Justice League MOVIE Discussion (The SynderCut Drops 3/18/2021)

melonpecan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That’s what I don’t get either...

We are all voicing our concerns because we all really really want this to work.

Why are people viewing this like it’s a Xbox vs Playstation fanboy war?

Because that is exactly what it is!
It's a fanboy war!

But the problem is people who are actually FANBOYS can't discern actual critiques for fear of either outing themselves as fanboys, or showing their crippling perspective of seeing everyone else as fanboys. And thus the cycle never ends...

The common denominator in this fiasco is a bunch of fans who want bright colors and the Super friends.

Naw...
CD one is Snyder. 2nd is WB execs. And I'll put it out like this:

Let's look at Snyders work, it's always colorless for one with few pops of color. As if to mute the atmosphere is to mute certain elements of the movie's environment or characters in order to let other things shine:
MV5BMTMwNTg5MzMwMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzA2NTIyMw@@._V1_SX1777_CR0,0,1777,937_AL_.jpg

Watchmen
MV5BMTMzNDQ5OTkzOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODI3MzIzMg@@._V1_.jpg

Man of Steel, (which I have frequently stated here that I like)
MV5BMTkwMDkxODU0Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTU0Mzk1OQ@@._V1_.jpg

And I'm going to throw this in for good measure. What is arguably the worst Snyder film of all time, mainly because it comes solely from his mind - Sucker Punch
MV5BMjExMjAwODQ3N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDg2MjA3NA@@._V1_SX1777_CR0,0,1777,743_AL_.jpg

Now, you need to break this shit down.
He's highlighting what he wants us to see, who he wants us to see. Why? Could be because he knows no other way to succinctly tell a story. Dude is really good at recreating scenes from comics and sometimes getting tones right, (sometimes), but are you really going to tell me that this darkly saturated thing works for EVERY FUCKING MOVIE? No. So when you get to PoS, (BvS), and the first real substantial entry of this DCEU, it sticks out like a sore thumb. Even if the director does not write the movie chock full of bad choices (Jimmy Olsen) the director still has an obligation to tell a story with their visuals, but not resting on them. Snyder dropped the ball here. You can't let the overall theme of a universe be its color scheme. Same way on Project Runway you can't let just color take a fashion show. It's why people don't like track homes.

Snyder can't get out of his comfort zone, and it's a shame. I've said before I loved the character development we got in MoS, it's more than I've ever really seen outside of the ABC show Lois and Clark:The New Adventures of Superman. But no, you had to undo all of that to get PoS. As if you couldn't make the execs wait with a good plan to execute these movies. Snyder is all about the visuals
MV5BMjEwMzc0NTA5M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODA5MjkxNjE@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1502,1000_AL_.jpg

When he's pressured, he forgets about conventional story telling
MV5BMTQ2MTgyNzY2MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTA5MjkxNjE@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1502,1000_AL_.jpg

And figures that if all else fails as long as the audience goes "oooh pretty" he did a good job
MV5BOGM4MjAxNWItMjU1NS00MjU0LTg0NDctMTYxYWVhMDM4NzQ1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTI3MDk3MzQ@._V1_.jpg

And then there are his bad choices in writing. In some ways I think he has a God complex, where he likes the control.
I think what upsets me the most about Snyder is that when he's good, it's not constant. When he's bad, it is consistently bad. I know when I see a Tim Burton film what I'm getting into, but he employs other elements other than the dark theme to tell his story. Spielberg does more than push us bright lights and dynamic cuts to tell his story. Spike Lee does more than the face close ups to tell a story. Tell me what more does Snyder do? I'll wait.

And then there's the execs. Looking at his track record, why would you give control to Snyder? Why? Solely and in conjunction with his partner in crime? And then, when you see you made a mistake, you can't even try to correct it, only going "we are going to change direction". If Snyder never had his tragedy, JL would be unwatchable and WB would be looking for an exit plan to remove him from the franchise. Why? Because you left a longterm plan out of your hands and in the hands of someone who can't see past pre-production of the second film.

This isn't about wanting the SuperFriends. I don't want saccharine. This is about - and I've said this before - making good movies. Not good comic book movies, good movies. Dude cannot consistently make a good movie. WB cannot consistently plan for good movies. You saw how the original Batman run form the 90's went...No one wants DC to recreate Marvel. I want to see a Green Lantern movie that doesn't make me want to cut myself. I want an Aquaman movie that gives me more of his story. I want a Flash that is...something. I'm conflicted on that one, dude on the show does a good job of being complex. My point is you can't say what the people want cause in this case, you're wrong. And I know I'm not speaking for myself. The majority of reviews for this movie border on "I want to like it, but-". People want this. We want it to happen. But if I ask for gold, and on year one you give me shit, and year two you give me shit, and year three you give me shit - is it wrong of me to expect gold on year four?

Multi - Personality

Rising Star
Registered
I also really liked the first captain America. It was different plus you can’t bring in captain america without having a film showing him in world war 2. He comes across as corny without it and I don’t think that a film with Flashbacks would carry the same weight.
That's why I liked both films.

Him growing up in america then and then coping in America today after he woke up and how he deals with it all....Stays with the military to help him cope.

Reminds me of the Punisher (Netflix). Comes home from his last tour, loses family....learns how to cope.... Has military friends.....

Military can fuck your life up in comic situations.

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Word B. I couldn't agree with you more. Everyone is hyping Wonder Woman like it was a God send. It was so so.

Nah-
act 1 was edited horribly with lazy fight choreography and screenplay
act 3 was just bad
but overall WW looks great when compared to JL

meilmarc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm interested to see what James Wan will do with Aquaman.

JL wasn't the shit storm that BvS or SS was, but it felt really rushed and should have been longer.

I put the blame on WB before anyone. Those idiots did not want the No Man's Land scene in WW smh.

I wouldn't mind seeing a directs cut of JL.

raze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It's a fanboy war!

But the problem is people who are actually FANBOYS can't discern actual critiques for fear of either outing themselves as fanboys, or showing their crippling perspective of seeing everyone else as fanboys. And thus the cycle never ends...

Naw...

Let's look at Snyders work, it's always colorless for one with few pops of color. As if to mute the atmosphere is to mute certain elements of the movie's environment or characters in order to let other things shine:
MV5BMTMwNTg5MzMwMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzA2NTIyMw@@._V1_SX1777_CR0,0,1777,937_AL_.jpg

Watchmen

And I'm going to throw this in for good measure. What is arguably the worst Snyder film of all time, mainly because it comes solely from his mind - Sucker Punch
MV5BMjExMjAwODQ3N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDg2MjA3NA@@._V1_SX1777_CR0,0,1777,743_AL_.jpg

He's highlighting what he wants us to see, who he wants us to see. Why? Could be because he knows no other way to succinctly tell a story. Dude is really good at recreating scenes from comics and sometimes getting tones right, (sometimes), but are you really going to tell me that this darkly saturated thing works for EVERY FUCKING MOVIE? No. So when you get to PoS, (BvS), and the first real substantial entry of this DCEU, it sticks out like a sore thumb. Even if the director does not write the movie chock full of bad choices (Jimmy Olsen) the director still has an obligation to tell a story with their visuals, but not resting on them. Snyder dropped the ball here. You can't let the overall theme of a universe be its color scheme. Same way on Project Runway you can't let just color take a fashion show. It's why people don't like track homes.

Snyder can't get out of his comfort zone, and it's a shame. I've said before I loved the character development we got in MoS, it's more than I've ever really seen outside of the ABC show Lois and Clark:The New Adventures of Superman. But no, you had to undo all of that to get PoS. As if you couldn't make the execs wait with a good plan to execute these movies. Snyder is all about the visuals
MV5BMjEwMzc0NTA5M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODA5MjkxNjE@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1502,1000_AL_.jpg

MV5BMTQ2MTgyNzY2MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTA5MjkxNjE@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1502,1000_AL_.jpg

And figures that if all else fails as long as the audience goes "oooh pretty" he did a good job
MV5BOGM4MjAxNWItMjU1NS00MjU0LTg0NDctMTYxYWVhMDM4NzQ1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTI3MDk3MzQ@._V1_.jpg

And then there are his bad choices in writing. In some ways I think he has a God complex, where he likes the control.
I think what upsets me the most about Snyder is that when he's good, it's not constant. When he's bad, it is consistently bad. I know when I see a Tim Burton film what I'm getting into, but he employs other elements other than the dark theme to tell his story. Spielberg does more than push us bright lights and dynamic cuts to tell his story. Spike Lee does more than the face close ups to tell a story. Tell me what more does Snyder do? I'll wait.

And then there's the execs. Looking at his track record, why would you give control to Snyder? Why? Solely and in conjunction with his partner in crime? And then, when you see you made a mistake, you can't even try to correct it, only going "we are going to change direction". If Snyder never had his tragedy, JL would be unwatchable and WB would be looking for an exit plan to remove him from the franchise. Why? Because you left a longterm plan out of your hands and in the hands of someone who can't see past pre-production of the second film.

This isn't about wanting the SuperFriends. I don't want saccharine. This is about - and I've said this before - making good movies. Not good comic book movies, good movies. Dude cannot consistently make a good movie. WB cannot consistently plan for good movies. You saw how the original Batman run form the 90's went...No one wants DC to recreate Marvel. I want to see a Green Lantern movie that doesn't make me want to cut myself. I want an Aquaman movie that gives me more of his story. I want a Flash that is...something. I'm conflicted on that one, dude on the show does a good job of being complex. My point is you can't say what the people want cause in this case, you're wrong. And I know I'm not speaking for myself. The majority of reviews for this movie border on "I want to like it, but-". People want this. We want it to happen. But if I ask for gold, and on year one you give me shit, and year two you give me shit, and year three you give me shit - is it wrong of me to expect gold on year four?

I agree with everything you said. I'll piggyback a bit with this short film Snyder put out a few months ago:

It was shot on an iPhone btw. There's no question the man has a knack for visuals and casting, but he seems to lack the instincts of a storyteller with mass appeal. Aside from film geeks, who is in love or intrigued by this story?

melonpecan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I agree with everything you said. I'll piggyback a bit with this short film Snyder put out a few months ago:

It was shot on an iPhone btw. There's no question the man has a knack for visuals and casting, but he seems to lack the instincts of a storyteller with mass appeal. Aside from film geeks, who is in love or intrigued by this story?

It looks good...I like the balls someone has to have to tell a story without words. That takes guts.
The story...meh. I get it, but what makes this, exciting? Other than saying I shot it on an iPhone?

If dude can just channel what made MoS great and push it forward...I want to see him take a movie or a short and not rely on heavy visuals...but to be honest, I have more faith in his directorial skills than his writing skills...

Tha Great Muta

Rising Star
Platinum Member
It looks good...I like the balls someone has to have to tell a story without words. That takes guts.
The story...meh. I get it, but what makes this, exciting? Other than saying I shot it on an iPhone?

If dude can just channel what made MoS great and push it forward...I want to see him take a movie or a short and not rely on heavy visuals...but to be honest, I have more faith in his directorial skills than his writing skills...

Zack Synder is not a good director...that is all

melonpecan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I saw the movie, i liked it.
Flash did run really weird as mentioned and the clumsy thing, sigh!!!!
other than that, i have no real complaints.

Really? Please explain.

What specifically was horrible?

LOL
What specifically was right with it?! I need someone to answer that! :roflmao:

Wait, I forgot something.
I called this shit a while back. Why do we have to buy the blu-ray to get the 'real' movie and all the cut scenes that made the movie make sense?

The Pope

His Holiness Pope Francis
Registered
I forgot, why the fuck did Flash run like that?

How do you have some non-coordinated faggot who can't even run play Flash?
At the end of the movie, the way they had him running in Central City, he looked like he was about to crap
What specifically was horrible?
Bad Green Lantern Costume, The CGI ,The Action Sequences, Not enough screen time for the Corps and Sinestro

PliggaNease

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I fell out when Clark first sees Lois and he just tosses Batman off to the side like "fuck you nigga." Afterwards, Batman is picking himself off the ground talking about "yea, something's definitely bleeding." LMAO! Also, did it seem weird to see Batman break out in a smile when Superman showed up during the final fight scene?

flx2000

Photographer
BGOL Investor
Really? Please explain.

LOL
What specifically was right with it?! I need someone to answer that! :roflmao:

Wait, I forgot something.
I called this shit a while back. Why do we have to buy the blu-ray to get the 'real' movie and all the cut scenes that made the movie make sense?
i'm not a comic book head, so when i go see these movies, i take them for what they are, a movie.
you can say i'm easily entertained, you can say i don't know what a quality movie is, all i know is i like what i like.

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor
It's a fanboy war!

Naw...

Watchmen

This isn't about wanting the SuperFriends. I don't want saccharine. This is about - and I've said this before - making good movies.

Not good comic book movies, good movies. Dude cannot consistently make a good movie. WB cannot consistently plan for good movies. You saw how the original Batman run form the 90's went...No one wants DC to recreate Marvel. I want to see a Green Lantern movie that doesn't make me want to cut myself. I want an Aquaman movie that gives me more of his story. I want a Flash that is...something. I'm conflicted on that one, dude on the show does a good job of being complex. My point is you can't say what the people want cause in this case, you're wrong. And I know I'm not speaking for myself. The majority of reviews for this movie border on "I want to like it, but-". People want this. We want it to happen. But if I ask for gold, and on year one you give me shit, and year two you give me shit, and year three you give me shit - is it wrong of me to expect gold on year four?
LOVED your breakdown and totally agree!
'This is about - and I've said this before - making good movies.'

THIS all day

'people who are actually FANBOYS can't discern actual critiques for fear of either outing themselves as fanboys, or showing their crippling perspective of seeing everyone else as fanboys. And thus the cycle never ends...'

On snyder
'When he's pressured, he forgets about conventional story telling'
'Snyder can't get out of his comfort zone, and it's a shame. '
'he knows no other way to succinctly tell a story.'

***DING DING DING***
I figured this out thanks to a kevin smith critique of BvS when he made this statement: "god snyder really knows how to frame a scene!"

giphy.gif

As you pointed out thats his bread and butter, his go to play when the story gets bogged down. Frame a beautiful scene and move on, instead of developing a coherent story or plot element.

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor
Is it just me or that lantern that got stabbed at the begging look like Tomar-Re
latest
Naw I thought it looked like abin sur, but that may be because I saw a spoiler from last year that he was spose to be in the film.

Also if it was abin or tomar, That would fuck up the timeline since this occurred 5k yrs ago.

Not that snyder gives a fuck about a timeline.

Last edited:

HotNixon36

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I saw the movie, i liked it.
Flash did run really weird as mentioned and the clumsy thing, sigh!!!!
other than that, i have no real complaints.

I went in the theater thinking it would be real bad, but it was not awful. I enjoyed it too. Gal Gadot is skinny as shit, but pretty as hell. She is the perfect Wonder Woman.

tumblr_ozfw7vZ6ke1r45uyro1_540.jpg

T'Challa

Rising Star
Registered
Does he dick ride LeBron or does he just spit facts about him?​

Even though it moved slow, the story was cool with me.

Everyone give me that "look" when i say i liked the first Captain America

:hmm:

i think the first captain america movie is a great movie.

it was an extremely well done period piece.

I have always said that the first captain america film was quietly one of the best comic book films of all time, and only the true comic heads will understand

everything from the costume detail, the dialogue, the 40s setting. Im a huge marvel head and Cap had the only trilogy that was 100% spot on plus more. from the 40s to modern day

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
Not by me. It says on IMDb the 17th. But I heard on the radio, it'll be this Wednesday

It did here. My bad I guess it was limited.

I just got out of night show. It’s pretty good but now one of his best roles. I will say that it was a different type of Denzel role. I would recommend it. It also makes me wish that he did more movies out of his comfort zone.

LordSinister

One Punch Mayne
Super Moderator
The common denominator in this fiasco is a bunch of fans who want bright colors and the Super friends.

The common denominator are people that hold comic book movies to a higher standard. Riddle me this Batman: if you knew nothing of the backstory and simply judged the movie on its own laurels, what score would you give it?

It's a mess and I grew up on DC. My anger is how much they are fucking this up. How is Ant Man, Guardians of the Galaxy and Captain America shifting on DC's top tier heroes? How is the best movie in the EDCU is basically a clone of the first Captain America movie? Wonder Woman and cap the first avenger are the same fucking movie. Warner brothers should be ashamed. :smh:

T'Challa

Rising Star
Registered
The common denominator are people that hold comic book movies to a higher standard. Riddle me this Batman: if you knew nothing of the backstory and simply judged the movie on its own laurels, what score would you give it?

It's a mess and I grew up on DC. My anger is how much they are fucking this up. How is Ant Man, Guardians of the Galaxy and Captain America shifting on DC's top tier heroes? How is the best movie in the EDCU is basically a clone of the first Captain America movie? Wonder Woman and cap the first avenger are the same fucking movie. Warner brothers should be ashamed. :smh:

A blend of captain america and thor (the fantastical element)

but yes essentially the same movie with the roles reversed: Both men were named Steve...... both portrayed by a man named Chris.....