WandaVision | Official Thread | Marvel / Disney+

WattDogs

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Hint #1: Everybody's going by the comic books but the MCU has been adamant in idealizing the comic saga but not the actual stories. In this case, everyone is throwing reality warping powers on Wanda, when she never had them in the MCU. She only had the powers that the mind stone manifests: telepathy, telekinesis, etc. Hint #1 is simple. Wanda's got the Reality Stone or somehow has gained its energies.

Hint #2: There are more stones on Earth. As I stated, Wanda somehow has the Reality Stone. Vision has the Mind Stone, but everyone knows Vision is dead in the real world. So what would make an extraterrestrial agency pop up & secure the premises as opposed to the military (as stated in the Slovakian Accords)? More stones. My guess, either SWORD's been experimenting with the Space Stone & gave some of it's agents powers (like Captain Marvel/Spectrum/Photon) or the stones are calling to one another & coming to Earth. Why I say the space stone? Cause you have homegirl from Thor that's the expert on spacebridges...

D'Evils

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Hint #1: Everybody's going by the comic books but the MCU has been adamant in idealizing the comic saga but not the actual stories. In this case, everyone is throwing reality warping powers on Wanda, when she never had them in the MCU. She only had the powers that the mind stone manifests: telepathy, telekinesis, etc. Hint #1 is simple. Wanda's got the Reality Stone or somehow has gained its energies.

Hint #2: There are more stones on Earth. As I stated, Wanda somehow has the Reality Stone. Vision has the Mind Stone, but everyone knows Vision is dead in the real world. So what would make an extraterrestrial agency pop up & secure the premises as opposed to the military (as stated in the Slovakian Accords)? More stones. My guess, either SWORD's been experimenting with the Space Stone & gave some of it's agents powers (like Captain Marvel/Spectrum/Photon) or the stones are calling to one another & coming to Earth. Why I say the space stone? Cause you have homegirl from Thor that's the expert on spacebridges...

Kevin Feige said the stones were "destroyed" but the energies still exist just not in stone form...
(Basically the Infinity Stones storyline is over for a while)....

Vision's mind (Which was originally Jarvis) was downloaded in Wakanda and they could also make new body from the Vibranium... then in WandaVision they could just introduce Vision's Solar Gem.... (His comic power source)...
As you stated SWORD could discover it or already have it in their possession...

Also Rambeau could be exposed to extra-dimensional energy from traveling through Wanda's Multiverses giving her Spectrum's Powers....

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Honey, I'm Chrome: Marvel prepares to take over TV with WandaVision

The upcoming Disney+ series is a wonderfully weird send-up of sitcoms of the past — and Marvel's key to the future. Don't touch that dial.
By Devan Coggan

Last year, the notoriously secretive Marvel Studios did something unprecedented: It opened its set to visitors. WandaVision, the six-hour series about Elizabeth Olsen’s reality-altering witch and Paul Bettany’s charming android, takes inspiration from beloved TV comedies, from campy 1950s classics to the zany family shows of the ’90s. So for its premiere episode, Marvel’s first Disney+ TV show went full midcentury sitcom, filming in classic black and white in front of a live studio audience (all of whom signed very, very strict NDAs).

Crew members came to set in ’50s-era clothing, and used period lenses and lighting to capture that dreamy vintage glow. The special-effects team employed wires and camera tricks straight from Bewitched or I Dream of Jeannie, making wine bottles appear to pour on their own and household appliances zoom about like magic. And when Vision’s familiar maroon skin didn’t look quite right in grayscale, the makeup artists painted Bettany blue instead.

Bettany and Olsen rehearsed their entrances and exits as if putting on a play, and at first, they say the notion of live performance terrified them more than any Marvel supervillain. But by the time they secured their first audience chuckle, the pair realized they might have missed their calling as sitcom stars. “It was insanity,” Olsen, 31, says with a laugh. “There was something very meta for my own life because I would visit those tapings as a kid, where my sisters were working [on Full House].”

“We were all so high by the end of it, we wanted to keep on running the show,” Bettany, 49, adds. “Maybe take it out on tour or something. WandaVision on ice.”

WandaVision was never intended to kick off this new era of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. After 2019’s Avengers: Endgame closed out the Infinity Saga (and served as a dramatic retirement party for several of the franchise’s heroes), 2020 was supposed to launch what Marvel calls Phase 4: Black Widow and Eternals were both slated to hit theaters, and a series about The Falcon and the Winter Soldier would debut on Disney+ in the fall, the first of many Marvel TV shows planned for the streaming service. But after the ongoing coronavirus pandemic shut down theaters and shuttered production around the world, it was the strange, sweet WandaVision that was closest to completion, and it will now be the first to bow, premiering on Disney+ this winter. [Due to the mercurial nature of scheduling in the pandemic, an exact premiere date was unavailable at press time.]

It was an unexpected shift, especially for a franchise that famously maps out its schedule years in advance, but ultimately, what could be a more fitting launch for this new stage of Marvel TV than a series that’s about, well, TV?

“The show is a love letter to the golden age of television,” explains WandaVision head writer Jac Schaeffer. “We’re paying tribute and honoring all of these incredible shows and people who came before us, [but] we’re also trying to blaze new territory.”
Credit: Marvel Studios

Parent company Disney first came to Marvel about two years ago and tasked its creative team with developing new projects for its soon-to-debut streamer Disney+. Marvel had found TV success before, both with Netflix’s Daredevil, Luke Cage, and Jessica Jones, which were produced separately, and with the ABC shows Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Agent Carter, which followed characters directly from the big-screen Marvel movies. But these Disney+ shows would be something new: miniseries produced entirely by Marvel Studios, with full creative control and character-driven stories that would more explicitly tie in to their big-screen counterparts. Explains Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige: “It really energized everyone creatively at the studio, the notion that we could play in a new medium and throw the rules out the window in terms of structure and format.”

It was Feige who came up with the idea to take Wanda Maximoff and Vision — two fan favorites from the Avengers movies — and set them in a strange fantasy world of suburban bliss. The exec is a self-professed sitcom nerd who grew up on Nick at Nite and has made a habit of watching MeTV reruns before starting his workday.

“I would get ready for the day and watch some old sitcom because I couldn’t take the news anymore,” he admits. “Getting ready to go to set over the last few years, I kept thinking of how influential these programs were on our society and on myself, and how certainly I was using it as an escape from reality where things could be tied up in a nice bow in 30 minutes.”

Feige tapped Schaeffer (who worked on Black Widow and Captain Marvel) to serve as head writer, Mary Livanos as coexecutive producer, and Matt Shakman as director. (Shakman’s involvement added a meta layer: In addition to directing shows like Game of Thrones and Fargo, he was a child actor on the Growing Pains spin-off Just the Ten of Us.) Together, they sought to nail down WandaVision’s irreverent tone. Just as Vision himself is an odd amalgamation of both the homicidal robot Ultron and Tony Stark’s wisecracking computer J.A.R.V.I.S., so too is WandaVision a mash-up, marrying epic superhero action with small-town sitcom silliness.

“It really does feel like we’re all programmed to know and love and understand these suburban family sitcoms,” Livanos says. “So, to mess with expectations has been really fun.”

Credit: © Marvel Studios

For Olsen, who joined the MCU with 2015’s Avengers: Age of Ultron, WandaVision promised a chance to explore Wanda’s past and the full capabilities of her telekinetic powers. (In initial conversations about the show, Feige won her over by referencing specific Scarlet Witch comic story lines — although she won’t reveal which ones, due to spoilers.) “It’s been the biggest gift that Marvel’s given me, getting to do this show,” the actress says. “You get to just focus on her and not how she felt through everyone else’s story lines.”

Over the past five years, Olsen has traced Wanda’s journey from Sokovia to suburbia, evolving from a traumatized antagonist who lost her entire family to violence, to a formidable hero who could make even Thanos quake in his oversize purple boots.

“I already felt like I had ownership of her because Marvel always encourages you to be part of the process,” Olsen says. “But even more so now, I feel I have a really strong sense of ownership. If anyone wanted to ask me a question about the future or just a question about what she would think, I feel like this time has provided that.”

WandaVision came as an even bigger surprise for Bettany, especially since — spoiler alert — Vision croaked not once but twice in Avengers: Infinity War. After Thanos plucked the life-giving Mind Stone out of Vision’s forehead, Bettany assumed his time in the MCU was over, especially since it had lasted much longer than he anticipated: He was first cast as the disembodied voice of J.A.R.V.I.S. in 2008’s Iron Man, before joining the Avengers full-time as Vision in Ultron.

