The Official Book Thread: What You Reading?

sean69

Star
BGOL Investor
I havent fully read the sections touching on Africa yet, but I skimmed ahead some and to me the African sections are his weakest. There were times when I was like "man this is some bullshit" and found holes in his arguments.

What holes? Just curious.

Right now I'm reading

Edge_of_Evolution_cover_page.jpg

Behe argues that while evolution can produce changes within species, there is a limit to the ability of evolution to generate diversity, and this limit (the "edge of evolution") is somewhere between species and orders. Thus, he asserts, known evolutionary mechanisms cannot be responsible for observed diversification from the last universal ancestors and thus only the intervention of an intelligent designer can adequately account for the diversity of life

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Edge_of_Evolution

Last edited:

melonpecan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Behe argues that while evolution can produce changes within species, there is a limit to the ability of evolution to generate diversity, and this limit (the "edge of evolution") is somewhere between species and orders. Thus, he asserts, known evolutionary mechanisms cannot be responsible for observed diversification from the last universal ancestors and thus only the intervention of an intelligent designer can adequately account for the diversity of life

Sounds interesting...

Cleopatra_J

I am the Ideal
BGOL Investor
living-dead-in-dallas.jpg

Cocktail waitress Sookie Stackhouse is on a streak of bad luck. First, her coworker is murdered. Then, she’s face-to-face with a beastly creature that gives her a poisonous lashing. Enter the vampires, who graciously suck the poison from her veins. But they saved her life, so when one of the bloodsuckers asks for a favor, Sookie complies - and soon she’s in Dallas using her telepathic skills to search for a missing vampire.

Because True Blood season 1 got me interested...

HoneyDip

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
Right now Im reading alot of books on the family for my sociology course... They are pretty interesting because they deal with different aspects of the family.

SuchATease

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
I'm currently reading A Piece of Cake - a memoir by Cupcake Brown. Before this book I was reading books about the slavery experience or stories that took place shortly after emincipation. Next I'm going to read Songs Yet Sung by James McBride.

I also picked up Mercy - Toni Morrison's new book about the slavery experience.

CybaCipha

Rising Star
Platinum Member
9780061353239.jpg

Book Description
Why do our headaches persist after taking a one-cent aspirin but disappear when we take a 50-cent aspirin?

Why does recalling the Ten Commandments reduce our tendency to lie, even when we couldn't possibly be caught?

Why do we splurge on a lavish meal but cut coupons to save twenty-five cents on a can of soup?

Why do we go back for second helpings at the unlimited buffet, even when our stomachs are already full?

And how did we ever start spending $4.15 on a cup of coffee when, just a few years ago, we used to pay less than a dollar?

When it comes to making decisions in our lives, we think we're in control. We think we're making smart, rational choices. But are we?

In a series of illuminating, often surprising experiments, MIT behavioral economist Dan Ariely refutes the common assumption that we behave in fundamentally rational ways. Blending everyday experience with groundbreaking research, Ariely explains how expectations, emotions, social norms, and other invisible, seemingly illogical forces skew our reasoning abilities.

Not only do we make astonishingly simple mistakes every day, but we make the same types of mistakes, Ariely discovers. We consistently overpay, underestimate, and procrastinate. We fail to understand the profound effects of our emotions on what we want, and we overvalue what we already own. Yet these misguided behaviors are neither random nor senseless. They're systematic and predictable—making us predictably irrational.

From drinking coffee to losing weight, from buying a car to choosing a romantic partner, Ariely explains how to break through these systematic patterns of thought to make better decisions. Predictably Irrational will change the way we interact with the world--one small decision at a time.

Code:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ISAAOZZ0

Interesting breakdown of how this book can apply to web marketing:
http://www.seomoz.org/blog/10-irrat...how-to-leverage-them-to-improve-web-marketing

Thanks to Dallas for posting this book. Check his thread - The reviews below ain't mine but I found them insightful. Plus some of you cats don't read whole books so use the reviews as cliff notes.

Peace

Cyba's Book of the month:
http://www.bgol.us/board/showthread.php?t=370009

Chicutie

~Brown Suga~
BGOL Investor
Heya, I just finished reading A Piece of Cake - I liked it but after a while well...... let me know when you finish maybe we can discuss.

I'm reading Gal by Ruthie Bolton

I know exactly what you meant there!!! I was getting so frustrated with Cupcake. . .:smh:

I don't wanna give it away. . . but damn even though it was a good book I had to put it down a couple times because some of things she did were just unbelievable.

JofromthaNO

Urban Renaissance Woman
BGOL Investor
I'm mad the president of my alumni chapter here in NC just sent me an e-mail of the Steve Harvey book on bootleg :lol::lol::lol:

I might just read it, and start posting random quotes from it on here for shits and giggles...

--------------------------------------

On another note, I'm currently reading a daily affirmations book to help me "hold it together" through these last few months of my job until summer vacation...

Cleopatra_J

I am the Ideal
BGOL Investor
I'm mad the president of my alumni chapter here in NC just sent me an e-mail of the Steve Harvey book on bootleg :lol::lol::lol:

I might just read it, and start posting random quotes from it on here for shits and giggles...

--------------------------------------

On another note, I'm currently reading a daily affirmations book to help me "hold it together" through these last few months of my job until summer vacation...
:lol::lol:

I got that email too!!

Cleopatra_J

I am the Ideal
BGOL Investor
I just finished all of the Harry Potter books.. Loved them.. Read the last 3 in a week...

harry-potter.jpg

I just picked up this Wendy Williams book because I'm @ this work training session and wanted something light and easy to get through, but I'm having a tough time deciding what can follow Harry! Before him I read all the True Blood books...

ritz-harper-goes-to-hollywood.jpg

Noir

Support BGOL
Registered
I just finished all of the Harry Potter books.. Loved them.. Read the last 3 in a week...

harry-potter.jpg

Cleo, if you are interested in Harry Potter and Vampires as well, the perfect marriage is the Harry Dresden series of books by Jim Butcher. Described as an "adult Harry Potter", Dresden is a Professional Wizard and consultant for Chicago PD who always seems to get involved in wild cases. Part Harry Potter, part vampire story, part Philip Marlowe mystery, heavy on comedy, but a very good read. There are 11 books out which should keep you occupied for a while...

StormFront_Hardcover_1-120.jpg
FoolMoon_Hardcover_3-120.jpg
GravePeril_Hardcover_4-120.jpg
SummerKnight_Paperback_12-120.jpg
DeathMasks_Paperback_13-120.jpg
BloodRites_Paperback_14-120.jpg
DeadBeat_Hardcover_5-120.jpg
ProvenGuilty_Hardcover_6-120.jpg
WhiteNight_Hardcover_7-120.jpg
SmallFavor_Hardcover_8-120.jpg
TurnCoat_Hardcover_9-120.jpg

As for what I am reading right now . . .

9781558615052.jpg

The book on which the classic noir film starring Gene Tierney and Dana Andrews is based.

melonpecan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Soon as I can get my shit together I plan on reading the Dresden books...it's a lot of stuff I need to stock up on...

Baldhead_Digital

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I just finished reading "Killing Johnny Fry" but Walter Mosley.
If any of you ladies have read it I'd like to get your ideas about the issues raised in this book. It was a very interesting book to say the least.

melonpecan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If any of you ladies have read it I'd like to get your ideas about the issues raised in this book. It was a very interesting book to say the least.

I haven't read this but I will put it on my list

Cleopatra_J

I am the Ideal
BGOL Investor
Cleo, if you are interested in Harry Potter and Vampires as well, the perfect marriage is the Harry Dresden series of books by Jim Butcher. Described as an "adult Harry Potter", Dresden is a Professional Wizard and consultant for Chicago PD who always seems to get involved in wild cases. Part Harry Potter, part vampire story, part Philip Marlowe mystery, heavy on comedy, but a very good read. There are 11 books out which should keep you occupied for a while...

I will check those out when I'm done my new list...

Mosley is on my reading list.. might have to check this out.. can you say more about what its about?

Baldhead_Digital

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Mosley is on my reading list.. might have to check this out.. can you say more about what its about?

Yes, but I don't want to give to much away..

40 yr old Cordell Caramel finds out ( rather graphicly) that his long time girlfriend of many years with who he thought everything was perfect with as an alternate sex life with a white man... Johnny Fry. This discover leads down a road of self discovery, and self revelation...

That's the brief summary.There's more to the story though. FYI, this book teeters on the border of being erotica.

onyxfemme

Punk Ass Decepticons!
BGOL Investor
I finished Midnight by Sister Souljah a few weeks ago. I meant to come in an post on it. Great book-hating the ending. Although the book has been out for some time and their was a lot of hype around it. I decided to wait....I didnt want to jump on the bandwagon.
Anyone-I liked that fact that it didnt focus ANYTHING on the Coldest Winter.
Anywho...Pick it up if you havent.