TRON 3 is officially in Development.... Fucking Finally

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
This deserves to be done right. A film that was way before its time.

I would be happy if Disney did the film justice and put out a remastered 4k edition...

It's insane that a Movie that was built to be enjoyed in 4k came out before 4k was a thing.

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
TRON 3: Disney Exec Says “Time Is Right” for the Sequel
By CHARLIE RIDGELY - July 7, 2020 03:06 pm EDT
Tron: Legacy didn't exactly light the world on fire when it was released nearly 10 years ago, but its $400 million global box office haul was more than enough to convince its fans that it deserved a sequel. That sequel never came, but the cult status of the entire Tron franchise has done nothing but grow in the years since. The hype for more Tron has never been higher than it is today, and it appears that all of those patient fans may finally have something to celebrate. The folks at Disney are most definitely looking into a sequel to Tron: Legacy, with many feeling that the time is now right to explore more of the story.

During an appearance on the Light the Fuse podcast, Disney music executive Mitchell Leib opened up about the future of the Tron franchise, having overseen the production of Daft Punk's beloved work on Tron: Legacy. Not only has Leib been talking with the music duo about a sequel, but he also confirmed that there was already a script that Disney really likes. Now with Disney+ alive and thriving, Tron 3 may actually happen.

"Now with Disney+, I think there's opportunities to be creating content that we otherwise wouldn't have been able to create, you know because we're in the movie business," Leib explained. "We're in the big movie business, and unless it's a big movie idea we don't make small movies. We're only after basically billion dollar box office hits. On the one hand, that's great. On the other hand, that's a very narrow sleeve to operate in, and Disney+ I think is going to afford us the opportunity to expand and get much more diversified in the kind of content we can create. And Daft Punk has a bit of a television and movie development company, and all kinds of things they're into, businesses they're into. So I had lunch with Paul Hahn to further a bit of a starting conversation that we're looking at making a sequel to Tron now, we're looking at Tron 3. And we've got a great script, I mean a really phenomenal script that we're very excited about. Whereas the timing wasn't right to have done it years ago, I think we feel like the timing is right now, and I feel like we've learned a lot of lessons from that last movie."

Leib went on to say that one of the most important pieces to the puzzle would be getting Daft Punk on board for another Tron, which is something the group is apparently open to. Disney also seems hopeful that Tron: Legacy director Joseph Kosinski would return to helm the third movie.

"The right and first thing to do is to try and bring Daft Punk and would they want to," he said. "And the answer is they're always open tp anything and everything, but you gotta take it as it comes and see what the circumstances are. We don't even know who would be directing it, I mean we're hopeful Joe Kosinski would come back and do another one."

"A lot of things gotta fall into the right places, but certainly there's an open-mindedness to it," Leib added.

0COMMENTS
So there isn't anything incredibly concrete about these Tron 3 hopes, outside of what seems to be a completed script. That's more than enough to get the ball rolling, though, and Leib's words make it clear that Disney certainly has its eye on exploring more in the world of Tron.

King Mob

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I wonder how long it will be before Disney is shooting and producing in 4k and downsampling for theaters, streaming, etc. Upconversions are not the move.

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
Why get Jared Leto..just continue the story from where Legacy left off

also good luck trying to get Bruce Boxleitner to return

I think Bruce would 100% be down... He has been in basically everything Tron Related since day one.

Dude voiced the animated series... the video games... and a Tron Short film.. that appeared on the Bluray that i can't find for shit
This is the best version that I've found

He also did this shit....

LennyNero1972

Sleeping Deity.
BGOL Investor
Cool beans Tron: Legacy was dope from the FX to the score. I hope they find a way to hook up to the internet that shit would be insane. This was my joint from the score:

CPT Callamity

Titty Feelin Villain
BGOL Investor
I have to revisit Legacy. As a fan of the first with all it's misused terms I think I didn't get pulled in by Legacy at first watch. I always checked to see what they would do with the video games.
Thanks...putting that on my list.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Tron 3: Everything We Know About The Next Movie In This Franchise

Tron 3 is still in the works with Jared Leto on board, but production has stalled.

By RICK GONZALES
| PUBLISHED 1 MONTH AGO

Tron: Legacy was profitable for Disney, profitable enough to justify making Tron 3, but just barely. On a $175 million budget, Tron: Legacy pulled in over $400 million. Not record-setting but not bad either. It wasn’t what Disney had hoped for, given that the Jeff Bridges original 1982 Tron was so beloved and had high fan interest, but it was good enough for Disney to begin work on Tron 3. They even brought in Jared Leto to lead the charge.

So, where are we with Tron 3? Is Leto still preparing for The Grid? Let’s see if we can answer some questions.

JARED LETO SAYS HE IS STILL WORKING ON TRON 3

After a long wait, in March 2022 Screen Rant managed to get an update on Tron 3 from Jared Leto while the actor was doing press for Morbius. Sadly, Leto didn’t offer a lot of solid info other than to say the project hasn’t been forgotten.

He told Screen Rant, “I’m a super fan of Tron, and we are working hard on Tron with our incredible partners at Disney. Just an amazing group of creative people. We’re getting closer. We’re getting closer and closer, and who knows? Something may be [coming] sooner than later.”

But that was back in March. Since that time, neither Leto nor Disney has offered any type of update concerning a possible Tron 3. The closest we have to any type of confirmation is the Tron 3 IMDB page, which still has Tron 3 as happening. In fact, Jared Leto is still attached to the project.

JARED LETO WILL PLAY ARES IN TRON 3

When it was announced that Jared Leto would be part of a new Tron movie, fans were curious as to who he would be playing. In Tron: Legacy, we had Garrett Hedlund playing Sam Flynn while Olivia Wilde was on board as Quorra. But fans didn’t have to wait long to find out just who Leto would be playing as it was also announced that he’d be a new character, Ares.

Ares, you may recall, was actually mentioned in Tron: Legacy as one of the resistance leaders. With Leto taking on that part, it appears the film may be centered on his character. Here is what Leto had to say about his casting in Tron 3.

“I’m struck with such gratitude for the opportunity to bring this movie to life, especially as both the original video game and the film affected me so deeply as a young child. The fact that I get to be a part of this new chapter is mind-blowing. I am so very excited and proud to confirm that YES – I will be starring in Tron. We will work as hard as we possibly can to create something that I hope you all will love. We have some very special ideas in store for you all.”

BEYOND LETO, NO OTHER CASTING DECISIONS HAVE BEEN MADE

With Jared Leto apparently still on board with Tron 3, it brings up the question of who else will be in the film. Both Hedlund and Wilde had been signed on for a sequel back in 2015, but Disney scrapped plans for that film, so their status is now up in the air.

Would we get some version of Jeff Bridges again? What about the original Tron, Bruce Boxleitner? Both stars of the original made an appearance in Tron: Legacy, would they be coming back for the third time? Unfortunately, there is no word on any actors joining Leto for Tron 3.

GARTH DAVIS IS DIRECTING

Garth Davis has been tapped to direct Tron 3. Davis’s credits include the TV series Love My Way, the TV series Top of the Lake, and the features Lion and Mary Magdalene. Davis was passionate about jumping onto the Grid and into the world of Tron and it was this passion that got him the director’s chair. Hopefully, his passion will translate onto the big screen.

David DiGilio wrote an earlier draft of Tron 3 but has since handed off the writing duties to Jesse Wigutow. Not only will Jared Leto appear as Ares, but he is also attached as a producer of the film. Emma Ludbrook and Justin Springer are also on board as producers. At this moment though, there is no release date for Tron 3, though IMDB does have 2025 as a target year for the film.

DAFT PUNK COULD RETURN FOR TRON 3

One of the best things about Tron: Legacy was its incredible soundtrack by Daft Punk. The techno music duo even briefly cameoed in the film. Bringing them back to do the soundtrack for Tron 3 should be a priority, and it seems Disney agrees.

Disney’s President of Music & Soundtracks Mitchell Leib said this on the Light the Fuse podcast about bringing back Daft Punk for Tron 3:

We’re in the big movie business, and unless it’s a big movie idea, we don’t make small movies. We’re only after basically billion-dollar box office hits…Daft Punk has a bit of a television and movie development company, and all kinds of things they’re into, businesses they’re into. So, I had lunch with Paul Hahn to further a bit of a starting conversation that we’re looking at making a sequel to Tron now, we’re looking at Tron 3. And we’ve got a great script, I mean a really phenomenal script that we’re very excited about. Whereas the timing wasn’t right to have done it years ago, I think we feel like the timing is right now, and I feel like we’ve learned a lot of lessons from that last movie.

Obviously, the soundtrack of Tron 3 is important to Disney. Leib continues, “The right and first thing to do is to try and bring Daft Punk, and would they want to. And the answer is they’re always open to anything and everything, but you gotta take it as it comes and see what the circumstances are.”

TRON: ASCENSION WAS THE ORIGINAL TITLE, BUT IT WAS SCRAPPED

For five years following the release of Legacy, Tron: Legacy 2 was on track. Joseph Kosinski (upcoming Top Gun: Maverick), director of Legacy, was set to return for the sci-fi movie sequel, Jesse Wigutow had been hired to write the script, both Heglund and Wilde had signed on to return, and at the time rumor was they had even decided on a title for Tron 3, Tron: Ascension.

But in 2015, the House of Mouse decided to pull the plug on Tron: Ascension. It was a tough call because it was only a few months before production was set to officially begin. It appeared all was lost for a third Tron film

TRON BECAME A CULT CLASSIC IN THE 80s

Back in the early ‘80s, Walt Disney Productions came out with a then ground-breaking movie called Tron. The special effects-heavy film followed brilliant video game maker Kevin Flynn, played by Jeff Bridges, and two associates, Bruce Boxleitner (The Gambler, Kuffs) and Cindy Morgan (Caddyshack), as they are sucked into cyberspace in attempts to prove Flynn’s games are being plagiarized. Seems the Master Control Program (MCP) has become power-hungry and will stop at nothing to keep what it feels is his.

The movie was remarkable on many levels, most notably technical. Rumor had it back then that a second Tron was going to be made but it took nearly 20 years before the rumor became reality. And now here we are talking about Tron 3.

Tron: Legacy is the sequel that followed Kevin Flynn’s son Sam, played by Garrett Hedlund (Friday Night Lights, Mudbound), who is a primary shareholder at ENCOM, the computer company his father worked for before he was sucked into cyberspace. Jeff Bridges returned in his role as Kevin Flynn and also Clu, a more advanced version of Flynn’s original computer-hacking program, more powerful and deadly. Bruce Boxleitner also returned as Alan Bradley and Tron.

The sequel brought aboard Olivia Wilde (Cowboys & Aliens, The Incredible Burt Wonderstone) as Quorra, an iso algorithm that could fight, and Michael Sheen (Prodigal Son, Dolittle) as a flamboyant supermodel program who runs a club at the top of the tallest tower in the system called End of Line Club.