The power of intermittent fasting

pookie

Thinking of a Master Plan
BGOL Investor
I'm 6'2" 248 lbs. and I been trying to lose this stomach for a few years. I want to be 220 lbs or less.

I'ma try this

It’s hard as hell to lose stomach fat, i workout 4-5 days a week but had started overeating and as they say you can’t outwork a bad diet. Since i workout alot, at 237 i had muscle mass everywhere BUT my stomach area, when i was going down to 206 i was losing muscle mass first and the last thing i lost was my belly fat. At 206 my stomach was flat and you could see ab muscles at the top but there was still a small layer of belly fat covering the lower abs

pookie

Thinking of a Master Plan
BGOL Investor
Remeber folks....you ARE allowed to drink water during these fasting periods....we don t want folks being dehydrated during these cycles

water is your best friend during a fast/diet; water not only gives your stomach the feeling that there’s something in it but because it also keeps your body really hydrated your body and mind won’t start feeling the effects of lack of food, which then starts to give you those weak and lightheaded feelings that make you go and eat something. Once you get your BRAIN on board everything becomes easy but getting your brain on board and keeping it their is the hard part that many people can’t overcome

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Stevia and splenda are ok but no more than 1 packet.
They dont have calories so they dont spike your glucose response.
However try to go without it completely at least for 12 hours.
Next 4 you can have stevia in your drink.

My issue is the damn GAS. The bloating.

Question - for thoughts that drink hot tea, can you use stevia??

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Ok. So I am looking at eating between 12-8pm. I usually get to work around 730 and will drink coffee in the morning. So now since I am doing this, I can only drink water and tea with no stevia until 12?

havelcok

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Ok. So I am looking at eating between 12-8pm. I usually get to work around 730 and will drink coffee in the morning. So now since I am doing this, I can only drink water and tea with no stevia until 12?

less than 50 calories is ok

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Edit this. You mean pass out! Not "passed".

I hit the weight bench at home and do 7 reps of 10 with 115 lb. also but I really feel the effects of the at work weight work in my obliques[/QUOTE]
I had a diabetic friend who did this and dropped over 60 lbs. Then one morning his blood sugar dropped and he passed in his living room. He could’ve died but his wife came home from work 8 hours later and managed to get him to the hospital. I’ve been wary of IF ever since.

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
See. This is what I was trying to avoid happening. Less than 50 calories isn't really fasting and you "break" it and will not get the full effects.
I dont recommend you tell people that. They really should not be having ANY calories. The HGH benefits happen with no calories.
If you have a splash of almond milk in your tea or coffee it is low calorie but you aren't fasting. You are just having a low calorie diet.

VAiz4hustlaz

Proud ADOS and not afraid to step to da mic!
BGOL Investor
See. This is what I was trying to avoid happening. Less than 50 calories isn't really fasting and you "break" it and will not get the full effects.
I dont recommend you tell people that. They really should not be having ANY calories. The HGH benefits happen with no calories.
If you have a splash of almond milk in your tea or coffee it is low calorie but you aren't fasting. You are just having a low calorie diet.

But this is primarily done to lose weight, right? Or is there a relationship between HGH and weight loss?

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Honestly. I am trying to help you out. You should not have anything to spike your blood sugar for the entire fasting period.
That is why only black coffee and black tea and water are the only things you can drink. As they do not have an affect on blood sugar.
(Coffee has about 5-15 calories. Tea is <5 calories)

You dont want to be kicked out of Ketosis.
If you are diabetic you need to watch it cause you can get really low blood sugar levels.
Fast as much as possible. That is why I said 12 hours. You should be able to do 12 hours cause if you sleep for 8 hours you can drink water for 4 hours.

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
High HGH helps you keep muscle. If you work out even better it is like taking steroids!!
Losing weight? Eat a low calorie diet! If you aint fasting correctly you just skipping a meal.
That aint what you really wanna do.
You wanna get the full affects of fasting.

But this is primarily done to lose weight, right? Or is there a relationship between HGH and weight loss?

WorldEX

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It’s hard as hell to lose stomach fat, i workout 4-5 days a week but had started overeating and as they say you can’t outwork a bad diet. Since i workout alot, at 237 i had muscle mass everywhere BUT my stomach area, when i was going down to 206 i was losing muscle mass first and the last thing i lost was my belly fat. At 206 my stomach was flat and you could see ab muscles at the top but there was still a small layer of belly fat covering the lower abs
I'm 6'3" 237.5 need to loose my belly fat as well. I'm on day#2 doing 16-8. Feels damn good!

ScottyPiffen745

BGOL CSI: Connoisseur of Sluts on Instagram™
BGOL Investor

No it's not. It defeats the purpose.

Fasting is 0 calories, period.

The purpose of fasting is to make your body burn fat for energy. You eating ANY calories is giving your body energy and your body responds like "oh I don't have to go into my fat stash for energy, food is coming" and it stops burning fat.

Flat out, you can drink plain water, plain green tea, or plain black coffee. Pretty much anything else, including stevia sweetened drinks is probably raising your insulin levels, which is again, counter-productive. It breaks your fast.

The point is to keep your insulin levels normal so that your body burns fat for energy, instead of going off of spikes of insulin. If your insulin levels are high, it's hard for your body to burn fat.

Last edited:

d-weezy

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Thanks for all the information in this thread.

I've been fat/overweight my entire life and somehow I never had the related health issues (diabetes, high blood pressure, etc) eventhough it runs on my mother's side of the family and I guess that's why I never really took things like this serious, but in getting old I know that it's getting easier and easier to have those things come to me.

This thread is motivation to really be serious about thinking about my health in my 60s,70s, 80s by finally putting in the work in my mid 30s (Turned 34 on January 22).

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor

I've been fat/overweight my entire life and somehow I never had the related health issues (diabetes, high blood pressure, etc) eventhough it runs on my mother's side of the family and I guess that's why I never really took things like this serious, but in getting old I know that it's getting easier and easier to have those things come to me.

This thread is motivation to really be serious about thinking about my health in my 60s,70s, 80s by finally putting in the work in my mid 30s (Turned 34 on January 22).
yeah man. get that weight down before its too late. start now and just focus on how you will look and feel a year from now. Stay motivated.

ScottyPiffen745

BGOL Investor

The sooner you get started, the better. It only gets harder as you get older. That's when you really start feeling all the damage you've been slowly doing to your bones and organs over the years.

code_pirahna

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

There is controversy about whether these artificial sweetners cause insulin to be released. If insulin is released BY THE PANCREAS then you are defeating the purpose although there will be nothing to store but you may not be burning fat though

spider705

Light skin, non ADOS Lebron hater!
BGOL Investor
They do. Briefly spikes your insulin levels, therefore breaks your fast.

This dude mentioned it in this video (I marked it), he gets into the scientifics and shit:

Yeah I ended up reading ANYTHING that triggers an insulin response breaks a fast.

With aminos it's a very small response but a response nonetheless. So I just stick to water.

VAiz4hustlaz

Proud ADOS and not afraid to step to da mic!
BGOL Investor
Honestly. I am trying to help you out. You should not have anything to spike your blood sugar for the entire fasting period.
That is why only black coffee and black tea and water are the only things you can drink. As they do not have an affect on blood sugar.
(Coffee has about 5-15 calories. Tea is <5 calories)

You dont want to be kicked out of Ketosis.
If you are diabetic you need to watch it cause you can get really low blood sugar levels.
Fast as much as possible. That is why I said 12 hours. You should be able to do 12 hours cause if you sleep for 8 hours you can drink water for 4 hours.

But IF and a ketogenic diet aren't the same thing. You can do IF without being low-carb, although it may not be as effective.

gw1933

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
For those having trouble starting out, get a jug of water and take it to the head and guzzle. Sounds weird, but in a few minutes you will be full as shit....

Whenever you get a slight hunger craving throw the water back and guzzle.

If you let your hunger craving go on for too long you will say "fuck it" and break the fast in most cases.

Just an observation I made.

ScottyPiffen745

BGOL Investor
Yeah, water is definitely key.

I did my first 20-4 fast today at work. Went great. Between downing 7 16.9 oz bottles of good water, 1 an hour, I didn't get hungry until I ran out of water near the end of the day, and I just thugged it out the last two hours. Got home, had another bottle as I worked out before I broke my fast with veggies on my 21st hour.

Tired as hell, but I can do this. I'm sleeping good tonight.

darth frosty

Dark Lord of the Sith
BGOL Investor
Yaw pray for me...

Today's fat Tuesday packzi day here in Detroit everybody brings in packzi (high calorie/fat jelly donuts)

I don't even like jelly donuts but it's liklia rite

kinfolk

Star
BGOL Investor
I was doing IF about a year ago and was getting results but fell off, this thread got me back on it. Thanks.

But anyone ever have trouble sleeping while doing IF? Not because you are hungry but just a general restlessness. Last meal at 9, hit the bed between 12a -1a and Im wide awake for another 2-3 hours. Even though I only been getting 4-5 hours of sleep Im not tired but probably cant keep that up. Just wondering if its part of the adjustment period.

CoTtOnMoUf

DUMBED DOWN TO BLEND IN
BGOL Legend
I'm 6'3" 237.5 need to loose my belly fat as well. I'm on day#2 doing 16-8. Feels damn good!

Good work!

Stay with it as it becomes easier.

There is a hormone that is secreted every time you eat called ghrelin and ghrelin tells your brain that your hungry.

As you fast more and more, your ghrelin levels subsides and your hunger pangs will be less and less.

And after a while, hunger is something you can just laugh at.

So, stay with it because it just gets easier and easier to do this!

I'm only speaking from MY experience over the past 5 years of IF. :cool: