Derek Jeter !! He's Almost There!!!..............

jdc12

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
To the guy who says Ichiro is not a better offensive player? Is he forgetting that dude just got 2,000 hits and he came over from Japan when he was 27. I have a feeling Ichiro may retire with more hits in the MLB (Ichiro has more hits than Jeter if you count the 1200 he has in Japan).

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player/mlb/Y_Sports_MLB/15421391;_ylt=AkMjjDwbrhZk4GNdw4.y7i05nYcB

If it means anything I am almost sure that if ARod retires with the Yankees - he will have more hits than Jeter.
Hits aren't the end all be all for making someone a better offensive player. Ichiro can really do only a few things offensively, hit singles and steal bases. Jeter can do those plus hit for power and he walks more.
You guys are missing ghe point. The point is that Jeter has done all this stuff as a NY Yankee. Sure there are more prolific hitters. Way better. That's not the point. No YANKEES are more prolific (at hitting) than Jeter. And on a team with over 20 championships (the Yankee fans can give you the exact number, lol), that IS something to celebrate for all baseball fans.

As good as those listed players are, if any of those cats (including Ichiro) had to play their ENTIRE career under the pressure and spotlight of Steinbrenner, it's highly doubtful they'd even be in the discussion. Might've cracked under the pressure a long time ago. Hell AROD might not even be in the league anymore. Remember Cleon Jones?
No Yankee is more prolific at collecting hits than Jeter. Big difference between collecting hits and being a prolific hitter. Jeter isn't even one of the 5 purest hitters to ever spend their entire career with the Yankees. He may not even be in the top 10 but I'd have to do some research before I make that claim. Also Steinbrenner hasn't been the same since the early 90's. The Yankees have gone through 3 managers in the last 15 years. It used to take 2 seasons for Steinbrenner to go through that many managers.

flounder

Potential Star
Registered
......he needs three to tie, and 4-hits to set new record! Including today's twin-bill with Toronto, the Yankees will play in front of their home crowd for the next 16-days, before beginning their road-trip westward.

The following article was taken from the New York Post..09/07/09, written by George A. King III (Yankee beat writer).

"Jeter Closes In ON Gehrig's Record"

Toronto - Derek Jeter probably won't play long enough to eclipse Pete Roses's all-time hit record of 4,256, but is becoming the third player ever to reach 4,000 out of the question?

"I anticipate him getting a lot more {hits}," manager Joe Girardi sait of his lead-off hitter, who is three shy of tying Lou Gehrig's all-time Yankees mark od 2,721 after going 3-for 3 in yesterday's 14-8 loss to the Blue Jays at Rogers Centre. "To do what he has done and to be 35, there is a lot of baseball left."

The Yankees and (Tampa)Rays are playing a double-header today at Yankee Stadium, so Jeter will get two games--and he wants to play both-- in front of adoring fans to catch Gehrig.

"Anytime you are talking about a Yankee record, to do it at home is pretty special," said Jeter, who established the hit record at the former Yankee Stadium last year. "We will see what happens."

In his first 13-seasons in the majors, Jeter averaged 195 hits per season. With 183 in 130-games he should get at least his average. That would give hin 2,730 going into next season, the final year of his contract. In order to get 4,000-hits, Jeter would have average 195-hits a season for the next 6 1/2 years beginning with the 2010 season.

www.NYPOST.com

'ARGUABLY, ONE OF THE GREATEST YANKEES OF ALL TIME'!!!

Last edited:

DJ

BGOL Legend
Certified Pussy Poster
As good as those listed players are, if any of those cats (including Ichiro) had to play their ENTIRE career under the pressure and spotlight of Steinbrenner, it's highly doubtful they'd even be in the discussion. Might've cracked under the pressure a long time ago. Hell AROD might not even be in the league anymore. Remember Cleon Jones?

Seriously I want you stop, look up, and really think about what you just typed. Although the Yanks dont have the top hitters, they consitently put together a team of good players that have great chemistry, thats why they are in the playoffs and win championships. The fact that Steinbrenner is an ass has no bearing on the pure talent that hitters like Pujols, Ichiro, Griffey Jr. possess . By your rational, and I hate Bonds, if Bonds were to play for the Yanks he would not have stats that he has because of the so called "pressure" that Steinbrenner puts on the players.

I dont know what Cleon Jones has to do with anything he never played for the Yanks, he was a Met all the way up until they traded him to the White Sox.

lexdiamonnyc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
damn, DJ went 0-4 in the afternoon game of today's double header.......

not for nothing, but the most exciting thing about the Yankees to me is watching Mariano Rivera close.......he's so fuckin incredible!!!36 consecutive saves!:dance::dance::dance:

and I'm not just saying that because he's Panamanian:D

DJ

BGOL Legend
Certified Pussy Poster
damn, DJ went 0-4 in the afternoon game of today's double header.......

not for nothing, but the most exciting thing about the Yankees to me is watching Mariano Rivera close.......he's so fuckin incredible!!!36 consecutive saves!:dance::dance::dance:

and I'm not just saying that because he's Panamanian:D

The 36 saves in a row really isnt that amazing, look at Eric Gagne or eve K-Rod for that matter. The thing that make Mariano a beast is post season play, he is unbeatable in the playoffs and series, a straight pitching beast !!

lexdiamonnyc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The 36 saves in a row really isnt that amazing, look at Eric Gagne or eve K-Rod for that matter. The thing that make Mariano a beast is post season play, he is unbeatable in the playoffs and series, a straight pitching beast !!
true.....nothing amazing for a youngin, but how many 15yr vet closers have 36 save at 39yrs old??.......:D and since you mentioned it, his post season era is 0.77:eek::D

I got a feeling that a few Yankees are gonna get their 5th World Series rings this year:yes:

DJ

BGOL Legend
Certified Pussy Poster
true.....nothing amazing for a youngin, but how many 15yr vet closers have 36 save at 39yrs old??.......:D and since you mentioned it, his post season era is 0.77:eek::D

I got a feeling that a few Yankees are gonna get their 5th World Series rings this year:yes:

Speaking of pitching how about Dan Haren this year witha 0.94 whip in 194 innings that shit is fucking amazing and if you went back a month ago he had that shit down around 0.88 he has been great you just cant tell by his win column.

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor

In a day and age where relievers come and go. Mariano's consistency is what is truly amazing. Since he's taken over for John Wettland like 10 or 11 years ago, there has been NO other closer on that team. How many of the TOP relievers can say that? Maybe Trevor Hoffamn and he did not play on baseball's biggest stage and even Hoffman has had periods where he was ineffective

only time that's EVER happened with Rivera was that small time period where he couldn't get out Damon, Manny and Ortiz during Boston's heyday. And even then he was still dominating everyone else

keysersoze

Star
Registered
There was an article a while back asking who was the greatest Yankee of the last 2 decades - Jeter or Mariano?

Rivera or Jeter? Who's the greatest?

Which of these two current New York Yankee icons is higher on the franchise's list of all-time greats?

For me, the answer is simple. Rivera. No contest.

As great as Jeter is, and as much as he has meant to the Yankees, the last 15 years of Yankee baseball have been about one thing, and one thing only. Get the ball to Rivera with a lead, then wait for John Sterling to start screeching "Yankees win ... Theeeeeeee Yankees win."

Jeter is the Captain. Rivera has been, and still is, the Most Important Yankee.

Star-divide

Of course, to be fair we have to examine this question in much greater detail. Let's do that.

Both players arrived on the Yankee scene in 1995. Jeter played in 15 games, hitting just .250. He would take over as the starting shortstop in 1996. Rivera went 5-3 with a 5.51 ERA in 19 games, 10 of which were starts. In those short stints neither really gave an indication of the greatness they would begin to display in 1996, and the powerful era of Yankee baseball they were about to lead.

Jeter has long been acknowledged as the Captain, the leader, the symbol of all the Yankees did right during the championship years, and a player who has always been at his best when it has meant the most.

Argue about his defense and you can be picky and say he hasn't hit with enough power, but you can't argue about his value to the Yankees and how important he has been to all the winning they have done during his time in pinstripes.

Oh, and he is en route to putting together an offensive resume that will put him among the greatest to ever play once he is finished.

Let's look at his numbers.

* He has 2,624 hits and is headed toward becoming the first Yankee in the glorious history of the franchise to get 3,000 hits as a Yankee. He needs just 97 more to tie Lou Gehrig for the all-time franchise lead. Some have speculated he could reach 4,000 if he is willing to play long enough.
* Fourth in franchise history in doubles, just behind Don Mattingly and just ahead of Babe Ruth.
* Fifth in franchise history with a .316 career batting average.
* Tenth in franchise history in RBI, and is just 158 away from 6th.
* Fourth in franchise history behind Ruth, Gehrig and Mickey Mantle in runs scored.
* Seventh in franchise history in extra-base hits.
* Fifth in franchise history behind Joe DiMaggio in total bases.
* Second in franchise history behind Rickey Henderson in stolen bases. He has 292, and could well get to Henderson's 326.

I was just an 8-year-old kid when Mantle retired, and I have no recollection of ever seeing him play. With apologies to Mattingly, Thurman Munson, Reggie Jackson and anyone else you can name, that makes Jeter the greatest Yankee position player of my lifetime.

It has been a treat to watch him play, and I am fortunate to have witnessed his greatness.

Just not as fortunate as I have been to witness the greatness of Rivera.

WFAN's Sweeny Murti wrote Monday that Rivera's impact on the Yankees is rivaled only by that of Babe Ruth.

The Yankees don't win four World Series titles in five years if Mariano Rivera is not their closer. If the Yankees don't win four World Series titles in five years they don't draw 3-4 million fans every year for the last decade. If the Yankees don't win four World Series titles in five years and draw 3-4 million fans every year for the last decade they don't erect that shiny new building that in the Bronx.

Almost ninety years ago the Yankees imported Babe Ruth from Boston and the fortunes of the franchise changed forever. They built a spectacular new stadium that came to be known as the House That Ruth Built. Mariano Rivera's arrival was less heralded, but has his status as the greatest closer in history been any less important to this franchise?

At first blush, you might think Murti's is an outlandish statement. Think about it, though, and it is hard to argue with. Everything the Yankees have done since 1996 has been about getting the ball to Rivera -- and the championships, huge surge in attendance and the new Stadium don't happen without him.

Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, Berra, Jackson and even Jeter can't match that kind of an impact. As great as Jeter has been I am pretty sure the Yankees could have found another shortstop. Maybe even the guy currently playing third base. But, find another Rivera? Sorry, no chance.

Let's list the numbers.

* The 500 career saves, of course.
* A 2.30 career ERA.
* An ERA+ of 197, easily the best of any pitcher in history. Pedro Martinez is second at 154. The 197 means Rivera's ERA is 97% better than league average for his career.
* The post-season greatness, with 34 saves, an ERA of 0.77 and an 8-1 record.

The numbers, though, don't tell the whole story of Rivera. The fact that after 15 years it is still a stunner when he fails tells part of the story. The respect he gets from everyone who has ever faced him, played with him or dealt with him tells part of the story. The World Series titles, individual milestones and the new Yankee Stadium tell part of the story.

It is, all in all, an amazing story.

In this 'Rivera vs. Jeter' debate I think Rivera is the winner. In a landslide.

Your thoughts?

keysersoze

Star
Registered
Oh yea, on another note - Jeter can you get those hits already, your messing up my fantasy team with your no hits effort against Tampa.

keysersoze

Star
Registered
Speaking of pitching how about Dan Haren this year witha 0.94 whip in 194 innings that shit is fucking amazing and if you went back a month ago he had that shit down around 0.88 he has been great you just cant tell by his win column.

Dan Haren doesn't get enough Respect. He's on a last place Diamondbacks team and has put up great numbers all year. 13-8 right now but if he was on a team like the Angels or Yankees - his numbers could easily be 18-3 ... similar to Chris Carpenter's 16-3 record.

I also like Greinke - he's trapped on the Royals and has put up great numbers. Greinke in my book is the AL Cy Young winner for this year, if not Greinke then Felix Hernandez.

Lincecum will probably win another NL Cy Young.

jdc12

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Dan Haren doesn't get enough Respect. He's on a last place Diamondbacks team and has put up great numbers all year. 13-8 right now but if he was on a team like the Angels or Yankees - his numbers could easily be 18-3 ... similar to Chris Carpenter's 16-3 record.

I also like Greinke - he's trapped on the Royals and has put up great numbers. Greinke in my book is the AL Cy Young winner for this year, if not Greinke then Felix Hernandez.

Lincecum will probably win another NL Cy Young.
For the record W-L record is probably the most overrated stat in all of baseball. That being said, I agree with everything you said in regards to Haren and your picks on AL and NL CY Young.

flounder

Potential Star
Registered
In a day and age where relievers come and go. Mariano's consistency is what is truly amazing. Since he's taken over for John Wettland like 10 or 11 years ago, there has been NO other closer on that team. How many of the TOP relievers can say that? Maybe Trevor Hoffamn and he did not play on baseball's biggest stage and even Hoffman has had periods where he was ineffective

only time that's EVER happened with Rivera was that small time period where he couldn't get out Damon, Manny and Ortiz during Boston's heyday. And even then he was still dominating everyone else

Great observation! I was hoping that another reliever, or, perhaps I should say...."ex-reliever", Joba Chamberlain would eventually replace Mariano in similar fashion to the way Mo replaced John Whettland years ago. Now, it looks like it might be Phil Hughes....unless he returns to a 'starting role', next season.

The way the Yankees have handled the 'Joba' problem---or mishandled the Joba problem may come back to haunt them. Hopefully, it won't. But sometimes management 'over-manages', especially when things are going good,i.e., heading for a post-season appearance, all kinds of records being broken, etc., etc. But the fact-of-the-matter: They're 'babying' the guy, and killing his (Joba's) self-confidence. He's now a 'three inning/35-pitches' pitcher.

Just what trhe Yankees need! (sarcasm)

UPDATE:
Jeter has just tied the legendary /HOF'er Lou Gehrig as the Yankees all-time hits leader.

CONGRATS!!!

lexdiamonnyc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
honestly I never took a sip of the Joba kool-aid, he was a great releiver when he first came up but like everything in NYC aka YankeeLand they over hyped him........thats when they should have got rid of him, now that he's been exposed we won't get a good deal for him...:smh:
I never understood the thinking in holding on to him, trade him....let him go through his "growing pains" somewhere else and when he's right again just buy him up, after all these are the Yankees, money is no object:D

I'm hoping they don't fuck up Phil Hughes, they tried to start him last year and we all remember how that went:smh:......to me he's the obvious choice to replace Mo', his stuff is sick, he doesn't get all emotional like Joba, he's really found his niche and I think he fills the role well:yes:

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor
Okay, since we've switched the subject over to Chamberlain, I'll kick IMHO....

anyone remeber Goose Gossage?? If you will remember (not easy in the A.D.D. era), Gossage was a reliever, who wanted to be a starter just like Chamberlain. Chicago tried him out as a starter at least two seasons and each time he wouldn't last more than 5 or maybe 6 innings. Now today, that's make him a third starter on alot of teams but back in 1977-80 that would get you sent down to the minors. Make a long story short(er) they switched him back to the bullpen and the rest is history. Gossage, like Chamberlain was all fastball and slider. Two pitches, but boy could he throw them. It's obvious what the Yanks need to do, all they have to do is convince CHAMBERLAIN that he needs to be a reliever. Chamberlain is obviously a reliever, Hughes is obviously a starter. They should switch them around next year

flounder

Potential Star
Registered

anyone remeber Goose Gossage?? If you will remember (not easy in the A.D.D. era), Gossage was a reliever, who wanted to be a starter just like Chamberlain. Chicago tried him out as a starter at least two seasons and each time he wouldn't last more than 5 or maybe 6 innings. Now today, that's make him a third starter on alot of teams but back in 1977-80 that would get you sent down to the minors. Make a long story short(er) they switched him back to the bullpen and the rest is history. Gossage, like Chamberlain was all fastball and slider. Two pitches, but boy could he throw them. It's obvious what the Yanks need to do, all they have to do is convince CHAMBERLAIN that he needs to be a reliever. Chamberlain is obviously a reliever, Hughes is obviously a starter. They should switch them around next year

