༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
UN Ambassador Nikki Haley resigns
By Jamie Gangel and Elise Labott, CNN

Updated 10:34 AM ET, Tue October 9, 2018

181009094840-nikki-haley-01-02-2018-exlarge-169.jpg

(CNN)BREAKING:

--------
US Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley resigned Tuesday directly to President Donald Trump, according to multiple sources familiar with her decision.
A senior State Department official said Haley told her staff this morning.

Teasing an announcement in the Oval Office this morning, Trump called Haley "my friend."
"Big announcement with my friend Ambassador Nikki Haley in the Oval Office at 10:30am," he tweeted.
Axios was first to report the news that Haley resigned.
The former South Carolina governor was tapped as ambassador to the UN following Trump's election win despite supporting Florida Sen. Marco Rubio in her state's all-important 2016 presidential primary and later backing Texas Sen. Ted Cruz.
When asked if she would take the job by then-chief of staff Reince Priebus, Haley was intrigued but had some conditions.
First, she told Trump she wanted to be a member of the Cabinet and the National Security Council, privileges enjoyed by her predecessors in the Obama administration. Perhaps most importantly, she wanted the latitude to be herself, to say what she wanted.
"I said 'I am a policy girl, I want to be part of the decision-making process,'" she told CNN in a 2017 interview, recalling the conversation with Trump. "He said, 'done.' And I said, 'I don't want to be a wallflower or a talking head. I want to be able to speak my mind.' He said, 'That is why I asked you to do this.' In all honesty, I didn't think they were going to take me up on everything I asked for. And they gave me all that. So how do you turn that down?"
During her more than a year-and-a-half on the job, she has repeatedly spoken her mind, whether it's going further on human rights than many of her administration colleagues or denouncing racism at home.
This story is breaking and will be updated.
CNN's Michelle Kosinski and Zachary Cohen contributed reporting.

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Is this some “woman scheme” in the aftermath of Kavanaugh to boost republican efforts in the Midterm elections???

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
If she is not leaving until the end of the year, why make the announcement NOW ???

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
Nikki Haley's resignation comes one day after an ethics watchdog requested an investigation into her acceptance of free flights on private jets
Allan Smith

42m
5bbcbe7894750c1f237f9dca-750-375.jpg

Nikki Haley.
Stephanie Keith/Getty Images

United Nations Ambassador Nikki Haley's abrupt resignation on Tuesday came one day after an ethics watchdog group requested the State Department's inspector general investigate her acceptance of seven free flights aboard private jets from a trio of South Carolina businessmen.

Haley, the former governor of South Carolina, listed the flights on her 2017 financial disclosure and asserted that each qualified for an exception based on her relationships with the businessmen.

But the group, Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, said in its complaint that Haley's financial disclosure did not provide enough information to make the assertion that the flights between New York, Washington, DC, and three South Carolina cities qualified for the exemption.

Those flights were most likely worth tens of thousands of dollars, CREW suggested.

"Whether the exception applies depends partly on whether the three businessmen were the only sources of the gifts; if business entities were sources of the gifts, the exception was inapplicable," CREW said. "Federal ethics regulations prohibit employees from soliciting or accepting gifts given because of the employee's official position."

The three businessmen who provided the flights to Haley and her husband were Jimmy Gibbs, Smyth McKissick, and Mikee Johnson. Gibbs is the CEO of Gibbs International, and McKissick and Johnson are CEOs of private companies in South Carolina.

"By accepting gifts of luxury private flights, Ambassador Haley seems to be falling in line with other Trump administration officials who are reaping personal benefits from their public positions," CREW's executive director, Noah Bookbinder, said in a Monday statement.

Tom Price resigned as the secretary of health and human services last year amid a controversy involving his air travel. Other top Trump administration officials, including Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and former Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Scott Pruitt, have come under fire for their air-travel practices.

Walter Shaub, the former director of the Office of Government Ethics, noted on Twitter on Tuesday that Haley's resignation came after CREW filed its complaint.

Haley's resignation caught Washington, DC, and the diplomatic community by surprise. She announced her departure less than a month after the United Nations General Assembly in New York.

Haley was one of the foreign-policy and Washington establishments' favorite Trump administration leaders. Some had even speculated that she would soon run for president.

In announcing her resignation alongside President Donald Trump in the Oval Office on Tuesday, Haley knocked down any speculation that she would run for president in 2020, saying she would campaign for Trump.

"It has been an honor of a lifetime," Haley said of serving as UN ambassador.

In the meeting, Trump told reporters that Haley told him about six months ago that she would want to depart from the job after serving for two years. He added that she would stay on through the end of the year.

MASTERBAKER

༺ S❤️PER❤️ ᗰOD ༻
Super Moderator
Trump suggests Mattis may be next to resign
By Marisa Schultz

October 14, 2018 | 10:04am

Modal Trigger
trump-mattis.jpg

Getty Images
MORE ON:
JAMES MATTIS
Envelopes sent to Mattis, Navy chief test positive for ricin

Why Trump's likely to replace Mattis . . . and other commentary

Trump fears James Mattis is secretly a Democrat as he mulls his fate

Mattis travels to Afghanistan to foster peace talks as security worsens
WASHINGTON – President Trump suggested Defense Secretary James Mattis may be among the next high-level Cabinet officials to step down, calling the general a “good guy” but “sort of a Democrat.”

While Trump has a “very good relationship” with his defense chief, the president said “it could be” that Mattis will depart the administration, although the general hasn’t told him so.

“I think he’s sort of a Democrat, if you want to know the truth,” Trump told CBS’ “60 Minutes” in an interview to air Sunday. “But General Mattis is a good guy. We get along very well. He may leave. I mean, at some point, everybody leaves. Everybody. People leave. That’s Washington.”

The comments come after the announced departure of United Nations Ambassador Nikki Haley and the expected shake-up at Attorney General Jeff Sessions’ Justice Department after the midterm elections.

Trump’s White House has already set a staff turnover rate of 37 percent through June 30, the Associated Press reported, and set new records for attrition.

Trump dismissed reports that his White House is in chaos as just “wrong.”

He said he’s entitled to staff shakeups and has “phenomenal” people on standby to come work for his administration.