The Weeknd has sold his music catalog for $1 BILLION in a new unique deal.

jawnswoop

It's A Philly Thing
BGOL Investor

The Weeknd has sold his music catalog for $1 BILLION in a new unique deal.Abel Tesfaye and Lyric Capital Group have closed a deal forming a business venture together wherein Lyric has INVESTED in the his music catalog from inception through 2025. (The deal excludes any future music)
 
He performed solo at the SuperBowl

Wow! That's actually amazing.
I can only see the likes of MJ, Beyoncé, Prince, and Whitney commanding that kind of pop-cultural demand.

Good for him!
Hope he stays away from the Beckies.
 
If true I congratulate him but.........

giphy.gif
 
A billion dollars and you niggas hand ringing saying its a bad deal.. (waits on somebody to tell me a Billy ain't a lot of money)

On top of that the deal excludes any new music and he can still tour and sell out stadiums.. he just got paid!
 
Last edited:
A billion dollars and you niggas hand ringing saying its a bad deal.. (waits on somebody to tell me a Billy ain't a lot of money)

On top of that the deal excludes any new music and he can still tour and sell out stadiums.. he just got paid!
Remember when they offered Zuckerberg $1 billion for Facebook? If he had accepted that deal 20 years ago, he would have looked foolish today.

I understand that these are two different situations, but I’m curious to know the estimated value of his catalog in 10 or 15 years.
 
I don't know I'm still calling bullshit.

Michael Jackson's catalog was valued at $1.2 billion when 50% was sold to Sony in 2024 and the estate was paid $600 million.

The Weeknd's success isn't even close by any measure so I can't see how this is accurate.

Also, if this is a $250 million dollar "loan" against his catolog that doesn't sound like a won IMO.
 
These valuations of artists catolog and the numbers they're coiming up with reminds me of what happened in real estate prior to 2008 when companies (and banks) were inflating the value of real estate and selling properties far over their actual value which obviously caused a financial crisis.

I hope that isn't what's happening here.
 
Back
Top