"Z"...an interesting comparison--"Goose" & "Joba"..... they have more in common than many believe. I agree with your assessment......PARTIALLY. Both are 'fierce' competitors. Goose was part of a dying breed, i.e. 'a pure reliever', capable of pitching four or more innings, and finishing games. He should be known for more than 'putting Tigers' Kirk Gibson on the baseball map'. The man should have been in the HOF, years ago. I would also add Lee Smith to that breed. However, I'm not convinced that Joba Chamberlain EVER wanted to be a 'starting pitcher'. Rather, he simply wanted to play,contribute and help the Yankees win...whatever the capacity. However, he did seem 'happy' and 'content' to relieve. Upper-management wanted him to start (one of the Steinbrenner brothers and GM Brian Cashman), although Girardi had no meaningful imput. When the Yankees were 'treading-water' early in the season, there was murmuring of his being replaced. But once management makes a decision--especially an embarassing and foolish one---they hate to admit they were WRONG! They always have a built-in excuse: "We have to err on the side of caution to protect ???????'s arm". All pitchers don't want to be 'starters'. Before the 'relief pitcher' position became important pitchers didn't feel that way. But once they began winning the Cy Young award, MVP, and getting big $$$$ pitchers avoided that role like the plague.

There's talk of using Chamberlain in the bullpen during the post-season. What does that say to Phil Hughes. Brian Bruney, who's psyche is already a little delicate. What about Coke? Pitchers--especially 'relievers'- are easily mentally confused and a little paranoid about their roles. An unwanted headache winning teams don't need.

Yankees fans have wondered for years--at least the last five--what happens when Mariano (Age 39) goes down with permanent injury, or retires? What happens if there's a protracted salary dispute--as there was last year, and the Yankees decide to trade MO in an attempt to 'save' face? Who would be able to step in? Lo and behold! Up pops Joba Chamberlain. Whose make-up and personality seems ideal for that role. But sometimes success. i.e., winning breeds stupity and boredom, causing management to 'over-manage'. EXHIBIT 1: "Let's turn Joba Chamberlain into a "starter", and put Phil Hughes in the bullpen. They'll both love it.

Well, Hughes is bidding his time, awaiting the start of 2010 spring training with hopes of leaving Florida as part of the starting rotation. If not with New York, some other team. Oh, and don't forget about Ian Kennedy and Wang (on DL). They'll also be in the mix, as will others.

The quickest way to kill a competitor's spirit is to 'force' him/her to do something not desired. Plus, it creates confusion and a loss of confidence. Who wants to be a starter limited to 3-innings or 35-40 pitches? If you're going to be babied, why not stay in the minors? The per dium meal-money is a lot less, but at least you get to start regularly and relieve. Hell, you may also get a chance to play outfield and bat. Also,other teams might value you more.

But most importantly you'll get the respect of your teammates. This is my opinion. Others may feel differently, and that's their choice.

Last edited:

lexdiamonnyc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Please leave Phil Hughes right where he is!!!! he's perfect for that role.....

Joba, has great stuff but he's too emotional for that role! once he gives up a hit he losses his confidence.........:smh:

Phil isn't affected by giving up hits, dude seems stone cold when he's out there......just like Mo'.

and what the fuck is it with them giving the ball to Brian Bruney, he's not right....stop giving him the ball!!!!:smh:

keysersoze

Star
Registered

he wouldn't last more than 5 or maybe 6 innings.

I don't know who your talking about but he sounds better than Joba right now.

Last 4 starts of Joba going back to Aug 25 have been (1) 4 innings pitched and (3) starts where Joba pitched 3 innings.

It would be an BIG improvement if he could last 5 or 6 innings.

The biggest BS about all of this is the Yankees are trying so hard to protect his ERA but are FAILING miserably.

He has an ERA of 7.88 (21 ER in 24 IP :smh:), 1.88 WHIP, and has 1.64 K/BB in the last month!!

IF THAT's NOT GARBAGE, I DON'T WHAT IS!

On top of that, I've seen him immediately pulled from games in the middle of innings where he gets himself into trouble - has 2 men on base with 1 out and a power hitter coming up to bat. If we only let him play through the whole inning, he'd have an ERA of 2 points higher than his current ERA. The Yankees managers always bail him out in time with the excuse of keeping his pitch count down.

I don't understand how your saving him for the postseason when he's messing up big time in the games right before the postseason. If he can't handle 3 innings in the regular season against average teams, what makes the Yankees so sure he'll be able to handle the stacked lineups of the Red Sox or Angels in the playoffs. Even the White Sox have spanked him regularly.

He has potential but at the rate he's putting up numbers, he should be 5th starter and not even a 3 in a playoff series. Right now, Andy P is better than him and should get a 3rd starting spot. :yes:

If the Yankees want to keep trying him out for another year at this starting pitcher spot, that's fine. Batters are not afraid of him anymore and other teams are not buying the hype the yankees are selling about him anymore.

Remember Rivera's first year staring? He was trash so they put him the bullpen and he took over from that role. Joba can do the same.

My 2 cents.

Last edited:

jdc12

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I don't know who your talking about but he sounds better than Joba right now.

Last 4 starts of Joba going back to Aug 25 have been (1) 4 innings pitched and (3) starts where Joba pitched 3 innings.

It would be an BIG improvement if he could last 5 or 6 innings.

The biggest BS about all of this is the Yankees are trying so hard to protect his ERA but are FAILING miserably.

He has an ERA of 7.88 (21 ER in 24 IP :smh:), 1.88 WHIP, and has 1.64 K/BB in the last month!!

IF THAT's NOT GARBAGE, I DON'T WHAT IS!

On top of that, I've seen him immediately pulled from games in the middle of innings where he gets himself into trouble - has 2 men on base with 1 out and a power hitter coming up to bat. If we only let him play through the whole inning, he'd have an ERA of 2 points higher than his current ERA. The Yankees managers always bail him out in time with the excuse of keeping his pitch count down.

I don't understand how your saving him for the postseason when he's messing up big time in the games right before the postseason. If he can't handle 3 innings in the regular season against average teams, what makes the Yankees so sure he'll be able to handle the stacked lineups of the Red Sox or Angels in the playoffs. Even the White Sox have spanked him regularly.
The reason Joba is being babied right now is that they don't want to put him in the bullpen, yet they're still trying to keep his innings down. Joba has never pitched more than the 136 innings he has pitched this season. There have been numerous instances throughout history that suggest that if you have a huge jump in innings as a youngster (see Mark Prior) you will burn out shortly thereafter. The Yankees are going to have to either shut him down eventually, or move him to the bullpen for the remainder of the season if they still want to have him pitch in the postseason.

flounder

Potential Star
Registered
Re: Derek Jeter !! He's Almost There!!!.....Now, he's there!!!.

Derek Jeter surpasses the "Iron Horse"- Lou Gehrig, and is NOW Yankees's ALL-TIME HITS LEADER (2,723). His hits ranks him at #52, while lowering Lou Gehrig to #53, among all MLB. Roberto Alomar (2,724), next!

One Yankee captain replaces a former Yankee captain, and "Pride of the Yankees". Jeter also stole his 25th base of the season-(career 300th), leaving him 26 shy of the current Yankee record holder, Ricky Henderson.

He now has 188-hits for the season,leaving him 12-hits shy of the coveted 200-hits season.Hopefully Jeter will get the hits required, and enjoy his 7th career 200-hits season.

Last edited:

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
First, CONGRATS to Derek Jeter ! ! ! but Fuck the yankees ! ! !

Secondly,

Add to this: The Goose was intimidating both in his physical appearance and in the way he challenged hitters. Often setup by the lefty, Sparky Lyle, Goose Gossage would come right at people -- typically with men already on base.

Does Joba really have those great closer attributes ?

QueEx

flounder

Potential Star
Registered
First, CONGRATS to Derek Jeter ! ! ! but Fuck the yankees ! ! !

Secondly,

Add to this: The Goose was intimidating both in his physical appearance and in the way he challenged hitters. Often setup by the lefty, Sparky Lyle, Goose Gossage would come right at people -- typically with men already on base.

QueEx

I think that he does, but the entire conversation might be purely 'academic'. The more the Yankees 'mishandle or mismanage' this guy the more frustrating Joba's pitching effort gets. I would not be surprised if they 'packaged' a trade, and sent him to a NL team. He might be better off. Plus, at least he'd get to bat (he's not a bad hitter). Maybe the Cardinals or Phillies.

Prior to this season (2007 & 2008) Chamberlain posted these stats with the Yankees: 124.1 innings/9-hits/152 K's /5-walks/ERA 2.17. The young man can pitch. These stats were accumulated as a reliever and a spot-starter.

Early this season Chamberlain served as a late-inning reliever and set-up man for Mariano Rivera. That 1-2 tandum worked well and was very effective. Then Chien-Ming Wang went to the DL (twice), and was eventually lost for the season. At the same time the team was 'struggling somewhat', and the Red Sox was kicking their butt with abandon. Yankee starting pitching was 'average', at best. Panic set in, especially after spending more than one-half million dollars on 'free agents'. And Joba's pitching aura excited Yankee fans and top management--those above GM Brian Cashman.They finally saw what they thought was a perfect opportunity to make Joba Chamberlain a starter.
Upper management finally had the perfect opportunity to make Joba Chamberlain a 'starter'. Girardi didn't share their enthusiam, but he's lower management and has to stay in their good graces.

But one thing they failed to consider. Joba does NOT have the personality, nor make-up, to 'start'. The guy's loaded with energy, and is quite animated. Starting pitchers are usually 'staid', low-key,and laid-back. Trying to make him a starter is as ridiculous as the Detroit Tigers GM Dombrowski ordering Tiger manager Jim Leyland to switch Joel Zumaya. The man brings HEAT on every pitch! Regularly throwing his FB in the 3-digit range.

Phil Hughes, initially a starter was told to join the bullpen and serve as set-up for Rivera. But it came with a little 'relunctance', and a silent understanding that he returns to the starting rotation next season. If anyone thinks that Hughes is 'happy' with that role, they're deceiving themselves. The fact that Hughes is doing well doesn't change the fact that he prefers starting. He's a very good pitcher, a former #1 Draft choice. His FB is much faster than Chamberlains', because Hughes only pitches one or two innings, and has no need to PACE himself. When Joba had that role, his FB was a lot faster than it is currently because he had no reason to PACE.

He was told by no less a figure than David Cone (former great Yankee starter) that he had to cut down on his FB and develope other pitches in order to PACE himself for the long haul,i.e., six-seven innings.

In the end all of these efforts may be meaningless because Chamberlain may be traded or sent back to the 'pen--where he belongs..in the Bronx, or elsewhere.

Last edited:

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor

QueEx

Absolutely. This is why I brought Gossage up to begin with and why Chamberlain needs to be in the pen. Guess I am showing my age, but I REMEMBER when Gossage was starting and it was the exact same process. Goose Gossage nitpicking and trying to paint corners. Needless to say, it was a complete failure. It was only when he disregarded trying to work hitters and come right after them that he became the dominating force known as "The Goose". Watching Chamberlain trying to paint those same corners brought back those memories. Don't worrying about painting corners and mixing speeds. Just chuck that shit down the middle and dare them to hit it like The Goose. When you can bring it near 100MPH you should be the last cat on the mound, not the first.

flounder

Potential Star
Registered
....and the beat goes on. Jeter ties Roberto Alomar 2,724, at #51. Another will soon "bite the dust"!

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor
....and the beat goes on. Jeter ties Roberto Alomar 2,724, at #51. Another will soon "bite the dust"!

Am glad you bought this up because this is the perfect player to deal with on HOF status of Jeter. Alomar is a good example of what I was referring to when I said "if Jeter's career was to end TODAY would he get in the Hall on the first ballot. How long has it been since Alomar retired?? Wasn't he eligible this year?? And he numbers compared very favorably to Jeter's (right now) yet he did get inducted

jdc12

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Am glad you bought this up because this is the perfect player to deal with on HOF status of Jeter. Alomar is a good example of what I was referring to when I said "if Jeter's career was to end TODAY would he get in the Hall on the first ballot. How long has it been since Alomar retired?? Wasn't he eligible this year?? And he numbers compared very favorably to Jeter's (right now) yet he did get inducted
Robby Alomar becomes eligible next year. That's why you haven't heard much about it. The bigger question is going to be who gets a larger percentage of the vote Barry Larkin or him. Both are easily getting in.

flounder

Potential Star
Registered
Robby Alomar becomes eligible next year. That's why you haven't heard much about it. The bigger question is going to be who gets a larger percentage of the vote Barry Larkin or him. Both are easily getting in.

Both had very good stats, and equal number of (12x) all-star appearances. But Larkin will probably get more votes, a/c he was more 'media friendly', along with getting the Roberto Clemente Award & Lou Gehrig Memorial Award. Plus,being his team's captain.

A little known incident-but not forgotten--intentionally spitting on an ump may haunt Alomar. Never the less, he was a damn good player. A little 'surly', and not your ideal 'team player'. He played on 8-different squads/ 17-years.

Larkin was a complete opposite, had class, and---at times---the lone bright spot on some average Cincinnati teams.

Last edited:

jdc12

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Both had very good stats, adn equal (12x) all-star appearances. But Larkin will probably get more votes, a/c he was more 'media friendly', along with getting the Roberto Clemente Award & Lou Gehrig Memorial Award. Plus,being his team's captain.

A little known incident-but not forgotten--intentionally spitting on an ump may haunt Alomar. Never the less, he was a damn good player. A little 'surly', and not your ideal 'team player'. He played on 8-different squads/ 17-years.

Larkin was a complete opposite, and,---at times---the lone bright spot on some dismal Cincinnati teams.
True, the Hirschbeck incident is still what he's most remembered for even though he's arguably the greatest defensive 2B ever.

flounder

Potential Star
Registered
Jeter needs only 6-hits to tie Lou Gehrig for another record,i.e., 8-200-hit seasons[/SIZE]....a New York Yankee record. His teammate, Robinson Cano, age 28, currently has 188-hits, needing only twelve more to have his first 200-hit season.

Ichiro Suzuki (Seattle) owns the MLB record, with 9/200-hit seasons....a virtual hitting machine.

Last edited:

flounder

Potential Star
Registered
The computer was in the shop, getting a 'much needed' wipe-out and a little tinkering.

Now for the good news![/ :D

Jeter added to his much heralded accomplishments this season, as well as, career. When he made his debut roughly 14-seasons ago--along with Rivera, Posada, and Pettitte--he got 2-hits. Over the next ensuing 14-seasons he added 2,740. On his way to.....? Who knows?

Several days ago he reached his 7th career 200-hit season, needing one more to tie HOF'er, Lou Gehrig's mark for a Yankee record.

AS A SIDE NOTE:

Yankee 2nd baseman, Robinson Cano reached 200-hits.....his first. Doing so made him the 3rd Yankee second baseman ( Alphonso Soriano and "Stubby" Sternweiss) to accomplish that feat. He hit his 25th HR last night, making the Yankees the only MLB team to have 5/25 HR hitters in a single season.

Last edited: