The Official Book Thread: What You Reading?

oh snap

Potential Star
Registered
Just finished up The Secret Life of Bees. It was a good read, which is why I won't touch the movie.

Cleopatra_J

I am the Ideal
BGOL Investor
So, I got 3 books @ Barnes & Noble today ...

. 1. Jim Butcher - Storm Front - book 1 of the Dresden files (at the recommendation of Noir)

2. New Moon - book 2 of the Twilight Saga ( for research purposes!)

3. Eric Jerome Dickey's latest: Resurrecting Midnight - ...book 4 of the Gideon series .. I HAD to get that one, bcuz I've been an EJD fan since forever ..

I put back A Clockwork Orange & Kite Runner for the next shopping excursion.

Now.. idk what to start first, lol

melonpecan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Yeah...

jk :D

Just finished Diablerie by Walter Mosley; e-militants might start an uproar. Been reading a collection of Sherlock Holmes stories for a while now. RD,Jr. seems like a good pic for the movie.

owl

BGOL Investor
30u2yhe.jpg

2mywaap.jpg

v58qck.jpg

21ozp6u.jpg

Plus all these *&!* books I have to read for class, and these papers and articles for research...I need a drink...

Hey, if anyone feels like scanning and uploading that "Midnight", I'd be willing to scan and upload a book for them...thanks in advance...

Noir

Support BGOL
Registered
So, I got 3 books @ Barnes & Noble today ...

. 1. Jim Butcher - Storm Front - book 1 of the Dresden files (at the recommendation of Noir)

3. Eric Jerome Dickey's latest: Resurrecting Midnight - ...book 4 of the Gideon series .. I HAD to get that one, bcuz I've been an EJD fan since forever ..

I put back A Clockwork Orange & Kite Runner for the next shopping excursion.

Now.. idk what to start first, lol

Well, you know what I'd recommend - LOL

Haven't been reading anything for the past few weeks (I have been driving back and forth to work with the city vehicle while my boss is on vacation), but will be cracking this open starting this week and recommend it to Cleo as well...

MeanStreets.jpg

Description
The best paranormal private investigators have been brought together in a single volume—and cases don’t come any harder than this.

New York Times bestselling author Jim Butcher delivers a hard-boiled tale in which Harry Dresden’s latest case may be his last.

Nightside dweller John Taylor is hired by a woman to find something she lost—her memory—in a thrilling noir tale from New York Times bestselling author Simon R. Green.

National bestselling author Kat Richardson’s Greywalker finds herself in too deep when a “simple job” goes bad and Harper Blaine is enmeshed in a tangle of dark secrets and revenge from beyond the grave.

For centuries, the being that we know as Noah lived among us. Now he is dead, and fallen-angel-turned-detective Remy Chandler has been hired to find out who killed him in a whodunit by national bestselling author Thomas E. Sniegoski.

I need to find some more reading material. I have run out of good hard-boiled mysteries, though I have just discovered Ed McBain's 87th precinct police procedural series...

melonpecan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I totally forgot about this thread :(

I just finished reading "Killing Johnny Fry" but Walter Mosley.
If any of you ladies have read it I'd like to get your ideas about the issues raised in this book. It was a very interesting book to say the least.

I haven't read this but I will put it on my list

I read it a few months back.

Oh my goodness, for the rest of you men, if you can make it through this book to the end I applaud you.

It's in Mosley's entries into erotica which usually have to do with white women and black men finding themselves. That's all good and dandy but some of the sexual acts in this book made me cringe. That doesn't take away from the fact that the book isn't good, because it is. Sex aside his revelations, journey, and the actual killing of Johnny Fry makes for a good story. Sometimes I have to actually wonder if there are men out there that engage in such sexual acts...cause they need help.

I'd recommend it if nothing but for shock value, but Mosley does a good job. He puts in some sex with his mysteries too; I think those make a better mix. Substance plus some sex instead of sex sprinkled with substance. I think this was his second ploy in erotica so I hope by the time he gets to number 3 I think it might be a bit more balanced.

HoneyDewWop

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
I'm currently reading Freakonomics by Levitt & Dubner. Excellent read so far. I'm about to begin studying for the CPA exam so I know all other recreational reading will take a back seat for the next 18 months.

I've been meaning to pick up Covey's 7 Habits for Highly Effective People.

Cleopatra_J

I am the Ideal
BGOL Investor
Just finished "Sarah's Key" and totally enjoyed it

"In July 1942, Paris police rounded up thousands of Jewish families, eventually sending them to the gas chambers of Auschwitz. Told in flashback, this event alternates and overlaps with the story of Julia Jarmond, an American journalist writing an article for the sixtieth anniversary of this dark, almost-forgotten chapter in French history"

sarahs-key.jpg