Xavier University of Louisiana and Ochsner Health have agreed to form the fifth HBCU medical school in the country.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Xavier University, Ochsner sign deal to create fifth HBCU medical school in the U.S.​

Xavier Ochsner College of Medicine will be the only HBCU medical school on the Gulf Coast and will train doctors in cultural competencies, said Xavier President Reynold Verret.​

Lottie L. Joyner
Apr 29, 2024
XULA-01.13-I-7116.jpg

Xavier Ochsner College of Medicine will be the only HBCU medical school on the Gulf Coast and will train doctors in cultural competencies, said Xavier President Reynold Verret.

NEW ORLEANS — Xavier University of Louisiana and Ochsner Health leaders signed a legal agreement today to create the nation’s fifth HBCU allopathic medical school, a move that physicians assert can mitigate disparities that kill Black people with some diseases two times more often than others.

The students at Xavier Ochsner College of Medicine, the only HBCU medical school on the Gulf Coast, will receive cultural competency training, said Xavier President Reynold Verret. And in addition to a curriculum that examines and promotes health equity, the doctors of color who graduate from the school will be role models in underserved communities, said Leo Seoane, executive Vice President and Chief Academic Officer at Ochsner.

Who Are The Top 3 Celebrity Philanthropists?

Dr.-Hamilton-STEM-Pathfinder_9235a2.jpg
(Photo courtesy of Ochsner Health)
Those distinct aspects of the medical school are significant because most doctors in the U.S. might not understand customs, challenges, fears and sources of pride within the Black community. And it’s highly unlikely that they look like the people of color they treat. Less than 6% of doctors in the United States are Black. And the health outcomes for Black patients are deadly and dismal.

The CDC reports that Black people are more likely than white people to be current on screenings for breast, cervical and colon cancer. And while white women are more likely to get breast cancer, Black women are 40% more likely to die from it. Even when adjusted for tumor stage when diagnosed with colon cancer, Black people are 20% more likely to die from colon cancer within five years of diagnosis. And Black men are twice as likely to die from prostate cancer than other men.

That’s one of the many reasons that Dr. Yolanda Lawson, president of the National Medical Association, which amplifies the interests of Black doctors and patients, said she is excited and optimistic about the Xavier Oschner medical school. “This is a pathway to reduce and hopefully, ultimately eliminate health care disparities,” she said, referencing an article last year about the effect of having access to a Black doctor. “…Just having a Black physician in the county prolonged the lives of not just Black folks, but white folks, too.”

Xavier, the nation’s only historically Black Catholic university, has long been among the top 10 schools that send African-American graduates to medical school. And Xavier’s College of Pharmacy is among the top producers of Black pharmacists.

Seoane cites that success as a driver in partnering with the school. “Xavier’s excellence in undergrad and in STEM and being able to put more diverse people into medical school, Ochsner’s excellence in residencies and fellowships and an academic medical center, the two coming together with a shared mission to train more Black and brown physicians for the United States just makes sense,” he said.

The opening date of the school is not set, as the accreditation process takes about three years. When the school opens, the first class will include about 50 students.

Along with cultural competency, Verret said the new medical school will equip new doctors to understand patients’ circumstances, have compassion for their struggles and speak to patients in the right tone. That could alleviate concerns among Black patients, who report feeling the need to change how they dress and speak to reduce medical bias.

“Education in medicine is seeing medicine as not just a technological, scientific field,” Verret said. “It is a field that there’s a humanistic dimension of medicine, which we must use as well.”

Recommended Stories​

The Xavier Ochsner College of Medicine will be a subsidiary of Xavier, and will be governed by a joint 50/50 board of Ochsner and Xavier representatives, said Seoane, who will be the founding dean. Ochsner group physicians will become faculty members of the Xavier Ochsner College of Medicine as assistant professors, associate professors and professors.

Ochsner is the largest health care provider in Louisiana. The nonprofit health system serves more than a million people in the Gulf Coast area and has trained medical students with its accredited resident and fellowship programs for more than 50 years.

2022_STAR_081.jpg
(Photo courtesy of Ochsner Health)
That’s the type of support doctors in training need, said Lawson. “For a medical school, you need that hospital relationship,” said the Dallas-based OB-GYN. “That’s been one of the struggles, making sure you have that clinical site.”

There are 189 predominantly white medical schools in the U.S. and only four at HBCUs – Meharry Medical College in Tennessee, Howard University College of Medicine in Washington D.C., Morehouse School of Medicine in Georgia and Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science in California.

That dearth of predominantly Black medical colleges led Lawson to note another benefit of Xavier Ochsner. “Being a person who matriculated through medical school in a PWI…I clocked 18 hours of study a day. That can be isolating,” she said. “You need morale boosts. You need study groups. You want to be able to relax around comrades where you don’t have to code switch. These are cultural things that are important.”

dasailr03

A Goddamn Sailor!
BGOL Investor
Wait until Jeff Landry hears about it, i'm sure he's coming to make shit up and kill the deal. WATCH!!! bitchassgoverna!

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Wait until Jeff Landry hears about it, i'm sure he's coming to make shit up and kill the deal. WATCH!!! bitchassgoverna!
:lol: doubt Jeff can fuck with that Oscher money, especially when they put a little change in his pocket

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
:lol: doubt Jeff can fuck with that Oscher money, especially when they put a little change in his pocket
Right. Over a billion dollars in revenues each year. Pete, the CEO, clears 4 million a year. Yeah he ain’t fucking with it

spider705

Light skin, non ADOS Lebron hater!
BGOL Investor
Man I remember going to Xavier campus as a senior in high school when my sister attended... lord, the women I seen on that campus

:inlove:

yasky777

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Just left New Orleans working with Tulane. Between the Crawfish and women my heart wants to be nowhere else from February to May

COINTELPRO

Transnational Member
Registered
Asian and Indians are going to have relearn this lesson that we already learned the hard way. We could have saved them the trouble since they are trying to emulate us with our Civil Rights movement. Harvard, MIT are white colleges...

Here is a multiple choice question for Asian/Indian since they like test taking:

You are 30% of the graduate students at a prestigious historically white university. Select the right answer:

a: Attack minorities that have a small five percent share to have 40% enrollment with a lawsuit and further reduce the number of white students.
b: Create your own elite college and universities or fly back home to study at schools in your own country.
c: Be a nuisance to various groups that will covertly retaliate against you economically. Bring your failed culture that caused you to migrate to the U.S.

If you picked answer A, than that was a bad choice. It will lead to economic warfare (Tik Tok bans or reducing marketshare (automotive), they will concede the lawsuit victory but punish you in other ways that are far worse. You can file a lawsuit to get rid of formal segregation, but you better have some informal replacement. They can't even send their kids to a University their ancestors built, hell no...

Answer B is your best choice and right answer. When your numbers start to get large enough, you need to start developing your own.

Stop Flooding into a Spot, taking over Mayorship, thinking the white companies or retailers will remain...

The Asian were doing good, the model minority until they filed this ill fated MLK inspired lawsuit. This weak behavior is not typical for them, I am surprised there is very few Asian Universities they have setup.

images

When your numbers are small, they will accept you into their community or university; however, when your % of the population grows, you got to start figuring things out. Housing and schooling that affect their children, they will burn you for that economically.

They overtly discriminate to send a message to you such as redlining. If you defy them, there is misery and hardship that you will suffer. Unless you got the economic development, than you need to listen carefully.

I used to be connected to the collective, I can hear their voices...Right now the black community economic development is spying and other forms of racial cover to white supremacists to make my life miserable. Supporting mass incarceration, murder, contract manufacturing to boost their profits, or bartering me off (Chicago, Los Angeles, Baltimore and Atlanta); I have seen all forms of its.

This is what happens when you flood into an area at 60%, take over mayorship and desperately need jobs that have left.

Last edited:

Thegooch

Pope Gooch is currently brunching with the Devil.
Registered
Which President solidified future HBCU funding????

Someone cares more about welfare than

COINTELPRO

Transnational Member
Registered
Here are other example trying to let you know. Instead of weakly suing Twitter or bartering off other conservatives to Jack Dorsey for better treatment, he started his own platform for conservatives that replicated Twitter that is worth $6 billion. We would do the opposite.

maxresdefault.jpg

imrs.webp

Schools, Housing, and White Women; Stop whistling at their white women/staring like you hungry while ignoring black women ( Emmet Till). I need to use these tactics in the black community, stop trying to barter me off.

Michael Jordan and Lebron James, although lusting after them/staring with intent, dated and procreated with a black women - billionaires; all time scoring leaders, GOAT. OJ Simpson, Tiger Woods, and others were accused of murder or pedophilia, rape; others died a horrible death....

lebron-savannah-james-space-jam-premier-091422-b5a7d36e37bc4a5fa9f2f253721b21c8.jpg

Last edited:

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Southern University could get medical, pharmacy schools if bills pass​

by: Trinity Velazquez
Posted: Apr 30, 2024 / 04:34 PM CDT
Updated: Apr 30, 2024 / 04:34 PM CDT
BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) — Southern University and A&M College could get new medical and pharmacy school programs if two bills pass.
HR51 and HR52, both introduced by Rep. Edmond Jordan (R-La) request that the Southern University Board of Supervisors take the steps necessary to establish a medical school and a school of pharmacy on its Baton Rouge campus.
The resolutions say that a medical school and a school of pharmacy would help students prepare to obtain high-paying jobs in the medical field or the field of pharmaceutical sciences.

ADVERTISING

The resolutions highlight the other benefits of having these schools including meeting workforce demands, encouraging talented students to stay in the community as pharmacists or medical professionals and improving health outcomes for the state.
Louisiana bill advances to ban permitless concealed carrying at parades
If passed, the Southern University System will have to approve and undertake the necessary actions to establish the schools.
We have reached out to Southern for more information.

dasailr03

A Goddamn Sailor!
BGOL Investor
Yo Mask.. I respectfully disagree... dude won the governship with a bullshit low mjaority, has a super majority in both houses and in 5 months already trying to rewrite the state constitution. Man we ain't seen shit yet and at this point, no person or entity seems ready to take Jeff on direct. We seen how Desantis gave Disney that work, you best beliew Jess studied Desantis playbook and will bring it if anybody step out of his line including oschner. Time will prove one of us wrong and one of us right. :)

COINTELPRO

Transnational Member
Registered
170805104651-i-faked-being-black-to-get-into-med-school-00002705.jpg

Vivek-Ramaswamy-in-Vail-Iowa-Douglas-Burns.jpg

I don't want to deal with some racist foreign national doctor, they definitely need more black doctors. The foreign national will flood you will nuisance calls, cling on to you, and chase after you at the grocery store.

I got outpatient selected one due to an ER visit, so you have no choice. I seen white people use various tactics to get rid of doctor from another race.

Once I get my claim processed, I am definitely finding another one.

RUDY RAYYY MO

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Recently left Baton Rouge, I used Ochner while there until I could get an appointment with the VA..very good medical. Used to five finger discount their latex gloves while waiting for Dr....fine sistas work their too rocking thise tight ass scrubs:yes: