TV News: Mindy Kaling animated HBO Velma series Will Reimagine Character As Being Of East Asian Descent (Won't Include Scooby-Doo Or Mystery Machine)

eagle force

Rising Star
Platinum Member
i watched scooby do as a child and young adult

and i never had even a miniscule desire to see velma in her own adventures without the core gang.

this gonna be DOA just like batwoman, naomi, which were other shows nobody watched

CptMARVEL

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I am still trying to find out how he knows all the shyt that is going to happen! If he's right then yeah fcuk this show, but I have yet to see a trailer.
Just wait for it, bub.
You'll thank me later for taking the bullshit jabs and insults from other less tolerant members... ;)

CptMARVEL

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

and i never had even a miniscule desire to see velma in her own adventures without the core gang.

this gonna be DOA just like batwoman, naomi, which were other shows nobody watched
You're stating what most intelligent people already understand.
- But be careful.
Posting simple truths like this means you're gonna be labelled "incel" by members here who are gonna try to "shame" you into watching a show you have NO interest in watching...:rolleyes:

0utsyder

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

For whatever reason I couldn't STAND Scooby-Doo as an adult. Loved it as a kid though. From the still that was posted the animation looks similar to that of Harley. And the popularity of that might be what they're going for.

And they might not be changing the ethnicity of Velma. She gets knocked up by South Asian dude and names the daughter after her or the new detective agency since the gang doesn't want to work with her anymore, etc...

And I just came up with that while typing this shyt up, who know what "professional" writers come up with. :rolleyes2:

CptMARVEL

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Just got back from Google. Looks like she used the following formula:

1. Piggyback onto beloved character for built-in audience.
2. Turn kid themed show into "dark and gritty" with gore and sexuality.
3. Have white folks create free advertising by race-swapping said beloved character.
4. Insulate from criticism by playing sexual identity/ racism card against white folks referenced in #3.

Honestly, I would have given it a chance if she was brave enough to create a truly original South Asian crime fighter, but this malarky???? Pass.

d21ca5006235b47fe37f56abbf7e79102b55d4e8.jpg
I said the same thing in another thread, but mofo's got all into their feelings about it.

Basically, this chick couldn't create a new, interesting, original character of her own, so (like most untalented hacks) she begged the "White powers that be", to borrow one of theirs for the sake of representation and diversity. She changed the characters ethnicity, her race and added an LGBTQ identity for the Twitter crowd to fawn over. Representation and diversity IS NOT changing the race, gender and sexuality of a previously existing character for SJW's and people of color to cheer for.

I mean, seriously. Who is this shit for...? :hmm:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
apparently not....lol

apparently not...lol

It's crazy though

When the creator TELLS the fans exactly what the character is?

They get mad furious and don't accept it if it isn't what THEY PERSONALLY projected on this fictional Character

But

When OTHER fans project their ideas onto the same character?

They get even madder.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
apparently not....lol

apparently not...lol

Fair point

Gonna drive these cellar dwellers crazy

Oh and my favorite thing instead of just ignoring the show?

Not talking about?

They feel an uncontrollable need to sh*t on it

Not realizing all this is just free promotion for the project.

They won't create their OWN projects

which apparently is so EASY.

Opinion is fine but the levels of emotion and fake outrage is laughable

It's Scooby f*cking Doo.

It's been translated in dozens of languages so just off THAT interpretation of the characters will be wild different

Let alone video quality, air times & dates etc etc.

There have been dozens of versions too.

So one series Velma may have a crush of Daphne another Shaggy another Scooby-Doo....

It's a cartoon not a history lesson.

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

This is so true

And see the fractured logic of these cellar dwellers

When they said Lex Luthor is black?

Oh they loved it.

But the other side hated it

Same with Darkseid

I swear I have never seen a group so committed to searching out every crumb of unhappiness they can find and devouring it.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Lots of folks today are not looking at the original Velma and understanding what she was.

984.jpg

Velma_Dinkley.png

You look at her back in 1969, she was intentionally drawn to look unattractive.

The short, boyish style haircut, thick glass’ and goofy, buck tooth smile.

And with her clothing. She wore a big, frumpy, oversized turtleneck sweater. The point of her outfit was to show she was physically mature for a teenage girl with big natural boobs. Girls her age who got big natural boobs are historically self-conscious of how they look and try to hide their chest. Singer Billie Eilish is a good example. As you can see, even with the big sweater, you can see the outline of her big boobs.

Also, the animators intentionally drew her with a stature of a prominent arch in her stance. Giving the impression she was packing some booty back there.

And with her skirt, you can see the thickness of her thighs and calves. A good indication that Velma is a true natural PAWG. Nothing fake about her.

When you see Velma standing next to Daphne. The immediate visual is Daphne is the “Hot Chick” dudes want and Velma isn’t.

daphne-velma-scooby-doo.jpg

50331_scoob4.png

With how they are currently depicting her looking attractive gets away from her original premise. Even with these current Cos-Play chicks, the clothing they wear is not worn correctly, especially the turtleneck sweater which they all wear to tight and form fitting.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
“Nobody ever complained about a talking dog solving mysteries,” Kaling said of her “Scooby-Doo” spinoff. “So I don’t think they’ll be upset over a brown Velma.”

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
Easy! She doesn't have enough faith in her writing abilities, so she has to latch on to an existing property.
Exactly. If it were just a prequel, they keep the character a game-goofy white bitch. They can't create their own characters because they need the built-in name recognition. Meanwhile, they will shit on fans who don't like it. Can't make it up. Then they mad when shit bombs.

I just hope people keep the same 'nothing to see' energy when they feel comfortable swapping out black characters(We talking modern era, not hollywood decades ago). Because it's is coming. First it will be straight black males reimagined as LGBTQ then just swap them altogether for Asian or Hispanic. :smh:

Shadow

The Dark Lord
BGOL Investor
It's a prequel, and there's been a lowkey thought by many for years that she's the one that actually solves the majority of their mysteries. If anything they'll probably make it more obvious that she's Lesbian since they've been trying to hint at it for years but a lot of people still didn't get it.

Could see this after reading that Shaggy was a Infantry LRRP/dog handler in Vietnam and Scoob was the pup of the original Scooby-Doo who was killed in Vietnam with the rest of Shaggy’s team.

Shaggy outran the VC for weeks without food or water until he was able to get back to US forces control. That’s why he eats so much as he will never be hungry again if he doesn’t have to.

Daphne’s dad figured it out while doing background checks and him and then hinted it to the gang since they all went to college while Shaggy got drafted.Pops used to hate hippy Shaggy until he found out about the 2 Silver Stars and the pending DSC up floating around the pentagon. Shaggy doesn’t bring it up and neither do they.

Shag and Scoob apparently also disappear for days at a time and the gang found out he checks on the families of his team and gives them money. He doesn’t bring it up and neither do they.

shaggy is the fucking man, but they don’t ever discuss it.

Scooby- Doo has a MONSTER background arch, family.

my mind was blown when I found that shut up.

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Could see this after reading that Shaggy was a Infantry LRRP/dog handler in Vietnam and Scoob was the pup of the original Scooby-Doo who was killed in Vietnam with the rest of Shaggy’s team.

Shaggy outran the VC for weeks without food or water until he was able to get back to US forces control. That’s why he eats so much as he will never be hungry again if he doesn’t have to.

Daphne’s dad figured it out while doing background checks and him and then hinted it to the gang since they all went to college while Shaggy got drafted.Pops used to hate hippy Shaggy until he found out about the 2 Silver Stars and the pending DSC up floating around the pentagon. Shaggy doesn’t bring it up and neither do they.

Shag and Scoob apparently also disappear for days at a time and the gang found out he checks on the families of his team and gives them money. He doesn’t bring it up and neither do they.

shaggy is the fucking man, but they don’t ever discuss it.

Scooby- Doo has a MONSTER background arch, family.

my mind was blown when I found that shut up.

Fam with all due respect.......

WTF are you talking about? Haha

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Jinkies! Lesbian Velma is finally canon in the new Scooby-Doo movie

The beloved brainiac develops a crush on a female felon in Trick or Treat Scooby-Doo!
By Jessica WangOctober 04, 2022 at 02:29 PM EDT

Lesbian Velma is officially canon in the new Scooby-Doo animated film, Trick or Treat Scooby-Doo!
Director Audie Harrison's Halloween offering of the beloved franchise, centered on Mystery Inc.'s exploits against the head of a notorious costume crime syndicate, confirms common knowledge among fans that Velma is gay. In the film, the brainiac (voiced by Kate Micucci) develops a crush on Coco Diablo (Myrna Velasco), the aforementioned head of the notorious crime syndicate, much to the joy of the Scooby-Doo fandom.

Scenes featuring a flustered Velma have been making the rounds on Twitter. In one scene, Daphne (Grey Griffin) teases her fellow mystery solver about the obvious attraction. "I didn't know convicted felons were your type," she quips. A nervous Velma brushes the comments off before declaring, "Oh, who am I kidding? I'm crushing big time, Daphne!"

The animated film also features the familiar voice talents of Frank Welker as Scooby-Doo and Fred and Matthew Lillard as Shaggy. While Velma's sexuality has remained largely ambiguous, both James Gunn — who wrote the live-action films circa the early 2000s — and Tony Cervone — a producer on the Mystery Incorporated series — have said she is gay.
In 2020, Gunn tweeted that he tried to make his version of Velma (played by Linda Cardellini) gay, but Warner Bros. "kept watering it down & watering it down, becoming ambiguous (the version shot), then nothing (the released version) & finally having a boyfriend (the sequel)." During Pride Month that year, Cervone similarly said his iteration of Velma is gay.

"I obviously don't represent every version of Velma Dinkley, but I am one of the key people that represents this one," he shared on Instagram. "We made our intentions as clear as we could ten years ago. Most of our fans got it. To those that didn't, I suggest you look closer. There's no new news here."

Trick or Treat Scooby-Doo! is available to rent or purchase digitally now.