What Kind of Athlete Were You: Bench Press, 40 Yard Dash, etc.

dwall12

Potential Star
Registered
About 6 or 7 years ago Sport Illustrated had a article about the bogus 40 yard dash times the NFL were claiming the athletes were running. Dudes running sub 4.2's in the 40 yard dash FAT is pure bullshit. In track and field races, the runner must react to the starting gun, which can take 0.10 to 0.20 seconds. For electronically timed 40 yard dashes, the runner is allowed to start when he wishes, and a timer hand-starts the clock (after a reaction time that is often considered to average 0.24 seconds when a starter reacts to the smoke of the starting gun).

So mf gonna tell me that on perfect day, perfect start, perfect track and a mf who who had the best reaction time ever in the history that NFL players with heavy ass cleats on and have the advantage of starting when they want to start can battle with the top 100 meter athletes in the world...is so then why hasnt the NFL created the NFL track club and set world records

:smh:

I went to U of Tenn and i have watch many scouts and football combines at school. And when they time th e 40 they don't have to wear cleats, most of them wear track spikes. and true they can start when ever they want to, but the timers go off of when your hand leaves the ground. You are right though, there is a margin for error with hand times. I have also seen many track guys go out there and run run 4.0 or 4.1. since they were probably just walk on on the football team or haven't played since high school, they make them run it at least 3 times because they don't believe someone is that fast. Especially someone they never heard of. One of my frat brother got on with the falcons that way. he ran track all four years and his fourth year he walked on the football team. he didn't play much, but got the opportunity to try out based of his combine performance. He did play much with Atalanta, but he was able to last 4 years with them.

LeftyLuchini

Star
Registered
Naw those 40 times are not true

But it is another Canadian, Ben Johnson, who is believed to have run 40 yards faster than any human in history. Johnson is best known for injecting copious amounts of steroids and winning the 100 meters at the 1988 Olympics in Seoul in 9.79 seconds, only to have his gold medal and world record stripped after failing a post-race drug test.

Timing officials have since broken down that famed race into 10-meter increments, and Johnson was so preposterously fast that he went through 50 meters in 5.52 seconds and 60 meters in 6.37 -- both under the current world records at those distances. He went through 40 yards that day in 4.38 seconds.

He was running in spikes . . . on a warm afternoon perfectly suited for sprinting . . . with a slight tailwind . . . with years of training from arguably track's top coach, Charlie Francis . . . with Carl Lewis and six others of the fastest men on the planet chasing him . . . with 69,000 people roaring at Seoul's Olympic Stadium . . . with hundreds of millions of people watching on TV . . . with the ultimate prize in sports, an Olympic gold medal, at stake.

give props next time u steal from an article nagga! :angry:

www.rkellyisguilty.com

Duece

Get your shit together
BGOL Investor
I was a kicker. I my personal best was 46 yards that was with no wind, with wind I just missed a 51 yarder to the left but it had room to spare and I was pretty proficient at getting the ball inside the 10 on kick offs.

julian

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I played baseball in high school and college,played 1st base and right field. Max bench 310lb,fastest 40 time was 4.79,held high school record for most homers in season 27,2 years at 47 and 4 years at 91. Had longest measured home run at high school field in Columbus at 529 ft at the time and I never did any juice. Was drafted in amatuer draft by Expos but broke my right ankle senior year in college and that ended my chances. Funny story, I am 38 years old and I played in a charity softball game last summer which was the 1st time I played in almost 10 years and I hit the 1st homer ever at the softball field where we were playing and the company that sponsored the game had donated $10,000 to the American Cancer Society for any homer hit,so I never was paid legially for my baseball but my homer got someone else paid. It sucks when I think about what could have been except for the injury(I was rated #2 1st base prospect behind Frank Thomas in 1987,we played ball in same city as well)and I just wonder. I know a lot of brothers on BGOL who could have been and should have been college and some even Pro athletes and its a shame how shit happens to take away that dream.

Gazoo

The Big Brain
Registered
I played baseball in high school and college,played 1st base and right field. Max bench 310lb,fastest 40 time was 4.79,held high school record for most homers in season 27,2 years at 47 and 4 years at 91. Had longest measured home run at high school field in Columbus at 529 ft at the time and I never did any juice. Was drafted in amatuer draft by Expos but broke my right ankle senior year in college and that ended my chances. Funny story, I am 38 years old and I played in a charity softball game last summer which was the 1st time I played in almost 10 years and I hit the 1st homer ever at the softball field where we were playing and the company that sponsored the game had donated $10,000 to the American Cancer Society for any homer hit,so I never was paid legially for my baseball but my homer got someone else paid. It sucks when I think about what could have been except for the injury(I was rated #2 1st base prospect behind Frank Thomas in 1987,we played ball in same city as well)and I just wonder. I know a lot of brothers on BGOL who could have been and should have been college and some even Pro athletes and its a shame how shit happens to take away that dream.

damn cuz. that's a bad break. sorry to hear how the ankle messed you up. you my mayne are a living example of if you can go to the pros at two years old, then take your diapered ass to the millions.

I know a cat myself that was nba material. played college ball at nc state, went up for a layup against sam perkins and busted his knee.

floridaman

Potential Star
Registered

nigga i was sellin weed to da white kids
while yall was at practice
da next day i would be n class
wit cha girlfriend n
pull out mo money than teacher/principle
$800 $900 sumtimes mo depend on what was goin on
now those are stats

Osca Lee

REALNA'MUTHAFUCKA
Registered
- 4.54 seconds --------> 40
- 10.88 seconds ----> 100m
- I can't bench press for shit. I'm an embarassment :lol:

Funk, your 40 time and 100 meter time makes more sense than mf running a 4.2 and then cant even go sub 10.4 on the 100 meters. Primetime never boasts or bragg about his 100 meter times........cause he go his ass blew out mf fastest time was a 10.79 FAT. Hell even Rocket got his ass handed to him from start to finish whenever he ran the 100 meters..but anyway my respected hand timed 40 times are 4.31, 4.33, 4.30 and my FAT times 4.45, 4.44, 4.45 then bench reps of 225- 31 times, nigga dont max out anymore but when I did back in the day I was handling 480.

big diff

XXXplosive

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
LMBAO @ all these Al Bundy-ass niggas living in the past :lol:
Now all of y'all have big ol' beer guts and get tired going up a flight of stairs

AlBundy33.jpg

3rd__Optic

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Gotta question while we are on this subject. Any of you had your knee scoped? I had a big tear in my meniscus and am now recovering. I went to the Hughston Clinc in Columbus GA. My flexibility seem to be back almost fully. The strength is coming back. Any of you get that full explosivness back in your legs after rehabbing? How long did it take for you if so? My knee is feeling good, I'm just a little impatient I guess.

Here are my college performance stats.

Height: 6'2"
Weight: 218 - 225lbs

Bench Press
225 lbs @ 25 times

275 lbs @ 15 times

365 lbs @ 3 times (slow and controlled reps)

420+ lbs @ 1 time

Squat / Sprint / Leap
Squat - 685 lbs

40yd - 4.5 seconds

Vertical Leap 38"

Last edited:

Daddy Warbuck$

Star
Registered
I don't even want to post my stats of me in my prime:smh: That was 10 years ago. I played DB for only 1 season at my H.S. didn't play my senior year due to a Family tragedy. If I'm not mistaken I was benching 285 LBS and was hand clocked at 4.56

I weighed 165 LBS back then:D not bad for a skinny dude... I'm 205 LBS now, I don't do weights anymore but I do go running and biking now.

LordSinister

One Punch Mayne
Super Moderator
Max output at 16

Bench 400 could do reps with 300-335

Squat 885 10 times. I could have done more, but no more 45's would fit on the bar.

40 5.1

Then I got my knee fucked. Never tried to squat that much again, instead concentrated on swimming/running.

A couple of years ago I leg pressed 1000 10 times, then I had my nephew stand on it to add another 200 lbs.

Shit, At the age I'm at now, I just hit the precor machine for 30, 45 minutes with light weights (curl 80-135) (bench 185-250)(lats etc 120-200) and swim.

Jman23

Support BGOL
Registered
Wow its surprising that most of you guys are stronger than guys in the nfl. A lot of you guys are in the 400's with your bench...thats surprising

I'm 21 and was a corner back in highschool. Right now Im between 155-160 but when I bench I usually throw up 335 once every other workout to keep my max up which is prob close to 355-360 (well over twice my body weight). I can rep 225 for over 22 times and last time I maxed out was at 345 and thats when I weighed 150 so I'm probably a lot stronger now.

Last edited:

Osca Lee

REALNA'MUTHAFUCKA
Registered
Wow its surprising that most of you guys are stronger than guys in the nfl. A lot of you guys are in the 400's with your bench...thats surprising

I'm 21 and corner back in highschool. Right now Im between 155-160 but when I bench I usually throw up 335 once every other workout to keep my max up which is prob close to 355-360 (well over twice my body weight). I can rep 225 for over 22 times and last time I maxed out was at 345 and thats when I weighed 150 so I'm probably a lot stronger now.

21 AND IN HIGH SCHOOL, 155-160-335 BENCH........................:lol:

SWATLANTA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Let's see...
I never did the weight thing, my arms were too damn long (and it would hurt my joints), so I was always on the push-ups and sit-ups.

I'm 6'3.5" 195lbs
4.60 40yd ( I ran a hand timed 4.4 but I still don't believe it)
37 " vertical
I can (could) throw a football 67 yards (proven at GSU)
I did the long jump- 21 feet 3 inches in the 11th grade

Gazoo

The Big Brain
Registered
It's hard to measure whether you're good at sports without the athletic ability, but it is possible to be in basketball, baseball and probably the most athletic sport without being a thoroughbred athlete. Emmitt didn't necessarily look like a great athlete.

Except for when he was running the ball.

Some of you cats were freaks on a serious tip. Although my best bench was 340-360 and my best 40 was about 4.5, they unfortunately came about 15 years apart.

:lol:

LordSinister

One Punch Mayne
Super Moderator

Not really. When I was in high school, white boys were doing roids, and putting up numbers. When I was 15, I couldn't hit 150 on the bench, and there were lil white boys 5'7" hittin 300. So I worked out for 6 months, and hit 335 when I was 16. 400 before i turned 17. That was 8-9 months of nutrition, working out, and not much else. ( I think I fucked 1 girl during this time :smh::smh:)

I'm 21 and corner back in highschool. Right now Im between 155-160 but when I bench I usually throw up 335 once every other workout to keep my max up which is prob close to 355-360 (well over twice my body weight). I can rep 225 for over 22 times and last time I maxed out was at 345 and thats when I weighed 150 so I'm probably a lot stronger now.

:confused::confused::confused::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Stink Money

Potential Star
Registered
I was a basketball player and a runner in high school. My best times were 17:22 in the 5k and 1:59.5 in the 800m. I never really fucked with getting timed and shit when I played football my sophomore year, I just went out there and hit a few niggas and went to the crib. I kinda wish I would have played my last two years of high school since we eventually went to the state championship game.