Derek Jeter !! He's Almost There!!!..............

flounder

Potential Star
Registered
...8-hits short (2713, as of August) of tying the legendary New York Yankee Lou Gehrig for most hits (2721) in Yankee history, and needing 9-hits to claim the top rung on the hit-ladder! He also needs 2-more 200-hit seasons to tie Gehrig in that category, i.e., most 200-hit seasons. Gehrig has 8/200-hit seasons, while Jeter has 6/200-hit seasons. This season should mark his 7th-200-hit accomplishment. So far he's at 178 for the year.

Gehrig's record was achieve over 17-seasons, and will be matched and passed in Jeter's 14th season.

While not a seeker of 'individual records', Jeter will appreciate this one in particular..classifying him OFFICIALY as the greatest Yankee of all time. It all started in Kalamazoo,MI.

What was former Boston Red Sox outfielder, Jim Rice, thinking when he accused Jeter (while addressing a group of kids at the National Little League Championship Series) of setting a "bad example" for youth. Sour grapes? A senior moment? Jim Rice has always had an "attitude" problem. That's why it took 15-years to get in the HOF. He outlived many of his detractors (BBWAA voters), and many of the younger writers/voters didn't know him. And probably felt a little voter guilt. But what can you expect from a player who's entire career was spent with a 'brides-maid' team, 'thanks' to the New York Yankees.

Jeter's comment upon hearing about Rice's remarks? "No comment", and spoke about wanting to get his team to the World Series. Typical Jeter comment, and typical Jeter class.

Stats are based solely on regular season production.

Last edited:

lexdiamonnyc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
i wonder if jeter is on that banned substances list :dunno:

probably not but u never know
very doubtful, he's never really been a power hitter..........in baseball that is.

who else do you know that has fucked more Maxim features than DJ??....

this is the future wife...
GX2uQiMTEob1wfn7kgCz6Jl1o1_400.jpg

not bad:dunno:

DJ

BGOL Legend
Certified Pussy Poster
Griifey Jr. been hurt half his career and Jeter is just now catching up to him ? You Yanks fans straight kill me, Gherig isnt even in the top 50 all time hit leaders catagory, why is this such a big deal because its the Yanks ?:smh:

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor
While I am definitely happy for the brotha, this by no means makes Jeter the greatest Yankee to wear the uniform in my eyes. Only makes him the most prolific hitter. In fact, never really look at one particular player as "the greatest" in ANY team sport. Still it's quite an achievement to be the #1 hitter in history on ANY team and let's not forget he just became the #1 hitter at his position a few weeks ago as well.

lexdiamonnyc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Griifey Jr. been hurt half his career and Jeter is just now catching up to him ? You Yanks fans straight kill me, Gherig isnt even in the top 50 all time hit leaders catagory, why is this such a big deal because its the Yanks ?:smh:
yes, it is a big deal because he's a Yankee, also because he came up as a Yankee and will retire a Yankee, and it's a big deal because he has 4 rings (soon to be 5) on his fingers...

yes he's not the best, but he is very consistant....

you Yankee haters straight kill me....:smh:

flounder

Potential Star
Registered
yes, it is a big deal because he's a Yankee, also because he came up as a Yankee and will retire a Yankee, and it's a big deal because he has 4 rings (soon to be 5) on his fingers...

yes he's not the best, but he is very consistant....

you Yankee haters straight kill me....:smh:

Could not have said it better!! Jeter will probably pass Lou Gehrig's record before the end of the month.

If Jeter averages merely 114-hits over the next three years, he'll catch HOF'er Tony Gwynn. Gwynn is currently ranked as the 17th greatest hitter in MLB, with a total of 3,141. Gwynn accomplished this feat over a 20-year career. Jeter will have equaled that total over a 17-year career.

Reaching that total will move him pass such MLB luminaries as Roberto Clemente, Rod Carew, and Ricky Henderson. All of whom are Hof'ers.

Give the man his credit.

DJ

BGOL Legend
Certified Pussy Poster
Could not have said it better!! Jeter will probably pass Lou Gehrig's record before the end of the month.

If Jeter averages merely 114-hits over the next three years, he'll catch HOF'er Tony Gwynn. Gwynn is currently ranked as the 17th greatest hitter in MLB, with a total of 3,141. Gwynn accomplished this feat over a 20-year career. Jeter will have equaled that total over a 17-year career.

Reaching that total will move him pass such MLB luminaries as Roberto Clemente, Rod Carew, and Ricky Henderson. All of whom are Hof'ers.

Give the man his credit.

So you are banking on the fact the he will stay healthy long enough to accomplish that feat.

Jeter is a great clutch hitter, hands down probably one of the best that has ever played the game. Problem is you think the Yankees have set some kind of precident on how well a player is at the plate. You do realize that Ivan Rodriguez, Omar Vizquel, and Gary Sheffield are less than 20 hits behind Jeter all time ? That being said they can all accomplish the same "tremendous" feat as Jeter. For that matter A-Roid is only 200 hits behind Jeter, and believe me if A-Roid isnt hurt half the season he is only 100 behind Jeter.

Wake up and open your eyes man, Jeter wont be the last person to break Gherigs record as a Yank, so the shit is not that serious. Is he a good SS yes, is he going to be the end of all Yanks records, hell no. When he suprpasses Rose,Cobb or Aaron then you might have something to talk about, shit he wont even pass Ripken.

Cheer on Yanks fans your SS will be the 50th best hitter of all time. :smh:

lexdiamonnyc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
^that much hate can only come from a bitter RedSox fan:smh:

you people are sad when you ain't winning!!.....you didn't hear me or any other Yankee fan talking shit about your team when you guys were winning....:dunno:

hey at least you guys will get the wildcard, look at the bright side:)

DJ

BGOL Legend
Certified Pussy Poster
^that much hate can only come from a bitter RedSox fan:smh:

you people are sad when you ain't winning!!.....you didn't hear me or any other Yankee fan talking shit about your team when you guys were winning....:dunno:

hey at least you guys will get the wildcard, look at the bright side:)

Yo, I aint never call you out your name so why would you call me a red sox fan ? :lol:

I am a Cubs fan playa, but I live and breathe baseball, and if you read my post you will see I think Jeter is a great player, I just think that all the hype is uneccessary.

You want to get excited about a guy than can break records get excited about Ichiro, 8 consecutive seasons with 200+ hits(6 times he has led the league in hits), he has broken a record every year since he has been in the league, he needs 11 hits to make 200 hits this year and 6 hits to make 2000 hits lifetime. 9 time all-star, ROY, 8 time golden glove (prob 9 after the season), 2 time silver slugger, he even led the league in steals his rookie year, and this guy has every chance in the world to beat Rose record for all time hit leader.

jdc12

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
While not a seeker of 'individual records', Jeter will appreciate this one in particular..classifying him OFFICIALY as the greatest Yankee of all time. It all started in Kalamazoo,MI.
Jeter is in no way the greatest Yankee of all time. All that says about Jeter is that he was able to stay healthy for a long period of time.

Give the man his credit.
Jeter deserves a lot of credit and is already a 1st ballot HOF'er IMO, but Clemente, Carew, and Henderson were all much better players. Using your logic, Eddie Murray and Rafael Palmeiro are better hitters than Mickey Mantle and Ted Williams.

flounder

Potential Star
Registered
Jeter is in no way the greatest Yankee of all time. All that says about Jeter is that he was able to stay healthy for a long period of time.

Jeter deserves a lot of credit and is already a 1st ballot HOF'er IMO, but Clemente, Carew, and Henderson were all much better players. Using your logic, Eddie Murray and Rafael Palmeiro are better hitters than Mickey Mantle and Ted Williams.

Sorry that you came to that conclusion. You might chalk it up to an "unintended consequence". But 'longevity' offers many advantages...some good, some bad.

Both Eddie Murray and Rafael Palmiero had longer careers, ending with lower slugging percentages, i.e., Murray (21-yrs)/.476%; **Palmiero (20-yrs)/.515%. I try not to read too much into players stats from different eras/periods.

*Mickey Mantle, (18-yrs w/ 2-yrs playing less than 90-gms)/ .557%; and Ted Williams, (19-yrs w/4-yrs, thanks to WW II 'interruption') .634%

* almost ruined his career via a severely injured tibia in his right leg ('thanks' to a rain drain pipe while playing outfield during his rookie season).

** recorded accumulated via PED usage.

Hopefully, Derek will stay "healthy'throughout the remainder of his career. Like many other outstanding players in all professional sports, Jeter plays through pain. Always has, always will. That's part of the reason for my confidence in Jeter. Plus, I'm a long-time fan. I've always liked the way he treats people and honors the game.

Last edited:

jdc12

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Sorry that you came to that conclusion. You might chalk it up to an "unintended consequence". But 'longevity' offers many advantages...some good, some bad.

Both Eddie Murray and Rafael Palmiero had longer careers, ending with lower slugging percentages, i.e., Murray (21-yrs)/.476%; **Palmiero (20-yrs)/.515%. I try not to read too much into players stats from different eras/periods.
So which is it? Are accumulative stats more important to you or are percentage based stats more important? I'm a little confused with your logic.

DJ

BGOL Legend
Certified Pussy Poster
So which is it? Are accumulative stats more important to you or are percentage based stats more important? I'm a little confused with your logic.

You as well as me, I just dont see where his point is going.:confused:

lexdiamonnyc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yo, I aint never call you out your name so why would you call me a red sox fan ? :lol:

I am a Cubs fan playa, but I live and breathe baseball, and if you read my post you will see I think Jeter is a great player, I just think that all the hype is uneccessary.

You want to get excited about a guy than can break records get excited about Ichiro, 8 consecutive seasons with 200+ hits(6 times he has led the league in hits), he has broken a record every year since he has been in the league, he needs 11 hits to make 200 hits this year and 6 hits to make 2000 hits lifetime. 9 time all-star, ROY, 8 time golden glove (prob 9 after the season), 2 time silver slugger, he even led the league in steals his rookie year, and this guy has every chance in the world to beat Rose record for all time hit leader.

:lol:....don't take it personal fam, I didn't mean to attack your fandom.....but being a Cubs fan I can see why you feel the way you do.......:D

I can't imagine my team sucking for my entire life, shit must be rough:smh:

it's jokes fam.....when I became a Yankees fan(1986) they sucked too, I came to this country and landed in the BX just a few blocks from Yankees Stadium, so that shit was pretty much a lock.....:D

you're right about Ichiro, he's great and all but people see him more as a hired gun sort of like A-Rod(who'll never get the love Jetter get no matter how many records he breaks).......the thing about DJ is that most people see him as the "total" package.....

he's a Yankee from beginning to end( was a 1st round draft pick#6)
he's the Captain.
he's pretty good at his position(not the best by any stretch)
he's a great hitter, and very consistant year after year...
he's clean(at least it looks that way)
he's a great teammate
he almost never misses a game
4 rings
10x all star
rookie of the year 96'
babe ruth award 2000
hank aron award 2006
3 gold gloves
3 silver sluggers
lifetime .300+ batting
lifetime .400+ slugging

and I won't even go into his post season stats, just know that they are ridiculous!

and guess what, he's not even my favorite Yankee.....I call him "double play Jeter"......I'm actually not a big fan of his......:dunno:

I just think he deserves his props, that's all..........

let me ask you a question........
if you were a GM, taking the total package into consideration who would you build a team around.....Ichiro or Jeter??and why?........not just about the stats.

DJ

BGOL Legend
Certified Pussy Poster
:lol:....don't take it personal fam, I didn't mean to attack your fandom.....but being a Cubs fan I can see why you feel the way you do.......:D

I can't imagine my team sucking for my entire life, shit must be rough:smh:

it's jokes fam.....when I became a Yankees fan(1986) they sucked too, I came to this country and landed in the BX just a few blocks from Yankees Stadium, so that shit was pretty much a lock.....:D

you're right about Ichiro, he's great and all but people see him more as a hired gun sort of like A-Rod(who'll never get the love Jetter get no matter how many records he breaks).......the thing about DJ is that most people see him as the "total" package.....

he's a Yankee from beginning to end( was a 1st round draft pick#6)
he's the Captain.
he's pretty good at his position(not the best by any stretch)
he's a great hitter, and very consistant year after year...
he's clean(at least it looks that way)
he's a great teammate
he almost never misses a game
4 rings
10x all star
rookie of the year 96'
babe ruth award 2000
hank aron award 2006
3 gold gloves
3 silver sluggers
lifetime .300+ batting
lifetime .400+ slugging

and I won't even go into his post season stats, just know that they are ridiculous!

and guess what, he's not even my favorite Yankee.....I call him "double play Jeter"......I'm actually not a big fan of his......:dunno:

I just think he deserves his props, that's all..........

let me ask you a question........
if you were a GM, taking the total package into consideration who would you build a team around.....Ichiro or Jeter??and why?........not just about the stats.

I was at a bar talking with a bartender about this last night, if I was in the 9th inning a run down with a man on first and 2 outs there is nobody I would rather have at the plate than Jeter.

If I had to build a team around a player more than likey it would be A-Roid, because I believe he is the total package. It still baffles me how Seattle pissed a way what could have been one of the most dominant baseball teams we have seen in recent history. To answer your question though I think I would take Jeter over Ichiro just for the simple fact of the clutch hitting, if it wasn't for that one factor Ichiro would get the call. Jeter also posesses a bit more power, but I dont think he plays the game as well as Ichiro or is as disciplined at the plate, and defensively he cant touch Ichiro.

I know Jeter is the home town hero, and Yanks fans are excited I just thought the "greatest Yankee of all time" comment was a little over the top.

jdc12

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Now this is a good question. Only because I believe these are the two most overrated players in baseball. Jeter's a better offensive player, Ichiro's a better defensive player. I'd lean towards Jeter mainly because from an offensive standpoint he provides much more flexibility than Ichiro. Also, Jeter destroys Ichiro from an intangible standpoint. Although that could simply be because Jeter has been in a lot more situations to prove this compared to Ichiro.

flounder

Potential Star
Registered
....TESTIMONY BY EX-YANKEE MANGER, JOE TORRE

Article by Anthony McCarron
Sports Writer, NYDaily News

Joe Salutes Captain Jeter

"As he nears Lou Gehrig's franchise hits record, Joe Torre (Dodgers Manager) knows that perhaps no other player suits the pinstriped legacy like Derek Jeter does."

"Torre noted that perhaps Jeter's statistics aren't as flashy as some of the other shortstops of his era, particularly early on. Torre named Alex Rodriquez, Nomar Garciapara (Boston),and Miquel Tejada.(While his stats') "... never measured up to those guys he (brought) something special to the table. You have to watch him to appreciate him. He's a very special guy. The upbringing he had. You look in his eyes, he looks right back at you."

Joe gave the young man his opportunity--as a 22-year old rookie. It was also Torre's first year at the 'managerial helm' for the Yankees....their first WS Championship and Jeter's ROY award.

NYDailyNews.com

Last edited:

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor

Baseball is a sport loaded with intangibles. Stats will never tell the entire story. It is why the Yankees have the most championships despite the fact that they have no player among the top hitters OR pitchers in history. Of course, stats don't lie either, if a man has 2000 hits, he has had a preety distinguished career. Even if all 2000 hits are bunt singles. If you were asking me that question, I would answer that it's a combination of those things, but you should always take into consideration the individual. For example, Dave Kingman has a shitload of homers, but the rest of his game was sorely lacking. But if you look at his stats as compared to the HR hitters of today, he might compare favorably. But anyone who watched him knows he wasn't shit as a professional

flounder

Potential Star
Registered
Baseball is a sport loaded with intangibles. Stats will never tell the entire story. It is why the Yankees have the most championships despite the fact that they have no player among the top hitters OR pitchers in history. Of course, stats don't lie either, if a man has 2000 hits, he has had a preety distinguished career. Even if all 2000 hits are bunt singles. If you were asking me that question, I would answer that it's a combination of those things, but you should always take into consideration the individual. For example, Dave Kingman has a shitload of homers, but the rest of his game was sorely lacking. But if you look at his stats as compared to the HR hitters of today, he might compare favorably. But anyone who watched him knows he wasn't shit as a professional

Good point, and well said.

jdc12

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Baseball is a sport loaded with intangibles. Stats will never tell the entire story.
This is true with any sport. However, baseball has long been the one that relies on stats to tell the rest of the story the most out of all the team sports.

It is why the Yankees have the most championships despite the fact that they have no player among the top hitters OR pitchers in history.
:confused::confused::confused:

If you were to create an all-time starting lineup, there are going to be at least 2 Yankees starting. Ruth and Gehrig are on every experts' all-time starting lineup. And the greatest closer of all-time is a Yankee as well.

And that's just the starting lineup. Forget these all-time greats who I left out...

Mantle
DiMaggio
Berra
Ford
Gomez
Dickey

And that's just players who spent close to their entire career with the Yankees. Not even including other HOF'ers, Cy Young Winners, or MVP's who played with the Yankees (Maris, Gossage, Henderson, Guidry, Jackson, Clemens, Mattingly, Winfield just to name a few).

The Yankees are one of the few teams (they may be the only one as far as I know) that has at least one HOF'er at every single position.

If anything no team in baseball has ever had as many of the greatest players of all-time like the Yankees.
Of course, stats don't lie either, if a man has 2000 hits, he has had a preety distinguished career. Even if all 2000 hits are bunt singles. If you were asking me that question, I would answer that it's a combination of those things, but you should always take into consideration the individual. For example, Dave Kingman has a shitload of homers, but the rest of his game was sorely lacking. But if you look at his stats as compared to the HR hitters of today, he might compare favorably. But anyone who watched him knows he wasn't shit as a professional
Dave Kingman was a one-trick pony. What you have to also remember was the game was played much differently back then. The game was more built on speed than power. If Kingman were playing today he'd be just like Adam Dunn, Mark Reynolds, Ryan Howard, or Russell Branyan. Striking out a ton also doesn't carry the same stigma that it did 20-30 years ago.

Also, just because a person has 2000 hits doesn't mean they're a good hitter. It just means they've been able to stay healthy long enough to accumulate such stats.

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor
Don't have time to go through all that shit. Just gonna say that you listed all these players, yet for whatever reasons, NONE of them is on the all time hitting list. If they were, Jeter would not be the top hitter in Yankee history. And NONE of the pitchers are on the all time wins, strikeouts list. I think Whitey may be in the top 30 or something in wins, maybe. OF COURSE the Yankees have had plenty of great players. I could certainly list them as well. But that is not what I said. I stated that they do not have anyone on any all time list (Reggie Jackson does not count, he played for the A's) or in any of the categories considered to be used for all time greats (hits, HRs for hitters; wins and strikeouts for pitchers) besides Babe Ruth, who played for the Sox as well. And the only reason I even said that is to answer a question about the validity of statistics. I ain't trying to get into any debates about who is great and who isn't. Just dealing with the numbers analysis and how it might get misconstrued.

And I also never said 2000 hits made a man a great hitter. Just that he's had a distinguished career. Don't even think that's disputable

Last edited:

jdc12

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Don't have time to go through all that shit. Just gonna say that you listed all these players, yet for whatever reasons, NONE of them is on the all time hitting list. If they were, Jeter would not be the top hitter in Yankee history. And NONE of the pitchers are on the all time wins, strikeouts list. I think Whitey may be in the top 30 or something in wins, maybe. OF COURSE the Yankees have had plenty of great players. I could certainly list them as well. But that is not what I said. I stated that they do not have anyone on any all time list (Reggie Jackson does not count, he played for the A's) or in any of the categories considered to be used for all time greats (hits, HRs for hitters; wins and strikeouts for pitchers) besides Babe Ruth, who played for the Sox as well. And the only reason I even said that is to answer a question about the validity of statistics. I ain't trying to get into any debates about who is great and who isn't. Just dealing with the numbers analysis and how it might get misconstrued.

And I also never said 2000 hits made a man a great hitter. Just that he's had a distinguished career. Don't even think that's disputable
From what I'm hearing, the accumulation of career stats is more important to you than formula based stats. Because of that we will just simply have to agree to disagree.

DJ

BGOL Legend
Certified Pussy Poster
Now this is a good question. Only because I believe these are the two most overrated players in baseball. Jeter's a better offensive player, Ichiro's a better defensive player. I'd lean towards Jeter mainly because from an offensive standpoint he provides much more flexibility than Ichiro. Also, Jeter destroys Ichiro from an intangible standpoint. Although that could simply be because Jeter has been in a lot more situations to prove this compared to Ichiro.

Please explain, I dont know why you would think Ichiro is overrated, since Seattle has dumped ARod, Griffey, Johnson just to name a few, and is one of the shittiest teams in the league, he has put up some of the most consistent numbers baseball has ever seen, not to mention the dude is one of the best if not the best defensive RF in the league. He is a lead off hitter so he has no protection in the line up, what makes him overrated ?

jdc12

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Please explain, I dont know why you would think Ichiro is overrated, since Seattle has dumped ARod, Griffey, Johnson just to name a few, and is one of the shittiest teams in the league, he has put up some of the most consistent numbers baseball has ever seen, not to mention the dude is one of the best if not the best defensive RF in the league. He is a lead off hitter so he has no protection in the line up, what makes him overrated ?
I believe Ichiro is overrated offensively. Defensively, I agree that he is one of the premier defensive outfielders in all of baseball. My reasons for this is because as great he is when it comes to hand-eye coordination, he lacks in other areas. For instance, nearly everyone will agree that the primary objective of the leadoff hitter above everything else is to get on base. While Ichiro has never hit below .300 in a season, he also has only once had an OBP of over .400. Not to mention that his game is built entirely on speed, and Ichiro does not run as well as he used to when he came into the league.

DJ

BGOL Legend
Certified Pussy Poster
I believe Ichiro is overrated offensively. Defensively, I agree that he is one of the premier defensive outfielders in all of baseball. My reasons for this is because as great he is when it comes to hand-eye coordination, he lacks in other areas. For instance, nearly everyone will agree that the primary objective of the leadoff hitter above everything else is to get on base. While Ichiro has never hit below .300 in a season, he also has only once had an OBP of over .400. Not to mention that his game is built entirely on speed, and Ichiro does not run as well as he used to when he came into the league.

I can understand the the speed issue, but remember he is a lead off hitter, nobody is going to walk him, that means he has to swing every time he gets to the plate thats why he has led the league in at bats 6 out of 9 years. He dont strike out, maybe 50-60 times a year, and makes contact with the ball every time. All those at bats can reduce his obp. and he still manages to have a .333 career batting average. He has 191 hits this year in only 530 at bats. He is one of the top 5 hitters in baseball.

jdc12

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I can understand the the speed issue, but remember he is a lead off hitter, nobody is going to walk him, that means he has to swing every time he gets to the plate thats why he has led the league in at bats 6 out of 9 years. He dont strike out, maybe 50-60 times a year, and makes contact with the ball every time. All those at bats can reduce his obp. and he still manages to have a .333 career batting average. He has 191 hits this year in only 530 at bats. He is one of the top 5 hitters in baseball.
What made Rickey Henderson effective into his 40's was that he could draw a walk. The ability to know the strike zone is one of the most underrated skills a person can have. That's what made Bonds so impossible to pitch to in the early part of the decade because of his ability to know the strike zone.

The problem with having all of those at bats is that more often than not you are creating extra outs. Ichiro has led the league in at bats in 6 of his 9 years. He also has finished in the top 10 in regards to outs made every single year of his career.

Not striking out much is a positive since he doesn't ground into many double plays at all. His inability to walk actually hurts his OBP more than all the at bats.

I don't even have Ichiro in my top 10 as far as active hitters go. I'm taking at least the following 10 before Ichiro.

Albert Pujols
Manny Ramirez
Hanley Ramirez
Joe Mauer
Alex Rodriguez
Miguel Cabrera
Chase Utley
David Wright
Justin Morneau
Mark Teixeira

DJ

BGOL Legend
Certified Pussy Poster
What made Rickey Henderson effective into his 40's was that he could draw a walk. The ability to know the strike zone is one of the most underrated skills a person can have. That's what made Bonds so impossible to pitch to in the early part of the decade because of his ability to know the strike zone.

The problem with having all of those at bats is that more often than not you are creating extra outs. Ichiro has led the league in at bats in 6 of his 9 years. He also has finished in the top 10 in regards to outs made every single year of his career.

Not striking out much is a positive since he doesn't ground into many double plays at all. His inability to walk actually hurts his OBP more than all the at bats.

I don't even have Ichiro in my top 10 as far as active hitters go. I'm taking at least the following 10 before Ichiro.

Albert Pujols
Manny Ramirez
Hanley Ramirez
Joe Mauer
Alex Rodriguez
Miguel Cabrera
Chase Utley
David Wright
Justin Morneau
Mark Teixeira

I agree with some of the choices on the list, but I would get rid of Utley and Texeira. Hands down Pujols is the best and I dont think you even have to know anything about baseball to know that. I do find it funny that you put Hanley up there considering he strikes out a lot, and in your top 5 I think I would replace Hanley with Ichiro.

jdc12

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I agree with some of the choices on the list, but I would get rid of Utley and Texeira. Hands down Pujols is the best and I dont think you even have to know anything about baseball to know that. I do find it funny that you put Hanley up there considering he strikes out a lot, and in your top 5 I think I would replace Hanley with Ichiro.
I don't have a problem with people striking out. Some of the greatest players that ever played struck out a ton (Reggie Jackson, Mickey Mantle, Mike Schmidt). I also base people's value as a hitter on more than just batting average, that's why I'm not so high on Ichiro.

DJ

BGOL Legend
Certified Pussy Poster
I don't have a problem with people striking out. Some of the greatest players that ever played struck out a ton (Reggie Jackson, Mickey Mantle, Mike Schmidt). I also base people's value as a hitter on more than just batting average, that's why I'm not so high on Ichiro.

Understandable, good convo about baseball, and that is hard to find here on BGOL.

On the flipside I do like that rookie Florida just brought up, Chris Coghlan, I think that kid is going to be really good, I cant wait until he gets to play a full season next year and show what he can really do.

jdc12

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Understandable, good convo about baseball, and that is hard to find here on BGOL.

On the flipside I do like that rookie Florida just brought up, Chris Coghlan, I think that kid is going to be really good, I cant wait until he gets to play a full season next year and show what he can really do.
I also wish there were more baseball heads on here myself, since I spend far more time over the course of the year watching baseball than any other sport. I'm also a big fan of Coghlan. I'm wondering what they are going to do with him next year, since as of now he's played primarily out of position while up in the majors.

DJ

BGOL Legend
Certified Pussy Poster
I also wish there were more baseball heads on here myself, since I spend far more time over the course of the year watching baseball than any other sport. I'm also a big fan of Coghlan. I'm wondering what they are going to do with him next year, since as of now he's played primarily out of position while up in the majors.

Yeah they really have no spot for him, he would be a waste as a utility guy. Maybe they can find a spot for him in the outfield. I dont know what it is but the Florida scouts are amazing when it comes to picking out young talent.

keysersoze

Star
Registered
To the guy who says Ichiro is not a better offensive player? Is he forgetting that dude just got 2,000 hits and he came over from Japan when he was 27. I have a feeling Ichiro may retire with more hits in the MLB (Ichiro has more hits than Jeter if you count the 1200 he has in Japan).

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player/mlb/Y_Sports_MLB/15421391;_ylt=AkMjjDwbrhZk4GNdw4.y7i05nYcB

If it means anything I am almost sure that if ARod retires with the Yankees - he will have more hits than Jeter.

RunawaySlave

Zeitgeist
BGOL Investor
You guys are missing ghe point. The point is that Jeter has done all this stuff as a NY Yankee. Sure there are more prolific hitters. Way better. That's not the point. No YANKEES are more prolific (at hitting) than Jeter. And on a team with over 20 championships (the Yankee fans can give you the exact number, lol), that IS something to celebrate for all baseball fans.

As good as those listed players are, if any of those cats (including Ichiro) had to play their ENTIRE career under the pressure and spotlight of Steinbrenner, it's highly doubtful they'd even be in the discussion. Might've cracked under the pressure a long time ago. Hell AROD might not even be in the league anymore. Remember Cleon Jones?