TV Discussion: New series by Donald Glover - Atlanta UPDATE: FINAL 4th Season Sept 2022!

futureshock

Renegade of this atomic age
Registered
I'm curious if it will work in a half hour format...

cause I REALLY liked this as an hour.

I like the 1 hour idea too, but they get to stretch a season out a little longer if they do one at a time.

Some networks show the previous week's episode and the new ep back to back. Some show the same ep back to back (does not help, I know). Some show two new eps (they probably do not have the inventory to do that). But on another note, some networks such as Adult Swim made smaller sized eps really popular. So they probably went into the season with the half hour of allocated time in mind....IMHO. Afterall, this is a new show with an unfamiliar cast and an under exposed lead.

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
i don't know cause i didn't watch it back to back. i watched 1 episode
watched something else then watched the 2nd on purpose.

I can tell you it was excellent in that long form, I was immediately drawn into that world I got the rhythms and sounds...

It was the most comfortable I have been with a show in a LONG time.

I mentioned earlier, I am impressed with all the cadences accents colors and speech patterns of all involved it was almost like a damn stage play.

I had to REALLY watch cause Darius is doing things on screen cuz that are AMAZING...that wings scene his facial expressions and body movements.

Wait even better that VERY FIRST bedroom scene?

I was sold...

that was it right there I have BEEN in that situation!
that chemistry they have, you gotta give FX credit they really let creators run with their specific vision.

I could see you working within that framework EASILY.

sherminator

They hate to see us wiiiiinnnniiinnng
Registered
I used to wonder why most of the early Atlanta rappers like Kast never showed the city in their videos. It would be like the woods or the burbs.

You go in either direction out of the city for 15-20 mins and you are in pine trees, dirt roads and country.

Well not entirely true, kast shows/gets love wherever they are, but even though many are not directly from the A they will shout their area while claiming atl, because you will do business/kick it in atl 15 mins any direction would be city, like marietta, stone mountain, clay-co, lithonia, dougvill etc now some of those places yeah it has country pockets, but city none the less,

That's false.

Actually true, there are not many places you can stay in atlanta proper, that is not either the size of a shoe box or every time you shut the window it may be on someone's

I could have sworn I already mentioned in this thread that I also have properties in Atlanta. So I be in Atlanta a lot throughout the year checking on my assets and I've been in and out of the city since the early 90's when I acquired my properties there. So I know all about ATL.

Yeah you mentioned that, I traveled to atl during the 90s too because my grandfather lived there, and I couldnt tell you much about hip hop then, now when I lived there from 06 to 14 I could tell you what's poppin, a fair amount of time, because its so much going on,

Now looking at this logically, you say, I travel frequently, for checking on your properties, well that can't be cost effective, to go to atl, ottawa, detroit and them other cities, get a room, I imagine rent a car, feed/entertain yourself multiple times and what's the frequency? Once a month ? Because more than that has to eat into any profit you make, and how long you in town a weekend ? I know good and damn well you can't get a feel for the flavor of atl off a weekend visit, if thats the case what spots are you visiting? Secondly atl in the 90s and now are like two totally different eras and , hell 90% of the spots are gone 4 to 5 times over

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
I can tell you it was excellent in that long form, I was immediately drawn into that world I got the rhythms and sounds...

It was the most comfortable I have been with a show in a LONG time.

I mentioned earlier, I am impressed with all the cadences accents colors and speech patterns of all involved it was almost like a damn stage play.

I had to REALLY watch cause Darius is doing things on screen cuz that are AMAZING...that wings scene his facial expressions and body movements.

Wait even better that VERY FIRST bedroom scene?

I was sold...

that was it right there I have BEEN in that situation!
that chemistry they have, you gotta give FX credit they really let creators run with their specific vision.

I could see you working within that framework EASILY.

I believe it works as an hour for sure but I didn't want to get my mind fixated on an hour that's never coming again lol. so next week i'll be good with 30 minutes
and yea i had a trillion ideas already

LSN

Phat booty lover.
BGOL Investor
Half an hour works just fine. I intentionally watched it like a half hour just to see. and it def does plus there's a better chance it'll last more season if it's not an hour. wanting more is way better than having too much time during a show

ya ballers is the only show I can think of where a half hour doesn't seem to work for a dramedy...but entourage...californication...and even house of lies (initially) have all worked...so I don't think it'll be an issue

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
A British kid named Tom Holland. I can't lie; he killed the role in Civil War, so I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes.

He did.....but I see no reason why Childish shouldn't have got the shot and I Think at the time it was the Garfields Spiderman if i'm not mistaken.

That's gotta be a great feeling as a young actor like Holland getting Civil War and Spider-Man roles early in your career. Making millions and getting that mainstream international exposure!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
How Brian Tyree Henry Became Paper Boi,Atlanta’s Rising Rap Star

06-brian-tyree-henry-1.w529.h352.jpg

Brian Tyree Henry spent his first day in character as Alfred, a.k.a. Paper Boi, on Donald Glover’snew FX comedy, Atlanta, filming a music video in front of a housing project in Bankhead, the west Atlanta community known as the birthplace of trap rap. “We’d play the song and the neighborhood kids would come out,” Henry, 34, recalled over lunch in Los Angeles. “They really thought I was Paper Boi.”

Atlanta, which premiered its first two episodes Tuesday night on FX,tells the story of Earn Marks (Glover), a struggling, underemployed father who sees an opportunity to manage his cousin Alfred’s budding career as a trap rapper. (The subgenre of rap music, which began in the early 1990s, marked the first time “trappin,” or drug dealing, was introduced in the lyrics of rap songs. “Trap” also refers to the feeling of being stuck in a life of poverty.) When Glover auditioned actors to play the show’s rapper, he looked for men who had comedic timing but could also be intimidating when necessary. “Someone who was scary to some people just by existing,” Glover said. At six-foot-two and 250 pounds, Henry cut the imposing figure needed for Alfred, whose day job is selling drugs with his buddy Darius.

“I'm a big guy, I look like a linebacker, you know? But no one cares, really, that I'm educated,” Henry said. “I have a copy of Fire Next Time by James Baldwin in my bag. I have an Ibsen play in there, too. I have to walk through this world with that duality all the time, that I live in two different worlds. And that's what I love about Alfred — Alfred only knows one world. He's not gonna make any apologies, 'cause you in my town.”

Henry, who has a teddy-bear charisma and is quick with a joke, grew up in North Carolina with his four sisters until his parents separated, and his mother, a special education teacher, moved with the five children to Washington, D.C. After graduating from Morehouse College in 2004, Henry earned an MFA from the Yale School of Drama. His big break arrived in 2011 when he became the first actor to play the role of “The General” in The Book of Mormon. Since then, Henry has appeared on TV dramas, such as The Good Wife and Boardwalk Empire and has a recurring role on HBO’s freshman comedy Vice Principals as the principal’s (Kimberly Hebert Gregory) lousy, estranged husband. ButAtlantagave him his most high profile role to date.

Henry remembers how just hearing his manager say the title of Glover’s show made him nostalgic for his years at Morehouse, living in a city where black people lead in business, government, sports, and entertainment. It was also in Atlanta where Henry first envisioned a different life for himself. “I discovered that acting gave me this spark, this thing," Henry said, adding grimly, "Honestly, it was a way to survive. Living in the South at that time, being a young black man, there are statistics: Once you're 18, you're supposed to be in jail or you're selling drugs, and once you're 21, you're probably dead.” The show, Henry adds, “invites you to see the different sides of Atlanta, the different sides of us than what you think we can be or can’t be,” he said. “The show is blaaaaaack. It is unapologetically that.”

The role of Alfred in particularevoked memories of some of Henry’s college friends, “that guy who loves family and friends but can be petty at the same time, that country guy who makes anyone laugh, that can just get the party going and still be down-home country.” But as he reflected more on the character, he saw same of his father — a Vietnam veteran and public bus driver — in Alfred as well.

“My dad was the life of the party, he and my mom would have people over, and everyone wanted to come to their cocktail parties and hang out — I literally always went to school smelling like cigarettes and weed,” Henry said. “Alfred is what my father would have been like if things had veered a different way. I don't think my father would've been a trap lord, but you know, he has his charisma, his charm, and infectious laugh.” He paused, his eyes welling up. “Alfred is my dad!”

06-brian-tyree-henry-2.nocrop.w529.h373.jpg

To play Alfred, Henry also studied how different rappers move, but didn’t want to model him on any one specifically. “The rap scene is so unique,” he explained. “Every rapper has to bring their own thing. You look at Anderson Paak, who is a rapper, but is also a singer; Chance the Rapper, same thing, but he raps and sings at the same time; Lil’ Wayne has his own clothing line, even Donald has his own lane. I had to treat Alfred like an individual, figure out his style.” He focused on developing Alfred’s other traits and habits: Alfred likes to smoke marijuana, play video games, and is as quick with one-liners as he is with his gun. “I’d think about little things like, what sign is Alfred? I decided he’s a Virgo,” he said. “I’d listen to music in my trailer and it’d be jazz or classical opera or the Bee Gees.” Above all, he wanted Alfred to be a relatable, believable character, because it’s a characteristic he associates deeply with hip-hop. “Hip-hop is not about pretense,” he explained,rattling off a poetic list of reasons why: “You can be missing an eye; you can have an ice-cream cone in your face; you can run around with Bantu knots; you can decide to wear gold, all everything. It's not about how you look — it’s about what you say. It's about what message you're getting across.” Glover agreed: “Rapping is just conveying the attitude you have about the situation. Brian did an amazing job of that.”

Henry and Glover had never met until Henry was called in to test with the show creator. Glover said "improv with Brian felt more like hanging out,” and emphasized his professionalism on set. “Some days it was very hot, hot enough to make you sick. Brian and I would be dying from the heat, but as soon as the camera was rolling, it was like it didn’t affect him,” Glover recalled. “I felt cooler just watching him. It’s like he has a switch — he’s able to jump in consciously and convey something that’s unconscious.”

Atlanta director (and Glover’slongtime music video director)HiroMurai said that on paper, Alfred felt like the least accessible of the three main characters, as if he existed mainly as a foil for Earn. But, by the end of the season, Murai predicts, viewers will feel the most for Alfred. “He is the biggest gap between character and actor in all of the cast of Atlanta,” Murai said, “but he really knows this person, and on top of that, he’s someone who has a lot of pathos as a performer. You leave the season really knowing who Alfred is.”

These days, Henry has a painful thread in common with Alfred. In the pilot of Atlanta, Alfred mentions having lost his mother. Henry’s mother, Willow, died in a multi-vehicle accident in Maryland, the day Atlantawrapped production on its first season. Henry remembers his colleagues holding him down when he received the news.

“This is the first time I’ve really understood what the word ‘bittersweet’ means,” Henry said, noting his mother’s absence was heavy on his mind because it was the third “monthaversary” of her death. “We were very close spiritually. We were supposed to go on a road trip this summer and she was going to go with me to the premiere in Atlanta. There are good days and bad days, but I am really riding on the good ones right now. The biggest thing is just trying to hold onto the joy.”

“I was driving down Melrose Avenue the other day and almost crashed my car — there was the Atlanta billboard,” he continued. “I started sobbing.Ma, there it is. There it is. So I just wanna feel that. I’m so proud of this show. If you had told me five years ago that something this great, this cathartic, this therapeutic and fun and great would have fallen my way, I would have said, ‘Nah, no one’s gonna write a show like that.’ So, God bless Donald Glover.”

Jay_from_dade

RawStrippers&Nut N Models
Certified Pussy Poster
I only watched Louis and Wilfred off & on before it was cancelled

How are the other two?

Baskets - Had to grow on me.
But I love you're the worst.

And Wilfred didnt get canceled they had a series finale, where all questions were answered.

GAMBINO

Rising Star
OG Investor
Yo I started watching this shit last night and immediately got hooked. That scene when they were clowning dude for being a tranny lover had me dying!!! Good fucking show I'll be definitely watching this shit.

LSN

Phat booty lover.
BGOL Investor
na I'm just fucking around cuz I basically asked the same thing...it was two 30 min eps presented back to back for the debut

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
The launch of FX’s genre-defying Atlanta, starring its creator Donald Glover, got off to a strong start, early ratings indicate,

generating nearly 1.1M viewers at 10 PM Tuesday, after which a second episode logged 960K viewers. Among 18-49-year-olds, the new series, set in the world of local hip-hop, copped a crowd of 680K and 618K.

These are Live + Same Day stats, which FX dismisses as showing only a sliver of a show’s audience in today’s TV universe.

That said, the initial stats bode well compared to the network’s January premiere of Baskets, co-created by and starring Zach Galifianakis, which logged Live + Same Day 1.04M viewers and 252K in the demo – both of which Atlanta outlapped.

And when Baskets‘ Live +3 numbers came in, it showed the largest three-day lift of any FX comedy series ever in the demo, as well as an overall audience grown to 1.75M, which made it basic cable’s most watched comedy series premier since 2014. Then, Live + 7 stats came in, and Baskets bagged an average of 944,000 adults 18-49 and 1.5 million total viewers during its first three episodes, to remain the most-watched new scripted comedy series on cable in 2016.

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance: