The Offical BGOL Boxing Dream-matchup thread.

merce77

Star
Registered
"Terrible" Terry Norris vs Felix "Tito" Trinidad

THE CHAMPION

1793414.jpg

NAME - Terry Norris
BIRTHDATE - 1967-06-17
DIVISION - junior-middleweight
NATIONALITY - African-American
ALIAS - "Terrible"
RESIDENCE - Campo, California, United States
BIRTH PLACE - Lubbock, TX, USA
STANCE - orthodox
HEIGHT - 5'9"
REACH - 74“
RECORD 47-9-31 KO

A star baseball player during his high school years, Norris bypassed a career on the diamond for one in the ring, amassing a stellar 291-4 amateur record. Displaying a stunning combination of hand and foot speed as well as the ability to throw dizzying combos, Norris' athletic ability was an uncanny attribute in the ring as he was considered by many to be one of the best pound for pound boxers in the world. During his career, much of it spent as junior-middleweght champion, Norris defeated a distinguished list of fighters such as John "the beast" Mugabi, Sugar Ray Leonard, Donald Curry, Meldrick Taylor, Maurice Blocker, and Simon Brown.

THE CHALLENGER

946964918_l.jpg

NAME - Felix Trinidad
BIRTHDATE - January 10, 1973
HEIGHT - 5'11"
REACH - 72"
DIVISION - Welterweight/Junior-middleweight/middleweight
NATIONALITY - Puerto Rican
ALIAS - "Tito"
STANCE - Orthodox
HOMETOWN - Cupey Alto, Puerto Rico
RECORD - 42-3-35 KO

Felix Trinidad is without a doubt the most popular and distingusished fighter to come out of Puerto Rico. His dramatic and distinguished career has been followed closely by boxing aficionados and fans alike since he captured the IBF Welterweight championship of the world from the veteran hands of Maurice Blocker in June of 1993. After becoming world champion Felix defended the belt against all comers, amassing a staggering 15 title defeses against the likes of such renowend peers as Hector "Macho" Camacho, Luis Ramon "Yori Boy" Campas, Oba Carr and the legendary Pernell "Sweet Pea" Whitaker. Other fghters who Trinidad defeated include Oscar DeLaHoya, Fernando Vargas, David Reid, and Ricardo Mayorga.

This Chamionship bout is scheduled for 12 rounds for Norris' WBC junior-middleweight title.

tp2001

Star
Registered
Nice matchup there, merce...I'll wait for Ready2Rumble to post his...that way he can "catch up" :D

Ready2Rumble82

Star
BGOL Investor
Fuckin laptop went out and had to have it fixed. But the third judge is back. I'll think of another matchup, post it, and then get to judging all the fights i've gotten backed up on.

Plus i'll post the latest news in the general boxing thread.

merce77

Star
Registered
Fuckin laptop went out and had to have it fixed. But the third judge is back. I'll think of another matchup, post it, and then get to judging all the fights i've gotten backed up on.

Plus i'll post the latest news in the general boxing thread.

Yeah my laptop is wilin too, the fuckin screen won't stay up straight, I gotta lean it against shit:angry: I'll be posting that classic from this weekend in the other thread later though.

Ready2Rumble82

Star
BGOL Investor
Here's one for the fam...

Joel 'El Cepillo' Casamayor vs. Azumah 'The Professor' Nelson

Joel Casamayor

08-03-26-joel_casamayor01.jpg

nationality: Cuba
alias: El Cepillo
residence: Miramar, Florida, United States
birth place: Guantanamo, Cuba
birth name: Joel Casamayor Johnson
stance: southpaw
height: 5′ 7″
reach: 69“
record: won 36 (KO 22) + lost 3 (KO 0) + drawn 1 = 40
rounds boxed: 281 - KO% 55

Joel "El Cepillo" Casamayor Johnson (born July 12, 1971 in Guantanamo) is a Cuban boxer, who turned pro after defecting to the United States on the eve of the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta. The nickname "El Cepillo", literally translated to "the hairbrush", comes from his uppercut, which rakes his opponents across the face.

Casamayor is a two time champion, and current WBO interim Lightweight champion, as well as The Ring magazines world champion.

He won the NABF Super Featheweight title in 1999. Later that year, he won the WBA Super Featherweight title. In 2002, he lost that title in a controversial unification bout with WBO champion Acelino Freitas. Joel slipped and the ref called it a knockdown plus joel had apoint deducted, many believe Joel should have won the fight. In 2004, Diego Corrales, whom Casamayor stopped in 2003, defeated him for the vacant WBO Super Featherweight title via a very close decision. Casamayor failed to take the WBC Lightweight title from José Luis Castillo later that year because the judges scored what seemed to be a clear win for Casamayor for Castillo. After the loss to Castillo, Casamayor's career appeared to be in a downward spiral and he was set up with rising prospect Almazbek Raiymkulov in June 2005. In a spirited battle the bout ended in a draw, with many believing that Casamayor's best days were behind him. After two bouts against little known opposition, in October 2006, Casamayor yet again took on the popular Diego Corrales, and defeated him by split decision, winning the WBC Lightweight title and recognition as the world lightweight champion by Ring Magazine. He was stripped of the WBC title for signing to fight then WBO lightweight champion Freitas rather than defend against his mandatory challenger, WBC interim champion David Diaz. Diaz was named champion. (The Casamayor-Freitas lightweight title bout never took place. Freitas ended up fighting and losing to WBA champion Juan Diaz.) After Casamayor threatened the WBC with legal action,he was named as their interim champ.

He defended the interim championship as well as The Ring's title against Jose Armando Santa Cruz on November 11, 2007 and won a controversial split decision.

The WBC removed Casamayor's interim title when, instead of fighting a rematch with Santa Cruz, he signed to fight undefeated Michael Katsidis, the WBO interim lightweight titlist. On March 22, 2008, Casamayor became the first man to defeat the Australian Katsidis when he won the fight with a TKO in the 10th round. With the win, Casamayor retained his Ring Magazine world title and added the WBO interim championship to his collection.

Azumah Nelson

g_azumahnelson_Ruelas180.jpg

nationality: Ghana
alias: The Professor
residence: Accra, Ghana
birth place: Accra, Ghana
stance: orthodox
height: 5′ 5″
reach: 68“
record: won 39 (KO 28) + lost 6 (KO 1) + drawn 2 = 47
rounds boxed: 398 - KO% 59.57

Amateur Record: 50-2

His TKO victory on March 1, 1992 over Jeff Fenech was recognized as the The Ring Magazine Upset of the Year.

Named The Ring Magazine Comeback of the Year fighter for 1995.

Inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 2004.

Born July 19, 1958 in Accra, Ghana. A fine amateur boxer, he logged 50 wins in 52 contests before joining the paid ranks in 1979. In only his 14th pro bout, he was matched as a late substitute with Hall of Famer Salvador Sanchez for the WBC featherweight belt in Madison Square Garden. Nelson battled the Mexican legend valiantly before succumbing in the 15th round of their July 1982 contest. The previously unknown Ghanaian was now a recognized force in the 126lb division and on December 8, 1984 he captured the WBC championship with a 11th round TKO over Hall of Famer Wilfredo Gomez. He successfully defended the belt six times before winning the WBC super featherweight title from Mario Martinez in 1988. After four title defenses, he unsuccessfully challenged Pernell Whitaker for the WBC/IBF lightweight titles. Upon returning to the 130-pound class he defended his championship six more times, including a controversial draw with Australian Hall of Famer Jeff Fenech on June 28, 1991. In the rematch eight months later, Nelson ventured to Australia and stopped Fenech via 8th round kayo. Wins over Calvin Grove and Gabe Ruelas led to the first of four encounters with "Jesse" James Leija. Nelson drew with Leija in their first bout on September 10, 1993 before losing the WBC title to the tough Texan in the rematch eight months later. After regaining the belt from Leija's successor Gabriel Ruelas in December 1995, Nelson got revenge with a TKO win over Leija in the 6th round of their rubber match. In his next outing he lost the championship to Genaro Hernandez (L12) and then dropped a 12-round decision to Leija in what would be Nelson's last bout. A true world champion, he fought all over the globe, including England, Australia, Spain, Mexico and throughout the United States. A combination of technical boxing skills, power in both hands and a reliable chin enabled Nelson to compile a 39-5-2 (28KOs) record. A national hero in his homeland, Nelson still resides in Accra.

This fight takes place at the Jr. Lightweight limit of 130 lbs. and will be a 12 round bout.

Last edited:

Ready2Rumble82

Star
BGOL Investor
Mike "Bodysnatcher" MCallum VS Ronald "Winky" Wright

As stated before Winky has two major elements to his game that has given him his success. His reach which allows him to keep his opponents at bay with his long jab, and his tight defense.

McCallum has the reach advantage here which negates Winky's jab and allows Mike to get inside and let him do some work. Winky will be able to block and pick off most of what Mccallum is throwing but just won't open up enough of an offense to make this an interesting fight. Over the course of the bout Mike basically uses ring generalship and his work rate to take a unanimous decision.

The only two things that will be guaranteed is that on Sunday Wright's forearms will be sore as hell from trying to pick off that body attack and after the fight Winky will go on to say that he felt he did enough to win and that he was robbed of the fight.

merce77

Star
Registered
As stated before Winky has two major elements to his game that has given him his success. His reach which allows him to keep his opponents at bay with his long jab, and his tight defense.

McCallum has the reach advantage here which negates Winky's jab and allows Mike to get inside and let him do some work. Winky will be able to block and pick off most of what Mccallum is throwing but just won't open up enough of an offense to make this an interesting fight. Over the course of the bout Mike basically uses ring generalship and his work rate to take a unanimous decision.

The only two things that will be guaranteed is that on Sunday Wright's forearms will be sore as hell from trying to pick off that body attack and after the fight Winky will go on to say that he felt he did enough to win and that he was robbed of the fight.
C/S!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: You ain't lyin'!

merce77

Star
Registered
I'm gonna have to get back on that Nelson/Casamayor fight, I don't wanna be biased because Casamayor is a hell of a fighter but I never liked him and "The Professor Zoom Zoom" is one of my favorite "little guys". BTW, who, in you guys opinion is the dirtiest fighter you've ever seen? My brother says Eusebio Pedroza but I don't remember him that well.

Ready2Rumble82

Star
BGOL Investor
Before I jump into that McCallum/Wright match (and my pick may surprise you), here is the 140lb. bout that was requested by merce77...

Coming to you from Ceasars Palace in Las Vegas, we have what is sure to be a slugfest of sorts. Be sure to get close to the TV for this one...

On the blue corner, we bring to you...out of Philadelphia, PA...with a record of 38 wins, 20 by KO, 8 defeats, with one draw...

He is the former IBF light welterweight, and the former WBA welterweight...champion of the wooooooooooorrrrrrrrrllllllllld....

taylormeldrick1985.jpeg

Mellllldriiiiiiiiick Taaaaaaaaylorrrrrrr!!!!!

In the red corner...he hails from Cincinnati, Ohio...his record...39 wins with 35 coming by way of knockout, and only one defeat...

He is the former IBF light welterweight, and the former WBA light welterweight...champion of the wooooooooooorrrrrrrrrllllllllld....

AAFT033~Aaron-Pryor-In-ring-Photofile-Posters.jpg

Aaron...The Hawk...Pryyyyyyyyyyyyyyorrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

"Now gentlemen, we reviewed the rules in the dressing rooms. I expect a tough, clean fight. Obey my commands at all times. Touch gloves..."

Judge_Mills_Lane.jpg

"Let's get it on!!!"

:D

GREAT matchup TP.

The Taylor that showed up against Chavez would give anyone hell, and a prime Pryor was damn near unstoppable. Now do you favor the wind up toy that never stopped throwing punches in Pryor or the blinding hand and footspeed of Taylor.

I lean toward Pryor's strength and punch output. Meldrick would be able to frustrate Pryor for a few rounds at best, but that's it. Not because that's all he was capable of, but because that's all he would allow himself to do. Once Pryor landed some good shots we all know that Meldrick throws the sweet science right out the window and this one becomes a slugfest. What made Meldrick so exciting to watch is exactly what would lead to his downfall. So many times in his career he could have easily boxed his way to victory without making it nearly as interesting or exciting as he did. And in this case it would lead to Pryor getting the best of him. Pryor gets the stoppage win in the championship rounds.

I'll be back in a bit for Hamed-Pacquiao.

Last edited:

Ready2Rumble82

Star
BGOL Investor
I'm gonna have to get back on that Nelson/Casamayor fight, I don't wanna be biased because Casamayor is a hell of a fighter but I never liked him and "The Professor Zoom Zoom" is one of my favorite "little guys". BTW, who, in you guys opinion is the dirtiest fighter you've ever seen? My brother says Eusebio Pedroza but I don't remember him that well.

Good call by your Bro on Pedroza, the kidney shots he would put on guys was nothing nice. So many fighters come to mind when i think of consistent dirty tactics. Tony Galendo used to do everything in the book, Gene Fullmer was the World Headbutting Champ of the world, Holyfield butted so much people said it was like trying to fight a guy with three fists, post prison tyson pulled a lot of shady shit, i dunno know whether to classify golota as dirty or just plain dumb, Hopkins can't be left off of this list as the vet knows exactly what to pull and when to do it. I'm sure there are a few more that i've missed, but all those guys were consistently fouling.

And I agree Merce, I've always respected Casa's record and his willingness to always fight the best out there, but I've never liked his punk ass. He's actually a decent guy outside of the ring and away from the cameras, but still, i've never really been a fan.

merce77

Star
Registered
Good call by your Bro on Pedroza, the kidney shots he would put on guys was nothing nice. So many fighters come to mind when i think of consistent dirty tactics. Tony Galendo used to do everything in the book, Gene Fullmer was the World Headbutting Champ of the world, Holyfield butted so much people said it was like trying to fight a guy with three fists, post prison tyson pulled a lot of shady shit, i dunno know whether to classify golota as dirty or just plain dumb, Hopkins can't be left off of this list as the vet knows exactly what to pull and when to do it. I'm sure there are a few more that i've missed, but all those guys were consistently fouling.

And I agree Merce, I've always respected Casa's record and his willingness to always fight the best out there, but I've never liked his punk ass. He's actually a decent guy outside of the ring and away from the cameras, but still, i've never really been a fan.

Yeah my Dad always mentions Fullmer as a dirty fighter and I remember Holyfield using his dome as an "equalizer";) against the bigger heavyweights he was facing. But you are right on about Golota, I always thought homie had just as much skill as any of the brothers in that division at the time, he always puzzled me man. Then I just came to the conclusion that he and Mike are really similar, I never saw Tyson as a dirty fighter even with all the shit that he pulled(earbiting), I guess I just see him and Andrew as just crazy mofos who pull shit they can't even explain.

Now, as for the Casamayor/Nelson fight, this was a tough one, because they are so well matched in terms of skill and power though azumah was probably the harder puncher. Both could be aggressive and both could counterpunch. And most important, both have a very sharp boxing minds, they are both craftsman at what they do. At first I kept thinking of Azumah's fight with Pernell, only because Sweet was a very fast southpaw like Casamayor who also had the type of "sneaky skills" Casamayor employs but Im going to go with Azumah on this one. I think that Casa would probably give him different looks and angles for the first few rounds but for some reason I see this match turning into a high paced chess match and gradually building into a more aggressive chess match, the sort that purists like us enjoy watching, then again I may be wrong. That sort of fight would probably favor Azumah. I just think even with Casamayor's movement which wasn't as good as Pernell's but excellent, Nelson would shorten the distance quickly and he was good at cutting off the ring, Joel would only be able to move for so long. Plus Joel was not averse to brawling when he had to(or dirty tactics) or when he got tagged with a good shot and the more Joel threw the more chances Azumah would have to throw his accurate counterpunches, I don't think Azumah would KO him, Joel was too difficult to hit flush in his prime and he's fought two of the hardest hitting lightweights of all time (Corrales,Castillo). Now if they really started to slug it out I'd have to pick Azumah, he fought and KO'ed some really great little guys in and even after his prime but I really don't see this becoming a slugfest(unless they were both in their mid-thirites). I see Azumah being the aggressor in this fight and I would just tend to favor his offensive boxing and intelligence over Casa's defense and counterpunching. Azumah by split decision in my book.

tp2001

Star
Registered
Hey folks I've been in the middle of moving this week so I haven't been on the board as much, but I can give some insight on the matches y'all posted...

First, it is the Trinidad-Norris matchup at light middleweight. Now when I first saw this matchup, I thought it would be a great clash of fighters who go for the big KOs. At first, I had Trinidad being the victor, but the key statement that merce77 mentioned at the end of the post was that it was at light middleweight instead of welterweight. Other than beating Vargas, Tito hasn't had that much success above welter and Norris was a natural 154 guy with power that could back up and/or frustrate a somewhat linear guy like Trinidad. Therefore, I pick Norris by UD.

The Nelson/Casamayor fight is probably the toughest one to pick...Both fighters had power behind their punches and a great chin to take some good shots which can lead to a barnburner...To me, it comes down to who has a better defense...Which in this case goes to Nelson. Actually, a deciding factor for me picking Nelson was because of what Kasidis did to Casamayor. I think a more technical boxer would have finished Joel off...

merce77

Star
Registered
Hey folks I've been in the middle of moving this week so I haven't been on the board as much, but I can give some insight on the matches y'all posted...

First, it is the Trinidad-Norris matchup at light middleweight. Now when I first saw this matchup, I thought it would be a great clash of fighters who go for the big KOs. At first, I had Trinidad being the victor, but the key statement that merce77 mentioned at the end of the post was that it was at light middleweight instead of welterweight. Other than beating Vargas, Tito hasn't had that much success above welter and Norris was a natural 154 guy with power that could back up and/or frustrate a somewhat linear guy like Trinidad. Therefore, I pick Norris by UD.

The Nelson/Casamayor fight is probably the toughest one to pick...Both fighters had power behind their punches and a great chin to take some good shots which can lead to a barnburner...To me, it comes down to who has a better defense...Which in this case goes to Nelson. Actually, a deciding factor for me picking Nelson was because of what Kasidis did to Casamayor. I think a more technical boxer would have finished Joel off...

Sorry tp I gotta disagree on this one, no way in hell does Norris beat Trinidad at super welter, Tito had great success at superwelter, beating first David Reid and then Vargas for their belts. Norris had a habit of going to war when he didn't have to and he also had quite a suspect chin. Tito starts out frustrated in this fight but gets to Norris eventually the same way Julian Jackson did. Tito by brutal 11th round stoppage. Good point about the Katsidis/Casa fight, a more thechnical dude like Guzman or Campbell woulda done him in.

Ready2Rumble82

Star
BGOL Investor
"The Prince" Naseem Hamed vs Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao

I gotta to with the Pacman on this one.

While The Prince would be able to catch Manny coming in throwing wild shots early on, Manny's unrelenting pressure would get the best of Hamed. Hamed's upper and lower body movement he uses as his defense would be able to elude a number of Manny's punches but like I said, Pac would keep throwing and start hitting Naseem. If Kevin Kelly can put Naseem down three times in a few rounds I think Pac can hurt the shit out of him.

Hamed has only twice faced the level of opposition that Manny has. Hamed's biggest fight came against Barrera and we all know how that turned out. Manny has beat elite competition and Hamed has not. There's a reason for that.

Obviously, with The Prince's speed and power you could never count him out of a fight.

I see Hamed getting stopped in the mid to late rounds. The only way this goes to the cards is if Hamed stays the hell away from Pac all damn night.

Ready2Rumble82

Star
BGOL Investor
"Terrible" Terry Norris vs Felix "Tito" Trinidad

Norris could outspeed and outclass Tito any day of the week. But Terry always seemed to make fights harder than they had to be, and as Merce noted, his chin was suspect.

I say he knocks Tito down early as many other did, and as it happened to many other Tito faced, he would regroup.

Tito stops Terry in the middle rounds.

merce77

Star
Registered
Norris could outspeed and outclass Tito any day of the week. But Terry always seemed to make fights harder than they had to be, and as Merce noted, his chin was suspect.

I say he knocks Tito down early as many other did, and as it happened to many other Tito faced, he would regroup.

Tito stops Terry in the middle rounds.

Not only that, most of the elite fighters he beat at super-welter were blown up 140 or 147 lb'ers like Meldrick Taylor or Donald Curry, Terry is my favorite fighter of that era along with James Toney but like u said R2R, he always made fights harder than he had to. :D I still say Hamed catches Pac rushing in with a monster shot. Plus R2R, the two times Manny has been KO'ed, it was with one big shot while he was rushing in, Hamed was never hurt in the Kelly fight or in any other fight that I can remember and two of those knock downs were from Hameds glove touching the canvas. Pac is not a boxer like Barerra, but I know when I'm overruled:lol:, Pac Ko's Hamed to retain his title. I got a nice one for later...:)

Ready2Rumble82

Star
BGOL Investor
It's time to get this thread going again now that i think i'm all caught up.

