Chill Spots in Philly(Ongoing)

TurellSmith

Support BGOL
Registered
I don't want to go in to detail but do a google search Philly and rude people. Just experience the ignorance yourself and come visit. I am heading to Florida for nicer people and nicer weather.

No brotherly love?

Tell us your story...

Just came back from south Florida and saw fine feminine women all over the place. I come back to philly and I see fat fucked up women everywhere. Its like a parallel universe. Only problem is is that everybody seems like they are on drugs down there.

coolie569

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Me and wifey had a ball in your great city. In fact we had so much fun we went back this past weekend as well. The clubs were cool nobody wilding out, no ice grills from the dudes in attendance the ladies were crazy cool. Most of them seemed to realize that a dance sometimes is just a dance, it doesn't mean i'm trying to take you home or get with you. :lol:

The first weekend we stayed at the Double Tree downtown. Cool hotel, great location, everything within walking distance. Parking was included so I just parked the whip and walked or took cabs to get around.

Couple of things I noticed though about Philly. Yall definitely have your own sense of style. The bald brothers with the dye on their scalps, then they have that shit lined up perfectly. That shit kind of had me :lol:. But the more I thought about it I was like fuck it if it works for them more power to them.

Cats riding motorcycles with no helmets had me like :eek:. I take it yall don't have a helmet law out there?

Then this last weekend we stayed at the Sheraton also downtown but a little further out but still cool, room was spacious great views. The bel hop looked out on the parking too. Shit should have been $40 a night but he looked and it didn't cost me a dime.

The weather was real mild this time around and the brothers came out in the Capri jean shorts. :confused: Yall are going to have to explain that one to me.

We ate at the Morning Glory Diner, Food was slamming damn near the best cup of coffee I think i've ever had. :yes:

We also ate at this diner called Sabrina's the stuffed French Toast was the shit. The servings were humongous. Wifey thought it was overrated though says they burnt her omelette.

What's up with these restaurants making you wait outside in the cold though:smh: That shit is not cool:angry:.

Thanks to all the brothers for their suggestions and advice. If any of yall are ever in NYC I hope to return the hospitality.

Peace

TurellSmith

Support BGOL
Registered
Me and wifey had a ball in your great city. In fact we had so much fun we went back this past weekend as well. The clubs were cool nobody wilding out, no ice grills from the dudes in attendance the ladies were crazy cool. Most of them seemed to realize that a dance sometimes is just a dance, it doesn't mean i'm trying to take you home or get with you. :lol:

The first weekend we stayed at the Double Tree downtown. Cool hotel, great location, everything within walking distance. Parking was included so I just parked the whip and walked or took cabs to get around.

Couple of things I noticed though about Philly. Yall definitely have your own sense of style. The bald brothers with the dye on their scalps, then they have that shit lined up perfectly. That shit kind of had me :lol:. But the more I thought about it I was like fuck it if it works for them more power to them.

Cats riding motorcycles with no helmets had me like :eek:. I take it yall don't have a helmet law out there?

Then this last weekend we stayed at the Sheraton also downtown but a little further out but still cool, room was spacious great views. The bel hop looked out on the parking too. Shit should have been $40 a night but he looked and it didn't cost me a dime.

The weather was real mild this time around and the brothers came out in the Capri jean shorts. :confused: Yall are going to have to explain that one to me.

We ate at the Morning Glory Diner, Food was slamming damn near the best cup of coffee I think i've ever had. :yes:

We also ate at this diner called Sabrina's the stuffed French Toast was the shit. The servings were humongous. Wifey thought it was overrated though says they burnt her omelette.

What's up with these restaurants making you wait outside in the cold though:smh: That shit is not cool:angry:.

Thanks to all the brothers for their suggestions and advice. If any of yall are ever in NYC I hope to return the hospitality.

Peace

Glad you had a good time. Its mad moist nuckas in center city

jdjay

Potential Star
Registered
SORRY BUT PAT'S AND GENO'S STEAKS SUCK! THEY ARE JUST ADVERTISED MORE THAN ANY OTHERS. TONY LUKE'S IS MUCH BETTER. OR ISKABIBBLES on SOUTH ST!

coolie569

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
SORRY BUT PAT'S AND GENO'S STEAKS SUCK! THEY ARE JUST ADVERTISED MORE THAN ANY OTHERS. TONY LUKE'S IS MUCH BETTER. OR ISKABIBBLES on SOUTH ST!

For Real For Real. Geno's was damned offensive with all the Anti Mumia Abu Jamal shit they got advertised all over the joint. The steaks were not good at all.

Now Tony Lukes was the shit. Took more then 20 seconds. They actually prepared your shit fresh. :yes:

UltimateLurker

Star
OG Investor
For Real For Real. Geno's was damned offensive with all the Anti Mumia Abu Jamal shit they got advertised all over the joint. The steaks were not good at all.

Now Tony Lukes was the shit. Took more then 20 seconds. They actually prepared your shit fresh. :yes:

i hate pat and geno's, never ate there don't plan to

doggish_098

Rising Star
Registered
the center city sips happy hours start tomorrow every wednesday until the end of august
sips2011header.jpg

check the link for the locations
http://www.centercityphila.org/life/SipsPartic.php

phanatic

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If you are coming down in the next two weeks for the Welcome America festival/Jay-z concert thing, come a day early and leave after the holiday. Don't drive in downtown center city and check septa.org for the regional rail schedule and take a trip to my neighborhood, Manayunk. During the day, you will find one of the best lunch menus at The Cactus and a great beer selection at Manayunk Tavern. For a chill outdoor atmosphere, hit the Brew Pub for outside seating, a sushi bar, and a good burger.

Oh I almost forgot about The Goat's Beard. It just opened and the owner is real cool, and the steak macaroni and cheese is amazing.

PhillyTheKid

Rising Star
Registered
Manayunk is a hip little part of the city. Lots of cool places to eat especially along the water. You can also check out old city. You got some cool bars there.

In my opinion stay away from South Street. Too many knucklehead kids roam down there.

Warm Daddies is a good spot if you like jazz/soul music. Food is good there too.

Last edited:

phanatic

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Manayunk is a hip little part of the city. Lots of cool places to eat especially along the water. You can also check out old city. You got some cool bars there.

In my opinion stay away from South Street. Too many knucklehead kids roam down there.

Warm Daddies is a good spot if you like jazz/soul music. Food is good there too.

If you hit South St, go strictly for the cheesesteaks and fries at Ishkabbiles...and bounce. It's a teen hangout now, and by hangout, I mean they just stand around not buying shit from the stores. Just standing there, occupying space. Stupid fucking kids.

mad_bomber

BGOL Billionaire
BGOL Investor
If you hit South St, go strictly for the cheesesteaks and fries at Ishkabbiles...and bounce. It's a teen hangout now, and by hangout, I mean they just stand around not buying shit from the stores. Just standing there, occupying space. Stupid fucking kids.

Damn, really? I'm going to Philly in a couple weeks. Was told I should check out South Street. So I shouldn't?

doggish_098

Rising Star
Registered

no trip to south street is complete without a few margaritas from copa and on a nice summer down getting there early posting up on the deck at fat tuesdays all day.

South Street today is no different than it was years and years ago always has been a young element to it and always will be. where else do young people have to go "hang out"

I guess the key to south street and Philly in general you have to know when to go and when to avoid.

i'm intersted in checking out the night market with all the food trucks they have coming up on south street. saw the pics from the one last week on Ogontz there was a lot of chicks out there.

PHILADELPHIA-NIGHT-MARKET-300x269.jpg

phanatic

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
no trip to south street is complete without a few margaritas from copa and on a nice summer down getting there early posting up on the deck at fat tuesdays all day.

South Street today is no different than it was years and years ago always has been a young element to it and always will be. where else do young people have to go "hang out"

I guess the key to south street and Philly in general you have to know when to go and when to avoid.

i'm intersted in checking out the night market with all the food trucks they have coming up on south street. saw the pics from the one last week on Ogontz there was a lot of chicks out there.

PHILADELPHIA-NIGHT-MARKET-300x269.jpg

It's not so much the kids as it is their behavior. We used to go down there at 17 years old, get pizza, go to the stores, talk to girls, and not fuck with people. Some of these youngins go down there looking for trouble. Dude should go to experience it, and get a real cheesesteak and not that Geno's or Pats horseshit. Don't let the popularity fool you, they make subpar food.

Margarita Mondays at Copa is nice. Adult crowd, no nonsense, strong drinks, and some professional ladies(not prostitutes, I mean women with careers out for happy hour).

phanatic

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Damn, really? I'm going to Philly in a couple weeks. Was told I should check out South Street. So I shouldn't?

Go dude. Get a 190 Octane from Fat Tuesdays...matter fact, get three. Whatever you do, don't go to Pats and Genos. I'm waging war on those fuckers, especially Genos with all their fucking political stances being blasted in my face. Sell your dead cow and keep it professional, keep your politics and religion out of a damn cheesesteak place. Ishkabibbles or bust...Lorenzos for pizza but it only tastes good when you're really drunk. How many people are coming down with you? Are you driving?

mad_bomber

BGOL Billionaire
BGOL Investor
Go dude. Get a 190 Octane from Fat Tuesdays...matter fact, get three. Whatever you do, don't go to Pats and Genos. I'm waging war on those fuckers, especially Genos with all their fucking political stances being blasted in my face. Sell your dead cow and keep it professional, keep your politics and religion out of a damn cheesesteak place. Ishkabibbles or bust...Lorenzos for pizza but it only tastes good when you're really drunk. How many people are coming down with you? Are you driving?

Going by myself. I have some fam there. Been there before but I missed South Street. Can't be worse then Hollywood or Venice Beach as far as craziness goes. If it's wack I'll just bounce. Sorry, but I went to Pats when I was there :D. Shit was good but, what do I know I'm from LA. Lookin to hit Tony Lukes this time.

doggish_098

Rising Star
Registered
Going by myself. I have some fam there. Been there before but I missed South Street. Can't be worse then Hollywood or Venice Beach as far as craziness goes. If it's wack I'll just bounce. Sorry, but I went to Pats when I was there :D. Shit was good but, what do I know I'm from LA. Lookin to hit Tony Lukes this time.

If you fuck with swine get a roast pork sandwich with sharp provolone and brocoli rabe

OnSlaught

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If you are coming down in the next two weeks for the Welcome America festival/Jay-z concert thing, come a day early and leave after the holiday. Don't drive in downtown center city and check septa.org for the regional rail schedule and take a trip to my neighborhood, Manayunk. During the day, you will find one of the best lunch menus at The Cactus and a great beer selection at Manayunk Tavern. For a chill outdoor atmosphere, hit the Brew Pub for outside seating, a sushi bar, and a good burger.

Oh I almost forgot about The Goat's Beard. It just opened and the owner is real cool, and the steak macaroni and cheese is amazing.

Damn man, we neighbors. I live in East Falls. Just bought an investment property in East Falls as well right off of Ridge Ave. I love the Falls around this time of year because of all the activity and energy from people biking, running, walking, and fishing. East Falls has some really good spots too. The Tap Room on Midvale is pretty good as well as En Riva (Italian spot right on Kelly Dr. Happy hour is crazy at En Riva plus you can chill, and sit outside and people watch. Johnny Mananas is cool too (white dude that owns the spot hires mostly good looking black girls so it's cool with me plus they just renovated the place).

I say for what it's worth, Manayunk and East Falls are two of the city's best neighborhoods that has a nice combination of not being too far and not being too entrenched in the downtown/Center City chaos. Nice little medium/Goldie Locks zone if you will...:yes:

phanatic

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Damn man, we neighbors. I live in East Falls. Just bought an investment property in East Falls as well right off of Ridge Ave. I love the Falls around this time of year because of all the activity and energy from people biking, running, walking, and fishing. East Falls has some really good spots too. The Tap Room on Midvale is pretty good as well as En Riva (Italian spot right on Kelly Dr. Happy hour is crazy at En Riva plus you can chill, and sit outside and people watch. Johnny Mananas is cool too (white dude that owns the spot hires mostly good looking black girls so it's cool with me plus they just renovated the place).

I say for what it's worth, Manayunk and East Falls are two of the city's best neighborhoods that has a nice combination of not being too far and not being too entrenched in the downtown/Center City chaos. Nice little medium/Goldie Locks zone if you will...:yes:

I will...and do sir.

Tap Room has that crab macaroni and cheese :yes: I live in the heart of Manayunk right off Main St. I'll never get a DUI because even the farthest bar(Brew Pub) is a 10 minute walking. There's something for everyone in this neighborhood...Italian, Asian, Indian, almost every cuisine...and that goes for the women too.

RepostKing

Back up Modrator
Registered

I shoudda bought in East Falls. But I bought in Fairmount which is cool tool I got a sick deal on a brownstone when the market was on its head. I live 3 blocks from the art museum. I bike or run the steps in the morning. Farimount ave has nice resturants. Its a safe area and established. He can do the Penitentiary tour which I think is year round but crazy on Halloween. I really though about east falls because my friends owns the Burbon Blue which I go to often but those hills in the winter time are outrageous. But it does have a nice lil date spot vibe out there. Fairmount is older but suits me fine cuz I'm 41

mad_bomber

BGOL Billionaire
BGOL Investor
My favorite sandwich at Tony Lukes.......the roast pork Italian. :yes:

I'm gettin the cheesesteak. I had the roast pork with provolone & broccoli rabe at Dinics on my first trip to Philly. I didn't like it. Could be me :dunno:. Other than that, all the other food I had in Philly was great. Can't wait to get some Bassetts ice cream and just hit that Reading Terminal in general. Nawmean

Jackdarippa

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Anybody recommend any cool spots for young urban professionals? I'm talking like chill lounges not no hood spots. I'm leaving the A and getting sent up North...work. :hmm: Been up there a few times mostly to Center City but I didn't really see the same level of Black professionals as I see in Atlanta. I know it's Atlanta but Philly has a large Black population also..so where do those people go for happy hour?

Alumni

Lover of huge titties
Platinum Member
I shoudda bought in East Falls. But I bought in Fairmount which is cool tool I got a sick deal on a brownstone when the market was on its head. I live 3 blocks from the art museum. I bike or run the steps in the morning. Farimount ave has nice resturants. Its a safe area and established. He can do the Penitentiary tour which I think is year round but crazy on Halloween. I really though about east falls because my friends owns the Burbon Blue which I go to often but those hills in the winter time are outrageous. But it does have a nice lil date spot vibe out there. Fairmount is older but suits me fine cuz I'm 41

You, my friend, are my gotdamn neighbor. :eek: Now every time I walk over to Mug Shots (I liked the vibe in the old spot much better than the new spot), I'm going to be lookin' for a 41 year old cat that looks like he posts on BGOL. :lol:

On a side note, if heads are going to South St. and not getting a cheese stake from Jim's... slap yourself.

Noir

Support BGOL
Registered
On a side note, if heads are going to South St. and not getting a cheese stake from Jim's... slap yourself.

I don't even live in Philly and know that the best spots for cheese steak are either Tony Luke's or Pat's (apart from the spots in the hood that the tourists would never go to - LOL).

Jim's is like the McDonald's of Cheese steak, popular for it's location, but you can get better quality elsewhere.

I am in Philly a lot (going back in November most likely), what are good spots to go for good beer and to meet folk? Nice chill spots, with a good mixed crowd where conversation is focused on, not what people are wearing.

Last edited:

Alumni

Lover of huge titties
Platinum Member
I don't even live in Philly and know that the best spots for cheese steak are either Tony Luke's or Pat's (apart from the spots in the hood that the tourists would never go to - LOL).

Jim's is like the McDonald's of Cheese steak, popular for it's location, but you can get better quality elsewhere.

I am in Philly a lot (going back in November most likely), what are good spots to go for good beer and to meet folk? Nice chill spots, with a good mixed crowd where conversation is focused on, not what people are wearing.

I couldn't disagree with you more on this, Noir. You said Pat's? Pat's!? Nah, Fam. I grew up in Philly and for my money, Jim's is the best place in city. However, I'll agree to disagree and we'll both leave happy.

I can't speak on a good place for beer since I don't drink, but as for meeting people... 1st First Friday and PBNC events are two good places to start.

doggish_098

Rising Star
Registered
I couldn't disagree with you more on this, Noir. You said Pat's? Pat's!? Nah, Fam. I grew up in Philly and for my money, Jim's is the best place in city. However, I'll agree to disagree and we'll both leave happy.

I can't speak on a good place for beer since I don't drink, but as for meeting people... 1st First Friday and PBNC events are two good places to start.

jims is the best of the tourist steak spots there are better places to a cheese steak if you care to venture into some of the hoods.

roast pork with the sharp provolone and broccoli rabe is my new sandwich though

l.jpg

Alumni

Lover of huge titties
Platinum Member
jims is the best of the tourist steak spots there are better places to a cheese steak if you care to venture into some of the hoods.

roast pork with the sharp provolone and broccoli rabe is my new sandwich though

l.jpg

Fam., I'm from Philly. North Philly to be exact. I've been to a lot of cheese stake places. For me, Jim's is the best.

For those that don't know, Jim's has 3 other locations besides the one on South St.

Noir

Support BGOL
Registered
I couldn't disagree with you more on this, Noir. You said Pat's? Pat's!? Nah, Fam. I grew up in Philly and for my money, Jim's is the best place in city. However, I'll agree to disagree and we'll both leave happy

Fam., I'm from Philly. North Philly to be exact. I've been to a lot of cheese stake places. For me, Jim's is the best.

For those that don't know, Jim's has 3 other locations besides the one on South St.

Okay, I am willing to be open minded - I will try Jim's the next time I am in Philly to give it a fair shot again. I mean there is nothing wrong with a cheese steak taste-off (apart from 3000 calories) :lol:

Philli

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Anybody recommend any cool spots for young urban professionals? I'm talking like chill lounges not no hood spots. I'm leaving the A and getting sent up North...work. :hmm: Been up there a few times mostly to Center City but I didn't really see the same level of Black professionals as I see in Atlanta. I know it's Atlanta but Philly has a large Black population also..so where do those people go for happy hour?

Philly seriously lacks a young urban professional scene. Trust me when I tell you that you will miss just about everything from ATL except the food.

doggish_098

Rising Star
Registered
Philly seriously lacks a young urban professional scene. Trust me when I tell you that you will miss just about everything from ATL except the food.

if you are looking for young urban professionals to vibe with your best bet is to go out early in the week like monday through wednesday.

phanatic

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Center City or Rittenhouse or The Piazza in Northern Liberties.

XXXplosive

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

When I was in Philly a couple of years ago Max's was on point in terms of their cheese steaks.
I think it's in north Philly
Straight hood spot from what I remember though
Even sold 40oz bottles in the cooler :lol: