Why Are So Many Women Depressed

Fuckallyall

Support BGOL
Registered
Why Are So Many Women Depressed?
Dennis Prager
Tuesday, June 24, 2008

It is widely reported that women suffer depression at twice the rate of men. Apparently, more women are clinically depressed than ever before. On the assumption that these assessments are true, the question anyone interested in the subject -- which means anyone who cares about any woman -- asks is, why?

In a recent column I offered one explanation -- the impossibly high expectations for happiness that feminism created for many women.

There are other possible explanations.

One is the way in which many girls have been raised.

As every wise person and wise culture in history has known, it is impossible to attain any happiness without conquering one's nature. This is, of course, equally true for boys and girls, men and women. However, along with feminism arose a belief in the superiority of female nature. One result of this has been the suppressing of many male instincts -- both negative and positive -- along with little or no suppression of negative female instincts.

Societies and parents always knew that it was imperative to teach boys to control two aspects of their male nature -- their sexual desires and their predilection for violence. So all of us decent men were taught from a young age to touch a woman sexually only with her permission and to channel our physical aggression into sports or into helping to fight evil by joining a police force, or the military, or by being prepared to physically defend innocents. Men who did not learn to control these aspects of male nature not only became bad men, they became unhappy men. Happiness is attainable only when we control our nature and not when our nature controls us.

Societies and parents also always knew that it was imperative to teach girls to control their natures -- in particular their predilection to be ruled by their emotions. Women who allowed their emotions to rule them not only became destructive (to members of their families first and foremost), they became unhappy women.

However, with the advent of contemporary feminism and other social trends that coincided with the rise of feminism -- among them the elevation of compassion over standards, the great emphasis placed on feelings, the rejection of patriarchy and the devaluation of traditional masculine virtues (like subdued emotional expression) -- female nature came to be seen as far less in need of discipline than male nature.

So, while society continued to teach boys to control themselves, it stopped teaching girls to do so. Girls' emotions and feelings were inherently valuable. And denying this was attacked as sexist, if not misogynistic.

Consequently, the women many of these girls grew into lacked the ability to control their natures, to control their emotions, or their moods, and therefore lacked the facility to engage in the self-control necessary for happiness and the avoidance of depression.

Another aspect of feminism that has probably contributed to many women's unhappiness was the rejection of femininity. Feminism was more often the celebration of masculine virtues (for women only, alas) than the celebration of feminine virtues. The latter were usually dismissed as weak, passive, underachieving or even oppressive. There are scores of examples. One is the rejection of feminine dress -- a girl who attends class at almost any high school or college wearing a skirt or dress is an anomaly. Another is coarse speech. A generation ago, men refrained from using curse words in front of women. Today many young women curse as readily as men (I have probably seen more women than men drivers make an obscene gesture at other drivers). Such behaviors were inconceivable when women were expected to act feminine. And, of course, the "liberated" female's celebration of casual sex, throughout history associated with male nature, is the antithesis of femininity.

This loss of femininity may well have contributed to many women's depression. Though in our foolish age femininity is often identified with weakness, it was in fact empowering for many women, giving them a distinct power and identity that was unavailable to men. Women are not generally happy being largely indistinguishable from men.

Which brings us to yet another cause of unhappiness among women -- the effects of all the above on men. Women are generally happier when they have a good man in their lives. And by "good man," I mean not only devoted and kind, but masculine as well. Yet the prevailing egalitarian doctrines have conspired not only to undermine femininity in women but masculinity in many men. Just as women were supposed to forge feminine virtues, men were supposed to relinquish masculine virtues, which have been derided as sexist, oppressive, patriarchal and, therefore, anachronistic.

However, once again, things did not work out for many women as feminism had led them to expect they would. The dearth of masculine men has not brought most women happiness, but unhappiness. Those who do not believe this should simply ask single adult women looking for a husband what their greatest problem is with the men they meet. "They are not men," is the single greatest lament. Not "they are not egalitarian enough" or "not sensitive enough."

And women without men are not, as the old feminist saying went, fish without bicycles. They are women without men.

The 1960s ushered in The Age of Hubris, a time of almost unprecedented levels of conceit that one knew better than all previous generations how to order life, that almost everything inherited from the past was just plain wrong and outdated. For this hubris we have paid, and will continue to pay, a steep price. And many women, untrained in subduing darker aspects of their natures, deprived of the female joy of femininity and increasingly deprived of men (as opposed to boys), are feeling the brunt of these losses. They call it depression.

Copyright © 2008 Salem Web Network. All Rights Reserved.

GET YOU HOT

Superfly Moderator
BGOL Investor
:hmm:

Let me try that too: Why are so many women depressed?

. . . waiting on same answer from GYH. :D

QueEx

I listen to his radio talk show often on the way to work. I don't like his opinions, but I force myself to listen because he has good subject matter. His listeners are from all types, he gets some great responses.

As for women being depressed, I could imagine, that they are relying on other people, for their own happiness, it must be manifested oneself, if that makes sense? Also, one must see self-worth and happiness with some not so excitable things, systematic, consistant accomplishments. There, will the fruits of their labor and discipline, self worth and confidence in oneself grow...

Fuckallyall

Support BGOL
Registered
I listen to his radio talk show often on the way to work. I don't like his opinions, but I force myself to listen because he has good subject matter. His listeners are from all types, he gets some great responses.

As for women being depressed, I could imagine, that they are relying on other people, for their own happiness, it must be manifested oneself, if that makes sense? Also, one must see self-worth and happiness with some not so excitable things, systematic, consistant accomplishments. There, will the fruits of their labor and discipline, self worth and confidence in oneself grow...

I think you may agree with Prager more than you are comfortable admitting to. But anyway, to shorten your sentiment, I use a slogan I got from being in AA - "Happiness is an inside job".

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator

Thats not the answer I was looking for (I was looking for a fuck QueEx ;)), however, it is a response I can also accept and concur. I agree that it is important to control the emotions, whether male or female, because in my view acting from emotions tends to deny an individual the ability to act and engage in problem solving from "reason". I have seen many men who act/react from the emotions but, without question, I see far more women than men with that trait.

There are a number of things I would take issue with in the article, one being it is well known (I think most would agree) that Black women were, by and large, less influenced by and, to some degree, unaffected by the women's movement. Hence, I'm not so sure that the women's movement explains any unhappiness in the greatest of cases among Black women, to the extent that they, as a group, suffer from unhappiness.

QueEx

GET YOU HOT

Superfly Moderator
BGOL Investor
I think you may agree with Prager more than you are comfortable admitting to. But anyway, to shorten your sentiment, I use a slogan I got from being in AA - "Happiness is an inside job".

Stop trying to think for me, I said fuck him and I don't like his opinions, I force myself to listen, do I make myself clear...?:angry:

Fuckallyall

Support BGOL
Registered
Stop trying to think for me, I said fuck him and I don't like his opinions, I force myself to listen, do I make myself clear...?:angry:

Don't flatter yourself, I don't need to think for you. I just put forth my opinion. If you don't like it, tough. But, you never addressed the content of the article, you just made an ad hominem attack.

Interesting, :rolleyes:

Last edited:

gameboy

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
men & women are depressed,,, the economy is fucked up,,, gas is high,,, people are losing their houses more than anytime in history,,, some people are going to be depressed by that (along with everyday stress & personal problems),,,

not me though,,, i'm happy to be alive & healthy

Fuckallyall

Support BGOL
Registered
men & women are depressed,,, the economy is fucked up,,, gas is high,,, people are losing their houses more than anytime in history,,, some people are going to be depressed by that (along with everyday stress & personal problems),,,

not me though,,, i'm happy to be alive & healthy

Good points, all. But, many of the people losing tier house actually abandon them, as they no longer see a cost benefit of paying for a house not worth what it once was.

GET YOU HOT

Superfly Moderator
BGOL Investor
Don't flatter yourself, I don't need to think for you. I just put forth my opinion. If you don't like it, tough. But, you never addressed the content of the article, you just made an ad hominem attack.

Interesting, :rolleyes:

Liking or disliking are not an issue in your case, it is however a problem when you use your skewed sense of logic, to try and deciper my words. I was consise and clear with my first statment.

I didn't respond to you, but I did clearly, state my opinion, regarding the article, it was my personal opinion, whether you like it or not...

>>>>I second that Gameboy, I am, alive and healthy....

TheDynasty

Certified Genius
BGOL Investor
Why Are So Many Women Depressed?
Dennis Prager
Tuesday, June 24, 2008

It is widely reported that women suffer depression at twice the rate of men. Apparently, more women are clinically depressed than ever before. On the assumption that these assessments are true, the question anyone interested in the subject -- which means anyone who cares about any woman -- asks is, why?

In a recent column I offered one explanation -- the impossibly high expectations for happiness that feminism created for many women.

There are other possible explanations.

One is the way in which many girls have been raised.

As every wise person and wise culture in history has known, it is impossible to attain any happiness without conquering one's nature. This is, of course, equally true for boys and girls, men and women. However, along with feminism arose a belief in the superiority of female nature. One result of this has been the suppressing of many male instincts -- both negative and positive -- along with little or no suppression of negative female instincts.

Societies and parents always knew that it was imperative to teach boys to control two aspects of their male nature -- their sexual desires and their predilection for violence. So all of us decent men were taught from a young age to touch a woman sexually only with her permission and to channel our physical aggression into sports or into helping to fight evil by joining a police force, or the military, or by being prepared to physically defend innocents. Men who did not learn to control these aspects of male nature not only became bad men, they became unhappy men. Happiness is attainable only when we control our nature and not when our nature controls us.

Societies and parents also always knew that it was imperative to teach girls to control their natures -- in particular their predilection to be ruled by their emotions. Women who allowed their emotions to rule them not only became destructive (to members of their families first and foremost), they became unhappy women.

However, with the advent of contemporary feminism and other social trends that coincided with the rise of feminism -- among them the elevation of compassion over standards, the great emphasis placed on feelings, the rejection of patriarchy and the devaluation of traditional masculine virtues (like subdued emotional expression) -- female nature came to be seen as far less in need of discipline than male nature.

So, while society continued to teach boys to control themselves, it stopped teaching girls to do so. Girls' emotions and feelings were inherently valuable. And denying this was attacked as sexist, if not misogynistic.

Consequently, the women many of these girls grew into lacked the ability to control their natures, to control their emotions, or their moods, and therefore lacked the facility to engage in the self-control necessary for happiness and the avoidance of depression.

Another aspect of feminism that has probably contributed to many women's unhappiness was the rejection of femininity. Feminism was more often the celebration of masculine virtues (for women only, alas) than the celebration of feminine virtues. The latter were usually dismissed as weak, passive, underachieving or even oppressive. There are scores of examples. One is the rejection of feminine dress -- a girl who attends class at almost any high school or college wearing a skirt or dress is an anomaly. Another is coarse speech. A generation ago, men refrained from using curse words in front of women. Today many young women curse as readily as men (I have probably seen more women than men drivers make an obscene gesture at other drivers). Such behaviors were inconceivable when women were expected to act feminine. And, of course, the "liberated" female's celebration of casual sex, throughout history associated with male nature, is the antithesis of femininity.

This loss of femininity may well have contributed to many women's depression. Though in our foolish age femininity is often identified with weakness, it was in fact empowering for many women, giving them a distinct power and identity that was unavailable to men. Women are not generally happy being largely indistinguishable from men.

Which brings us to yet another cause of unhappiness among women -- the effects of all the above on men. Women are generally happier when they have a good man in their lives. And by "good man," I mean not only devoted and kind, but masculine as well. Yet the prevailing egalitarian doctrines have conspired not only to undermine femininity in women but masculinity in many men. Just as women were supposed to forge feminine virtues, men were supposed to relinquish masculine virtues, which have been derided as sexist, oppressive, patriarchal and, therefore, anachronistic.

However, once again, things did not work out for many women as feminism had led them to expect they would. The dearth of masculine men has not brought most women happiness, but unhappiness. Those who do not believe this should simply ask single adult women looking for a husband what their greatest problem is with the men they meet. "They are not men," is the single greatest lament. Not "they are not egalitarian enough" or "not sensitive enough."

And women without men are not, as the old feminist saying went, fish without bicycles. They are women without men.

The 1960s ushered in The Age of Hubris, a time of almost unprecedented levels of conceit that one knew better than all previous generations how to order life, that almost everything inherited from the past was just plain wrong and outdated. For this hubris we have paid, and will continue to pay, a steep price. And many women, untrained in subduing darker aspects of their natures, deprived of the female joy of femininity and increasingly deprived of men (as opposed to boys), are feeling the brunt of these losses. They call it depression.

Copyright © 2008 Salem Web Network. All Rights Reserved.

The establishment has been successful into turning women into men and men into women. With roles reversed and natures changed, the chances of finding your natural role (I.E. identity) can become a tiring mental test of endurance resulting in the possibility of depression. However, this wouldn't be applicable to everyone. As much I hate the ignorance of men..I hate feminism and feminists even more so to the point where my anger tips over to blood red.

Fuckallyall

Support BGOL
Registered
Liking or disliking are not an issue in your case, it is however a problem when you use your skewed sense of logic, to try and deciper my words. I was consise and clear with my first statment.

I didn't respond to you, but I did clearly, state my opinion, regarding the article, it was my personal opinion, whether you like it or not...

>>>>I second that Gameboy, I am, alive and healthy....

What you just said makes no sense, but, that does not surprise me. Have fun...

GET YOU HOT

Superfly Moderator
BGOL Investor
What you just said makes no sense, but, that does not surprise me. Have fun...

See my friend, you think, somehow I am worthy of your criticism, that you you can read into my experience, thoughts and emotions, LOL, somehow. Admit that your meager attempt at enlightening your misunderstanding, of your female counterpart, brought you to post the article, hmmm. Respect.

Makes you wonder huh...? How did that whiteman, come to the conclusion, that many women are depressed? Let me tell you. He didn't. Depression transcends many cultural identities. Where do you begin, where do you end? Crab.

If one, is a regular listener of Dennis Pragar and his subject matter, they would know, that he relies on his listeners to make his show interesting. Whether you agree or not, with his opinion, he will get the last word in. It's his show.

The subject matter, failed. So you attempted, to personalize a matter, of which you could not, directly address this blackwoman with. Listen.

All blacks, are survivors, many of us strive, to further our race, you my friend fail to recognize our accomplishments. Uplift.

No need, to tell me to have fun, that's one of the things, I strive to do...Recognize.

TheDynasty

Certified Genius
BGOL Investor
See my friend, you think, somehow I am worthy of your criticism, that you you can read into my experience, thoughts and emotions, LOL, somehow. Admit that your meager attempt at enlightening your misunderstanding, of your female counterpart, brought you to post the article, hmmm. Respect.

Makes you wonder huh...? How did that whiteman, come to the conclusion, that many women are depressed? Let me tell you. He didn't. Depression transcends many cultural identities. Where do you begin, where do you end? Crab.

If one, is a regular listener of Dennis Pragar and his subject matter, they would know, that he relies on his listeners to make his show interesting. Whether you agree or not, with his opinion, he will get the last word in. It's his show.

The subject matter, failed. So you attempted, to personalize a matter, of which you could not, directly address this blackwoman with. Listen.

All blacks, are survivors, many of us strive, to further our race, you my friend fail to recognize our accomplishments. Uplift.

No need, to tell me to have fun, that's one of the things, I strive to do...Recognize.

Incredibly well stated.

Who is the establishment ???

QueEx

Why do you ask a me question you already know the answer to? Ask the Rockefellers, DuPonts, Rothschild, etc, etc..

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
On the contrary, I don't know who you are referring to. I have a slight problem, you see, with pointing vague fingers and ghostly problems. If you don't know exactly who the culprits are, then I find it difficult to trust the possible solutions, as well. Hence, I strongly dislike words like "they" as they often mean someone is talking shit, without knowing.

QueEx

Fuckallyall

Support BGOL
Registered

Actually, he got from from a report published by NAMI (The National Association of Mental Health). Here is an exceprt -

Women and Depression
Women and Depression is a new brochure about the many dimensions of major depression in women.

Preview Women and Depression
Purchase Women and Depression from the NAMI store.
Some facts:

An estimated one in eight women will experience depression in their lifetimes; twice the rate as men, regardless of race or ethnic background.
Middle-aged Hispanic women have the highest rate of depressive symptoms, followed by middle-aged African American women.
Young Asian American women have the highest rate of younger groups and the 2nd highest rate of suicide among 15 to 24 year olds. American Indians and Alaska Native adolescents are the most likely to attempt suicide and die from it.
“Nearly 18 million Americans experience depression every year,” says NAMI medical director Ken Duckworth, M.D. “The good news is that with a correct diagnosis, most people can be treated effectively. The bad news is that two-thirds of all people living with depression don’t get the help they need.”

“Some experiences related to depression are unique to women, including post-partum changes, infertility, and hormonal fluctuations throughout the course of life,” Duckworth said. “Information in the brochure will help women to help themselves—as well as other women. All family members will benefit by using it as a reference.”

Major depression is a medical illness that affects a person’s mind, mood, body, and behavior. It is more than “feeling down” because of a recent loss or family, work or financial stresses; it occurs when these feelings become more intense and persist to the point that they affect daily functioning.

The 13-page brochure highlights symptoms, causes, women of color, life stages, and treatment, with additional sections on seeking professional help, self-help, preventing recurrent depression, and helping other women.

Here is the hyperlink to the brochure

http://www.nami.org/Content/ContentGroups/Helpline1/FINALWomensDepressionBrochure.pdf

If you comprehended the FIRST sentence of his article, he stated "it is widely reported". He did not state his opinion on whether women were more likely to suffer depression, he just pondered as to why.

I know that depression trancends culture and race. That does not mean that there cannot be any cultural contributors to it. Quite the contrary, cultural contributors can be significant stressors. And that is what he discusses, and on this subject, patrially agree with.

You can get as mad and dismissive as you want. I will still post what I believe to true and prove it. You are continuing to prove his point that it is just as counter-productive to not teach females to manage thier passions as it is for males, and it will more likely lead to a negative outcome.

TheDynasty

Certified Genius
BGOL Investor
On the contrary, I don't know who you are referring to. I have a slight problem, you see, with pointing vague fingers and ghostly problems. If you don't know exactly who the culprits are, then I find it difficult to trust the possible solutions, as well. Hence, I strongly dislike words like "they" as they often mean someone is talking shit, without knowing.

QueEx

Nothing wrong with that.

GET YOU HOT

Superfly Moderator
BGOL Investor
I know that depression trancends culture and race. That does not mean that there cannot be any cultural contributors to it. Quite the contrary, cultural contributors can be significant stressors. And that is what he discusses, and on this subject, patrially agree with.

You can get as mad and dismissive as you want. I will still post what I believe to true and prove it. You are continuing to prove his point that it is just as counter-productive to not teach females to manage thier passions as it is for males, and it will more likely lead to a negative outcome.

Are women more prone to depression?
Culture has everything to do with depression, so does body chemistry & chemical imbalance and a billion other factors...:hmm:

Proves nothing.
Where do you see me get mad?
Dismissive? Keep it businesslike, I'm here to discuss... LOL.

I saw where you posted the other thread like this, it got little views and few comments, WHY...?

Now and forever, parents and peers help manage eachother, where attention and interaction is lacking, that, gives way for trouble and misunderstanding...

DiamondDeuce

Support BGOL
Registered
Fuck it I'll bite.

I think society still puts a great deal of pressure on women to define themselves by their perceived desirability from men.

Bitches aint getting married these days.... Men and choosing them for wives.

Hence women get depressed cuz they are not getting "chosen" and then they feel worthless........