TV Discussion: The Wonder Years Reboot with a Black family exec prod. Lee Daniels UPDATE: WTF CANCELLED!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
yo yall have to watch this show its really good i cant wait till the next episode..this isnt like blackish or that sorry show mixish i dont like those shows but this one is a hit..

I was very very pleasantly surprised

they got a WHOLE lot into a first episidoe.

Ain't perfect but it is VERY well done and well acted.

Cheadle does a good job (yeah some stuff was a little forced but its early)

that young man looks like Don cheadle son!

So far I like all the leads and the supporting actors

make up and costumes good

I cannot really give a real negative.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
and it would be cool if it was a Wonder Years for the 90's, since the original was in the 90's showing the 60's

I stick by this

Do black people have fondness for the 60's?

We're going to pretend it was peaches and cream?

Like I said, should be doing 90's, since a lot of people will have nostalgia for the 90's. Most of us weren't around for the 60's.

Chiyo

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The thing that stood out to me is the wife works while the husband is a professor and popular musician. Would it have gone down like that back then? The wife would have surely been at home if the dad had money like that.

Ryokurin

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Like I said, should be doing 90's, since a lot of people will have nostalgia for the 90's. Most of us weren't around for the 60's.

Doing it in the 90s would have it compared to "Fresh of the Boat" or "Everything Sucks!" And probably real 90s shows like "My So-Called Life" and "Boy Meets World" since those are still somewhat popular.

The 80s has also been fished by "The Goldberg's", "Stranger Things" and "Everybody Hates Chris"

You can't just look at it by the years. The time between 1968 and 1988 changed a lot more for us as a society than it did between 1998 and today. I think part of the charm of the original was that it didn't feel adjacent to the 80s but was still relatable, while the 90s today still sort of feels like today, just a lot calmer and optimistic.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
The thing that stood out to me is the wife works while the husband is a professor and popular musician. Would it have gone down like that back then? The wife would have surely been at home if the dad had money like that.

that is an interesting observation I did not consider...

but I don't know what the salaries would have been back then especially for back folk

it most definitely would NOT be equal.

and they specified in the intro in that area?

everyone worked

and were professionals of some time whether it be manual labor , education etc.

and it was 1968...

both parents would be working at that time.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Alan Pergament: 'The Wonder Years' is a cleverly written and moving reboot of classic series
Support this work for $1 a month
This image released by ABC shows the cast of "The Wonder Years," from left, Dulé Hill, Saycon Sengbloh, Elisha Williams and Laura Kariuki. The series, narrated by Don Cheadle, premieres today.
Erika Doss

Alan Pergament
Ihave vivid memories of the news conference in Los Angeles before the 1988 premiere of ABC’s “The Wonder Years.”
The pilot of a series about growing up in suburbia in the 1960s made me recall my youth so much that I asked co-creators Neal Marlens and Carol Black if any town was the model for the series.
“We wanted it to be a typical suburb, like Levittown," said Marlens.
It was no wonder the pilot about a preteen played by an adorable Fred Savage and narrated as an adult by Daniel Stern spoke to me: I grew up in Levittown, Long Island.
It was a wonderful place to grow up in the 1960s, with good schools, swimming pools, baseball fields, basketball courts and village greens to congregate with friends.

But there was one shameful aspect of Levittown life that I was unaware of growing up and only learned decades later in one of the remembrances of the town’s anniversaries.

I didn’t realize growing up there was a contract clause that prevented Black people from owning homes there. I knew there weren’t any Black people in the town, but as a kid you don’t think about that much. I have thought about it a lot since.

It also made the reboot of “The Wonder Years” about a middle-class Black family living in Montgomery, Ala., during the civil rights movement in the 1960s surprising and even more moving to me.

A coming-of-age show about a preteen boy originally set in a Long Island town that didn’t allow Blacks to own homes has been transformed 33 years later into a reboot about potential racial harmony in Alabama.

Needless to say, I was predisposed to love it even before learning that Dulé Hill of “The West Wing” was starring as the patriarch of the Williams family.
Here is the mini review of the pilot airing and the likelihood that I would stream more episodes if it had been a streaming show and they were available to preview.
“The Wonder Years,” 8:30 tonight and repeats at 8 p.m. Friday, WKBW-TV
Hill plays Bill Williams, a music professor and funk musician who exemplifies “cool.” Elisha Williams plays Dean Williams, who like Kevin Arnold (Savage’s character) is trying to find his way in a family that includes a cheerleader sister Kim (Laura Lariuki) who appears to becoming increasingly interested in social issues and an unseen athletic brother serving in Vietnam. Dean also is infatuated by Keisa (Milan Ray), the show’s version of Kevin’s crush, Winnie Cooper (Danica McKellar). The cast also includes Saycon Sengbloh as Dean’s mother Lillian and Julian Lerner as Dean’s white friend Brad, who Dean refers to “as the Pee Wee Reese to my Jackie Robinson if Pee Wee was Jewish and Jackie Robinson couldn’t catch a fly ball.” Don Cheadle narrates as the adult Dean who recalls the past.

You’ll Like It If: You like cleverly written, nostalgic shows about strong parents raising Black children to understand potential racial issues in a state where white kids are reluctant to drink from the same water fountain as Blacks and Black parents are reluctant to allow their kids to test if any progress is being made.
You’ll Hate It If: There isn’t anything to hate. However, some people might question if some of the abrupt harmony in the pilot depicted in an integrated kids’ baseball games comes a little too easily.
Quotes from the Conference Call with Critics: From writer-executive producer Saladin K. Patterson on why the pilot was set in 1968 when a 12-year-old would be 65 today instead of the 1990s: “The honest answer is we wanted to really take the opportunity to show a part of Black middle-class life that had not been seen before.

“Usually, when you talk about the late '60s, it's talking about the struggle in the civil rights movement and things like that, that are very valid, and a part of our story as well, but the perspective of the Black middle class during that time specifically was something that I know stood out to Lee (Daniels, another executive producer) and then stood out to me as well when we first started talking about even doing a reimagining of this show.

“And then the humorous side of that is, for whatever reasons maybe it's because we're getting older ourselves – but the difference between now and, like, the late '90s or early 2000s does not seem to be as different as when the original came out and you were looking from '88 back to '68. It seemed like that was just much more had happened between those two gaps of time. And so we really gravitated toward sticking to the ‘The Wonder Years’ universe of the original, and really looking at this Black middle-class perspective during that time because we haven't really seen that represented on TV and film before.”

From Fred Savage, who moved from in front of the camera as Kevin to directing the reboot of the pilot: “There's a lot of elements of this show that feel very comfortable and familiar, I think, to me, and to an audience as well. We're maintaining a similar tone, a similar blend of comedy and truth, the same idea of a narrator looking back on his youth, kind of with the wisdom of age, but there are things that are incredibly unique about this show, and the fact that it's a brand-new family, brand-new characters I think allows us to maintain some of the things we loved about the original, while also telling a wholly unique and new story with new people.”

Outlook: It is a dramedy, so it as much about the drama as the comedy. In other words, we aren’t talking about big laughs but nods of recognition about narrated lines like wearing eyeglasses in junior high is “basically telling your cousin to get her prom dress ready.” The cast is uniformly excellent. CBS News legend Walter Cronkite arrives to announce a major historical moment near the end that changes the tone, but the original show did that, too. My chance of watching additional episodes if they were streamed would be 10 out of 10.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Doing it in the 90s would have it compared to "Fresh of the Boat" or "Everything Sucks!" And probably real 90s shows like "My So-Called Life" and "Boy Meets World" since those are still somewhat popular.

The 80s has also been fished by "The Goldberg's", "Stranger Things" and "Everybody Hates Chris"

You can't just look at it by the years. The time between 1968 and 1988 changed a lot more for us as a society than it did between 1998 and today. I think part of the charm of the original was that it didn't feel adjacent to the 80s but was still relatable, while the 90s today still sort of feels like today, just a lot calmer and optimistic.

^^^^^

Ryokurin

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

All we know is he got one song on the radio. Probably a bit early to say he's successful yet. I wouldn't be surprised if they do a subplot of him trying to reach that high again.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
I thought this was very well done especially for a premiere episode.

Actually had me laugh out loud a few times

I do NOT do that often

and I like a black led family show we can all watch together.

Enjoyed the reboot pilot as well. The pacing was fast enough that they were able to introduce a number of characters. Listened to the interview with the showrunner last week, and he noted the lead actor is a really mature kid. Very sensible & an old soul. He's happy the kid's getting this chance to shine on a primetime show. Good to see Allen Maldonado as the coach (been watching him lately on Heels). Dule Hill was good as dad. Enjoyed having Cheadle as narrator. Mom & sister played their roles well, as did Dean's 2 friends at school. The kid playing the bully was believable too.

If you enjoyed the original Wonder Years, and more recently Everybody Hates Chris, Young Rock, etc ... give it a watch.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Tirhakah Love is a writer from Houston Texas who began writing culture criticism at MTV News. His work on music, pop culture, and politics have been published in the New York Times, Rolling Stone, The San Francisco Chronicle and LA Times. He also hosts a forthcoming YouTube series and podcast called Free Cable.

love-author_w3w5a3.jpg

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

clitsational

Rising Star
Platinum Member
don't fuck with anything that homo has put his faggy fingers on

shame too cus i am a fan of dule and don

:cool:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Enjoyed the reboot pilot as well. The pacing was fast enough that they were able to introduce a number of characters. Listened to the interview with the showrunner last week, and he noted the lead actor is a really mature kid. Very sensible & an old soul. He's happy the kid's getting this chance to shine on a primetime show. Good to see Allen Maldonado as the coach (been watching him lately on Heels). Dule Hill was good as dad. Enjoyed having Cheadle as narrator. Mom & sister played their roles well, as did Dean's 2 friends at school. The kid playing the bully was believable too.

If you enjoyed the original Wonder Years, and more recently Everybody Hates Chris, Young Rock, etc ... give it a watch.

Gentlemen...

this brother consistently has one of the best well written media reviews on the entire internet

PERIOD.

networks would PAY for observations as good as this.

pookie

Thinking of a Master Plan
BGOL Investor
Sorry but “Everybody Hates Chris” was the black Wonder Years, this reboot isn’t that good and it’s like they use ”EHC” storylines. This nudie magazine episode is a remixed version of the EHC episode

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Dulé Hill on being the cool dad for The Wonder Years and why the role means so much to him

"It's my honor and my joy to share this story with the viewing audience at this time," the West Wing alum tells EW.
By Tyler AquilinaOctober 13, 2021 at 05:03 PM EDT

The Wonder Years (2021 TV show)

WATCH IT NOW ON
Hulu, fuboTV, Prime Video, and more options
The "reimagined" Wonder Years pilot begins not with an iconic, era-defining song, à la the Byrds' "Turn! Turn! Turn!" in the original series, but a little-known soul tune called "I Need You More." On the show, it's a song by Dulé Hill's character Bill Williams that his family is thrilled to hear on the radio. But in real life, the song was written by Bill Patterson — father of The Wonder Years' showrunner, Saladin K. Patterson, and the inspiration for the "music professor by day and funk musician by night" played by Hill.
"That alone makes this very special to me," the West Wing alum tells EW. "I'm very aware that I'm not playing Saladin's father, but the inspiration has come from that. As you're endeavoring to bring a new character to life, you're always looking for certain things that you can put stakes down on to be able to create from there."
Patterson (the younger) feels equally fortunate to have Hill on board, especially in a role that shows off the breadth of his abilities. "I know how multitalented he is, but most of America either knows him just as a comedian or just as a dramatic actor," the showrunner says. "The fact that I now get an opportunity to show America that he can do all of the above is a great blessing."

Dulé Hill plays music professor-slash-funk musician Bill Williams on 'The Wonder Years.'

| CREDIT: ERIKA DOSS/ABC
Hill is admittedly still in the process of building Bill Williams (the show's first season is currently in production in Atlanta), but the character that's begun to take shape over The Wonder Years' first few episodes is unlike any he's played before. An occasionally tough but loving father to 12-year-old Dean (Elisha "EJ" Williams) and an ambitious musician with a laid-back charm, Bill is a character with whom Hill, who recently became a father himself, feels deeply connected.
"They say art imitates life, but life informs art," the actor says. "For myself, having a 17-year-old daughter and a 2-year-old son, I understand what drives Bill Williams. I can understand, even while trying to reach for his own dreams, the priority being laying a foundation for his family to have the best opportunity of success. Both Bill Williams and I are just running our leg of the race, and we want to make sure that we hand the baton off in the best way that we can."

It was a "no-brainer" for Hill to join The Wonder Years, he says. The actor knew Patterson well — the showrunner previously worked as a writer-producer on Psych — and had avidly watched the original series starring Fred Savage while growing up.
"I don't know if you can be a child of the late '80s without being a fan of the show, or at least having a big awareness of the show," says Hill, who was 12 when the original series debuted. "I grew up in a suburb in New Jersey, so there was a lot in the show that I could relate to. But I was also very aware that I didn't see myself reflected in the show. I realized that it was a world that did not include me, and as much as I love and appreciate the show, that was always lingering in my mind."
Dulé Hill on 'The Wonder Years'

So when he heard that a new Wonder Years was being made with Patterson at the helm, Hill turned to his wife and said, "If I was going to be doing a network television show, this is exactly the kind of show that I would want to do."
"Knowing Saladin's sensibilities, I thought that telling this story through his lens, with his point of view being the engine behind it, could be something very entertaining and also very enlightening at the same time," the actor explains. The involvement of names like Don Cheadle (who narrates the series), Lee Daniels (who executive produces), and Savage (who EPs, directs, and advises on the series' tone) — as well as Saycon Sengbloh, a veteran stage actress who plays Hill's onscreen wife — only sweetened the deal.
"I love working with brilliant people, talented people, people that respect the gifts and artistry inside of others," Hill says. "And I love working with people that don't bring ego to the table."
He also has "a growing love" for his onscreen children, Williams and Laura Kariuki, who plays Dean's teenage sister Kim. "EJ is a brilliant young man and a talented artist, and I'm really excited to see what he's going to do as he goes forward — in this role, but also beyond this role," Hill says. "And Laura's the same way. She's extremely talented and knows her craft very well; I love playing scenes with her. I know at some point I'm going to turn around and say, 'Oh yeah, I worked with EJ Williams and Laura Kariuki.' "
What's more, he muses, "It's very interesting for me seeing EJ in this experience, because I started [performing] as a young child as well, so I can see parts of myself reflected in his experience now. Mind you, I was performing for maybe about 500 people, not millions of people every week, but it's causing me to have my own nostalgia about my yesterday."
Dulé Hill dispenses some fatherly wisdom to Elisha 'EJ' Williams on 'The Wonder Years'

Nostalgia, of course, was key to the original Wonder Years, and it's key to the "high-wire act," as Hill puts it, that the new show is trying to pull off as well. "Touching on nostalgia but not being too heavy-handed, dealing with issues but not preaching about issues — it's a lot of wonderful ingredients that if you don't get the measurements exactly right, it can spoil the whole batter," Hill says with a laugh. But that mixture, he adds, is especially resonant for our current moment in time.
"If we look at this last year, when the world has been turned on its axis, and there is so much unrest inside this nation, we still had laughter, and we still had joy," the actor reflects. "Within our four walls, it wasn't COVID all the time, it wasn't social unrest all the time, it wasn't politics all the time. And as we look back to the '60s, it was the same thing. It wasn't all water hoses and dogs for Black families in America. Oftentimes we can think this is all it was for this group of people. And it was not. That was a part of it, it was a major part of it, but it wasn't all of it."
And he hopes sharing that story — of a loving and joyful family in a time of upheaval — will prove inspiring to viewers in 2021. "America is full of millions of unique and diverse stories, and this is just one of them," Hill says. "The original Wonder Years was one story, this is another, and there's many more to share after this one. But it's my honor and my joy to share this story with the viewing audience at this time."
Still, there's one person whose opinion is foremost in his mind.
"I hope that Mr. Patterson is very proud of Bill Williams," Hill says with a laugh, "and I'm not talking about Saladin."
The Wonder Years airs Wednesdays at 8:30 p.m. ET/PT on ABC.