• Good Guys Wear Black

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Warriors

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What is the best (or your favorite) mainstream urban crime/action movie of the 70's?

225px-Dirty_harry.jpg

Dirty Harry is a 1971 American neo-noir[2][3] action-thriller film produced and directed by Don Siegel, the first in the Dirty Harry series. Clint Eastwood plays the title role, in his first outing as San Francisco Police Department (SFPD) Inspector "Dirty" Harry Callahan. The film drew upon the real life case of the Zodiac Killer as the Callahan character seeks out a similar vicious psychopath.

220px-Death_wish_movie_poster.jpg

Death Wish is a 1974 American vigilante action drama film loosely based on the 1972 novel of the same title by Brian Garfield. The film was directed by Michael Winner and stars Charles Bronson as Paul Kersey, an architect who becomes a vigilante after his wife is murdered and his daughter sexually assaulted during a home invasion.

220px-TheFrenchConnection.jpg

The French Connection is a 1971 American action-thriller film[6] directed by William Friedkin. The screenplay, written by Ernest Tidyman, is based on Robin Moore's 1969 non-fiction book The French Connection. It tells the story of New York Police Department detectives Jimmy "Popeye" Doyle and Buddy "Cloudy" Russo, whose real-life counterparts were Narcotics Detectives Eddie Egan and Sonny Grosso, in pursuit of wealthy French heroin smuggler Alain Charnier. The film stars Gene Hackman as Popeye, Roy Scheider as Cloudy, and Fernando Rey as Charnier. Tony Lo Bianco and Marcel Bozzuffi also star.

220px-Taxi_Driver_%281976_film_poster%29.jpg

Taxi Driver is a 1976 American film directed by Martin Scorsese, written by Paul Schrader, and starring Robert De Niro, Jodie Foster, Cybill Shepherd, Harvey Keitel, Peter Boyle, Leonard Harris, and Albert Brooks. Set in a decaying and morally bankrupt New York City following the Vietnam War, the film follows Travis Bickle, a taxi driver and veteran, and his mental state as he works nights in the city.

220px-Serpico_imp.jpg

Serpico is a 1973 biographical-crime film directed by Sidney Lumet and starring Al Pacino. The screenplay was adapted by Waldo Salt and Norman Wexler from the book of the same name written by Peter Maas with the assistance of its subject, Frank Serpico. The story details Serpico's struggle with corruption within the New York City Police Department during his eleven years of service, and his work as a whistleblower that led to the investigation by the Knapp Commission.

The_Getaway_1972_poster.jpg

The Getaway is a 1972 American action thriller film based on the 1958 novel by Jim Thompson. The film was directed by Sam Peckinpah, written by Walter Hill, and stars Steve McQueen, Ali MacGraw, Ben Johnson, Al Lettieri, and Sally Struthers. The plot follows imprisoned mastermind robber Carter "Doc" McCoy (McQueen), whose wife Carol (MacGraw) conspires for his release on the condition they rob a bank in Texas. A double-cross follows the crime and the McCoys are forced to flee for Mexico with the police and criminals in hot pursuit.

220px-Mean_Streets_original_1973_theatrical_poster.png

Mean Streets is a 1973 American crime film directed by Martin Scorsese and co-written by Scorsese and Mardik Martin. The film stars Harvey Keitel and Robert De Niro. It was released by Warner Bros. on October 2, 1973. De Niro won the National Society of Film Critics award for Best Supporting Actor for his role as "Johnny Boy" Civello.

220px-Assault_on_precinct_thirteen_movie_poster.jpg

Assault on Precinct 13 is a 1976 American action thriller film written, directed, scored, and edited by John Carpenter.[2] Austin Stoker stars as a police officer who defends a defunct precinct against a relentless criminal gang, along with Darwin Joston as a convicted murderer who helps him. Laurie Zimmer, Tony Burton, Martin West, and Nancy Kyes co-star as other defenders of the precinct.

220px-Badge_373_poster.jpg

Badge 373 is a 1973 American neo noir crime thriller film inspired, as was The French Connection, by the life and career of Eddie Egan, here called "Eddie Ryan". The film, which has a screenplay by journalist Pete Hamill, was co-produced and directed by Howard W. Koch, and stars Robert Duvall as Ryan, with Verna Bloom, Henry Darrow and Eddie Egan himself as a police lieutenant.

220px-McQposter.jpg

McQ is a 1974 American neo-noir action crime film directed by John Sturges, starring John Wayne, and filmed in Panavision. The film makes extensive use of locations in Seattle, but the beach scenes were filmed on the Pacific coast at Moclips. Eddie Albert and Diana Muldaur co-star. The film also features Roger E. Mosley as a pimp and police snitch, Clu Gulager as a corrupt police detective, Colleen Dewhurst as a waitress who is a cocaine addict and informant, and Al Lettieri in one of his final roles, as the most visible villain of the film, the drug king Santiago.

220px-Good_Guys_Wear_Black_%28movie_poster%29.jpg

Good Guys Wear Black is a 1978 American martial arts action film starring Chuck Norris and directed by Ted Post.[4][5] This was the second film to feature Norris as the star, following Breaker! Breaker! (1977).[6] However, this is the one that Norris considers his "breakthrough".

220px-TheWarriors_1979_Movie_Poster.jpg

The Warriors is a 1979 American action crime thriller film directed by Walter Hill. Based on Sol Yurick's 1965 novel of the same name, it was released in the United States in February 1979. The film centers on a fictitious New York City street gang who must travel 30 miles (48 km), from the north end of the Bronx to their home turf in Coney Island in southern Brooklyn, after they are framed for the murder of a respected gang leader.

Last edited:

lazarus

waking people up
BGOL Investor
acting wise - taxi driver, serpico.

action wise - french connection, getaway. set the standard for car chases

Paul1970

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I like (almost) all of the Action/Crime movies of the 1970's.

Here's some others..

Freebie & The Bean(1974)

The New Centurions(1972)

The Friends Of Eddie Coyle(1973)

Rolling Thunder(1977)

The Silent Partner(1978)

Last edited:

Darkness's

" Jackie Reinhart is a lady.."
Registered
Ok I'll play among. what y'all kniw about dog day afternoon. Starring al pacino?

Megatron X

A Prophet of Doom
BGOL Investor
Charles Bronson and Clint Eastwood never been in a movie together. I thought they did but didn’t. I would’ve wanted to see those two in a tough guy movie.

madgoose

International
International Member
But you know what I meant when I said it son, all in the context.

Sounds as nonsensical as 'reverse racism.'

There is some good films in that list, if I were to choose one I would probably have to vote for one of the true stories. Serpico or French Connection.

XXXplosive

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Didn't know this was the name of these types of movies. LOL
I've always liked these types of movies from the 70s and early 80s, especially the ones set in NYC.
My favorite from that bunch is probably Taxi Driver. The French Connection is another good one.

ballscout1

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Charles Bronson and Clint Eastwood never been in a movie together. I thought they did but didn’t. I would’ve wanted to see those two in a tough guy movie.

Yeah they should have..At least they did do a Tv show together

But you right, they could have done an epic western in their heyday

chilibrick

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
From the list I chose “Mean Streets”.

But this cult classic definitely should have been on the list for sure.

MV5BMjE1NDY0NDk3Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTAzMTM3NA@@._V1_.jpg