Y'all Forgot We Once Had A PBA Bowling Champion... How Come More Brother's Don't Do This Sport?...

D@mnphins

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Used to be in a league for years until I messed up my knee in football. And couldn't bend the way I use to. So I just started rolling straight. Took a few years off and lost my touch, and all I could do was launch it as hard as possible straight down the lane. Nine pin no tap I was a beast, cause one pin was always standing after the pins all danced around. Had a coworker ask me why I throw it so hard I said I imagine the pins as the KKK, and I'm knocking them out.

I started bowling on military bases and .50 cents a game was nothing, especially when we had our own shoes. We went a few years ago and $3 a game and $2 for shoes, no I'm good. I take the kids in the summer when they can bowl for free on the base. Plus spending 30 min trying to find the perfect house ball, fingers all jacked up when I'm done.

If you have the right group of people bowling is fun but very competitive. All you need is that bet you $10 you will not get a strike. Its on. Ok $30 for a turkey. I cant tell you the amount of money or dinners I have won.

Leagues take time and parents are impatient now. They are not going to sit for 2 hours to see you roll the ball then sit back down, then wait for 4 other people to go to see your child again.

smoovejazz

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Shit black folks barely even bowl for real. I have my own ball and shoes. I don't play. I used to have a group we would bowl competitively(not in a league) but it was never just for fun. We were trying to win. But there's very few black players in bowling leagues where i'm from so I never joined and my friends/associates always act like bowling is something you do like once a year lol. Until we start to build a love for bowling starting with your local neighborhood bowling alley, we'll never take it serious enough to go Pro.

Check with your local USBC (United States Bowling Congress), the local TNBA (The National Bowlers Association, made up largely of Black bowlers), or your local lanes to see where there are leagues.

God Dammit

Shaddyvillescrub’s Idol
BGOL Investor
Foreman won the heavyweight title in his 40s, Tyson is 50+ about to return to boxing... there’s tons of wrestlers in their 50s.. there’s 60 yr olds that do the nyc marathon and run 26 miles.. can you run 26 miles?... mayweather father still can spar his ass off.. must we continue with people above 40, 50, 60 capability’s

Is Mike fighting Wilder or Fury?!
No. He’s fighting another damn near senior citizen.
And yes, I can run 26 miles.
What the hell does my marathon have to do with bowling?!​

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
Check with your local USBC (United States Bowling Congress), the local TNBA (The National Bowlers Association, made up largely of Black bowlers), or your local lanes to see where there are leagues.
The USBC used to be headquartered here in Milwaukee. Bowling was huge here until the jobs started moving overseas and it all slowly ground down to a halt.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Is Mike fighting Wilder or Fury?!
No. He’s fighting another damn near senior citizen.
And yes, I can run 26 miles.
What the hell does my marathon have to do with bowling?!​
You tried to say a senior citizen can’t do a sport and be good at it, yet there’s 60 yr old joggers, bicyclists... mike could bust a lot of current fighters ass.. he also would whip many non boxers ass, same with these 60 yr old joggers and bicyclists would kill most people in their sport.. but we already know you want to push the goal in trying to shit on bowling and won’t agree it is a sport even though it’s on sports center and has been known as a sport for decades

kdogg3270

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Go Bowl a 300 with a house ball. Curve that bitch too. Don't just try to throw shit 100mph and hope to blow the pins up lol. Being a good bowler requires skill just like any other sport. I used to say the same thing till I went bowling with some white dudes and they were in the upper 200's while I barely hit a 100. Mf's was hitting crazy split pins and all that. It's like Golf, golf looks easy till you play it.

noticed that at an early age. kind of like a baseball pitcher throwing a curveball. you have to rotate your wrist as you release the ball to make it spin. takes practice to get accurate with it.

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
You tried to say a senior citizen can’t do a sport and be good at it, yet there’s 60 yr old joggers, bicyclists... mike could bust a lot of current fighters ass.. he also would whip many non boxers ass, same with these 60 yr old joggers and bicyclists would kill most people in their sport.. but we already know you want to push the goal in trying to shit on bowling and won’t agree it is a sport even though it’s on sports center and has been known as a sport for decades
I will never forget in my LIFE, running in the Niedelauf Run. It was a 50K run and we were in teams of 5 each. My battalion had three teams participating in this German/American Friendship program event, so we'd run 10K each leg.

My boy Webster ran the first leg for our team, which was over hill and dell, through creeks and wooded terrain. By the time he got to me to hand off the baton, his legs and shoes were all sandy and shit as though he had ran on a beach.

I ran the second leg...all muthafuckin' hills. :hmm: Web had us in a good position, maybe 2nd or 3rd when he handed me the baton, but my leg was so strenuous, I got lapped by this soccer playing dude in our Battalion from Equador or Peru.

After another couple of kilometers, here comes this old German man. We're running uphill and my mind is telling my ass to cop a squat for a minute and catch my breath. I was struggling because I had on one running shoe and one Bally sneaker because I grabbed my shit in the dark at 4am.

The old man was running the entire 50K solo. He caught up with me and traded friendly banter in Deutch as my ass was struggling in my mind and body.:lol: We chatted for a couple hundred meters or so before he said "Tchuss" (See ya later) and pulled off on my ass. I lost all motivation watching this old ass man disappear over the horizon and wasn't even winded. Hell, I was an avid runner in my mid twenties damn it!
This old man just bested me and made me feel like I wasn't shit. Granted, that was the lifestyle over there...Volksmarches and all of that, so he did this type of shit regurlarly.

I finished my torturous leg of the race and compared notes with Web about his leg and we drove to the finish line. At the end of the race, that old man won first place for those who were running the entire ultramarathon. Me and Web had a good laugh when I told him how that old fuck SMOKED my ass and made me wanna quit half way through my leg.

Mo-Better

The R&B Master
OG Investor
The biggest problem becoming a professional bowler is money and you'll need lots of it. So if you can't hook up with a manufacturer say of bowling balls you will struggle to make it. Figure travel expenses, lodging, food, clothing, equipment cost you'll need a sponsor.

The full tour is very expensive, this is why you tend to see the same players every time when bowling is on the air. Figure you roll into a city, hit the lanes and bowling ball reactions aren't great. So how many balls do you need drilled 2, 4, 8? Balls that reacted well last week don't react at all this week. Now figure the average ball today is going to cost you well over $200 and you might need to drill 4 so figure $900+.

You walk into a bowling alley carrying 8 balls, shoes and bag and tools. You go through all this and you haven't even faced your first opponent yet. pa

BTW those ball prices are maybe from 10+ years ago, when I was heavy into bowling.

God Dammit

Shaddyvillescrub’s Idol
BGOL Investor

Because you found an exception in a few “elite” athletes, you think that’s the case for every human walking on earth.
1. Athletes can bowl, but bowling doesn’t make you an athlete.
2. Bass fishing, poker, curling, golf, spelling bees, badminton, along with bowling, all are on sports center even though non of it belongs.

All of those non athletic, family past times, were put on sports center and are called sports to give the physically weak something to compete in for money.
Over the years they were called sports by the less athletic.
But like I stated above, a real athlete can do those family night games, but just because you compete in them doesn’t make you an athlete... unlike a real sport.

man-machine

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Probably don’t know how to get through certain doors in the majors.. it’s like who do you contact in order to be selected in the league? Than unlike most sports you have to spend consistent money in order to practice the game.. with b-ball just cop a ball go to a court.. bowling you actually got to go to the alley and pay for every game you practice.. who know how much that would cost to perfect a upcoming persons game..depending on state,city, town your access to a bowling alley might differ..these might be some of the challenges people might face

As far as organized sports go Bowling is fairly affordable. I mean if you have a kid who wants to bowl he can join a league, rent shoes and use a house ball. Of course they like it and so proficency There youth leagues in just about all bowling alleys in or near major metropolitan areas. Then you have high school teams and collegiate Bowling as part of NCAA. Of course if your're good you can compete and cash in regional tournaments and you can try your hand at PBA events.

To compete in PBAevent or join the PBA:

• Average 200 or better with 36 games.
  • Average 190 or better with 36 games in an USBC certified Sports League.
  • Cash in one of the PBA's more than 180 Regional Tournaments; or open PBA Tour and PBA50 Tour tournaments.
There are a lot of good bowlers who can compete on the regional level but getting on the tour full time takes cash. A lot of successful pros live on the road driving their motorhomes and RV's from town to town competing in a tournament. It's easier if you have a sponsor. There was a Documentary back from back in the '00s I think called the League of Ordinary Gentleman that followed some players around for one year on the PBA tour.

Mo-Better

The R&B Master
OG Investor
Yeah, that's true...but the sport has suffered for it in terms of a decline in "real" bowling centers, leagues, and popularity, as well as a declining interest in the pro game.became responsible

This was a game that started out as a family sport. Not anymore, take your family bowling today just bring your paycheck.

Bowling started downhill for a number of reasons One major reason was insurance cost. I know one house manager who told me when bars became responsible for bar patrons actions after the left the bowling alley, they got hit with an insurance increase costing 50K more a year. Cost is what has driven bowling participation downhill. Most bowling lanes today are owned by corporations. The smaller ma and pa centers are just about all gone.

Having bowled for over 40 years I can tell you cost is what drove customers away. My mom started me bowling I guess when I was around 10. Back then 3 games plus shoes cost you a Dollar! I'm talking the early 60s and before the leagues came in for the night. I'm sure today a game is around $6/7. So all the practice I used to get (a full sheet everyday) for around a $20, today might cost close to $50.

As for the pro game on TV. The pure game is gone today all I see is gimmicks. Bowling is not a great spectator sport. If you're not into the game, its boring to watch much like golf. Most guys I bowled with don't watch the game anymore. They don't enjoy it and I concur.

Today's bowling promoters for TV are ruining the game. Bowling is not a hype sport, not like what we see when bowling airs on TV today.

da_monumental_1

LinuxGawd & BOFH
BGOL Investor

Why are you arguing with him when the damn definition for the term sport invalidates everything he's saying?

smoovejazz

Rising Star
Platinum Member
This was a game that started out as a family sport. Not anymore, take your family bowling today just bring your paycheck.

Bowling started downhill for a number of reasons One major reason was insurance cost. I know one house manager who told me when bars became responsible for bar patrons actions after the left the bowling alley, they got hit with an insurance increase costing 50K more a year. Cost is what has driven bowling participation downhill. Most bowling lanes today are owned by corporations. The smaller ma and pa centers are just about all gone.

Having bowled for over 40 years I can tell you cost is what drove customers away. My mom started me bowling I guess when I was around 10. Back then 3 games plus shoes cost you a Dollar! I'm talking the early 60s and before the leagues came in for the night. I'm sure today a game is around $6/7. So all the practice I used to get (a full sheet everyday) for around a $20, today might cost close to $50.

As for the pro game on TV. The pure game is gone today all I see is gimmicks. Bowling is not a great spectator sport. If you're not into the game, its boring to watch much like golf. Most guys I bowled with don't watch the game anymore. They don't enjoy it and I concur.

Today's bowling promoters for TV are ruining the game. Bowling is not a hype sport, not like what we see when bowling airs on TV today.

I agree that it's way too expensive to bowl.