“I thought I was being brought in to be let go,” Bettany admits. “I thought Kevin was doing the decent thing and bringing me in, and he and [executive producer] Louis [D’Esposito] were going to tell me, ‘It’s been a great ride, and it’s over.’ So it was a really pleasant surprise for me and my bank manager, too, obviously.”

Olsen and Bettany have formed a close friendship since Ultron, and the pair joke they’ve only had one argument in the years they’ve known each other, an event they’ve dubbed “Snotgate”: While filming a particularly emotional kiss in the cold weather for WandaVision — before the pandemic, they hastily add — someone’s nose started running, and neither can agree as to the culprit.

“She’ll tell you a crock of s--- about whose snot it was,” Bettany says with indignation. “I know the truth, and people shouldn’t be fooled by her story.”

“When he has that makeup on, he can’t really feel his leaking fluids anyway, like I can,” Olsen retorts. “I was like, ‘You can’t even tell you’re snotting! I can! You can’t feel your face ’cause it’s covered in paint!’”

Set after Endgame, the series starts with the married witch and android living in the idyllic town of Westview. “We find Wanda and Vision living a blissful suburban existence, trying to keep their powers under wraps,” Schaeffer teases. (A show about escaping into the soothing world of television seems particularly, uh, timely in 2020.) But as the newlyweds cycle through the decades — and the familiar TV tropes — they realize their white-picket-fence life may not be as gleamingly picture-perfect as it seems.

Even with all the sitcom shenanigans, the series remains grounded in Wanda and Vision’s tender romance. “They’ve had a long and gentle love affair, right?” Bettany says. “It’s a pretty quirky relationship. She’s a witch, he’s a robot. Or artificial person, or synthezoid, or whatever your preferred name tag.”
“It’s always so appealing when outsiders find each other,” Schaeffer adds. “They’re both different with capital Ds. Wanda has so much pain, and Vision has so much curiosity.”

Westview also introduces a few new faces: Kathryn Hahn stars as Agnes, the prototypical “nosy neighbor,” who gleefully inserts herself into Wanda and Vision’s lives. “I’ve always loved that gasp of human magic that they have,” Hahn says of the Marvel Universe. “It’s not like I had never done anything like this, but especially since becoming a mom, I have always been interested in those jolts of adrenaline and humanity.”
Credit: Chuck Zlotnick/© Marvel Studios

Also new to the cast is Teyonah Parris, who plays the grown-up version of Monica Rambeau. The Louisiana-born Monica debuted as a young girl in Captain Marvel, and the show’s creators are tight-lipped about how adult Monica fits into the weird world of Westview. The character has a long comics history: She was the first female African-American Avenger, and Livanos points out that she frequently fought side by side with Wanda and Vision. Over the years, she’s gone by many heroic names, including Photon, Pulsar, Spectrum, and Captain Marvel (the first woman to use the moniker, predating Carol Danvers).

“I feel so special and honored to be able to walk in her shoes and bring her story to life,” Parris says. “I hope that me playing this character (a) gives a group of people who are underrepresented a chance to see themselves, and (b) seeing my face and my Black body helps them engage with Black women and our humanity.”

To prep the show’s decade-hopping tone, Shakman and Schaeffer enrolled in sitcom school, immersing themselves in the trappings and styles of all things classic comedy. When possible, they even went straight to the source: Last summer, during Disney’s D23 Expo, Shakman and Feige invited Dick Van Dyke to lunch at Disneyland, peppering him with questions about his five-season run as Rob Petrie.

“[The Dick Van Dyke Show] can be very broad with silly physical-comedy gags, and yet it never feels false, and I wondered how they did that,” Shakman explains. “His answer was really simple: He basically said that if it couldn’t happen in real life, it couldn’t happen on the show.”
WandaVision also filmed partly on the famed Blondie Street at the Warner Bros. Ranch in Burbank, home to classic sitcom houses from Father Knows Best, The Partridge Family, and Bewitched. It was also where Shakman shot parts of Just the Ten of Us.

“I was kind of surrounded by these ghosts of television past — including my own ghosts,” the director says. “I had been there as a kid, and [it] was deeply moving to me that here we were doing something many, many years later. You can’t find a real street that feels like Blondie Street. You need it to have that weird sense of fakeness.”

When EW spoke to the WandaVision team in October, the cast and crew were rushing to finish the series’ six hours, returning to set with new social-distance measures after the pandemic halted production earlier in 2020. Over the past decade-plus, Marvel has seemingly perfected the superhero blockbuster; now it aims to do the same with the superhero TV show.

“It’s really incredible to be able to tell a long-form story the way the comics did,” Livanos says. “In a sense, [a TV show] is a multi-issue comic-book run, which is something that, from the Marvel development side, we totally do understand.”

“I was like, ‘Oh, I thought we were doing a little show,’ but no, it’s six Marvel movies packed into what they’re presenting as a sitcom,” Parris adds.

Ideally, Marvel hopes WandaVision will be just the pilot episode of a long-running TV dynasty; the studio is already hard at work developing seven additional shows, with each one connecting to past and future films. WandaVision, Feige notes, will directly set up the 2022 film Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, with Olsen’s witch playing a key role alongside Benedict Cumberbatch’s sorcerer. With the pandemic shuffling release dates, Marvel is also taking extra care to ensure the new schedule won’t spoil story continuity.

But for now, the Marvel Studios president just hopes fans will connect with WandaVision’s trippy delusion of suburban comedy — much in the way that Disney+’s The Mandalorian rewarded die-hard Star Wars enthusiasts while also attracting new ones.

“If you haven’t seen any of them and just want to step into this weird thing because you love The Dick Van Dyke Show, it’s going to work,” Feige says. “But if you’ve been tracking the 23 movies we’ve made and following along the stories into Phase 4, there’ll be a wealth of rewards waiting for you as it all unfolds.”

And hey, if it doesn’t work out, Marvel can always take its new skills and pivot to full-time sitcom production.

“I thought, God, I’ve ruined my whole life,” Bettany says with a laugh. “I should have been doing sitcoms all this time.”

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Teyonah Parris introduces the grown-up Monica Rambeau in WandaVision

By Devan Coggan
November 11, 2020 at 11:30 AM EST

ADVERTISEMENT
SaveFBTweetMore
CREDIT: © MARVEL STUDIOS
WandaVision
TYPE
  • TV Show
NETWORK
  • Disney+
GENRE
WandaVision may center on Elizabeth Olsen’s Scarlet Witch and Paul Bettany’s Vision, but when the series drops on Disney+ this winter, it’ll also introduce a new hero: Monica Rambeau, played by Teyonah Parris. Monica may not be a household name the way some of her Marvel peers are, but she already has a history in the Marvel Cinematic Universe — and an even longer one in the comics.
MCU fans first met Monica as a young child in 2019’s Captain Marvel, as the daughter of Carol Danvers’ best friend and Air Force ally Maria Rambeau (played by Lashana Lynch). The young Monica (Akira Akbar) is fast friends with her aunt Carol (Brie Larson), but here, Lieutenant Trouble is all grown up. And she plays a key role in the strange, sitcom-inspired world of WandaVision.
PAID CONTENT

30 and Thriving at JCPenney
Influencer Kyra Knox shares how she reached her #HairGoals in time for her 30th birthday at The Salon by InStyle Inside JCPenney.
From JCPenney
"[She has] a toughness and an ability to be a woman in a man's space," teases head writer Jac Schaeffer. "Teyonah really brought that."
First created by Roger Stern and John Romita Jr. in the 1980s, Monica was introduced in the comics as a New Orleans native who gained superpowers after exposure to an intense energy blast. She soon signed up with the Avengers, becoming the first African-American woman to join and eventually taking over as the team’s leader. Over the years, she’s gone by various names, including Captain Marvel, Photon, Pulsar, and Spectrum. (She was actually the first woman to take on the Captain Marvel mantle, preceding Carol Danvers by decades.) And she’s extraordinarily powerful in the comics, with the ability to fly, travel at the speed of light, and even transform herself into pure energy.
“I feel so special and honored to be able to walk in her shoes and bring her story to life,” says the 33-year-old Parris. “I hope that me playing this character (a) gives a group of people who are underrepresented a chance to see themselves, and (b) seeing my face and my Black body helps them engage with Black women and our humanity.”

Marvel Studios had always intended to reintroduce an adult version of Monica after her debut in the ‘90s-set Captain Marvel, but they’re tight-lipped about exactly how she fits into the reality-bending WandaVision. (The first trailer shows her zooming through the air, before crashing through some kind of energy barrier and landing on the ground, surrounded by what look like military agents.) “One of the fun mysteries is how the heck would she become involved in this odd sitcom that Wanda and Vision find themselves in,” teases coexecutive producer Mary Livanos. “That’s a mystery the show unravels along the way.”

And as Livanos points out, pairing her with Wanda and Vision makes sense: In the comics, Wanda, Vision, and Monica fought side-by-side as members of the Avengers.
“Looking back to Monica Rambeau’s comic book history, she’s a leader among heroes,” Livanos adds. “She’s the type of hero that can always talk with other heroes. She’s a huge asset.”
When Parris first auditioned for the role, all she knew was that it was for some sort of Marvel project. “When I found out I actually got it, I tried to jump off a set of stairs because in my body, I was like, ‘I can fly! I can freaking fly!’” she says with a laugh. “My family had to calm me down.”
Best known for her roles in Mad Men, Dear White People, and Chi-Raq, Parris says she had to adjust to the size and scale of working on the MCU’s first Disney+ series — like with that scene in the trailer, where she whizzes through the air.
“What I’m finding challenging is doing things that I’m uncomfortable with and I’ve never had experience with [while] still trying to tell the story at hand,” she explains. “[I have] to look like I know what I’m doing, even though I’m 20 feet hanging in the air, and I’m sweating, and my hair is doing this and that, and I smudged my eyebrow off, and I still have to connect with the actor who’s on the ground waiting on me.”
But ultimately, she says she's excited to introduce audiences to this new version of a decades-old character — and finally give Monica her time in the spotlight.
“I do feel empowered and that I have a voice in this character and who she is and what we’re creating,” Parris says. “I do think that they trust some of my own instincts and they’re valuing what I’m bringing to the character. I’m really appreciative of that.”

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
9 episodes.

Which means the season finale will not broadcast until March 12th.

I wait until then watch it, I can’t deal with week by week shit. Especially if the episodes are only 30 to 40 minutes long.

"THE MAN"

Resident Cool Nerd
BGOL Investor
Saves us from people posting spoilers after binging immediately. Binging needs to die.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
9 episodes.

Which means the season finale will not broadcast until March 12th.

I wait until then watch it, I can’t deal with week by week shit. Especially if the episodes are only 30 to 40 minutes long.
Saves us from people posting spoilers after binging immediately. Binging needs to die.

Crazy that I actually agree with BOTH of you.

"THE MAN"

Resident Cool Nerd
BGOL Investor
Crazy that I actually agree with BOTH of you.
It's become more of a problem because people have this need to post first. Even big websites and they post spoilers day one. "Season 2 ending explained now that a main character is dead". Cobra Kai has been out since the 1st and I'm dodging spoilers from videogame websites since then. It's ridiculous. I have nothing against anyone who likes it at once, just the folks who have to spoil.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
It's become more of a problem because people have this need to post first. Even big websites and they post spoilers day one. "Season 2 ending explained now that a main character is dead". Cobra Kai has been out since the 1st and I'm dodging spoilers from videogame websites since then. It's ridiculous. I have nothing against anyone who likes it at once, just the folks who have to spoil.

Its complicated..

the MORE these apps CHARGE and now even if you paying for CABLE?

you do NOT have automatic full free access to the corresponding app

You can't keep charging that money and placing RESTRICTIONS on folk without backlash

ESPECIALLY during the pandemic.

this is actually a COMPLICATED discussion

cause you got so much that goes into it

economics, schedule, creative control, the internet, the media, social media, etc etc

I think The Boys may have done the every week model most recently and successfully

I can completely see the creators and the streaming company liking the week to week

I do NOT think the buzz for the Mandalorian would have been the SAME if they dropped the whole thing at once.

It would HI the same

its appointment viewing now

and one of the FEW FAMILY appointment viewing shows.

Also it keeps spoilers in check AND yo get a WEEK LONG buzz on social media dissecting each and every episode.

BUT....

I also think some shows BENEFIT form a binge

some shows it isn't really WRITTEN episode by episode but story arc by arc or the ENTIRE SEASON.

and also if you PAYING 17 a month?

I can COMPLETELY understand you paid for the right to watch that show however the hell you want

And while most are in quarantine the SITUATIONS are not equal

some folk veg out and WATCH THE WHOLE THING

many are working from home and are watching LESS TV now than ever before.

So like I said I see both sides.

I LEAN toward dropping the whole season at once.

But at the same time I would NOT want that with the Boys or the Mandalorian, etc.