Which Is The Best BBQ State: Texas Or North Carolina?

Which Is The Best BBQ State: Texas Or North Carolina?

• Texas

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • North Carolina

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Which is the best (or your favorite) barbecue state between the two?

Texas barbecue traditions can be divided into four general styles: East Texas, Central Texas, South Texas, and West Texas.The Central and East Texas varieties are generally the most well-known.[2] Author Griffin Smith, Jr. in a 1973 Texas Monthly article described the dividing line between the two styles as "a line running from Columbus and Hearne northward between Dallas and Fort Worth". Additionally, in deep South Texas and along the Rio Grande valley a Mexican style of meat preparation known as barbacoa can be found. The word barbacoa in Spanish means barbecue though in English it is often used specifically to refer to Mexican varieties of preparation.
Generally speaking the different Texas barbecue styles are distinguished as follows. In the East Texas style the beef is slowly cooked to the point that it is "falling off the bone", typically over hickory wood, and marinated in a sweet, tomato-based sauce. In the Central Texas style the meat is rubbed with spices and cooked over indirect heat from pecan or oak wood. In the West Texas style the meat is cooked over direct heat from mesquite wood giving it a somewhat bitter taste. The South Texas style features thick, molasses-like sauces that keep the meat very moist. The barbacoa tradition is somewhat different than all of these. Though beef may be used, goat or sheep meat are common as well (sometimes even the whole animal may be used). In its most traditional form barbacoa is prepared in a hole dug in the ground and covered with maguey leaves.

Barbecue is a large part of the heritage and history of North Carolina. It has resulted in a series of bills and laws that relate to the subject, and at times has been a politically charged subject. In part, this is due to the existence of two distinct types of barbecue that have developed over the last few hundred years: Lexington style and Eastern style. Both are pork based barbecues but differ in the cuts of pork used and the sauces they are served with. In addition, a wide variety of other types of barbecue can be found as well.
Lexington style barbecue (occasionally referred to as Piedmont style) uses a vinegar-based "red" sauce that is seasoned with ketchup, vinegar, and pepper, along with other spices that vary from recipe to recipe. It is most common in the Piedmont (central) and western areas of the state. This style uses only the pork shoulder section of the pig. As with other styles of barbecue, the recipes vary widely, and can include many different ingredients, and range from slightly sweet to hot and spicy. The sauce also serves as the seasoning base for "red slaw" (also called "barbecue slaw"), which is coleslaw made by using Lexington-style barbecue sauce (or similar) in place of mayonnaise.
Eastern-style barbecue is a whole-hog style of barbecue, often said to use "every part of the hog except the squeal".[5] Eastern-style sauce is vinegar- and pepper-based, with no tomato whatsoever.

Which Is The Best BBQ City:Memphis Or Kansas City?
http://www.bgol.us/board/showthread.php?t=754440

Last edited:

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
North Carolina
4f6170ebe507405a32facb9ebafbde3f

robfmnola

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm im San Antonio right now. Please tell me where the good shit at. I tried Bill Millers and they were ok. But S.A. has to have more to offer.

Dr. Truth

GOD to all Women
BGOL Investor
Texas is overrated with all that beef and shit they make. NC is better since I like more vinegar and mustard based sauces and pork. I don’t eat beef and beef ribs are a joke .

Thedod

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Texas has hot links that are amazing. I dont think they compare to anywhere else in the US