Who is Trump considering to replace Jeff Sessions ???

Discussion in 'Politics and the Topics of the day' started by MASTERBAKER, Nov 8, 2018.

1. MASTERBAKER

MASTERBAKER ヽ(͡° ͜ʖ Grown Folks Board/cooking Super Moderator

[​IMG]
    (Photo by Phillip Faraone/Getty Images for Politicon)

Report: Chris Christie being considered to replace Jeff Sessions
    NOVEMBER 08, 2018 - 10:14 AM

CATEGORIES:

Politics

WASHINGTON (1010 WINS) -- Reports say former New Jersey Governor Chris Christie is being considered to fill Jeff Sessions' role as Attorney General.

[​IMG]
    Donald J. Trump

✔@realDonaldTrump

· 22h

We are pleased to announce that Matthew G. Whitaker, Chief of Staff to Attorney General Jeff Sessions at the Department of Justice, will become our new Acting Attorney General of the United States. He will serve our Country well....

[​IMG]
    Donald J. Trump

✔@realDonaldTrump

....We thank Attorney General Jeff Sessions for his service, and wish him well! A permanent replacement will be nominated at a later date.

2:44 PM - Nov 7, 2018
    Twitter Ads info and privacy

CBS News reports Christie could get the gig after Sessions announced his resignation on Wednesday.

RELATED: Jeff Sessions Fires Former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe | Trump Says He Would ‘Love To’ Speak To Special Counsel Robert Mueller | Sources: Trump Mulls Firing Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein

The president had apparently been angry with Sessions for recusing himself from the Russia investigation, which led to the appointment of Special Counsel Robert Mueller.

Instead of naming Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein to replace Sessions on an interim basis, President Trump chose Sessions' Chief of Staff Matthew Whittaker.

[​IMG]
    Donald J. Trump

✔@realDonaldTrump

We are pleased to announce that Matthew G. Whitaker, Chief of Staff to Attorney General Jeff Sessions at the Department of Justice, will become our new Acting Attorney General of the United States. He will serve our Country well....

2:44 PM - Nov 7, 2018
    Twitter Ads info and privacy

Christie served as a U.S. attorney before being elected governor in New Jersey. He is a long time friend of President Trump.

Whittaker is a person who has openly expressed concerns about the special counsel. Rod Rosenstein, the man he is replacing overseeing Mueller, has said time and again that Mueller is not on a witch hunt, and is by and large thought to have protected the special counsel.

Whittaker released a statement saying he is committed to leading a fair department with the highest ethical standards that upholds the rule of law.

It remains to be seen what kind of relationship Whittaker will have with Mueller.

2. QueEx

QueEx Well-Known Member Super Moderator

Trump considering retired judge as attorney general

upload_2018-11-11_16-31-10.jpeg

BY ANITA KUMAR
    AND KEVIN G. HALL
    McClatchy DC
    akumar@mcclatchydc.com
    khall@mcclatchydc.com
    November 07, 2018

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump is seriously considering naming Janice Rogers Brown, a retired D.C. circuit judge and former California Supreme Court justice who is well-liked in conservative circles, his next attorney general, according to a person familiar with the situation.

Brown, who served alongside with now Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh, has spoken to the White House about the job in recent weeks, even before Trump fired Attorney General Jeff Sessions on Wednesday. [b{Several conservative lawyers are recommending Brown,[/b] who is black. She stepped down last year after serving a dozen years.

Sessions had long been a target of Trump’s ire for recusing himself from oversight of Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election. Sessions had been a campaign adviser to Trump in 2016.

Several other high-profile officials, including Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach and retiring Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi, have also been mentioned.

Trump considered Kobach, architect of one of the nation’s toughest immigration laws, for various jobs at the start of his term but some aides did not think he could be confirmed by the Senate, where Republicans hold a slim majority.

At a rally in Topeka earlier this year, Trump talked about his affection for Kobach, whom he endorsed for governor. “So a man that’s been with me from the beginning, he’s tough, he’s strong and I hated that he ran because I would have loved to have brought him into my administration, effectively loses, I’ll bring him into my administration in two seconds,” he said. “I hope he loses because I want him so badly. But don’t do that.”

Trump appointed Kobach to lead his presidential commission into voter fraud, which was eventually disbanded after states refused to turn over data.

Kobach’s campaign manager, J.R. Claeys, said Kobach, who lost his bid to become governor Tuesday, is “well suited” to become attorney general. “It does make complete sense,” Claeys said. “I haven’t had any discussions with him where this has come up... just knowing Kris as well as I do now, and knowing his history and knowing his relationship with the president and the trust he has from the president, I think it’s definitely a possibility.”

Bondi, who is term-limited, will be replaced by former Hillsborough County Circuit Judge Ashley Moody, who was elected Tuesday. Her office declined to comment.

Trump immediately named Matthew Whitaker, who had been Sessions’ chief of staff at the Justice Department and served as U.S. attorney in Iowa, as acting attorney general.

Other names reportedly being mentioned for the permanent position include Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar, Transportation Department general counsel Steven Bradbury, former Attorney General Bill Barr, Deputy Secretary of State John Sullivan.

Retiring Rep. Trey Gowdy, R-S.C., Sen. Lindsay Graham, R-S.C., and Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, have said they do not want the job.

Bryan Lowry and Hunter Woodall in Kansas City contributed.

Read more here: https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/justice/doj/article221308580.html#storylink=cpy