Those interested in learning software development (programming)

Dino Velvet

Potential Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
I been in software quality testing for a while now, plus a half-cocked web entrepreneur and really been looking to make the jump to something else. I just pulled the trigger and signed up for this online Ruby on Rails bootcamp/training program at Tealeaf Academy. I had been talking to the owner all day via email and he was really cool and consistently explained why their course will prepare students for more real-world job experience than any other bootcamp program available, without being too pushy to get me to sign up unless I was really interested.

There a lot of bootcamps out there, most related to Ruby on Rails (a testament to its current popularity and future growth). There are also some free programs and cheaper options such as courses on Udemy or CodeAcademy. I was really looking for a course that would be well-structured and give me a deep understanding of the information, and not just tips and tricks without really knowing what was going on underneath. The problem was that most of these free and cheaper options were so piecemeal or only scratched the service...so outside of following their limited examples, I would still be very limited in what I can do. Sites like Rails for Zombiesand Treehouse were good resources, but still felt like I didn't know where to go from there.

With Tealeaf, the first good thing that sounded good about their program is that they have a refund policy. Don't like it, and they offer 100% money back guarantee. The second is that they take you very deep, not just into the Rails web framework, but also the language it uses. In the first course you actually learn the Ruby language and eventually will build a blackjack game from scratch to understand the logic/syntax. In the second course, you build a Reddit clone and all of the site functionality (blog/commenting system/authentication system/following system). In the third course, you built a building a Netflix clone, that would touch all types of things such as building custom authentication systems, accepting payments and visitor workflows.

Tea Leaf Academy

Their Curriculum:

http://www.gotealeaf.com/curriculum

1st Course: INTRODUCTION TO RUBY AND WEB DEVELOPMENT ($475)
2nd Course: RAPID PROTOTYPING WITH RUBY ON RAILS ($610)
3rd Course: BUILD ROBUST AND PRODUCTION QUALITY APPLICATIONS ($1485)

You can take them individually one at a time when you are ready to proceed, or buy them all at once and you will save $300 with a discount.

The third good thing I found about their course, is teaching Test Driven Development (TDD), which is also very hot right now in many of the job postings, and I didn't find any other course or bootcamp who went that deep into testing using this methodology.

I hope to start in a few days and one good piece of advice the owner gave me, was to start a progress blog to track daily. Just something to keep me motivated, honest and having the ability to later reflect on my grow growth. So I will probably look into that also.

Here are some other good online coding bootcamps I came across:

Bloc.io ($4999) - https://www.bloc.io/web-development

Coding Dojo ($6995) - http://codingdojo.com/

Thinkful ($500 per month, claims most students finish program in around 3 months) - http://www.thinkful.com/

I also plan to increase my Javascript knowledge...I read earlier in the thread that this book was the best. After the 5 chapters, I have to agree 100%:

A Smarter Way to Learn Javascript

http://www.asmarterwaytolearn.com/
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H1W9I6C/?tag=vp314-20

The Amazon reviews on that book speaks for itself. Since I am also eventually interesting in learning about the MEAN Stack framework which uses Javascript completely for front/back end, this book should be useful.

I have to thank the OP for this post. Just a little bit of motivation can go a long way.

I don't expect this shit to be easy, but nothing ventured, nothing gained :cool:

Last edited:

dray

Rising Star
Registered
I've been using Treehouse for the past two weeks and it has helped me out tremendously. I'm currently taking a Css foundations course. I plan to take their introductory Javascript course next.

Dino Velvet

Potential Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
I went ahead and started a "learning to program" blog. I want to update on my progress pretty frequently. I found a pretty cool domain name that works well for the site. Feel free to follow along. I just slapped it together today, but I have about a weeks worth of updates to still post.

My Programming Journey

http://programmingjourney.com/

Last edited:

water

Transparent, tasteless, odorless
OG Investor
I went ahead and started a "learning to program" blog. I want to update on my progress pretty frequently. I found a pretty cool domain name that works well for the site. Feel free to follow along. I just slapped it together today, but I have about a weeks worth of updates to still post.

My Programming Journey

Good stuff Bro.

Great initiative!

:cheers:

water

OG Investor
Just checked out the blog

You made me laugh

"Please feel free to fork the code. See, I’m talking like a developer already."

:lol::lol::lol:

kuu

Rising Star
Registered
Awesome post. I just started online classes for software development. I have a long time until I'm done so this info will be used imeeechaitly.

Peace

Dino Velvet

Potential Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Adding on to the thread...

Here is another really good resource I came across last night for those interesting in programming. Almost kinda like a landing page for different languages and supplemental free material to learn with. I'm using the Learn Ruby the Hard Way as just a backup source of training and it's really good for something that is free.

You can tell this cat is a Samuel L. Jackson fan obviously:

"Become a Programmer, Motherfucker"

http://programming-motherfucker.com/

<br><br>

ShadyPat

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

just watched this video...I m going to look into some programming classes at a community College.

CybaCipha

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Big congrats Bro

Motivation like a mofo

The day we figure out that the software game could be a hustle just like the music game it will be a wrap

:lol:

Some of the realest shit ever said on this board! I been here since 96 - 97 ... so you already know!

Thank you brother Kaya.

HellBoy

Black Cam Girls -> BlackCamZ.Com
Platinum Member

My Programming Journey

Nicely done sir.

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member
bump

It would be cool,if we had a study group for programming...

I would like to help some beginners and have someone who has way experience to help me and etc....:cool:

West Endian

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I've just finished a course in python (beginner's course). Just a start, I know it won't be easy though.

water

OG Investor
bump

It would be cool,if we had a study group for programming...

I would like to help some beginners and have someone who has way experience to help me and etc....:cool:

I've just finished a course in python (beginner's course). Just a start, I know it won't be easy though.

Next up: javascript

It's the future

From front end to back end, write an app in javascript all the way through.

angular.js, node.js

:yes::yes::yes:

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member

It's the future

angular.js, node.js

I will probably get to Javascript til,after I know some of the Date Structures in C++..

I need to get hip to Python also...

So,what you think of the idea I proposed Kay.... :cool:

shootdagift

Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Check this out.

This website has FREE tutorials about 10 mins or less about many different programming topics. Languages include AJAX, C, C#, C++, Java, JavaScript, jQuery, PHP, Objective-C, Python, R, Ruby on the Rails, Visual Basic, and more.

It has other tutorials on software like the Adobe products, UDK, Unity and more.

It also has tuts on math, computer science, and science as well.

I myself am on the Java tuts right now. I found them easy to follow. This guy speaks average Joe speak as opposed to ultra-geek speak. I am also reading Sam's Teach yourself Java in 21 days. I recommend getting a book to read with these tuts because he isn't in depth with his teaching so you will need the the official tech stuff from a book. But a book makes the tuts easier to follow and vice versa. You may not need both especially if you know a language already.

A lot of these tutorials are available on torrentz.

Enjoy!

https://buckysroom.org/videos.php

http://www.bgol.us/board/showthread.php?t=813178

water

OG Investor
I will probably get to Javascript til,after I know some of the Date Structures in C++..

I need to get hip to Python also...

So,what you think of the idea I proposed Kay.... :cool:

A study group works great.

However a project to hack on works even better!

It's just based on the skill level of the group

Maybe host a separate thread for each language over on the education board.

I do know we need to get in and stay in the development game

My advice would be get some basics of a framework under your belt and go hack a project together.

Learning C, C++, python etc works if you want to go work for a corporation.

If you are thinking about doing your own startup then go either:
1. ruby on rails
2. full javascript (node.js for back end and angular.js for front end)

In addition if you learn best by doing, check out firebase.com, they provide the backend, all you do is the front end (e.g. in angular.js)

:yes:

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member
A study group works great.

However a project to hack on works even better!

