Well DAMN! Black Star Power: Michael Jordan donates $2M to help community-police relations

ankhheru

Registered
thinks for raining all over my little parade, couldn't let it go even 3 pages huh Ankh?
No rain and nothing personal against you or your posts. Just a critical observation of the mans statement.
Dont have to... I read it and I also know when people have an 'agenda' they can pull whatever fits their narrative out of anything...
Your also aware that a statement can be written in such a way to further the authors agenda as well. His wording no matter how heartfelt is done in such a way as to not offend his Republican shoe buyers and give the impression that he actually is on African Americans side. But weighing what he said you can see that his wording is actually one sided. Angered at cop killers but troubled by cops killing African Americans. One holds more weight than the other. Anger trumps feeling troubled. He made a point to say he was an American first and foremost. He settled for black but called us African Americans. Distancing himself from the term Africa but using it in such a way that African Americans would identify with it and him.

As I stated wording matters. In court, in business, in media and in day to day life.

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Rising Star
Registered
No rain and nothing personal against you or your posts. Just a critical observation of the mans statement.

Your also aware that a statement can be written in such a way to further the authors agenda as well. His wording no matter how heartfelt is done in such a way as to not offend his Republican shoe buyers and give the impression that he actually is on African Americans side. But weighing what he said you can see that his wording is actually one sided. Angered at cop killers but troubled by cops killing African Americans. One holds more weight than the other. Anger trumps feeling troubled. He made a point to say he was an American first and foremost. He settled for black but called us African Americans. Distancing himself from the term Africa but using it in such a way that African Americans would identify with it and him.

As I stated wording matters. In court, in business, in media and in day to day life.
...and the twisting of and manipulating of words to support a specidic agenda matters as well...

kidmegaii

Medium well
BGOL Investor
do not

I repeat...DO NOT

allow the cac media to hate on this or sh*t on this or nothing

applaud it

celebrate it

so it is encouraged throughout our community

because if we do?

We can FINALLY shine the PROPER spotlight

on white folks who eat off our culture and say NOTHING

and corporations who say NOTHING

and white brown and OTHERS who want US to align with THEM but never ride for US.

We keep asking our BEST in sports, entertainment and business to get involved...

so when they DO we NEED to celebrate it regardless

on some ole FOX news sh*t.

watch REAL careful to see who SH*TS on this ESPECIALLY in a white media forum...

it was a long time coming and it aint over but salute MJ.
correct

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Rising Star
Registered
A prime example is how laws can be written with the phrase people of color. Blacks see it as black. When in fact it encompasses every person of color. Not just blacks.
So what are your views on the 100s of other famous black celebrities who have not come forward with a statement or donation? What does their silence and observed lack of response mean? What conclusions have you made about them?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

I know fam...but there is no way I can argue against anything you wrote.

I'm just saying sometimes we just need a win of any kind and we smart enough to use it as we need to.

Cause we got so much stacked against us already...I aint trying to put no holes in a WIN right now.

Cause most definitely the OTHER SIDE never does. They ride together thru whatever till the wheels come off.

for ONCE on something as important as this can we just team up? I know it aint ideal or perfect and there is so much MORE that goes along with it but just to show the WORLD what the power we weald IS...

can we just all unify for this ONE?

can we just try it on?

Just too SEE what it looks and FEELS like?

Cause these melanin deficient mofos wake up every day feeling like everything gonna be alright cause in the end they white and all this was built for THEM.

Can we just for once say OK we together no intellectual analysis critical stuff none of that.

Just OK, this good congrats whose next up?

Like THEY do all the time?

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If Jordan released a limited edition sneaker where proceeds would go to the Black families effected by police violence...

this dude would COMPLETELY change the narrative of his legacy as a Black man in our community as a whole.

Naw his shit is cemented. People don't remember the good you do they remember the bad. Especially in his case.

ankhheru

Registered
I know fam...but there is no way I can argue against anything you wrote.

I'm just saying sometimes we just need a win of any kind and we smart enough to use it as we need to.

Cause we got so much stacked against us already...I aint trying to put no holes in a WIN right now.

Cause most definitely the OTHER SIDE never does. They ride together thru whatever till the wheels come off.

for ONCE on something as important as this can we just team up? I know it aint ideal or perfect and there is so much MORE that goes along with it but just to show the WORLD what the power we weald IS...

can we just all unify for this ONE?

can we just try it on?

Just too SEE what it looks and FEELS like?

Cause these melanin deficient mofos wake up every day feeling like everything gonna be alright cause in the end they white and all this was built for THEM.

Can we just for once say OK we together no intellectual analysis critical stuff none of that.

Just OK, this good congrats whose next up?

Like THEY do all the time?
Bruh I respect and understand whole heartedly what you're saying. My intent was to state an obvious. It's great he finally said something. His biggest knock was his lack of words when it counted. Maybe he could have been more direct in his support in his statement. Maybe he could have continued to say nothing.

I know all too well how words can foster certain ideas and feelings. We used to call it getting pencil whooped when I was in the service. You get an award recommendation or promotion recommendation or even an evolution recommendation and you walk away feeling one way only to find out that to the people that it actually mattered it meant something totally different.

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Rising Star
Registered
I get it. Your his number one fan. He can't do anything with a motive in your eyes. Cool. It is what it is....pun intended.
I see you trying to deflect to immaturity.... Im not biting on this one though Bruh. I asked you a straight up question but if this childish deflection is all you've got cool. Thats all you homeboy...It really speaks volumes though if thats the case and solidifies my point about your agenda....

Also, everyone has motive to what they do so whats your point?

Also, i asked you a direct question a few posts ago... Not sure if you saw it and are avoiding it or what. Would you like me to repeat it or do you plan on addressing it?

ankhheru

Registered
I see you trying to deflect to immaturity.... Im not biting on this one though Bruh. I asked you a straight up question but if this is childish deflection all you've got cool. Thats all you homeboy...It really speaks volumes though if thats the case and solidifies my point about your agenda....

Also, i asked you a direct question a few posts ago... Not sure if you saw it and are avoiding it or what. Would you like me to repeat it or do you plan on addressing it?

I'm actually trying to be as diplomatic as I can with you. You just keep digging. Hence my replies. Instead of repeating your question just move along. Ain't no win here on either side and honestly my fight ain't with you.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Bruh I respect and understand whole heartedly what you're saying. My intent was to state an obvious. It's great he finally said something. His biggest knock was his lack of words when it counted. Maybe he could have been more direct in his support in his statement. Maybe he could have continued to say nothing.

I know all too well how words can foster certain ideas and feelings. We used to call it getting pencil whooped when I was in the service. You get an award recommendation or promotion recommendation or even an evolution recommendation and you walk away feeling one way only to find out that to the people that it actually mattered it meant something totally different.

good lawd...brother ankh

why you spiting all this reason forethought insight and wisdom up in here?

Air Jordan remembered he was Black today fam!!! (sorta kinda)

Can I just get a moment!?!?!?

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Rising Star
Registered
I'm actually trying to be as diplomatic as I can with you. You just keep digging. Hence my replies. Instead of repeating your question just move along. Ain't no win here on either side and honestly my fight ain't with you.
Not trying to win anything.... Not sure why you are getting flustered Bruh....

Moving on... Will you be addressing my follow up question Sir? ....and if not, why not?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

giphy.gif

futureshock

Renegade of this atomic age
Registered
If Jordan released a limited edition sneaker where proceeds would go to the Black families effected by police violence...

this dude would COMPLETELY change the narrative of his legacy as a Black man in our community as a whole.

Sadly, I kinda feell like he should do something like that without publicizing it. Because I would not want limited sales or cacs to quietly boycott the shoes so that the maximum financial potential is not reached.

I would applaud him for saying that proceeds from all of his shoes are being or have been donated. But not to single out one shoe in particular....to give the enemy something to track or monitor.

IMHO

Cacs use our money against us all of the time...and dont tell us chit.

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Rising Star
Registered
Sadly, I kinda feell like he should do something like that without publicizing it. Because I would not want limited sales or cacs to quietly boycott the shoes so that the maximum financial potential is not reached.

I would applaud him for saying that proceeds from all of his shoes are being or have been donated. But not to single out one shoe in particular....to give the enemy something to track or monitor.

IMHO

Why should he be the only star to do that though. Not saying I disageee with it but why only him? LeBron, KD, Curry, all of them have signature shoes. So, shouldnt all of them be called to task this way?

CACs are making money off of all of them no?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

IMHO

Why should he be the only star to do that though. Not saying I disageee with it but why only him? LeBron, KD, Curry, all of them have signature shoes. So, shouldnt all of them be called to task this way?

your BOTH right...

he could do it privately but the PUBLIC statement with the history of Jordans in the Black community I Think it would be a powerful picture.

And it would be a strong message involving Nike.

But see this is what I mean

If WHITE folk do it?

there isn't all this plate juggling...

but WE do it?

Now its Nike is a white community, Nike has slave labor, what about other Nike athletes, etc etc,...

You wouldn't hear NONE of this if it was about the Orlando shooting, LGBT issues, Texas policeman being shot etc.

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
But as happy as I am about THIS. ..

and I am VERY happy

the naysayers are making ONE valid point.

this is not the END...

just the beginning.

I think as black people we've been betrayed so often that we are wary of any good "gift" from an unexpected source, but being realistic doesn't negate the "win". Celebrate, but recognize he is still trying to walk a fine line. Also take heart by realizing that if this this is happening on the SURFACE, the pressure and current underneath must be very forceful. Ripples, waves, tidal waves, tsunamis. (Yeah I know they aren't caused by the same things, but for the purpose of showing intensity, the example stands. Stop being so scientific :p) I've been saying for a while the narrative is changing. We are coming up on a tipping point. I'm not sure what to expect from Jordan going forward. This may be the extent of his involvement, or as he gets more comfortable he may speak out more boldly. But, like Jesse, his actions will help free the minds of others who are scared to speak up or take action, and enable them to be more vocal and active. Anyway you look at it, this is a good thing.

futureshock

Registered

In a way, they should have been doing that already. With all of that money and influence.

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
your BOTH right...

he could do it privately but the PUBLIC statement with the history of Jordans in the Black community I Think it would be a powerful picture.

If WHITE folk do it?

but WE do it?

Now its Nike is a white community, Nike has slave labor, what about other Nike athletes, etc etc,...

You wouldn't hear NONE of this if it was about the Orlando shooting, LGBT issues, Texas policeman being shot etc.

He's not going to win either way. If he does it quietly, people will use that as proof he is not doing anything. Publicly he risks attack and loss of revenue.

futureshock

Registered
your BOTH right...

If WHITE folk do it?

but WE do it?

On the flip side when Mello said endorsements be damned, I would have loved for them to pressure any of the major shoe companies to step up and help out financially or contribute to improving some of these situations. Or for us to boycott or not support them if they balked or jumped on that fux news bandwagon.