Ernestine and Skip BaylessGetty Images
MORE FROM:
ANDREW MARCHAND
Mike Francesa is the culprit behind Chris Carlin's WFAN demise

How ESPN made fools of its doubters during 40-year run

Urban Meyer is becoming game-changer in his new TV gig

ESPN's plan to reignite Katie Nolan's show

NFL preview: ESPN facing season of scrutiny in booth and studio
Skip Bayless is being called “nuts,“ a “complete psycho” and diagnosed with something known as “jinx demons.”

The person making the allegations about Skip Bayless is … Skip Bayless.

What Bayless is describing is how he watches games in his and his wife’s 5,000-square-foot condo that has three rooms, seven TVs — including two 70-inchers in his bedroom — and is located just two minutes from Fox Sports 1’s Los Angeles studios.

Bayless — American sports media’s most successful professional troll, as his $6.5 million salary attests — has a life centered around watching games. His wife, Ernestine Sclafani Bayless, has a life centered around making their marriage work. That sometimes means getting out of the way.

“She can’t be in my force field when I’m watching these games,” Skip said.

When they met 14 years ago, Skip cherished the fact that Ernestine knew nothing about sports. It could be argued they were on equal footing. There was a spark from the start. Skip quickly made it clear what would come first.

“I told her I’m married to my job,” Skip said. “I always have been. I had this weird feeling this could go somewhere. I told her, ‘If it ever does, you’ll always be 1A to my job.’ She hates me telling that story, but it is the God’s truth. At least I divulged myself up front, which I think she grudgingly appreciated.”

They met on the set of “Cold Pizza,” which was ESPN’s first take at “First Take.” She was a PR executive and had brought in “Entourage” actor Kevin Dillon, who portrayed Johnny “Drama” on the show, to the program’s Manhattan studios.

Skip and Ernestine would go on to date for 11 years before tying the knot three years ago. It was her first and his second marriage. He calls her a “firecracker,” which is an apt description. She is persuasive, and you could easily tell she was successful in PR.

Skip Bayless works too hard to have hot-take regrets
It turns out last year during the AFC Championship game when Tom Brady was intercepted in the end zone by the Chiefs’ Reggie Ragland, it was caused by Ernestine ruining Skip’s zen.

“[Brady] did that because she stuck her head in to ask me about something that was completely irrelevant,” Skip said of Ernestine asking about a letter he had received.

“Her fuse can be shorter than mine and we had a battle all night long. We kissed and made up at the end of the night. I said, ‘I’m sorry, but it is just a jinx rule that you have to honor.’”

They usually honor Friday nights as date night, unless there is a particularly big game.

“It is all about compromise,” Ernestine said.

She has learned to make it work, which is the point of her book.

“She’s the greatest thing that’s ever happened to me,” Skip said. “I get emotional about it because she is so real, so true and so loyal. I don’t know anyone who could put up with me, but she has from Day 1. We are not just good together. We are great together.”

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This guy needs too much attention. I find something wrong with that.

this shit seems like something his team would conjure up,

talkin bout he married to his job, and his wife would have to be on some 1a shit..

is his contract up soon or he askin for more money or some shit??

pookie

Thinking of a Master Plan
BGOL Investor
They were roasting her looks on social media yesterday so he invited her on the show today. I was wondering why he was on some “you are my world, I love you very much” talk the whole time and then I saw comments from yesterday. One commenter said she looked like Bill Nye the Science Guy

Chick does look like her name should be Earnestine too:frozen:

jasonblacc

Rising Star
Registered
I gotta give this cac credit. He’s rich and successful and chose to marry someone his age and not someone who can be said to be there just for money.

Deezz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
They were roasting her looks on social media yesterday so he invited her on the show today. I was wondering why he was on some “you are my world, I love you very much” talk the whole time and then I saw comments from yesterday. One commenter said she looked like Bill Nye the Science Guy

Chick does look like her name should be Earnestine too:frozen:

She has on a ton of make-up.

RAY V.

AP 2nd Team All-American
BGOL Investor
Skip's wife look like one of them ladies from one of them CSI series