It's just based on the skill level of the group

Maybe host a separate thread for each language over on the education board.

I do know we need to get in and stay in the development game

My advice would be get some basics of a framework under your belt and go hack a project together.

Learning C, C++, python etc works if you want to go work for a corporation.

If you are thinking about doing your own startup then go either:
1. ruby on rails
2. full javascript (node.js for back end and angular.js for front end)

In addition if you learn best by doing, check out firebase.com, they provide the backend, all you do is the front end (e.g. in angular.js)

:yes:

I want to be in the game industry and most game companies that's in the console business use C++ or C,and whenever I know the ins and outs of the business I want to start my own game company...I even started working on a logo,for it..:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I will definitely checkout that website though....:cool:

water

OG Investor
I want to be in the game industry and most game companies that's in the console business use C++ or C,and whenever I know the ins and outs of the business I want to start my own game company...I even started working on a logo,for it..:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I will definitely checkout that website though....:cool:

You said you want to be "in" the game industry?

In what capacity?

A game programmer in an existing company?

A game programmer for yourself?

What specific skills would you bring to gaming?

:cool:

dray

Rising Star
Registered

It's the future

angular.js, node.js

Didn't know an app could be written in Javascript. I thought they were created in C & C++.

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member
You said you want to be "in" the game industry?

In what capacity?

A game programmer in an existing company?

A game programmer for yourself?

What specific skills would you bring to gaming?

I want to get into the designing side of it(who looks over the game mechanics,art and etc),but there are some game designers who does some programming...

I actually made a simple riddle game,after I graduated,a few years ago....

water

OG Investor
Didn't know an app could be written in Javascript. I thought they were created in C & C++.

I think you are thinking about mobile apps.

For IOS, native apps are written in Objective C

For Android, native apps are written in java

For cross-platform mobile apps, they are written in HTML5 and javascript

For web apps, they are written in HTML5 and javascript

For those listed above to work, you need to hook it up to some back-end i.e. where you store data, do your authentication etc...

So it's either you learn a backend framework or get someone else to do it for you.

Along comes javascript in the backend i.e. node.js

So now you could learn javascript and work on both frontend and backend

Then along came BaaS i.e Backend as a Service
e.g.
firebase.com
parse.com (acquired by facebook)

So now all you have to do is focus on the frontend

Check this out: http://www.20thingsilearned.com/en-US/home

:D

water

OG Investor
I want to get into the designing side of it(who looks over the game mechanics,art and etc),but there are some game designers who does some programming...

I actually made a simple riddle game,after I graduated,a few years ago....

Design, cool

You may want to look into wireframing tools as well e.g. balsamiq

Look into CSS Sprites, http://webdesign.tutsplus.com/artic...ools-and-helpful-applications--webdesign-8340

There is also a sprite database that contains a lot of images etc ripped from 2D games http://spritedatabase.net/tutorial

javascript is going to be your friend for animations etc....

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
I just came up on the Tutsplus and Lynda Java course videos(I am also checking out Udemy). Good number of books too(from the for dummies shit to other approaches). I'll be damned if I don't get it down. I even play those shits in the background while I'm sleep. I'm dreaming the shit.

As for my practice, I'll just plan on taking ideas of freelance job boards and developing them on my own(they usually announce what they want done publicly). Nice places to get ideas instead of racking your brain for your own. Fuck'em. LOL Seems like a nice way to build a portfolio of projects while getting much-needed practice.

water

OG Investor
I just came up on the Tutsplus and Lynda Java course videos(I am also checking out Udemy). Good number of books too(from the for dummies shit to other approaches). I'll be damned if I don't get it down. I even play those shits in the background while I'm sleep. I'm dreaming the shit.

As for my practice, I'll just plan on taking ideas off freelance job boards and developing them on my own(they usually announce what they want done publicly). Nice places to get ideas instead of racking your brain for your own. Fuck'em. LOL Seems like a nice way to build a portfolio of projects while getting much-needed practice.

I didn't even think of that shit