Black Man of the Day: Dwayne McDuffie (Comic Book Visionary Milestone) Update: MILESTONE doc on HBO MAX 7/29/22!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
_G7I6594.jpg

Dwayne Glenn McDuffie (February 20, 1962 – February 21, 2011) was an American writer of comic books and television, known for creating the animated television series Static Shock, writing and producing the animated series Justice League Unlimited and Ben 10, and co-founding the pioneering minority-owned-and-operated comic-book company Milestone Media.​

In 1996, McDuffie won the Golden Apple Award from his alma mater the Roeper School for the "use of popular art to promote and advance human worth and dignity."

In 2003, McDuffie and co-writer Alan Burnett were awarded the Humanitas Prize in Children's Animation for the "Jimmy" episode of Static Shock, about gun violence.

In both 2003 and 2004, McDuffie was nominated, with other Static Shock creators, for daytime Emmy awards.

In 2005, he was nominated for the Writers Guild of America award in animation, with Rich Fogel and John Ridley for the "Starcrossed" episode of Justice League.

In 2008, McDuffie was voted 'Favorite Breakout Talent' in the Wizard Fan Awards in Wizard Magazine.

In 2009, McDuffie won Comic Con International's Inkpot Award.

In 2011 posthumously McDuffie was awarded by the Writers Guild of America, West its Animation Writers Caucus’ annual Animation Writing Award.

Last edited by a moderator:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
McDuffie wrote a number of direct-to-DVD animated films featuring DC Comics characters - including Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x18f0f8" allowfullscreen></iframe><br /><a href="" target="_blank">Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths (2010) Pt.1</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/Sidney_Tucker" target="_blank">Sidney_Tucker</a></i>

and Justice League: Doom.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/q0MSuTJNDdc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>​

He scripted the direct-to-DVD adaptation of All-Star Superman, which was released one day after his death. Justice League: Doom was released posthumously in 2012.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/u6PZUsD9Ygk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
“Catching Lightning in a Bottle (and Other Moral Victories)”
February 4th, 2013 | Posted by Eugene Son in Columns and Essays

Dwayne wrote this, explaining-

“Catching Lightning in a Bottle” is both an introduction to the STATIC SHOCK: TRIAL BY FIRE compilation, it also sort of serves as a FAQ about the origins of the character.

Catching Lightning in a Bottle (and Other Moral Victories)

If you’re a STATIC fan from back in the day, it’s good to see you again. I know we’ve got a lot of catching up to do but first I want to welcome our new readers, who probably only know about Static from the TV show. I’m going to take a moment and bring them up to speed. I know, I know but we’ve waited over three years for this moment, what’s another few hundred words? Just bear with me, won’t you?

I have a good friend who is fond of repeating the aphorism, “moral victories don’t count.” I couldn’t disagree more, not only do they count but in the long run, they’re the only kind that matter. Case in point: Milestone Comics. In 1992, I joined forces with three extraordinary men, together we set out to change the face of the comic book industry. This proved to be somewhat more difficult than we had anticipated.

Although Milestone’s sales were always respectable, we never set the world on fire. Our books lacked the speculator heat and collectable foil covers that drove the market in those days. Moreover a small but vocal group of people, including some readers, retailers and fellow professionals, found our very existence suspect. All sorts of bizarre, even sinister, motives were attributed to us. We battled against those impressions when we had the time but mostly we kept our eye on the ball. We figured our product would speak for itself, if we got it out there. So we did, every month for five years. Good comics, exactly the way we wanted to do them. Moral victory, folks.

Milestone’s story is an adventure worthy of any of our heroes. Against enormous odds we set out to accomplish something both unprecedented and important. The results were 250 comics that respected our readers’ intelligence, from a company dedicated to the idea that if you want fresh water, you have to draw from new wells. STATIC is character-driven, exciting, inventive and above all fun, as good an example of our values as one could choose. It’s a particularly fitting standard-bearer for what we hope will be Milestone’s 21st century renaissance. With the rebirth of STATIC as STATIC SHOCK!, the adventure continues.

STATIC SHOCK!: TRIAL BY FIRE is the long-overdue collection of the first four issues of the late, lamented STATIC monthly comic, created by Milestone and distributed by our long-time partners at DC Comics. In my years as Milestone’s Editor-In-Chief, I’ve made my share of mistakes, ask anybody. But on occasion, I’ve also shown flashes of inexplicable brilliance. STATIC was the occasion for a number of such flashes. I had already written the series bible (which included beautiful character designs by co-creator Denys Cowan) as well as Static’s origin story arc for the first four issues when I belatedly realized that there was no way I could write four books a month (I was already writing HARDWARE and ICON and co-writing BLOOD SYNDICATE) while simultaneously learning how to run a comic book company. I needed help. That’s when I had my first really good idea.

I’ve known Robert L. Washington III since he was about eight years old. Even as a child he was one of the most brilliantly creative people I’d ever met. I’d caught up with Bob again after he grew up and moved to New York. Only a couple years earlier, I’d introduced him around at Marvel Comics. He’d had a couple of nibbles but hadn’t yet landed a major assignment. All the better for me.

Bob took my outline and ran with it, adding his own totally unique spin to STATIC. In addition to frequently topping my one-liners with better ones, he reworked our villain Hotstreak (you probably know him as F-Stop), adding the very cool gimmick that Static deduces in issue #2. He created Tarmack out of whole cloth. He replaced Static’s brother with two sisters (the second sister seems to have gone the way of Richie Cunningham’s big brother on HAPPY DAYS). He gifted Virgil with his own encyclopedic knowledge of comics, sci-fi, gaming and other fan-boy ephemera. And when I told him that I wanted this series to be as much about Virgil and his friends as about Static and his adventures, Bob made me watch about 18 hours of DIGRASSI JR. HIGH. Much cribbing ensued.

After co-scripting the story you’re about to read, I left STATIC in Bob’s obscenely talented hands. If this collection does well, perhaps future volumes will collect Bob’s solo work on this title. I know I’m not alone in my desire to see it all in print.

My second really good idea was listening to my old Milestone partner Michael Davis, who brought to my attention an incredible young artist named John Paul Leon. These days, John is best known as the artist of Alex Ross’ EARTH-X. Back then, all he had was a portfolio full of Xeroxed samples. Really good Xeroxed samples.

I’m told that John doesn’t like to look at his early work anymore. While I’ll stipulate that his talent has grown tremendously since 1993, I don’t care what he says, I adore this stuff. As you will plainly see, when John drew the first four issues of STATIC, he was already a genius. He’s an expert storyteller who creates living, breathing characters. He can draw action and he can draw human drama. He can make a bad scene work and a good scene sing. Best of all, while some of his influences might be apparent, even at this early stage of his career John’s stuff doesn’t look like anyone else’s.

Before I slip a disc from patting myself on the back for all my good ideas, I should direct your attention to the rest of the STATIC team. Veteran inker Steve Mitchell helped our talented newcomer past some of the rough spots and just generally made great pages look even better. Color Editor Noelle C. Giddings hand-painted these comics, routinely achieving the kind of look usually found in top of the line graphic novels. Letterer Steve Hayne somehow found room for way too much dialog and still managed to keep it off of the art. Shawn Martinbrough pitched in with an ink job that foreshadowed his own remarkable talents. STATIC is a three time winner of Parents’ Choice Honors and also racked up 5 on-line fan awards, including two for “best new character.” Hardly surprising results from a team this good.

A final note to our new readers, if you only know Static from the show, you’ll quickly notice some differences between what you’re about to read and the Static you’re acquainted with. Don’t study on it, the differences are superficial. In every important way, this is the Static you’ve come to know and love, only more so. Consider this a hit of uncut funk.

If, after reading TRIAL BY FIRE, you find yourself craving more STATIC SHOCK! (which, of course, you will) you can watch his animated adventures every Saturday on the Kids WB! And if that’s still not enough, I’ve re-teamed with John Paul Leon for the all-new STATIC SHOCK!: REBIRTH OF THE COOL mini-series, on sale very soon. Get it wherever you bought this book.

With the continued support of fans like you, our moral victory can eventually be counted as a victory of the other kind. will our succès d’estime be reborn as a big fat commercial hit? We hope so. And you know what that would mean, right?

More new adventures.

It’s all in your hands again, folks. Enjoy.

Dwayne McDuffie
Chicago, IL
June 8, 2000

Dwayne McDuffie is the co-creator of STATIC, the Milestone Universe and Marvel Comics’ DAMAGE CONTROL. He has written several episodes of the STATIC SHOCK! animated series and continues to serve as Milestone’s Editor-In-Chief.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Dwayne McDuffie, Comic-Book Writer, Dies at 49
By MARGALIT FOX
Published: February 23, 2011

Dwayne McDuffie, a comic-book writer known for diversifying the pantheon of superheroes, creating popular black characters in print and on television, died in Burbank, Calif., on Monday, the day after his 49th birthday.

Dwayne McDuffie’s stewardship the Justice League of America added new black and female characters.

Mr. McDuffie, a resident of Sherman Oaks, Calif., died of complications from heart surgery, said Matt Wayne, a longtime friend.

Mr. McDuffie was best known as a founder of Milestone Media, described by The Plain Dealer of Cleveland in 2000 as “the industry’s most successful minority-owned-and-operated comic company.”

An independent company whose work is distributed by DC Comics, Milestone produces comics with ethnically diverse casts. Among its major characters (all of whom Mr. McDuffie helped create, in collaboration with illustrators and other writers) are Static, Icon and Hardware, all of whom are African-American; Xombi, who is Asian-American; and the Blood Syndicate, a crime-fighting group of men and women that includes blacks, Asians and Latinos.

Static, perhaps the most famous, is the alter ego of a mild-mannered teenager, who uses secret electromagnetic powers to do valiant things. Mr. McDuffie named Static’s alter ego Virgil Hawkins, after the black man who waged a midcentury fight to be admitted to law school at the University of Florida, a process that eventually led to the desegregation of Florida’s public university system.

That comic inspired the animated television series “Static Shock,” originally broadcast on the WB television network from 2000 to 2004, for which Mr. McDuffie was a creator, story editor and writer.

Mr. McDuffie’s other screen credits include writing and producing several mainstream animated series for television, including “Ben 10: Alien Force” and “Justice League.” Under his stewardship the Justice League of America — predominantly an old boys’ club featuring white males like Batman and Superman — added new black and female characters.

Dwayne Glenn McDuffie was born in Detroit on Feb. 20, 1962. Growing up, he later said, he encountered few comic-book characters who looked like him; he encountered fewer still who were simultaneously black, heroic and even remotely authentic.

“You only had two types of characters available for children,” Mr. McDuffie told The New York Times in 1993. “You had the stupid angry brute and the he’s-smart-but-he’s-black characters. And they were all colored either this Hershey-bar shade of brown, a sickly looking gray or purple. I’ve never seen anyone that’s gray or purple before in my life. There was no diversity and almost no accuracy among the characters of color at all.”

Mr. McDuffie received a bachelor’s degree in English from the University of Michigan, followed by a master’s in physics there; he later studied film at New York University. After a stint as a copy editor at Investment Dealers’ Digest, he took a job as an editor with Marvel Comics in 1987.

At Marvel Mr. McDuffie helped develop the company’s first line of superhero trading cards and wrote for established series like Spider-Man and Captain Marvel. He also created Damage Control, a mini-series published at intervals from the late ’80s to the present. Mr. McDuffie devised the series to address a long-overlooked but perennially nagging question: Who cleans up the comic-book universe after the preternaturally messy battles between the forces of good and evil?

After leaving Marvel in 1990, Mr. McDuffie did freelance work for DC and other comic publishers before founding Milestone with three partners in the early ’90s. The company’s first comics appeared in 1993 and were published regularly by DC until 1997 and in reprints afterward; two new Milestone series, Xombi and Static Shock, are scheduled to be published by DC this year.

Mr. McDuffie’s honors include a Humanitas Prize in 2003 for an episode of “Static Shock” about gun violence.

Mr. McDuffie’s first marriage, to Patricia Younger, ended in divorce. He married Charlotte Fullerton, a writer of comic books and animated TV shows, in 2009. She survives him, as does his mother, Edna McDuffie Gardner.

To those who thought comic books unlikely vehicles for advancing social justice, Mr. McDuffie’s reply was simple.

“You don’t feel as real if you don’t see yourself reflected in the media,” he told The Chicago Sun-Times in 1993. “There’s something very powerful about seeing yourself represented.”

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
RADIO INTERVIEW

thumbnail.jpg

Show Name: Celebrating the life and legacy of comic & TV writer Dwayne Mcduffie

Date / Length: 3/6/2011 7:00 PM - 54 min

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/what-a...-and-legacy-of-comic-tv-write-dwayne-mcduffie

Dwayne McDuffie Has been a writer in the comic book industry for over 20 years as writer and editor for companies such as Marvel, DC Comics, and other comics.He was a founder of Milestone comics. He was a writer and editor for shows from Static Shock to the Justice League He was involved in films from What's New, Scooby-Doo? to All-Star Superman. He has earned awards in all of these mediums. On this show, we'll listen t his friends and colleagues as they discuss the lasting impact this man will have in the print and TV medium of years to come.

mcduffie_forever_900.jpg

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Outrage Deferred: On The Lack Of Black Writers In The Comic Book Industry

johnhenryironsearth-21001.jpg

This is the first week of Black History Month, a four-week celebration and remembrance of the significant events and people of the African diaspora. For many, myself included, it's a month to reflect on where we've been, as a people and as a nation, and to contemplate exactly where it is we're going. In terms of the comic book industry, an obvious interest and passion of mine, there is one glaring and sobering fact that needs our attention: There is currently not a single black writer working on a monthly series for either of the two biggest comic book publishers in the United States, and precious few working for any of the others.

And yet, this fact has hardly been discussed recently, in the way some other diversity issues are. So what happened, exactly? Why is it that we no longer seem to care about this as much as we once did? Where has our outrage gone?

It may be best to begin this discussion with a look at recent moves by DC and Marvel to revitalize and modernize their brands. First, DC's New 52. It's been well documented by now, on this site and others: When the New 52 initiative launched, there was only one woman assigned as a writer on any of the books. Gail Simone was writing Batgirl and co-writing Fury of Firestorm. The outrage from fans was immediate, and understandably so given the initiative's stated goals. What wasn't nearly as discussed, however, was the lack of black writers. Eric Wallace was tapped to write Mister Terrific, and he stood as the lone black writer attached to the New 52. Marc Bernardin was later hired to take over on Static Shock starting with issue #7, but due to low sales both Static Shock and Wallace's Mister Terrific were canceled with issue #8. Bernardin only ever wrote two issues. No black writer has been hired by DC since.

Moving over to Marvel, the Marvel NOW! initiative has received plenty of attention and much acclaim. But much like DC's New 52 relaunch, there is a noticeable absence of diversity: there are currently no black writers attached to any of the books out now, or any upcoming books that have been announced. The argument from many will be that Marvel's idea was to take the popular writers they already had and put them on new or relaunched books while also modernizing their brand. That's certainly true, but there's a problem with that. The idea of saying, "Well, we only have white people in these new positions because they're the ones with experience/they're already here" is, in a sense, exactly why Affirmative Action exists: to right an imbalance. For the record, I am not arguing that comic publishers need affirmative action policies in place when hiring new writers. I'm simply attempting to point out the fallacy of the "They're just using the writers they already have" argument. If the publisher had established black writers on their roster prior to the launch of Marvel NOW, this wouldn't have been a problem. But they did not, and here we are.

dwaynebydenyscowan-1360000379.jpeg

That's two major initiatives over the past 18 months from the two biggest comic publishers in this country meant to update their brands in an attempt to better reflect the world we currently live in. Yet somehow, from the angle of a black writer trying to break into comics, this current era in the industry looks quite a bit like the one we were supposed to be leaving behind. For what it's worth, publishers like Dark Horse, Image, IDW, Valiant, etc. are currently not faring much better, which is also a concern. Marvel and DC often hire writers after they've had some commercial or critical success at smaller publishers. If these publishers aren't hiring black writers either, it could certainly be argued that it lowers the chances of Marvel and DC doing so.

In the past when black writers have been given an opportunity at a major comics publisher, their window often closed significantly faster than those of whites. A black writer taken off a book, for whatever reason, was not likely to get another assignment as quickly as other writers might. Perhaps the quintessential example is that of the late Dwayne McDuffie. A comics and animation industry veteran of more than 20 years before he left us much too soon, it's been said that McDuffie was never offered an open-ended run on a monthly comic book until his Justice League of America stint in 2007. If that's true, that seems remarkable given the number of writers of far less experience (and, frankly, talent) who had come and gone in the industry during the same period in which McDuffie operated, and have been offered multiple chances to write monthly series with no defined end in sight.

tumblrlrfqi3xsqg1qlva78o1500.jpg

And yet, as I mentioned above, the focus on bringing more black writers into the industry has been largely ignored, both by publishers and, it needs to be said, by the comic book press. For all the attention the lack of female writers at DC received, there was very little in regards to the dearth of black writers. Further, it is nearly impossible to find anyone directly addressing the complete absence of black women from a major publisher's writing credits. Keeping track of such statistics is difficult and it may not be possible to ascertain exact numbers. With the information we do have, the numbers are bleak. As near as I can tell, throughout DC Comics' more than 75-year history, the publisher has only ever hired two black women writers on monthly titles: Felicia Henderson on Teen Titans and Angela Robinson on The Web, both in 2009. That should be put in some perspective: If those numbers are accurate, it would mean that DC has more white women writing monthly books for them right now than they've had black women in the same role in more than three quarters of a century. That said, they are potentially doing better than their principal competition: Try as I might, I cannot find a single black woman who has ever written a monthly ongoing comic for Marvel in the publisher's history.

Looking at all of that, a question has to be asked: If at the start of the New 52 there were 10 female writers assigned to books but every last one of them were white, would there have been the same level of frustration from fans? If the answer is no, and I suspect it would be, we have a serious problem on our hands. It works both ways, of course: the vast majority of black writers who have worked in the industry are men, and that represents an imbalance that desperately needs to be addressed going forward.

So where is our collective outrage about our current situation? Why isn't any of this being discussed more? There are certainly many reasons behind that, some of which go well beyond the comic industry and reflect America's current climate and the changing (and perhaps diminishing) discourse on race, but the biggest factor may simply be a lack of voices. In the past Dwayne McDuffie was arguably the most recognizable and vocal figure on the topic of black creators in comics. One of the biggest factors in the slowly growing discussion of the dearth of female writers in the industry has been the many passionate, intelligent voices -- working both as comics professionals and in the comics media -- who have demanded these issues be brought to the table. And while progress has been painfully slow, the very fact that we now have that discussion in a meaningful fashion is significant. In short, the women at the forefront of this discussion, by making their voices heard, have improved the industry. But since the untimely passing of McDuffie, there has been a very obvious void in terms of recognizable and established figures speaking out on behalf of black creators. McDuffie was a poised, intelligent, and highly respected figure in comics, with decades of experience, and I honestly don't know who could step in and fill that void. Due to years of black writers having so much difficulty breaking into the field, the answer is, quite possibly, no one.

029.jpg

Of course the comic industry certainly owns no sort of exclusivity when it comes to the lack of opportunity or attention afforded black writers in entertainment. But you know what? Maybe this will be the year we see significant change. Maybe comics, an industry that can be so woefully, maddeningly behind the times, can actually be out in front of something for once. Characters like Batman, Superman, and Spider-Man are some of the most recognizable and endearing this country has ever produced, and to continually have their stories told by members of the same increasingly shrinking demographic borders on irresponsible.

It is incumbent upon all of us -- publishers, editors, fans, and members of the comic industry media -- to keep this conversation going. We owe it everyone -- from Jackie Ormes to Dwayne McDuffie -- who has come before us and tried to show us a better way. But maybe most of all, we owe it to ourselves. We deserve better than this.

It's early in 2013, meaning there is still ample opportunity to end up closing this year on a much better note than we did 2012. Given the industry's history and present, it is long overdue.

Read More: http://www.comicsalliance.com/2013/02/04/black-writers-comic-book-industry/#ixzz2LZapkIcq

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor
as shown by the gawd awful DC movie drops lately he CLEARLY was the creative genius behind the success of the animated movies...DEARLY MISSED!

RIP

sakinnuso

Rising Star
Registered
Thanks for posting this.

Dwayne was a personal hero of mine and i think of Dwayne in just about everything that I do to this day. The man was often the most humble man - and the smartest man -in any room. I know quite a few writers in the comics/animation industry, and Dwayne had a PROFOUND impact on all of them.

I've only had ONE man that I consider a hero to me outside of my pops, and it was this man here. Dwayne McDuffie.

Breaks my heart that the one interview of Dwayne that I had on video was destroyed due to a bad tape. R.I.P.

Lions

Star
as shown by the gawd awful DC movie drops lately he CLEARLY was the creative genius behind the success of the animated movies...DEARLY MISSED!

RIP

Let's not go overboard. Not to derail but the quality slipped once Bruce Timm stepped down as the supervising producer. To keep it Black History related, his replacement, James Tucker, is black.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2016/02/29/top-25-black-comic-book-writers-10-1/3/

Top 25 Black Comic Book Writers #10-1

bwriters10-1display.jpg

Here are the top ten writers that you voted as your favorites of all-time.

10. Marc Bernardin

Marc Bernardin has been working as a writer and an editor for comics, television and the magazine industry for decades now (he was an editor for Entertainment Weekly and Playboy and is currently editing for Hollywood Reporter, to name three). Working with his writing partner, Adam Freeman, Bernardin has written a number of comics over the years, including the mini-series Highwaymen for Wildstorm (they also wrote a number of issues of Authority).

Recently, they gained a ton of accolades for their Top Cow one-shot, Genius, which was the winner of a vote to decide which book would get its own mini-series. The series stars a brilliant young woman, Destiny Ajaye, who starts a war on the Los Angeles police department (art by Afua Richardson)…

Destiny Ajaye is one of the best new black characters introduced in the past decade.

9. Robert Washington III

Robert Washington III was the co-creator of Static and co-wrote the initial arc with Dwayne McDuffie before writing the book by himself for the next fifteen issues or so. Washington III made the book a compelling mixture of humor and topical discussions, stuff that you wouldn’t normally see in superhero comics, like this bit where Virgil (Static) Hawkins goes to work for a radio personality who has Anti-Semitic views, causing problems with Virgil and his Jewish friend, Frieda Goren, leading to the two getting a talking-to from their parents…

After leaving Static, Washington worked for a few other titles, like a short run on Extreme Justice and Ninjak for Valiant. Sadly, he passed away at the age of 47.

8. David Walker

David Walker came to comics (not counting his early work translating Tokyo Tribes for TokyoPop over a decade ago) from a long career working in and around film as a top film journalist, especially in the world of Blaxploitation (where he is likely the most notable expert on the genre) .

Walker made great waves with his excellent Shaft series for Dynamite (Walker wrote the fist new Shaft novel in 40 years in 2015), showing Shaft’s origins…

and after the fight…

Goddamn, that’s just excellent writing. Walker is currently writing Cyborg for DC and Power Man and Iron Fist for Marvel. He’s quickly becoming as well-regarded as a comic book writer as he was as a film expert.

Go to the next page for #7-4!

7. George Herriman

George Herriman wrote and drew the comic strip Krazy Kat for over three decades, and he marveled audiences for years by taking the audaciously simple set up of Krazy Kat mooning over Ignatz Mouse, who attacks Krazy Kat with bricks while Offisa Bull Pupp tries to stop Ignatz and protect Krazy Kat and making it work as a complex and brilliantly inventive comic strip.

Here are a number of these strips…

Herriman’s work was greatly influential, including a number of famous cartoons (Wile E. Coyote and Roadrunner’s adventures were highly influenced by Krazy Kat). Krazy Kat is one of the most acclaimed comic strips of all-time.

6. Aaron McGruder

Another highly successful comic strip writer, Aaron McGruder’s Boondocks became aphenomenon, which is remarkable considering that the strip “only” lasted ten years. The strip is about young Huey Freeman and his brother Riley, who move from the South Side of Chicago to a suburb in Maryland with their grandfather. Huey is a hilarious mouthpiece for McGruder to make many critiques about politics and popular culture, while Riley and Granddad both get their own unique personalities, as does their naive neighbor, Jazmine.

The strip was made into a critically acclaimed cartoon series, as well.

McGruder co-wrote the screenplay for the George Lucas-directed film, Red Tails (he wrote it with John Ridley, who appeared earlier in the countdown) and is currently doing the series Black Jesus for Adult Swim.

5. Marguerite Abouet

Marguerite Abouet is one of the most successful comic book writers in the world, as her series of stories about Aya, a young woman born and living in Côte d’Ivoire (where Abouet was born, before moving to France at the age of twelve) won the 2006 Angoulême International Comics Festival Prize for First Comic Book, with the books selling over 200,000 copies in France and the translated collections doing quite well in the United States, as well.

Abouet’s work (which are drawn by her husband, Clement Oubrerie) is filled with striking grace, humor and deeply interesting characterization, exploring a lifestyle rarely explored in popular fiction….

She adapted Aya to animation and has worked on a series of children’s books set in the same basic setting as Aya.

4. Reginald Hudlin

The very successful screenwriter (he wrote the House Party films), director (he directed House Party among a bunch of other films, including the upcoming film, Marshall), producer (he produced the Bernie Mac show for years) and executive (head of BET for a number of years) Reginald Hudlin also has put a great mark on the world of comics, primarily in his four year run on Black Panther for Marvel…

The biggest part of his run was when he had Black Panther and Storm marry.

A producer of the film, Django Unchained, he has recently worked on a number of Django-related comic books.

Go to the next page for #3-1!

3. Kyle Baker

An excellent comic book artist for decades, Kyle Baker soon made a name for himself as ahilarious and sharp writer of comic books, primarily his own creator-owned work, like the award-winning graphic novel You Are Here, about a jewel thief who got out of the thieving business to become a painter, only now he has been pulled back into his old life (while trying to hide it all from his perfect, innocent girlfriend, Helen, who is almost literally a Disney princess).

youarehere4.jpg

However, what Helen does not know is that Noah used to be a jewel thief before he found that being a painter made him more money. The problem is that he has lied to Helen for the past year, pretending that he doesn’t drink or smoke, and all he draws is paintings of flowers.

The wheels come off the cart when Noah goes back to New York City to sell his apartment and gets caught up with his old friends (who at first don’t believe that he has gone straight)…

youarehere5.jpg

Things get worse when a guy with a vendetta against Noah gets out of prison…

youarehere6.jpg

To top it all off, Helen shows up in the city! Baker gets a TON of great humor out of contrasting Helen’s personality with that of New York (there is a scene with her, a mugger and a sunset that needs to be seen to be believed).

Baker’s dialogue format is used beautifully in a joke here…

youarehere7.jpg

youarehere8.jpg

His other creator-owned work includes The Cowboy Wally Show, Why I Hate Saturn, Bakers and Nat Turner. Baker also gained a number of awards for his work on the brilliant Plastic Man series for DC Comics.

2. Christopher Priest

The first black editor for Marvel Comics, Christopher Priest (then known as Jim Owsley) had runs on Power Man and Iron Fist and Conan the Barbarian. After leaving Marvel, Priest went to work for DC Comics on the Action Comic Weekly Green Lantern feature, as well as The Ray, Justice League Task Force, Steel and Xero.

For Valiant Comics, he created, with M.D. Bright, the hilarious superhero duo of Quantum and Woody…

He returned to Marvel for a long run on Black Panther and shorter stints on Deadpool and Ka-Zar.

Priest’s work has always been known for his humor and his complicated stories.

1. Dwayne McDuffie

Dwayne McDuffie went to work for Marvel Comics in the late 1980s. He soon began to work on a number of projects for them, including Damage Control (which he created) and Deathlok. In 1992, he helped launch Milestone Comics, for which he created (or co-created) many characters, including Static, Icon, Rocket, Blood Syndicate, Hardware and more. McDuffie also handled the writing duties on Icon and Hardware.

After Milestone’s comic career ended, McDuffie adapted the series into the hit cartoon series, Static Shock.

McDuffie also was one of the main writers for Justice League Unlimited, the cartoon series.

After his great acclaim writing Justice League Unlimited, McDuffie got back into regular comic book work, like his acclaimed run on Fantastic Four…

and Justice League of America.

McDuffie had a knack for finding the coolest aspect of the characters he worked on and highlighting them accordingly. This served him well as a writer for animation. He did a wonderful adaptation of Grant Morrison’s All Star Superman, for instance.

Tragically, we lost McDuffie a few years ago at the far too young age of 49.

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor
Damn shit just made me mad all over again :angry:

Loved his work but what this post and the thread on milestone made me recall was his interview where he said if there's more than three black characters it's a black comic book. This always pissed me off especially when you consider white folks talking about what is white supremacy or white privilege?

White supremacy is a system that's so fucked up that a comic book writer has to keep track of his black characters so his book will not be classified as a black comic.

White supremacy is a system that caters to the fragile sensitivities of cracker ass crackers.

White privilege is having automatic safeguards in place so you fuckers don't have to face the realities and existence of capable black folks EVEN IN YO GATDAMN COMIC BOOKS?!?

McDuffie was the man a valuable resource thats sorely missed.