Why do leaders of a religion of peace threaten violence when offended?

Greed

Star
Registered
Outrage as Australian Leaders Tell Muslims to Fit In
By Patrick Goodenough
CNSNews.com International Editor
September 05, 2006

(CNSNews.com) - Australian Muslim representatives are voicing outrage at comments by the country's two top politicians, who urged immigrants from Islamic societies to fit in, learn English, treat women with respect, and shun extremism.

An Islamic leader warned that the remarks could antagonize Muslims and lead to a repeat of incidents such as the rioting in a Sydney beachside suburb last December, when groups of youngsters -- described as having a Middle Eastern background -- fought with whites.

Prime Minister John Howard late last week said migrants should integrate into the way of life in their new country but that a minority of Muslims was opposed to accepting Australia's values.

"Fully integrating means accepting Australian values -- it means learning as rapidly as you can the English language if you don't already speak it," he said in a radio interview.

"People who come from societies where women are treated in an inferior fashion have got to learn very quickly that that is not the case in Australia."

Howard's remarks drew a swift and critical response from Muslim leaders.

Ameer Ali, chairman of an advisory group set up by the government to combat extremism in the 300,000-strong Muslim community, told a radio station the remarks could stoke violence.

"We have already witnessed one incident in Sydney recently in Cronulla," he said in reference to last December's riots. "I don't want these scenes to be repeated because when you antagonize the younger generation ... they are bound to react."

Other Muslim community representatives said the line adopted by Howard was encouraging racial tension.

But Howard stood by his position, denied he was singling out Muslims, and refused to apologize.

"No matter what the culture of the country from which they came might have been, Australia requires women to be treated fairly and decently and in the same fashion as men," he told reporters later.

"If any migrants coming to this country have a different view, they'd better get rid of that view pretty quickly."

Howard said while "99 percent" of Muslims in Australia had integrated, it was "self-evident" that a small section was unwilling to do so. "It's up to all of us to try and overcome that resistance."

He said the critical Muslim spokesmen were "missing the point."

Howard also addressed the issue in an op-ed piece published Saturday, in which he said those who reject integration viewed calls to integrate "as some kind of discrimination."

"It is not. It is commonsense and, importantly, it is also a powerful symbol of a new migrant's willingness and enthusiasm about becoming an Australian."

Howard's number two and possible successor, federal Treasurer Peter Costello, endorsed the prime minister's comments, and added some of his own.

Costello said in a television interview Sunday that Australia's successful integration of migrants was attributable to "the attitude that when you come to Australia, whatever arguments you might have had in the old country, we start again and we start again with a common set of values and a common language."

He also said Islamic leaders should be more public and unequivocal in denouncing terrorism being perpetrated "under the cover of religion."

They should also make it clear to prospective converts to Islam "that when you join this religion you do not join a radical political ideology," Costello added.

His comments brought additional condemnation from Muslim representatives, who said they would only further alientate the community.

Writing in Sydney's Sunday Telegraph, conservative columnist Piers Akerman denounced what he called "shrill cries of outrage from self-described leaders in Australia's Islamic community."

In Australia, he wrote, as was the case in the U.S. and Britain, "Muslim organizations have deliberately installed themselves as permanent aliens and adapted a culture of constant carping about the majority, from whom they maintain their isolation with such bitter determination."

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/viewstory.asp?Page=/ForeignBureaus/archive/200609/INT20060905b.html

African Herbsman

Star
Registered
Rape law rankles some Pakistan lawmakers

Tue Sep 5, 5:25 PM ET

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan - Lawmakers from a coalition of six Islamic groups threatened on Tuesday to vacate their parliamentary seats if Pakistan's government changes a rape law criticized by human rights activists.

A walkout by the 68 lawmakers could destabilize the government of President Gen. Pervez Musharraf, criticized by Islamic parties since his ruling party last month presented a bill to amend the law in a bid to protect women's rights.

Pakistan's National Assembly has 344 members. A walkout could force by-elections.

Under the current law, approved by a former military dictator in 1979, prosecuting a rape case requires testimony from four witnesses, making punishment almost impossible because such attacks are rarely public.

A woman who claims she was raped but fails to prove her case can be convicted of adultery, punishable by death.

Maulana Fazalur Rahman, a leader of the Islamic coalition, said Tuesday that lawmakers in his group would vacate their seats in the National Assembly if the government tries to get the assembly's approval to change the law.

"We will render every sacrifice for the protection of the Shariah (traditional Islamic) laws," he said at a news conference.

However, the ruling Pakistan Muslim Party — which has a majority in the assembly — has praised Musharraf for taking steps to amend the law and end the four-witness requirement.

VegasGuy

Star
OG Investor
$64,000.00 question. I can speculate but I'll wait for someone who practices that faith to answer this.

-VG

Makkonnen

The Quizatz Haderach
BGOL Investor
I'd guess they do it for the same reasons Catholics and Christians in general burned people alive for hundreds of years.

VegasGuy

Star
OG Investor
Makkonnen said:
I'd guess they do it for the same reasons Catholics and Christians in general burned people alive for hundreds of years.

Makk, tell what are those same reasons.

-VG

Greed

Star
Registered
Makkonnen said:
So essentially you're saying those Muslims are actually backwards now compared to those other groups.

Interesting.

Makkonnen

The Quizatz Haderach
BGOL Investor
VegasGuy said:
Makk, tell what are those same reasons.

-VG
Okay, why are SOME Muslims pissed when people expect them to change their ways? Because they say it is what their Holy Book tells them to do and fuck anyone telling them different right?

Take the Grand Inquisition? How is that burning people alive shit any different? Enslaving people to bring them Chrisitianity aka Save them? They used to put 500lb slabs of granite of muthafuckas in this country for witchcraft etc.

To this day would you go to a predominately Catholic country and tell them to stop with the bell ringing bullshit and ash wednesday fuckery and expect not to get a death threat or an actual attempt on your life? Personally, I wouldnt roll through certain areas of Ireland talkin bout "Fuck the Pope". And those aint even the leaders.

I think some Muslims have as much in common with Muhammed as some Christians have with Christ.

The Bible says to burn wicked people and stomp their ashes into dust.

I guess some Muslims just believe in the Koran more than most Christians believe in the Bible nowadays :lol:
Some white christians on this planet will kill a non-white person just for existing.
There are all types of extremists out there.

Last edited:

Makkonnen

The Quizatz Haderach
BGOL Investor
Greed said:
So essentially you're saying those Muslims are actually backwards now compared to those other groups.

Interesting.

No. Just trying to point out the common ground that some Muslims and some Christians share so maybe one day they can unite and threaten everyone with violence together in harmony.
They may be backwards politically. Many white christian politicians and religious leaders say basically the same shit in a more toned down coded way.

Also I am referring to some Muslim Clerics I have heard say wild shit because I didn't see anywhere in your post where a religious leader threatened violence. The only thing I saw was a reference to antagonizing the youth and mentioned the riots that took place.

The riots he referenced were last December, 5000 white australians went to the beach to beat down "Lebs and wogs" aka middle eastern people because 2 offduty white lifeguards got into a fight with some middle eastern people.

You should use a better story to refer to religious leaders threatening violence.

Since you apparently don't know about the Riots mentioned
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Cronulla_riots or look it up somewhere other than "cnsnews" :lol:

Makkonnen

The Quizatz Haderach
BGOL Investor
Greed said:
i'll go to democracy now and get the truth.
go anywhere you like and try to prove those riots werent started by 5000 white people going down to the beach to assault middle easterners

you still havent posted shit where a religious leader threatened anyone

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
I can't tell whether this discussion is about religion (muslim vs. non-muslim) or white vs. people of color ...

Makkonnen

The Quizatz Haderach
BGOL Investor
QueEx said:
I can't tell whether this discussion is about religion (muslim vs. non-muslim) or white vs. people of color ...

Well Greed definitely titled the thread with what he thought the article was about. Seems like Greed is having a disconnect with reality since there are no "leaders of a religion of peace threatening violence".

The only leader threatening anyone in the whole article is the Prime Minister of Australia telling muslims "If any migrants coming to this country have a different view, they'd better get rid of that view pretty quickly." .

transcript of an australian news show talking about the SMS message all the white kids sent to each other about going to the beach to start the riot
check out some of the crazy ignorant shit the young white men involved believe - one actually said he is scared Australia is turning islamic fundamentalist wtf? I see America doesnt' corner the market on racism or ignorance.

[frame]http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/content/2006/s1590953.htm[/frame]

oh yeah - hey greed - you're a dumbass

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
<font size="5"><center>"Jihad" car commercial upsets U.S. Muslims</font size></center>

Reuters
Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:31pm ET

CINCINNATI, Sept 24 (Reuters) - A car commercial proclaiming a jihad on the U.S. auto market and offering "Fatwa Fridays" with free swords for the kids is offensive and should not be aired, Muslim leaders said on Sunday.

The radio advertisement for the Dennis Mitsubishi car dealership in Columbus, Ohio, has "a whole jihad theme," said Adnan Mirza, director of the Columbus office of the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

"They are planning on launching a jihad on the automotive market and their representatives would be wearing burqas ... ," Mirza said. "They mentioned the pope in there and also about giving rubber swords out to the kiddies -- really just reprehensible-type comments."

Details of the radio ad, which has not yet been broadcast, have been reported in the local media, but officials at the dealership declined to comment about the content of the radio spot.

Two employees at the dealership said they had been deluged with calls about the commercial.

"The ad has has never been released, it is not out for public listening," said one employee who declined to give his name. He would not say whether the dealership had changed its mind about airing the commercial.

Tokyo-based Mitsubishi Motors Corp. could not immediately be reached for comment.

Mirza said several local radio stations had already rejected the ad and he hoped the controversy would convince the dealership to rethink its sales strategy.

He also said the Council on American-Islamic Relations would likely contact the dealer to "offer some kind of cultural or sensitivity awareness training."

http://today.reuters.com/news/artic...RIDST_0_LIFE-AUTOS-JIHAD.XML&rpc=66&type=qcna

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
COLUMBUS RADIO ADVERTISING

<font size="4">Stations say ‘jihad’ car spots go too far </font size>
Saturday, September 23, 2006
Tim Feran
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

... Calling the commercial aggressive, Masterson said, "This is one where we feel we’re taking a bull’s-eye on terrorists. After all the nonsense that the terrorists put the public through, they’re fair game."

---------------------

"Using that as a promotional pitch when so many are dying from the criminal activity of suicide bombers, that’s not funny," Mobin-Uddin said. "I don’t think it’s appropriate when it causes real pain. It exploits or promotes misunderstanding in terms already misunderstood or misused. That type of ad does nothing but promote discord in a very difficult time. The timing is just amazing. Maybe that’s part of the shock value."

FULL ARTICLE:

GUTS

Potential Star
Registered
Religion's are faith based and socially pushed- Violence is the result of tring to reach a common ground with out allowing a superior viewpoint. There can be only one.-Highlander - Peace can be achieved through violence