TV News: the Murphy Brown Revival Will Have a #MeToo Episode

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
16-murphy-brown.w190.h190.jpg

When CBS announced its Murphy Brownrevivallast January, the move was celebrated by fans who wanted Candice Bergen’s liberal, unapologetic and outspoken journalist now more than ever. But that was before the New Yorker published its exposé about CBS CEO and chairman Les Moonves, among other allegations against the network and its high-powered producers. Diane English, who created Murphy Brown and is executive producing the revival, wasted no time assuring journalists at the Television Critics Association press tour on Sunday that Murphy will be all over #MeToo stories.

“On behalf of everybody on our show, we take the allegation of sexual misconduct extremely seriously — so seriously that we actually developed an episode about the #MeToo movement many months ago and that will be our fourth episode,” English said, adding that those involved with the show fully support the Moonves investigation. (English said she has never experienced sexual misconduct or misogyny at CBS.) The fourth episode will also be promoted with the perhaps-telling hashtag #MurphyToo.

Here are seven other takeaways from the Murphy Brown panel:

They first “toyed” with a reboot when Sarah Palin ran for Vice President in 2008
English says they didn’t seriously consider a reboot back then, but eight years later, Donald Trump’s shocking presidential victory changed their minds. The new show will begin with a montage set on November 8, 2016 — the day of the presidential election — and English wants the show to advocate for journalists. “We’ve always been a political show with something to say,” she said. “But I’m focusing the show on the press. The First Amendment and the free press is under attack like I’ve never seen before and like I don’t think anyone has ever seen before.”

the vice president thought Murphy was a real person,” English said. “We plan to do the same thing again and we’ve approached a number of people. We haven’t closed the deals yet, but we do have an enormously famous person in our first episode. That’s top secret, though, so I can’t tell you.”

Murphy’s son is a liberal journalist working at a Fox News-esque network
Jake McDorman plays the grown-up Avery, who is now employed as the liberal voice of Wolf Network — a cable news outlet that Bergen made sure to say is the show’s version of Fox News. McDorman said that his character will be shaped by a life spent growing up around journalists — Faith Ford’s Corky, Joe Regalbuto’s Frank, and Grant Shaud’s Miles taught him about reporting and ethics — and by being the child of a celebrity. “He’s at an age where he’s gotten the opportunity to put all those lessons into practice, albeit at this other network, when they’re under attack,” McDorman said.

Of course, Murphy being Murphy, she’ll definitely take the business rivalry with her son seriously. “She is a fierce mom, but she is a competitive mom,” Bergen said. “Avery has his work cut out for him.”

Charles Kimbrough’s old school newsman Jim Dial will be back, but not as a series regular
English says that Kimbrough will guest star in three episodes, playing the retired journalist who “finds a compelling reason to return.” Because the show films in New York, she explained, it was too much of a commitment for Kimbrough to move from Los Angeles for a bigger role.

The show will pay tribute to Robert Pastorelli
Pastorelli, who played the fan-favorite handyman Eldin, passed away in 2004. But Bergen says his presence will still be felt and the character is mentioned in the first episode. “We haven’t yet replaced him with anyone,” she said.

Corky and Miles are kaput
Ford says Corky and Miles are not a couple anymore, since that storyline happened after English had left the original series.

The premiere has an ‘enormously famous’ cameo
“We always try to meld the worlds between fiction and reality. We were so successful in the first version of the show that the vice president thought Murphy was a real person,” English said. “We plan to do the same thing again and we’ve approached a number of people. We haven’t closed the deals yet, but we do have an enormously famous person in our first episode. That’s top secret, though, so I can’t tell you.”

Will Scott Bakula return as Murphy’s love interest?
“He works all the time,” Bergen teased, referencing Bakula’s current gig on fellow CBS show, NCIS: New Orleans.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
‘Murphy Brown’ Review: Candice Bergen-Led CBS Revival Is Yesterday’s News
dpatten.png

by Dominic Patten

September 27, 2018 5:25pm

murphy-brown-revivial-ep-2-2018.jpg

CBS

SPOILER ALERT: This review contains details of the revival of Murphy Brown, debuting tomorrow on CBS. This review originally ran on September 26

Shined up with tweets about dating Donald Trump, fourth-wall-cracking quips and Roseanne implosion asides, the revival of Murphy Brown is very meta. Yet despite those lofty lunges, the CBS sitcom still led by Candice Bergen just can’t grasp the big-picture reality of 2018.

To put it another way, FYI, if you really don’t want to “tarnish” your legacy, to quote Bergen’s now-unretired TV journalist Brown in the first episode of this de facto 11th season, then hit the reset button on this revival ASAP before irrelevance comes knocking.

ADVERTISING

Even with a sideswipe of Charlie Rose that would have never shown up on a network show just a year ago, the revival of the Diane English-created series (returning more than two decades after its last season ended) has pretty much reduced itself to a one-note Don Quixote from what I’ve seen. With surprisingly tone-deaf digs at the likes of Sarah Huckabee Sanders and Steve Bannon misfires, it is a pursuit in which the Trump White House is the constantly charged windmill to the deafening exclusion of all else.

Directly up against Fox’s newly acquired Thursday Night Football opening game pitting the Minnesota Vikings and Los Angeles Rams, the long-scheduled English-penned “Fake News” premiere episode is now set to follow a media-saturated day of high-stakes, real-life drama in Washington D.C.

trump-sept-26-2018.jpg

At one end of Pennsylvania Avenue, Trump, fresh from his UN-amusing turn, may still be preparing to either bear-hug or pink-slip his deputy attorney general Rob Rosenstein. Mitigating that, in what will be full-on coverage, former keg-imbiber and current U.S. Supreme Court hopeful Brett Kavanaugh and at least one women accusing Trump’s nominee of sexual assault are appearing on Capitol Hill.

Which means, no spoilers and no matter who that special secret guest is (bets = Hilary Clinton), that this new and slightly extended Murphy Brown is so caught up in being topically anti-Trump that it will surely be yesterday’s news before the end of the night.

It’s a devil’s bargain and, whether or not you think Trump is Lucifer walking the Earth, the fact is no scripted series — not even one with a show within a show — can match the reality show that is the Trump administration. As the new Murphy Browndisplays to a fault, to try is a fool’s errand.

murphy-brown.jpg

One of the things that always made the 1988-1998 multiple Emmy-winning run of Murphy Brown so skillful so often was the wonderfully flawed TV journalist character’s worldliness and unabashed self-involvement, propelled by Hollywood royalty Bergen’s absolutely shattering delivery and star power. Boosted unintentionally by a finger-wagging Vice President Dan Quayle name-drop, Murphy Brown was the role of a lifetime for exactly the right actor at the right time in television and for America.

Often nimbly blurring the line between real talking heads and the fictional world of its FYI network newsmagazine, the show-within-a-show series that starred Joe Regalbuto, Grant Shaud, Faith Ford, Charles Kimbrough and Robert Pastorelli also straddled the shifting media landscape of a post-Cold War America and its newly pitched culture wars.

Well, like that initially well-played and short-lived Roseanne revival and that other fairly recently unearthed blast from the past Will and Grace, most of the band is back together for this second kick at the can. Coming in from the East Coast cold of a rally against the current POTUS, Regalbuto and Ford are all gung-ho to begin making make-believe TV with Bergen’s still Aretha Franklin-loving Brown. So, at rapid speed, the whole shindig ends up in front of the camera in a fictional tweetstorm with Trump from the opening, literally and figuratively.

Murphy Brown is surely to be harshly compared to the kind of numbers it saw in its heyday, and there’s also a risk that Trump won’t do a repeat of his Roseanne response and take the obvious ratings Hail Mary bait from English and his one-time date Bergen to heart. If the President really does an online slam of “old Murphy,” as they have him doing in the Pam Fryman-helmed 9:30 PM ET tub-thumper, hate-watching could work in their favor. If not, well, not so much.

‘The Conners’: Juliette Lewis Joins Johnny Galecki In ABC’s ‘Roseanne’ Spinoff

Jojo Whilden/CBS
Narrative shortcoming aside, not so much is actually a fair encapsulation of this latest revival in a throwback-thick TV landscape, even with its seasoned cast. With Murphy in the Morning now on in the early AM on fictional cable, Shaud’s executive producer Miles Silverberg joins Bergen, Regalbuto, and Ford’s once-ingénue Corky Sherwood again, too, while Nik Dodani adds Millennial BTS comic relief as the social media director for the flip-phone-owning tech dinosaur host. A very different sort of odd duck for most of Murphy Brown 1.0, Pastorelli passed way several years ago and is sadly not part of this reunion, though his Eldin character is mentioned fondly throughout. Kimbrough’s stiff broadcast legend Jim Dial shows up for a bit in the third episode of the new season, with more appearances planned down the line.

Among the newcomers, six-time Emmy winner Tyne Daly is aboard as the salty sibling proprietor of the squad’s old watering hole, Phil’s. The Washington D.C. establishment also has another new face in college student and besieged DACA Dreamer Miguel, played with new-generation panache by Adan Rocha.

Perhaps literally and figuratively showing us how much time has passed since Murphy Brown was last on TV, CBS regular Jake McDorman is playing Brown’s now-grown son. A journalist like his mother, Avery Brown is also Murphy’s time-slot rival on the right-leaning The Wolf Network (aka Fox News), and positioned as the too-cute Millennial BFF of the White House Press Secretary.

As you can see, from top to bottom, there’s a lot of Trumpland in Murphy Brown’s world. Will it pivot away from the President to find other topics to attack, as Murphy in the Morning pledges to do?

Maybe.

Yet, much like fellow 1990s hangovers Hilary Clinton, Michael Ovitz and David Letterman, this Murphy Brown creaks along when it should have plugged in, or smartly stayed out of the game. So, unfortunately, don’t expect this leopardess to change her spots.

https://deadline.com/2018/09/murphy...en-donald-trump-diane-english-cbs-1202471678/

easy_b

Look into my eyes you are getting sleepy!!!
BGOL Investor
I don’t mind the liberal issues on that show but I am sick of all these all rehash shows popping back up... it’s like Hollywood ran out of ideas.

KRAYZIE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I loved that show when I was a lil kid. But it also tainted my views of republicans as a child. Wanted to fuck the shit out of faith ford. I remember the episode when she went ham on Dan quail

Last edited:

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I don’t mind the liberal issues on that show but I am sick of all these all rehash shows popping back up... it’s like Hollywood ran out of ideas.

Bruh MacGyver and Magnum PI are back on the air....
.wtf is next Gilligan's Island... Love Boat....
Whats Happenin' Right Now..... This ish is getting out of hand

easy_b

Look into my eyes you are getting sleepy!!!
BGOL Investor
I loved that show when I was a lil kid. But it also tinted my views of republicans as a child. Wanted to fuck the shit out of faith ford. I remember the episode when she went ham on Dan quail
Tainted????you see how the Republicans are acting now???

KRAYZIE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Tainted????you see how the Republicans are acting now???
Yes tainted. And like you said, republicans now. Had me thinking that republicans at the time were super crazy and evil, and the democrats were all angels and for the people. Truth is back then shit was grey. Dan quail was right. Her actions on the show was indeed promoting single motherhood. As a child of a single mother I thought he and the republicans were on some bullshit because I didn't know better . But as I got older and I saw all the shit that my mom went through and I started to have kids of my own I realized the importance of a 2 parent household and the family unit. Murphy had single parenthood looking nice, but they never addressed what it's like for the average woman and her kid.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Murphy Brown’s Righteous, Furious, Flawed Protest Against Sarah Huckabee Sanders
By Kathryn VanArendonk
04-murphy-brown-2.w700.h700.jpg

Photo: David Giesbrecht/Warner Bros.Entertainment Inc

The Murphy Brown revival’s second episode is designed to provoke — provoke cheers, provoke outrage, provoke disgust, provoke eye-rolling. After years of being banned from the White House, Murphy sneaks into the daily press briefing in “I (Don’t) Heart Huckabee” to confront White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders, who’s represented both as a blurry figure seen from behind and through actual clips of the real-life Sanders.

“Why do you lie?” Murphy asks her, from inside the studio set’s recreation of the White House briefing room.

“I think that’s an absolutely ridiculous question,” Sanders responds, in footage taken from a real press briefing.

The back-and-forth continues a bit, and as Murphy points out specific cases when Sanders has lied about Trump administration policies, the scene is intercut with actual reaction shots from Sanders herself. “How demoralizing is it for us to be called the enemy of the people?” Murphy asks, as we see a shot of Sanders’s downcast eyes. Eventually, Murphy attempts to lead a revolt inside the briefing room, encouraging her fellow journalists to walk out in protest — journalists who include her son Avery, a reporter for a rival Fox News-ish outlet called the Wolf Network.

“The most basic principle of journalistic integrity, to report the facts, is totally out of reach,” Murphy declares, incensed by Sanders’s persistent lies. “I say we get up and walk out right now. Let’s show this administration we’re not going to take it anymore!” No one follows her.

This scene, as well as Murphy’s on-air sparring with Donald Trump’s Twitter account in the season premiere, are direct descendants of the Murphy Brown legacy. After all, the best known story from the original show — the moment when it reached its zenith of cultural relevance — was a similar intermingling of reality and fiction. When Murphy gave birth to her son in the show’s season-four finale, she found herself under attack from Vice President Dan Quayle, who decried the way Murphy Brown “glamorized” single motherhood and contributed to the erosion of “family values.” And when the show returned for its fifth season, it fired back: While at home with her newborn, Murphy watches the real-world Quayle speech, aghast that her personal life has been dragged into national conversation. She tries to ignore it as long as she can, but eventually drags herself away from maternity leave so she can appear on her (fictional) news program and respond to the (actual) vice president about the cruel unfairness of defining a family in such a narrow, close-minded way.

Dick Wolf’s FBI. (Also, Mom, a sitcom that’s miraculously managed to be subversive and female and revolutionary without pinging the outrage radar.) It is a laudably visible moment, although it’s not brave or insightful or even particularly radical. It’s certainly not deft, either: As NPR’s Linda Holmespoints out, Murphy interrupts the reporter Sanders who actually calls on, an “April” who could only be White House correspondent April Ryan, a woman of color who’s been the target of several demeaning, racist remarks from the Trump administration.

I so wish that costly, suggestive misstep weren’t there, because the rest of the scene is entirely in keeping with who Murphy Brown is. This isn’t Will & Grace’s“Make America Gay Again” hat, and it’s not Roseanne’s “never say Trump’s name but yell about politics” approach either. It is as outspoken and blunt as the times we live in. Even better, Murphy Brown proceeds to have its #RESIST cake and eat it too: Murphy is furious that her son didn’t stand up with her, but then swifty realizes he was right not to do so. The episode ends with a humbled Murphy admitting that her protest was wrong, even if her message was right. Murphy Brown uses its old device of embedding reality in its fiction, but then deploys that tool to stage its liberal wish-fulfillment, show us a prominent female journalist raging against attacks on the truth, and then let her admit she was wrong.

I will take my public disavowals of attacks on journalism where I can get them, even when they’re flawed, and even when they feel like a cathartic excuse to rail against what’s essentially a cardboard cut-out of a real person. In that moment in the White House press room, Murphy Brown was furious. I was happy to see her fury.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Charles Kimbrough, anchor Jim Dial on Murphy Brown, dies at 86

The Tony- and Emmy-nominated star died last month, his son confirmed.
By Jessica WangFebruary 05, 2023 at 02:45 PM EST

Charles Kimbrough, the Tony and Emmy-nominated actor best known for his role as straight-faced anchorman Jim Dial on the hit sitcom Murphy Brown, died Jan. 11 in Culver City, Calif. He was 86.
His son, John Kimbrough, confirmed the death to The New York Times.
A veteran stage actor, Kimbrough got his big break as the hard-drinking Harry in the original production of Stephen Sondheim's Company, for which he earned a Tony Award nomination in 1971. He later appeared in another acclaimed Sondheim musical, Sunday in the Park With George, in 1984. Kimbrough also starred in the 1995 off-Broadway production of Sylvia opposite Sarah Jessica Parker and appeared in Leonard Bernstein's Candide, as well as Same Time, Next Year, Accent on Youth, The Merchant of Venice, and most recently, the 2012 revival of Harvey opposite Jim Parsons.

Kimbrough would go on to achieve mainstream success for his role as anchorman Jim Dial on the sitcom Murphy Brown, centered on the personal and professional misadventures of the title character played by Candice Bergen, a star reporter for FYI, a fictional television newsmagazine. The hit CBS series ran for 10 seasons between 1988 and 1998. Kimbrough reprised his character for a few episodes of the 2018 reboot.

Charles Kimbrough as Jim Dial on 'Murphy Brown'

| CREDIT: CBS VIA GETTY
In an interview for the Archive of American Television in 2007, Murphy Brown creator Diane English said Kimbrough "wrote a whole biography for his character before he started to play him."

"Charlie is the most lovable, lanky, rubbery, sweet, adorable man," English said. "When he came in to read for us as Jim Dial, he just brought it all there: I mean, that ramrod posture, the anchor voice, the slicked-back hair. He brought a credibility to the character. We didn't want a Ted Baxter version of this guy. We wanted the real deal, from the Walter Cronkite, Edward R. Murrow era, and Charlie brought all that weight, in addition to just amazing comic timing."
Kimbrough has appeared in over 40 titles throughout his career, including TV shows Another World, Kojak, All My Children, Tales of the Unexpected, American Playhouse, Love Boat: The Next Wave, and Ally McBeal. His film credits include The Front, It's My Turn, The Good Mother, and The Wedding Planner. Kimbrough also provided voiceover work, including as Victor in the 1996 animated version of The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Mort Chalk on Recess, and Sandy Dreckman on Pinky and the Brain.
In addition to his son, Kimbrough is survived by his sister Linda and stepdaughter Holly Howland.

Yahweh

The one true God
BGOL Patreon Investor
He is with Me now. CBS canceling the Murphy Brown revival after one season was a sin as grievous as homosexual sex in Church!