweather Jr is the biggest name in boxing? Other fights come and go and we spend less than a page on them, just the announcement of a Mayweather fight has gotten us to more than 3 pages.

merce77

Star
Registered
Mayweather Picks Ortiz: Showing Us More Than Manny?

By Cliff Rold

Lineal World Welterweight Champion Floyd Mayweather (41-0, 25 KO) still can’t count.

How else to take a statement released in the wake of his announced September return against WBC Welterweight titlist Victor Ortiz (29-2-2, 22 KO)? The statement read that Mayweather commended Ortiz “for accepting the fight, but on September 17, Ortiz is just going to be another casualty, the 42nd one who tried and failed. Trust me, I will be ready."

Mayweather and his team have made similar statements in the past. Indeed, Mayweather has 41 wins and, should he win in September, Ortiz will be the 42nd victory. However, in those initial 41, he picked up two wins over Jose Luis Castillo. Considering how much trouble Castillo gave him, it makes sense he’d count him twice but he is still only one man.

And, yeah…

…that’s about it.

That’s all there is to criticize in regards to one Floyd Mayweather today.

After a year off and change from the ring, and rumors about all sorts of laughable potential foes from Matthew Hatton to Paul Spadafora swirling throughout, Mayweather’s return comes against the sort of fighter most assumed the 34-year old Floyd wouldn’t face.

Younger.

Bigger.

Southpaw.

Heavier handed, with explosiveness.

Mayweather will be favored. Mayweather will probably win. That’s not a negative. He’s Floyd. That’s what he does. It’s what he’s expected to do against almost anyone.

What matters here is the choice.

Mayweather has reached a stage in his career few ever do. He can pick his spots, just like Ray Leonard and Oscar De La Hoya before him, just like contemporary and rival Manny Pacquiao can in parallel. With that stage comes a certain responsibility. Increased activity is requested. Real fights are required.

Ray Leonard proved the inactivity can be overcome. De La Hoya, as he aged, sort of did the same. Mayweather didn’t advance to mega-stardom until a much later stage of his career than those men so he never quite had the mid-20s run they did. That he takes inordinate breaks between fights since besting Oscar De La Hoya and Ricky Hatton in 2007 (including a phony retirement) is unfortunate.

However, in his last two fights, he’s met the burden of the real fights.

Mayweather competes at Welterweight. The best fight at Welterweight for Mayweather is Manny Pacquiao. That it happens to be the biggest fight in the solar system is worth noting.

That fight has, of course, not yet materialized. Some of the blame goes to Mayweather. Some goes to Pacquiao, no matter how much that has been lost in the ether (or should we all forget that the negotiations in the first part of 2010 reportedly fell apart over a reasonable 14-day Olympic style drug testing cutoff that, allegedly, Mayweather agreed to and Team Pacquiao walked away from).

In the absence of Pacquiao and vice versa, the most that can be asked of either man is to fight the perceived next best available man at 147 lbs. For years, Mayweather failed tests like this. His run from 2003-05, including a ridiculous mismatch against Henry Bruseles, got him labeled as more manager than manimal. Fighting Zab Judah and Carlos Baldomir in the wrong order in 2006 didn’t help.

Times change. For his second fight in a row, Floyd Mayweather is facing who he should be in the absence of the fight we can’t have right now. It can be argued that Pacquiao has yet to meet that obligation since making Welterweight his permanent home.

Following his victory over Ricky Hatton for the lineal Jr. Welterweight crown in 2009, Pacquiao looked for a crown in the Welterweight class. Hot off of his defeat of Antonio Margarito in January of the year, “Sugar” Shane Mosley was seen by almost all as the top dog at 147 lbs.

Miguel Cotto, who had narrowly defeated Mosley in 2007, was not too far behind Mosley then in perception, but was showing some wear from a vicious stoppage loss to Margarito in 2008 and a debatable, bloody decision win over Joshua Clottey. Mosley pleaded his case, seemingly ready to acquiesce to multiple quoted catchweight demands suggested by Pacquiao trainer Freddie Roach. There was never a serious impression Mosley had a chance.

Partly due to promotional differences with Mosley, and a shared promoter with the alternative, Cotto got the call.

Around the same time Pacquiao-Cotto was coming to fruition, so too was Mayweaather’s ring return against reigning Lightweight Champion Juan Manuel Marquez. Mayweather won in a rout, blowing off an agreed upon catchweight and reigniting the ire he instills in many a fight fan. A couple months later, Pacquiao drubbed Cotto and the path seemed cleared.

The negotiations of late 2010 and early 2011 muddied the hell out of the path. Lawsuits were filed. Allegations of cheating were made and, from Mayweather, remain. Pacquiao signed to fight Clottey, a decent pick. Mosley, who was scheduled to fight Andre Berto in early 2011, became available when the ethnic Haitian Berto withdrew in the wake of the tragic Haitian earthquake.

And Mayweather chose Mosley straight away. Outside of a few anxious moments in round two, Mayweather beat Mosley and snared the right to reclaim the lineal throne he had preciously vacated.

Another long layoff ensued, this time with Mayweather largely painted as the culprit in the failure of a Pacquiao fight to take place. In the vacuum, did Pacquiao sign to fight young, undefeated tigers like Andre Berto or Jr. Welterweight Timothy Bradley?

Nope.

He emulated his rival, going Money Pacquiao for fights with a hopeless Antonio Margarito and then a Mosley who, after the bad beating from Mayweather, looked worse drawing against Sergio Mora later in 2010. Margarito at least made for an entertaining night, and the event wasn’t technically a Welterweight fight at all. Manny weighed in there. Margarito had to meet a catchweight for what was officially a Jr. Middleweight bout (complete with hollow alphabet belt neither had any business fighting for in a division neither had any credentials in).

The Mosley fight was a mediocrity, Mosley unable to pull the trigger and Manny too merciful, agreeing to all Mosley’s handshake’s and glove touches where Mayweather had responded to the same with jarring, impolite shots to the mush a year before.

Now Pacquiao has signed for a third fight with a by then 38-year old Marquez who will have been laid off a year. Marquez has never won a fight at Welterweight, even if he was a great rival to Pacquiao in a previous draw and narrow loss in 2004 and 2008 at 126 and 130 lbs. respectively.

Pacquiao’s promoter, Bob Arum, couches these opponent choices in language about what is promotable. Never mind that a great draw can make anyone promotable. De La Hoya once moved units with a ghostly Yori Boy Campas.

Pacquiao cashed in with the anonymous Clottey, selling mad seats at Cowboys Stadium to boot.

Mayweather’s banking he can make Ortiz promotable.

Ortiz’s last trip to the ring helps. Labeled a quitter after a war with Marcos Maidana in 2009, Ortiz slowly rebuilt and then gambled against the undefeated Berto in April of this year. His professional back to the wall, Ortiz and Berto traded knockdowns in a classic. Ortiz dug deep for the win, pushing past old demons and completing his rehabilitation. With the win, he emerged as a new, immediate factor at 147 lbs.

The Welterweight ratings, from ESPN to Ring to right here at this site all read the same way. Based on his win over Berto, Ortiz is the next best man to be found at Welterweight. Just as was case when Mosley became available in 2010, it is Mayweather who has stepped up to face the man in that position.

It cannot be lost.

Manny Pacquiao will have spent his 2011 campaign in the ring with a pair of men pushing forty that, combined, probably lost 23 of 24 rounds to Mayweather.

Mayweather just chose to stare across the ring at a 24-year old stud flush with the confidence of the biggest win of his life.

And, in the fall, only one of the world’s two best Welterweights will be fighting another Welterweight.

Guess who?

http://www.boxingscene.com/mayweather-picks-ortiz-showing-us-more-manny--40089

merce77

Star
Registered
I'm basically talking about the boxing media not just bgol. But here we are with a 5 page thread about this topic so... hav we realy learned anything? :rolleyes:

Actually the topic shifted, it was originally about Floyd facing Ortiz.

TJervey

Support BGOL
Registered
Actually the topic shifted, it was originally about Floyd facing Ortiz.

Your right. And on that note it is quite laughable how a lot of you are lauding floyd for his selection of opponent siting Ortiz' strengths as a reason when in reality he is tailor made for floyd to look amazing against because his biggest strengths play right into floyds!?! Sure he is a young strong heavy handed fighter but he comes straight forward offers absolutely no lateral movement or angles and punches slow as hell! Again tailor made for floyd and another example of smoke and mirors matchmaking. Plus he has no real experience on this big of a stage and will most likely freeze up! Its funny how years ago the biggest reason floyd wouldn't fight cotto was because he was too young and inexperienced but now his thirsty as has no problem snatching fruit directly off of the tree...

merce77

Star
Registered
Your right. And on that note it is quite laughable how a lot of you are lauding floyd for his selection of opponent siting Ortiz' strengths as a reason when in reality he is tailor made for floyd to look amazing against because his biggest strengths play right into floyds!?! Sure he is a young strong heavy handed fighter but he comes straight forward offers absolutely no lateral movement or angles and punches slow as hell! Again tailor made for floyd and another example of smoke and mirors matchmaking. Plus he has no real experience on this big of a stage and will most likely freeze up! Its funny how years ago the biggest reason floyd wouldn't fight cotto was because he was too young and inexperienced but now his thirsty as has no problem snatching fruit directly off of the tree...

You're buggin out, dude has very good handspeed. As for all the other shit your talking read the article above, specifically thee part highlighted in blue.

Wow, yeah you're right, his hands look as slow as Antonio Margarito, let's ask Manny:hmm:

merce77

Star
Registered
Victor Ortiz Not That Impressed with Floyd Mayweather’s Fighting Style

http://larrybrownsports.com/boxing/...d-with-floyd-mayweathers-fighting-style/72140

On Tuesday it was officially announced that Floyd Mayweather Jr. would return to the ring for the first time since beating Shane Mosley 13 months ago. Mayweather’s fight on September 17th will be against Victor Ortiz, which is what LBS reported exactly one month ago. Mayweather was in attendance ringside for Ortiz’s impressive win over Andre Berto, so by taking the fight it’s assumed Mayweather feels comfortable he can beat Victor. As for Victor, count him as unimpressed by Mayweather.

“Ever since I was a kid, I’ve said I’ll be the first to defeat Mayweather,” Ortiz said in his first public comments since the fight was announced. “Mayweather’s quick, he’s a great fighter, but I’ve never been that impressed with his style.”

If he’s not that impressed with his style, he should be impressed by Floyd’s perfect 41-0 record. Even though I believe Mayweather is the best fighter in the world when he’s dedicating himself to his craft, I think this is a dangerous fight for him. First off, it’s pretty evident Ortiz won’t be laying down in this fight — he wants to win it badly. Secondly, Ortiz is a southpaw which always makes things somewhat confusing for fighters with an orthodox stance. Floyd hasn’t faced a southpaw since beating Zab Judah and Sharmba Mitchell in back-to-back fights in 2006 and 2005, so that can get tricky.

Most importantly, if Ortiz fights as possessed as he looked against Berto, it will give Mayweather problems. Ortiz was knocked down twice by Berto and he’s lost two fights in his short career, so it’s not like he’s invincible, but he has that quirky personality of being crazy enough in the ring to look scary. I think Mayweather will win the fight, but it’s a dangerous one, and certainly more dangerous than the past three opponents Manny Pacquiao has fought.

Maybe this nicca is really dumb enough to walk in to the ring and actually not be impressed by Floyd and give him a good fight.:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited: