Charlotte, NC

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Looking to move in the next 1-3 years to be closer to family and telework fulltime. Where are some good areas to move. Looking to start a family and all that good stuff..lol

Are there any new construction in the QC? Any places close to the downtown city area? Living in DC has spoiled me lol

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm on the North side, University area, been here for 12 years.

I own my crib, 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath, garage, single family home.

Keep posting your questions as you review the videos and I will try to help best I can.

Thanks alot man. Trying to get as much information as possible as this will be my girl first time buying a home.

What areas in the city limits are growing? Are there any affluent neighborhoods where mostly professional blacks live?

I noticed in the video you posted there are areas near downtown or in close proximity that is experiencing gentrification which I see going on all over the south and lived through in DC (one of the reasons I bought my first place in the city limits and not the burbs).

doe moe

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Best way to get started and learn the city, go to Google Maps and pull up the Charlotte beltway (I485) everything in he loop is pretty much within city limits. When you get past I485 you out in the burbs.

Also check out local news stations, top three are WSOCTV, WBTV and WCNC. All do live broadcasts so you can watch online. That's what helped me learn the area quickly.

I lived in the DMV for a good while so I know what you mean.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Best way to get started and learn the city, go to Google Maps and pull up the Charlotte beltway (I485) everything in he loop is pretty much within city limits. When you get past I485 you out in the burbs.

Also check out local news stations, top three are WSOCTV, WBTV and WCNC. All do live broadcasts so you can watch online. That's what helped me learn the area quickly.

I lived in the DMV for a good while so I know what you mean.

Ok thanks alot man. I definitely will be reaching out with more questions. I think in November we will start looking at some areas and as I come home ( I am from columbia, sc which is a hour away) I will start looking at a few more places. I have some family in the area too and a few friends, but all the information is appreaciated.

What made you leave the DMV??

doe moe

Rising Star
Platinum Member
North, large mixed group, mostly black and white

South, mostly white, old money, wealthy black folks

East, mostly hispanics, some white and blacks

West, mostly black folks, low income, areas on the west side close to the city getting heavily gentrified.

doe moe

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Ok thanks alot man. I definitely will be reaching out with more questions. I think in November we will start looking at some areas and as I come home ( I am from columbia, sc which is a hour away) I will start looking at a few more places. I have some family in the area too and a few friends, but all the information is appreaciated.

What made you leave the DMV??
DMV was too packed, long ass drives on the beltway day in and day out. Prices skyrocketing like crazy for basic things.

I always made good money working in tech so it's not like I couldn't afford to stay there.

I finally decided I wanted a crib I was in my late 20's at the time.

I heard a lot about Charlotte, so I drove down a few times to hang out and look around. Easy 6 hour drive from 95 to 85.

I loved Charlotte, that's when I started looking for a crib. Funny thing is I didn't know a soul here, no family no friends, nothing.

Moved down solo now I got it made, decent coworkers, lots of friends and some of my family considering moving this way too.

doe moe

Rising Star
Platinum Member
This step helped me a lot when considering moving here.

First I would pull up google map view of Charlotte. Because I knew I would end up working downtown because of the work I do I started focusing on areas near and close to downtown. In this age of information I spent countless hours, cross referencing those areas using www.realtor.com.

Here is a good example, Zoom in on the google map of downtown Charlotte, you'll see an area named Bellmont. Go to realtor.com and search for Bellmont Charlotte, NC. This will show you homes in that are and what prices are. Keep notes of the places you like.

Then get down to the street view and look at the neighborhoods. By the time you come through Charlotte it will already feel like a second home because of all the research you have done. At least that how it was for me.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
DMV was too packed, long ass drives on the beltway day in and day out. Prices skyrocketing like crazy for basic things.

I always made good money working in tech so it's not like I couldn't afford to stay there.

I finally decided I wanted a crib I was in my late 20's at the time.

I heard a lot about Charlotte, so I drove down a few times to hang out and look around. Easy 6 hour drive from 95 to 85.

I loved Charlotte, that's when I started looking for a crib. Funny thing is I didn't know a soul here, no family no friends, nothing.

Moved down solo now I got it made, decent coworkers, lots of friends and some of my family considering moving this way too.

FACTS. I think that's why I like it. Not to far from DC and my family is like a hour away. That's what's up.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

First I would pull up google map view of Charlotte. Because I knew I would end up working downtown because of the work I do I started focusing on areas near and close to downtown. In this age of information I spent countless hours, cross referencing those areas using www.realtor.com.

Here is a good example, Zoom in on the google map of downtown Charlotte, you'll see an area named Bellmont. Go to realtor.com and search for Bellmont Charlotte, NC. This will show you homes in that are and what prices are. Keep notes of the places you like.

Then get down to the street view and look at the neighborhoods. By the time you come through Charlotte it will already feel like a second home because of all the research you have done. At least that how it was for me.

Bro thanks alot! This has been helpful.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Thanks! Will listen. I am going to assume he said YES because of the cost of living, but you must move to either a progressive city in the south or a city with a majority black population.

I will disagree with his take on SC. Columbia is a good place for blacks esp. if you are a professional. Very progressive city (Mayor Benjamin who is black) and Jim Clyburn's districts run all through Columbia (Richland County). It's definitely not a comparison to Charlotte, but it's a decent city that is really growing (I am not saying this because it's my home), but I have lived in NC (Winston Salem) and in DC (18+ years).

Last edited:

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

How things coming along? In the process of looking at cribs now. Any good areas you can recommend for new builds?

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
In the process of looking at cribs now. Any good areas you would recommend? Wifey wants a new build home and our max is probably $800,000.

doe moe

Rising Star
Platinum Member
In the process of looking at cribs now. Any good areas you would recommend? Wifey wants a new build home and our max is probably $800,000.

North Side within I-485 is mixed with mexicans, black folks, white folks and east indians, parts closer to downtown are getting gentrified heavily.

South Side within I-485 and farther points south into Indian Land is where the folks with old and long money live.

East Side within I-485 is where most mexicans and black folks that are middle class live. Some areas can be hood, parts closer to downtown are getting gentrified heavily.

West Side within I-485 is the hood, parts closer to downtown are getting gentrified heavily.

Last edited:

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
North Side within I-485 is mixed with mexicans, black folks, white folks and east indians, parts closer to downtown are getting gentrified heavily.

South Side within I-485 and farther points south into Indian Land is where the folks with old and long money live.

East Side within I-485 is where most mexicans and black folks that are middle class live. Some areas can be hood, parts closer to downtown are getting gentrified heavily.

West Side within I-485 is the hood, parts closer to downtown are getting gentrified heavily.

Thanks! What's your thoughts about Huntersville?

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If you

Huntersville is dope!

My favorite Walmart is in Huntersville, I also like to get away from time to time (staycation) and stay at a couple hotels out there.

Dope. How far is it from downtown? It's still in mecklenburg county but outside the beltway?

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Some parts share Mecklenburg, other parts do not. Huntersville is right on the border.

About 20 to 30 minutes to downtown depending on traffic.

Gotcha thanks! Man if you see some new homes in the area, let me know...I have a real estate agent, but I always like to hear from those who live in the area...

BlackGoku

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Gotcha thanks! Man if you see some new homes in the area, let me know...I have a real estate agent, but I always like to hear from those who live in the area...

Good luck finding a house, i'm not to far from Huntersville up on the Northwest Side and I can tell you right now that its very hard finding a house in charlotte or anywhere in the metro area..do you need to be close to Uptown for work? For 800k, you should be able to find something nice in Huntersville. For 500k you should be able to find something, but home prices are over inflated right now due to scarcity in the market down here, im getting multiple calls a day from people trying to buy my house. Once these starbucks started poppin up around here...well, you know the rest

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Good luck finding a house, i'm not to far from Huntersville up on the Northwest Side and I can tell you right now that its very hard finding a house in charlotte or anywhere in the metro area..do you need to be close to Uptown for work? For 800k, you should be able to find something nice in Huntersville. For 500k you should be able to find something, but home prices are over inflated right now due to scarcity in the market down here, im getting multiple calls a day from people trying to buy my house. Once these starbucks started poppin up around here...well, you know the rest
Thanks Man! Yes I know about the starbucks popping up as that's usually a good indication the neighborhood is good.. LOL I live in DC right now and my crib has all kind of stores popping up and the value of my crib has increased by 50%...
Yeah me and the wife both telework...I will be working from home full time and she will have to commute back and forth to Atlanta a few times a month (company paying to fly)....
So I guess I can assume Huntersville is a decent area? I am also looking at South Charlotte as well....Preferably in Meck. County...

God's Gift

The best of the majority of you niggas.
BGOL Investor
Thanks Man! Yes I know about the starbucks popping up as that's usually a good indication the neighborhood is good.. LOL I live in DC right now and my crib has all kind of stores popping up and the value of my crib has increased by 50%...
Yeah me and the wife both telework...I will be working from home full time and she will have to commute back and forth to Atlanta a few times a month (company paying to fly)....
So I guess I can assume Huntersville is a decent area? I am also looking at South Charlotte as well....Preferably in Meck. County...

If you both telework, why are you hellbent on NC when sc ( Indian land, fort mill, rock hill are within 20 min of CLT) think silver springs or upper marlboro to DC.

check out city-data.com forum section to ask locals questions as well as to read transplant experiences. Check out the Charlotte observer and the Herald online sites for local newspaper reporting.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If you both telework, why are you hellbent on NC when sc ( Indian land, fort mill, rock hill are within 20 min of CLT) think silver springs or upper marlboro to DC.

check out city-data.com forum section to ask locals questions as well as to read transplant experiences. Check out the Charlotte observer and the Herald online sites for local newspaper reporting.
Yeah I’m from Columbia, sc so I know that side very well. Yeah Indian land maybe an option.

BlackGoku

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Huntersville is decent..and to God's Gift point, SC is a viable option as well...cheaper property taxes. That entire area down there is growing. You could also check Union County but it seems like everyone lives there now. Do you have any children? Union County Schools are going to be better than CMS schools overall.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Huntersville is decent..and to God's Gift point, SC is a viable option as well...cheaper property taxes. That entire area down there is growing. You could also check Union County but it seems like everyone lives there now. Do you have any children? Union County Schools are going to be better than CMS schools overall.
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah no kids, but we are working on that LOL I also heard Union Co. was decent as well...

God's Gift

BGOL Investor
@DC_Dude...

Im gonna shit on your hometown but respectfully... Columbia is a wasteland as far as city life. My opinion is biased as I live in York county now, but am from the north. I see growth, opportunity and changing demographics without the sprawl in charlotte.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
@DC_Dude...

Im gonna shit on your hometown but respectfully... Columbia is a wasteland as far as city life. My opinion is biased as I live in York county now, but am from the north. I see growth, opportunity and changing demographics without the sprawl in charlotte.

LOL - bro no harm taken, but the Metro as we call it is and will always be my home....Yeah it's pretty bad, but it's alot of potential here...Trying to get people to see it, but I think some of the moves the city is making, we will see major changes in the next 10 - 20 years...Always in amazement when I come home to see all the new development...They are building homes like crazy and the downtown area keeps getting new stuff added every day...The one thing we have here that Charlotte doesn't is a major SEC school and 2 HBCU's....There is alot of opportunity, but still a good ways to go....

Hell, even Big Gipp gave us a shout out and said how he was shocked to see how much Columbia has grown since his last time coming here..Good interview also...

God's Gift

BGOL Investor
@DC_Dude charlotte region has Johnson C. Smith and Clinton College.

Columbia coool spots.... 5 points, Chayz Lounge and Goat's.