The Time, "what Time Is It", Greatest Funk Album All Time?

TB1996

Star
Registered
I KNOW, I KNOW, PARLIAMENT FUNKADELIC PUT SOME SHIT OUT, WHICH IS WHY I ASKED THE QUESTION, IS THIS THE GREATEST FUNK ALBUM OF ALL TIME? WELL, IF ITS NOT, ITS UP THERE. THE SECOND TIME ALBUM, AGAIN, WRITTEN, PRODUCED AND PERFORMED BY PRINCE WITH VOCAL OVERDUBS BY MORRIS DAY, IS ONE OF THE BEST FUNK ALBUMS IVE EVER HEARD. THE ALBUM WAS SOO GOOD, THE TIME'S DANCE MOVES SOO TIGHT, THAT THIS LEAD TO THE ULTIMATE TRUTHS PLAYED OUT IN THE FUTURE PURPLE RAIN FEUD BETWEEN PRINCE AND THE TIME, HIS FRANKENSTEIN CREATION.

THE MUSIC, INCORPORATING FUNK, ROCK AND POP IN A WAY ONLY PRINCE COULD DO, TOOK FUNK IN A DIFFERENT DIRECTION THAN GEORGE CLINTON. BOTH STYLES FEATURE HEAVY LEAD GUITAR RIFFS, PRINCE FOCUSING LESS ON QUIRKY VOCAL ARRANGEMENTS THAN GEORGE AND CONCENTRATING MORE ON THE RHYTHM OF THE MUSIC. A INSTANT CLASSIC AND TO THIS DAY, SHITS ON MOST ANY MUSIC PLAYED ON BLACK RADIO:

2gw9our.jpg

2cnzjo8.jpg

TRACK LISTING"
SIDE ONE
1. WILD AND LOOSE
2. 777-9311
3. ONEDAYIMGONNABESOMEBODY

SIDE TWO
1. THE WALK
2. GIGOLOS GET LONELY TOO
3. I DONT WANNA LEAVE YOU

DOWNLOAD:
http://www.badongo.com/file/8148928

Last edited:

TEN

Tensei - Admin
Staff member
No it's definetly not. Parliament are too hard to beat when it comes to funky albums.
Only James Brown himself could possibly be funkier, In My Funky Opinion.

However as Funk is so obviously a missing ingredient from todays R&B/HipHop/Dance,
then post's like this talking about Funk are to be encouraged and applauded.

God bless The Time for the Funk and for giving us Jam and Lewis.

I pledge allegiance to the Funk the whole Funk and nothing but the Funk.

bwb

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I've been trying to find this album all day:

This shit goes in.

The 'maggot brain' album by funkadelic is pretty fly, that first song has one of the best guitar solos ever... it's from early in the funk era so you can hear the roots of the movement, and see how their sound transformed into the funk we became familiar with during the mid to 70s.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PFCMLEOY

GULLAH JACK

D.R.O.P. SQUAD General
BGOL Investor
I love Prince's music and anything that he touches....but NO.
With P-Funk (and all of it's associates), Prince himself, James Brown, Larry Graham, Ohio Players and such...that album MIGHT be in my top 75 funkiest

mylife134

Support BGOL
Registered
do anybody have a mega link for these albums
PARLET-Brides of Funkenstein and------parlet-"Invasion of booty snatchers"-----

Last edited:

ScottyPiffen745

BGOL CSI: Connoisseur of Sluts on Instagram™
Registered
No it's definetly not. Parliament are too hard to beat when it comes to funky albums.
Only James Brown himself could possibly be funkier, In My Funky Opinion.

However as Funk is so obviously a missing ingredient from todays R&B/HipHop/Dance,
then post's like this talking about Funk are to be encouraged and applauded.

God bless The Time for the Funk and for giving us Jam and Lewis.

I pledge allegiance to the Funk the whole Funk and nothing but the Funk.

Co-sign, I need more Funk in my life, I just don't want no regular funk either, I want the super duper stanky cream of the crop funk, somebody drop some gems!!! I'm ready to go to school

HAR125LEM

Rising Star
Platinum Member
This one is way easier to reply to than that "HEY JUDE" thread.

HELL NO!!!

"WHAT TIME IS IT" is Pop-Funk if anything.
More synths than bass.
Lyrics fun, but not very deep.

SmoothD

Smooth*****
BGOL Investor
I consider this the greatest funk album of all time. The bassline, the horn section (along with a bicycle horn) and the 2 guitar solos have yet to be duplicated ;)
SlaveTMB.jpg

OnnaReal

Support BGOL
Registered
TEN hit it just right!

Time is nice, but definitely not the greatest.

Along with JB, SLY!, and the usual suspects many have posted, I would include Herbie Hancock [Headhunters era and before], Miles [On The Corner, BITCHES BREW!], JIMI, The Meters, and many more that crossed blues, jazz, soul and rock to funk thangs up like Weather Report, Chick Corea and Billy Cobham to name just a few.

If you ain't got these artists in your funk, you ain't funkin' at all!

God make me funky!

misterX

Star
BGOL Investor
You can't have this convo and leave out Bootsy Collins and his Rubber Band! Bootsy was the father of Funk not JB. JB was the Godfather and King of Soul.

Last edited:

roots69

Rising Star
Registered
:hmm:...nah...during the funk era, they had too many groups puttin out good music..the time came in during the end of the funk era..they were good, but not the greatest..however, jimmy jam and terry lewis put out some good music during the 80's and 90's

Brother Blues

Deceased - Nov. 4, 2015
BGOL Legend
Top 100....comparing P-Funk and the Time??

That's like comparing Harold Minor to Michael Jordan...yeah,they both could dunk...

woodchuck

A crowd pleasing man.
OG Investor
Top 100....comparing P-Funk and the Time??

That's like comparing Harold Minor to Michael Jordan...yeah,they both could dunk...

Stolen!! :cool::yes: Spot on, Blues! Besides, even though I'm a HUGE fan of The time, this album isn't even in the same zip code as Pleasure's "Future Now" album.