Those Damn Guns Again

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
17927_3579276340076_240882449_n.jpg

18217_574709952554520_1865786113_n.jpg

156272_10152342296115434_324676614_n.jpg

Ann Marquez-Greene, 7 years old. She is the 1st victim to be identified sources said. 7 years old!!!

Ruff Ryder

Robotix
Registered
If a few of the faculty had concealed weapons the psycho could have been put down.

Criminals don't give a shit about gun control.

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Lets see, they said the shooter had a Sig Sauer and a Glock.

Sig Sauer: Germany

Glock: Austria

If they make guns illegal it will create a huge black market.

I'm here in the ATL. Glock USA is down the street from where I worked.

Get rid of the gun show loophole and reinstate the Brady law!

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Once he killed his mother he became a criminal, intent is something we will never know.

If captured alive he may have been deemed criminally insane.

True, but before he killed his mom, was he a criminal ??? More to the point, for the shooters whose records are otherwise clear prior to the shoot, are they criminals ???

Greed

Star
Registered
Is a mentally distrubed shooter a criminal before, or after the shoot :confused:
I think the idea should be someone mentally disturbed is less a criminal and more psychologically inadequate to enjoy the same rights as an average citizens. It should be the same logic we use to legally separate a 17 year old from an 18 year old. There are also legal exceptions where 17 is considered and adult and the same principles could apply.

Overall with this, the anti-gun people have no credibility applying current gun control measures, so they don't get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to anything new.

That's why they "can't let a crisis go to waste." They take advantage of emotions with "think of the children" arguments when something like this happen. Like ending the gun show loophole. I think it should also be closed, but what does that have to do with Connecticut?

QueEx

Rising Star
Super Moderator
I think the idea should be someone mentally disturbed is less a criminal and more psychologically inadequate to enjoy the same rights as an average citizens. It should be the same logic we use to legally separate a 17 year old from an 18 year old. There are also legal exceptions where 17 is considered and adult and the same principles could apply.

I think this idea is a start in the right direction.

Overall with this, the anti-gun people have no credibility applying current gun control measures, so they don't get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to anything new.

Seriously, I don't understand the point with this.

That's why they [the anti-gun people?] "can't let a crisis go to waste." They take advantage of emotions with "think of the children" arguments when something like this happen. Like ending the gun show loophole. I think it should also be closed, but what does that have to do with Connecticut?
If there were no problems, there would be no need to consider solutions. If there is problem and one sees/perceives it, is that the time to remain silent?

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

That's why they "can't let a crisis go to waste." They take advantage of emotions with "think of the children" arguments when something like this happen. Like ending the gun show loophole. I think it should also be closed, but what does that have to do with Connecticut?

That's why they "can't let a crisis go to waste."

Nice right wing talking point, blame the messenger.

32 killed at Virgina tech
12 killed at Aurora, Colorado
6 at Wisconsin Sikh Temple
27 at a Connecticut Elementary School.
Thousand killed every year in US cities.

When are we going to not let a crisis go to waste?

Ruff Ryder

Robotix
Registered
With a silly video?

C'mon bruh, I posted that video in response to a statement not a question.

I'm game to debate 2nd amendment rights all day.

Did you know that since the shooting in Newtown there have been 10 shootings in the city of Chicago and Chicago has some of the toughest gun control laws in the country.

128774870565830083_gxpndz8q_c.jpg

Greed

Star
Registered
I think this idea is a start in the right direction.
That would require addressing what one of the articles you posted above mentioned. A basic revamp of medical privacy for mental illness to address public safety. We can agree it needs to be addressed, but probably disagree on whether it will be addressed well even if bipartisanship consensus is achieved.

Seriously, I don't understand the point with this.
Despite the anti-gun marketing, the average person does not have practical low-cost access to a gun. There may be one gun for every person in this country, but gun enthusiast often have more than one gun. Like the mother of CT shooter apparently had three guns in the house.

Like in Chicago, until last year it was basically against the law for a resident to own a gun. That didn't affect gun violence. Gun control people have already had their way in multiple areas in this country. Gun violence was still rampant. So when they offer up something new and promote they have the solution, they have no credibility.

If there were no problems, there would be no need to consider solutions. If there is problem and one sees/perceives it, is that the time to remain silent?
Solutions should be connected with the problem. If not, then its just rampant emotional rhetoric. Addressing mental health of individuals, accountability of guardians of those individuals, and school security were the problems identified so far. Shouldn't the credible solutions address those issues?

The problem wasn't that the guns were bought legally, the issue was someone who the family, and maybe a professional, identified as mentally unstable had access to those guns.

Greed

Star
Registered

Did you know that since the shooting in Newtown there have been 10 shootings in the city of Chicago and Chicago has some of the toughest gun control laws in the country.

Those Chicago people were black so no one gives a shit. Putting up a blond white face is much more effective than a 7 year old black face.

Greed

Star
Registered

Those Chicago people were black so no one gives a shit. Putting up a blond white face is much more effective than a 7 year old black face.

Greed

Star
Registered
Nice right wing talking point, blame the messenger.

32 killed at Virgina tech
12 killed at Aurora, Colorado
6 at Wisconsin Sikh Temple
27 at a Connecticut Elementary School.
Thousand killed every year in US cities.

When are we going to not let a crisis go to waste?
Just like on your list, you and society have also put urban violence last because it's mostly black lives. That's also the priority to think about it and solve it, which is why you lumped gang violence with the random targeting of these mass killings.

What solution do you propose that effectively addresses the mentally ill issues of the Colorado shooter and the social, economic, and political issues of a gang member?

bigmally26

Support BGOL
Registered
What needs to happen is we hold these gun manufacturers and gun shops more accountable. The problem with all of this is that legal guns are put in the street and resold illegally. There are way too many loopholes for gun shops to sell guns to people who should not possess them. I hate the fact that in America people get so upset when we talk about gun laws but fail to realize that these gun laws were written at a time when it took a minute to reload for one shot. I highly doubt our forefathers would have written laws giving everyone the right to own guns with the creation of today's weapons. I'm not for the ban of all guns, but we really need to look at semi and automatic weapons. There is no need for a civilian to have the ability to shoot that many rounds in such a short time.

The other argument regarding strict gun laws and how crime is up in areas where there is strict gun laws, is completely skewed. No one mentions that these areas are heavily populated with young black and Hispanic youth who of which are involved in gang activity. These acts of violence. while wrong and completely uncalled for, all have specialized targets.

Guns laws would work if we focus on stopping legal guns from becoming illegal. That starts with guns shops and trade shows.

bigmally26

Support BGOL
Registered
What needs to happen is we hold these gun manufacturers and gun shops more accountable. The problem with all of this is that legal guns are put in the street and resold illegally. There are way too many loopholes for gun shops to sell guns to people who should not possess them. I hate the fact that in America people get so upset when we talk about gun laws but fail to realize that these gun laws were written at a time when it took a minute to reload for one shot. I highly doubt our forefathers would have written laws giving everyone the right to own guns with the creation of today's weapons. I'm not for the ban of all guns, but we really need to look at semi and automatic weapons. There is no need for a civilian to have the ability to shoot that many rounds in such a short time.

The other argument regarding strict gun laws and how crime is up in areas where there is strict gun laws, is completely skewed. No one mentions that these areas are heavily populated with young black and Hispanic youth who of which are involved in gang activity. These acts of violence. while wrong and completely uncalled for, all have specialized targets.

Guns laws would work if we focus on stopping legal guns from becoming illegal. That starts with guns shops and trade shows.

Ruff Ryder

Robotix
Registered
What needs to happen is we hold these gun manufacturers and gun shops more accountable.

So are we gonna hold auto manufacturers liable for vehicular homicide?

Are we gonna hold liquor manufacturers liable for drunk driving?

How is the so-called 'Drug War' working out?

The individual should be held responsible for their actions, I'm a U.S. Marine and I have some wicked firearms but I also exercise self discipline and common sense.

America does not have a gun control problem, it has a crime control problem.

Greed

Star
Registered

And if I say it starts with the first person who bought the gun legally and not with the gun manufacturer or shop, how does that affect accountability?

In Illinois, an individual has to certify yearly the state of his registered weapon, and if it's still in his possession. That seems much more reasonable than asking Smith and Wesson to do it. If every state was federally mandated to conduct that certification, then that would be a proper instance of gun-control while not targeting ownership, but that still wouldn't address what happen in Colorado or Connecticut.

You logic is proper if guns are illegal. Can you name another medium used to hurt someone and the manufacturer in addition to the person committing the act is held accountable?

Overall, I'm not worried about any weapon in the hands of responsible person.

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

And I bet those guns were purchased at gun shows. Eliminate the gun show loophole and reinstate the Brady law.

thoughtone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Just like on your list, you and society have also put urban violence last because it's mostly black lives. That's also the priority to think about it and solve it, which is why you lumped gang violence with the random targeting of these mass killings.

What solution do you propose that effectively addresses the mentally ill issues of the Colorado shooter and the social, economic, and political issues of a gang member?

Mental illness is being used as an excuse to deflect the gun issue. Black folk are my priority. There was at least one black girl killed. If you are killed by a "sane" or an "insane" person, you are still dead. Was Zimmerman insane? Talk about your concern for Black lives. You seem to care less about Trayvon's life and more about Zimmerman's gun rights.

Sometimes you sicken me with your idiotic agreements.

Ruff Ryder

Robotix
Registered
Fact: Washington D.C. has essentially banned gun ownership since 1976 and has a murder rate of 56.9 per 100,000. Across the river in Arlington, Virginia, gun ownership is less restricted.

There, the murder rate is just 1.6 per 100,000, less than three percent of the Washington, D.C.