The Official 2018-2019 Philadelphia 76ers Thread

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
Joel Embiid dominates, Ben Simmons flirts with double-double in Sixers’ preseason finale

SHENZHEN, China – Ben Simmons was determined to pull a JJ Redick.

Simmons on Monday morning played one day after missing practice because of gastroenteritis. The 76ers point guard came up short of shooting perfectly from the field or being the game's leading scorer, as Redick had done in his return Friday morning.

Simmons also wasn't the game's leading scorer in the Sixers' 115-112 loss to the Dallas Mavericks in an NBA China preseason game here at the Shenzhen Universaide Centre. Teammate Joel Embiid scored a game-high 29 points. Simmons, meanwhile, fell one rebound shy of producing a double-double in the Sixers' fourth and final preseason game.

He had 10 points, nine rebounds, six assists and a team-high two blocks in 31 minutes, 4 seconds. Simmons sat out the fourth quarter. He had one negative: a game-high seven turnovers.

"I had a poor game today," Simmons said.

The 2017-18 rookie of the year wasn't impressed with his near double-double and six assists.

"I always do things, whether it's not scoring then it's rebounding and dropping the ball off to people," he said. "I'm always efficient when it comes to playing. That's the way I play."

Simmons recorded 12 triple-doubles last season, the second most by a rookie in NBA history. So it's easy to see why the Australian takes no solace in a near double-double when he also was closing in on 10 turnovers.

"No!" he said. "I'm definitely not pleased with it. That's the worst game I played all preseason."

Embiid, though, was the best player on the floor. The All-Star center had seven rebounds, four assists, two steals and four turnovers to go with his game-high points in 28:06. The 7-foot-2 mammoth was a beast down on the block. He dominated defenders while getting deep position. However, Embiid also took six three-pointers and missed all of them.

Even thought it was a preseason game, his energy was far from exhibition mode.

"Every time I step on the court, I want to win," Embiid said. "My teammates also feel the same. So you know, I want to win."

He admitted to being disappointed with the loss.

"You got to want to get better and get the win," he said.

Markelle Fultz finished with six points on 3-for-7 shooting, three rebounds and two assists in 19:18. He did not attempt a three-pointer.

Fultz, who is overcoming the zips, was heckled by Mavs owner Mark Cuban during the game. Cuban yelled for him to shoot the ball. The 2017 first overall pick fouled out on an offensive foul with 8 minutes, 52 seconds remaining.

Robert Covington added 18 points, and Redick scored 10 in a reserve role. He made just 2 of 6 three-pointers one game after making seven while shooting 10-for-10 to score a game-high 28 points against the Mavs in Shanghai. The teams split the NBA China Games. The Sixers had won, 120-114, at the Mercedes-Benz Arena.

Mike Muscala started at power forward in place of Dario Saric, who has lower-back soreness and rested. Saric is listed as day to day. Saric did participate in his pregame workout.

"It wasn't worth pursuing, trying to force him on a floor," coach Brett Brown said about playing him.

The Sixers finished the preseason 3-1, and the Mavs improved to 2-1.

Philadelphia will open the regular season Oct. 16 against the Celtics at TD Garden in Boston.

MlPOy9.jpg

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
Markelle Fultz still a starter, but he might come off the bench in second halves

SHENZHEN, China — Markelle Fultz will remain the 76ers' starting shooting guard. He just might come off the bench in the second half of games.

Sixers coach Brett Brown acknowledged as much Monday after a 115-112 loss to the Dallas Mavericks in an NBA China game at the Shenzhen Universaide Centre.

Fultz picked up four fouls in the first half and came off the bench at the start of the third quarter. JJ Redick replaced him in the starting lineup. The Sixers had a lot of success with Redick as the starter last season.

"It didn't have anything to do with Markelle being in foul trouble," said Brown, who experimented with rotations this preseason. "Part of my responsibility is to be able put these guys in environments with different combinations and try to figure that out as quickly as I'm able."

Brown went on to say that he believes Fultz is best with the ball in his hands. So is starting point guard Ben Simmons, the reigning rookie of the year.

As a result, the coach said, "When you bring him off the bench in the half, you're able to get him like four or five more minutes as a point guard."

Starting Redick after intermission is something the Sixers will continue to look at. However, Brown said he'll stick with Fultz to start games.

However, Fultz and Simmons are not an ideal backcourt pair, because neither is an outside shooting threat. With both of them on the court, opponents are going sag off them, basically daring the pair to take outside shots.

Simmons attempts and makes corner three-pointers in warmups. But he attempted only 11 three-pointers last season (mostly buzzer heaves from halfcourt and beyond), missing all of them.

Fultz was sidelined for 68 straight games with what the team called a right-shoulder injury. However, sources said he actually had the "yips," which hindered his outside shooting, and renowned shooting coach Drew Hanlen confirmed that in a podcast this summer. But on media day, Fultz denied he had the "yips."

On Monday, Fultz finished with six points on 3-for-7 shooting, three rebounds, and two assists in 19 minutes, 18 seconds, He did not attempt a three-pointer.

Fultz was heckled by Mavs owner Mark Cuban during the game. Cuban yelled for him to shoot the ball. The 2017 first overall pick fouled out on an offensive foul with 8 minutes, 52 seconds remaining.

He made just 1 of 5 three-point attempts this preseason after attempting only one last season.

Brown said Fultz's preseason was what he expected.

"I think that we're all going to have to step back and be realistic/patient with a 20-year-old's growth," the coach said.

The Sixers, though, had the league's best starting-lineup plus-minus with Redick in their lineup last season.

R4CkUY.jpg

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
Rookie Landry Shamet exceeding Sixers’ expectations

SHENZHEN, China — Landry Shamet seems like the perfect fit for the 76ers, and vice versa.

The team is always looking for shooters to space the floor around Joel Embid and Ben Simmons. And the Sixers think they got that in Shamet, the 26th pick in this year's NBA draft.

"When you play with guys like Ben and Joel, it's just going to make your life easier," Shamet said. "You know just having to knock down open looks when they come to you and play defense."

The 6-foot-5, 189-pounder will once again focus on those two things in the preseason game Monday morning against the Dallas Mavericks at the Shenzhen Universiade Sports Centre. This is the second of two games the teams will play as part of NBA China Games. The Sixers prevailed, 120-114, on Friday at the Mercedes-Benz Arena in Shanghai.

Folks might have to pay close attention to Shamet's defense against the Mavs. That's because coach Brett Brown calls him an underrated defender.

But in terms of shooting, he's far from underrated.

As a redshirt sophomore last season at Wichita State, he shot 44.3 percent from the college three-point line. He concluded his college career as a 43.7 percent shooter from long range.

The Sixers didn't want to pass up on the college point guard even though they already have Simmons, Markelle Fultz, and T.J. McConnell as ballhandlers. So they drafted Shamet knowing that he would play shooting guard.

"We looked at him as just a player that could play, like really a highly skilled player," Brown said. "Not a positional-type of draft that we made."

While it's just the preseason, the easy signs point to its being a smart pick.

Shamet has received quality minutes off the bench the last two games while Jerryd Bayless is sidelined with a sprained left knee. He has responded by shooting 5-for-11 (45 percent) on three-pointers in those matchups.

He put on a shooting clinic in the first half Friday. That when Shamet scored 16 of his 18 points. He made 5 of 6 shots while going 3-for-4 on three-pointers in 8 minutes, 57 seconds of action that half.

"It's still preseason," general manager Elton Brand said. "He's still a rookie. But what he's done so far — that's not just the games, but all summer, preseason, practice – he's showed so far that he belongs."

While saying that, Brand doesn't want to put high expectations on a rookie taken late in the first round.

"But," Brand said, "he's played well."

No one in the Sixers organization feels differently.

In fact, the team goes into each preseason game with a plan. Friday night's plan was to give Shamet around 24 minutes to see what he can do.

"He has exceeded expectations," Brown said.

Simmons did not practice Sunday because of gastroenteritis. He is expected to play Monday.

Dude looks real good!! May have gotten a good pick with him!!

cy17un.jpg

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I started his muthafucka Fultz in my fantasy.......y'all told me the boy was ready and worked on his jump shot. Fuck...he still booty.

datboi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I still want to trade Fultz and Covington for Jimmy Butler and/or go ahead and sign Swaggy P to Vet minimum he will at least shoot the ball on the perimeter

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
I still want to trade Fultz and Covington for Jimmy Butler and/or go ahead and sign Swaggy P to Vet minimum he will at least shoot the ball on the perimeter
No and no to both those deals. Both will fuck this team up defensively. Ride it out with Fultz man. Dude did some good things out there tonight.

LwzUQB.jpg

datboi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
No and no to both those deals. Both will fuck this team up defensively. Ride it out with Fultz man. Dude did some good things out there tonight.

LwzUQB.jpg
Fultz looks scared as shit when he's on the floor. Our team will be a great defensive team with: Simmons, Butler, Chandler,Saric, and Embiid with Instant Offense coming off the bench Reddick, Young, Muscala, Shamet and Bolden.

datboi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I don't think Minny would make that trade.
There' no market for Jimmy Butler and his expiring contract. There's only Miami and Philly. They asked us for Ben Simmons and we told Thibs to GTFOH. They would be lucky to get anything better than Covington. I figured you can add Fultz and even if Jimmy moves on next year it frees up an additional 20 million in cap space plus J.J Reddicks 12 Million and Bayless 10 million we can be in play for Kawhi, Anthony Davis.

What can Miami offer that's better than Fultz, Covington plus we can add Miami 2021 First round pick if we need

datboi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I would really like to see a three team trade
Minn trades Butler, Luol Deng
Receives: Covington, Jeff Green, Miami 2021 First Round Pick

Washington trades: Beal, Jeff Green future First
Receives: Fultz, Jimmy Butler

Sixers trade: Fultz, Covington and Miami 2021 first rd pick
Receives: Bradley Beal, Luol Deng , Washington's future first.