Ray 'Boom Boom' Mancini vs. Juan 'Baby Bull' Diaz

Ray Mancicni

mancini.jpg

birth date: 1961-03-04
division: lightweight
nationality: United States
alias: Boom Boom
residence: Youngstown, Ohio, United States
height: 5′ 4½″
reach: 65“
record: won 29 (KO 23) + lost 5 (KO 3) + drawn 0 = 34
rounds boxed: 201
KO%: 67.65

Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini (born Raymond Michael Mancino; March 4, 1961) is an Italian-American former boxer. He held the World Boxing Association lightweight championship for two years in the 1980s. Mancini inherited his distinctive nickname, "Boom Boom", from his father, veteran boxer Lenny "Boom Boom" Mancini, who laid the foundation for his son's career. The name, however, perfectly suited the younger Mancini's wild, "whirlwind" fighting style.

Juan Diaz

juan-diaz1.JPG

birth date: 1983-09-17
alias: Baby Bull
residence: Houston, Texas, United States
birth place: Houston, TX, USA
height: 5′ 6″
reach: 67“
record: won 33 (KO 17) + lost 1 (KO 0) + drawn 0 = 34
rounds boxed: 227
KO%: 50

Juan Díaz, born September 17, 1983 in Houston, Texas, is a Mexican-American boxer in the lightweight (135 lb) division. His record is 33-1 (17 KOs). He is the former unified WBA & WBO and IBF world lightweight champion, having lost the titles to Nate Campbell on March 8, 2008.

This fight is scheduled for 15 rounds and is for the WBA Lightweight Championship

tp2001

Star
Registered
Before I forget this matchup here is what I got at super featherweight...

In the red corner, coming from Sacramento, California...This fighter comes in with a record of 40 wins and 5 losses with 33 wins by way of knockout...

He is the former IBA, IBF, and WBO super featherweight champon of the woooooorrrrlllllld....

CorralesBelt.jpg

Diego.....Chicoooooooo Coorrrrrrraaalllllessss!!!!!!

His challenger, fighting out of the blue corner, hails from Los Angeles, California. His record: 38 wins, 2 losses, and 1 draw with 17 wins by way of knockout....

Introducing the former WBA and WBC super featherweight champion of the woooorrrrlllllllllld.....

242154.jpg

Genaro...Chi-ca-ni-toooooooooooo Herrrrrnaaaaandezzzz!!!

This is for the unified super featherweight championship...

Lennonjr.jimmy.jpg

"It's showtime!!!"

tp2001

Star
Registered

Ray Mancicni

mancini.jpg

Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini (born Raymond Michael Mancino; March 4, 1961) is an Italian-American former boxer. He held the World Boxing Association lightweight championship for two years in the 1980s. Mancini inherited his distinctive nickname, "Boom Boom", from his father, veteran boxer Lenny "Boom Boom" Mancini, who laid the foundation for his son's career. The name, however, perfectly suited the younger Mancini's wild, "whirlwind" fighting style.

Juan Diaz

juan-diaz1.JPG

Juan Díaz, born September 17, 1983 in Houston, Texas, is a Mexican-American boxer in the lightweight (135 lb) division. His record is 33-1 (17 KOs). He is the former unified WBA & WBO and IBF world lightweight champion, having lost the titles to Nate Campbell on March 8, 2008.

This fight is scheduled for 15 rounds and is for the WBA Lightweight Championship

R2R this looks to be an exciting match...While Diaz loves to come forward at all times at his opponents, Boom Boom would throw at you whether he's coming forward or not. Diaz with his height and reach advantage could give Mancini fits, especially if he's not able to get at Diaz with his wild shots. If that happens, then Diaz can work him over with the jab and then do some damage at the ropes...

However, why do I have a feeling that with Diaz's come forward mentality that he could drop his guard for Boom Boom to catch him with a good one?

Anyway, I have Diaz winning by UD...But I could be wrong on that pick

merce77

Star
Registered

Ray Mancicni

mancini.jpg

Juan Diaz

juan-diaz1.JPG

Well I haven't seen R2R here in a LOOOOONG time but I need to reply to this matchup, I like this match.....for Boom Boom. Ray was at his best when he didn't need to chase a guy or cut off the ring, which he did well anyway. He was a pure brawler but had the skills to give even a great champ like Arguello a hell of a fight as a young relatively inexperienced dude. He was hard to keep off you and he had serious power. I just don't think the Baby Bull had the power to keep Ray off him, even though Juan is the physically bigger guy, Mancini would have the edge in strength and power, and a fight between two guys who come forward and throw, usually boils down to who hits harder and is stronger. Ray would eventually open a cut on Diaz and swell his eyes up and as we saw against Campbell and Marquez, he falls apart once that happens. Juan's corner steps in, Boom Boom by 10th Rd TKO.

Before I forget this matchup here is what I got at super featherweight...

In the red corner, coming from Sacramento, California...This fighter comes in with a record of 40 wins and 5 losses with 33 wins by way of knockout...

He is the former IBA, IBF, and WBO super featherweight champon of the woooooorrrrlllllld....

CorralesBelt.jpg

Diego.....Chicoooooooo Coorrrrrrraaalllllessss!!!!!!

His challenger, fighting out of the blue corner, hails from Los Angeles, California. His record: 38 wins, 2 losses, and 1 draw with 17 wins by way of knockout....

Introducing the former WBA and WBC super featherweight champion of the woooorrrrlllllllllld.....

242154.jpg

Genaro...Chi-ca-ni-toooooooooooo Herrrrrnaaaaandezzzz!!!

This is for the unified super featherweight championship...

Lennonjr.jimmy.jpg

"It's showtime!!!"

Now if we're talking about the pre-Goosen Corrales, I would say Genaro dominates Corrales with his boxing skills and sharp punches, manages to not get hit with anything big and unifies the title. With Dan Goosen, I would have to say Chico has a better chance of beating Hernandez, Chico did a great job of boxing against Casamayor in the rematch so he showed how much he'd grown by that time at lightweight. At super-feather though as you specified, I'd say Haernandez by UD.

merce77

Star
Registered
Julio Cesar Chavez

325px-Julio_Cesar_Chavez.jpg

Wins: 107
Losses: 6
Draws: 2
KO: 86
Division: Lightweight
Nationality: Mexico
Alias: J.C.
Residence: Culiacan, Sinaloa, Mexico
Birth place: Ciudad Obregon, SON, Mexico
Birth name: Julio Cesar Chavez Gonzalez
Stance: orthodox
Height: 5' 7½" / 171cm
Reach: 68" / 173cm

Known as "El Gran Campeoon Mexicano", Chavez was well known for his scintillating left hook to the body than for his underrated boxing skills. He would walk opponents down, cutting of the ring and destroy their bodies. Involved in some controversial decisions such as the Taylor stoppage and the Whitaker draw but nonetheless defeated fighters such as Hector Camacho, Jose Luis Ramirez, Greg Haugen, Edwin Rosario, Meldrick Taylor, Buddy McGirt and uncle and trainer of Floyd Mayweather Jr., Roger Mayweather. In his prime, Chavez was considered the best p4p fighter in boxing and is widely considered to be the greatest Mexican fighter ever.

VS

Roberto "Manos de Piedra" Duran

SI5225.jpg

Wins: 103
Losses: 16
Draws: 0
KO: 70
Division: lightweight
Nationality: Panama
Alias: Manos de Piedra
Residence: Panama City, Panama
Birth place: El Chorrillo, Panama
Birth name: Roberto Duran Samaniego
Height: 5' 7" / 170cm
Reach: 66' / 168cm

Widely regarded as one of the greatest boxers of all-time. A renowned brawler in the ring, he was nicknamed "Manos de Piedra" (or "Hands of Stone"). In 2002, he was chosen by The Ring Magazine to be the 5th greatest fighter of the last 80 years. He defeated such fighters as Sugar Ray Leonard, Ken Buchanan, Esteban DeJesus, Edwin Viruet, Carlos Palomino, Pipino Cuevas, Davey Moore and Iran Barkley.

Ok gentlemen, this fight is scheduled for fifteen rounds for the vacant WBC Lightweight Championship. Respect my commands and protect yourselves at all times, touch gloves and come out swingin'!

tp2001

Star
Registered
GOOD matchup here, merce77...I like it

When I recover from College Football night, I'll give my pick...

tp2001

Star
Registered
Okay merce, this matchup is one of the toughest to decide because both were great fighters in their prime and defeated some of the best ever during those times...

Now here's how I have it shaped out...For the first few rounds, they test each other with some two punch combos...Duran with the jab-cross to the face, and Chavez with the jab to the face and the hook to the body while backing Duran up...With Chavez having the slight height and reach advantage, he'll use that to cut off the movement of Duran (as you stated) and try to work him. However, Duran in the later rounds gets to Chavez a little bit more and catches him with good shots to the head. While Chavez has the advantage in the effective punching and accuracy, Duran hurts him with a right cross to the top of the head that stuns him in the 10th and knocks him down for an 8 count...At the 11th, Duran starts to pick up steam and Chavez starts to lose focus a bit and is less effective with his punches...After that, Duran gets him again in the 12th and drops Chavez with an uppercut leading to a jab-hook combo that finishes off Julio. Duran KO 12.

merce77

Star
Registered
Okay merce, this matchup is one of the toughest to decide because both were great fighters in their prime and defeated some of the best ever during those times...

Now here's how I have it shaped out...For the first few rounds, they test each other with some two punch combos...Duran with the jab-cross to the face, and Chavez with the jab to the face and the hook to the body while backing Duran up...With Chavez having the slight height and reach advantage, he'll use that to cut off the movement of Duran (as you stated) and try to work him. However, Duran in the later rounds gets to Chavez a little bit more and catches him with good shots to the head. While Chavez has the advantage in the effective punching and accuracy, Duran hurts him with a right cross to the top of the head that stuns him in the 10th and knocks him down for an 8 count...At the 11th, Duran starts to pick up steam and Chavez starts to lose focus a bit and is less effective with his punches...After that, Duran gets him again in the 12th and drops Chavez with an uppercut leading to a jab-hook combo that finishes off Julio. Duran KO 12.

Haven't posted in a few days and my posting will be sporadic in the next coming weeks since I just bought a house and I'm in the process of moving but I will NOT be taking any more hiatuses:lol:

Shit I'm in a Dunkin Donuts with free WiFi right now and a bottle of Dewar's in my pocket:lol:

Shit, we see eye to eye on this one. Chavez would hit him hard but early. These guys are somewhat similar but Duran had a better defense and much better speed and footwork. Unless you had a huge size advantage over Duran or were just more technically sound than him when he was very young(DeJesus I), he was damm near impossible to beat at lightweight. Especially after Ray Arcel came into the picture and imparted all his knowledge on Robbie. I'd throw the mid twenties Duran at any lightweight in history and I'd put my money on Roberto. Now Chavez was a master at cutting off the ring if you were a mover but he wouldn't have to go looking for Duran. You'd probably be able to cut the machismo in that ring with a knife. There would be alot of trading shots from the first bell all the way until the end of the fight. Now Roberto had the ability to jump in, hurt you with shots and jump back out without getting hit. In that sense, this late version of Pacquiao reminds me a LIL bit of Duran. Plus it seemed that the harder the fight got, the more you hit him, the better he seemed to get. Chavez tries to put the pressure on late sensing that the fight is slipping, finds out that Duran is not
Meldrick Taylor and gets caught coming in with a huge half-hook, half-upper that Duran loved to throw and that would be the beginning of the end. Duran swarms him on the ropes, Chavez fight back valiantly but is taking too many flush shots from the much faster fisted Duran. I must concur, the ref jumps in to call an end to it, Duran by late stoppage.:yes:

Last edited:

merce77

Star
Registered
Sugar Ray Robinson

T623722A.jpg

Division: Middleweight
Nationality: United States
Residence: Harlem, New York, United States
Birth place: Ailey, Georgia, United States
Birth name: Walker Smith Jr.
Alias: Sugar
Stance: Orthodox
Height: 5' 11" / 180cm
Reach: 72½" / 184cm
Wins: 173
Losses: 19
Draws: 6
KO: 108

Sugar Ray Robinson is considered by many boxing historians and enthusiasts to be the greatest boxer ever, pound-for-pound. He is frequently, if not always, ranked among the top three boxers ever in both the welterweight and middleweight classes. His competition is one of the best in boxing history fighting 18 world champions and defeating 10 Hall of Famers including; Sammy Angott, Fritzie Zivic, Henry Armstrong, Kid Gavilan, Jake LaMotta, Randy Turpin, Rocky Graziano, Bobo Olson, Carmen Basilio, and Gene Fullmer. Robinson was undefeated as welterweight champion from 1946-1951. He was a 5 time middleweight champion. He achieved a final official record of 175-19-6 2 NC with 109 kayo’s. 16 of his 19 losses came after his first comeback at age 34, 12 after the age of 40.

Robinson demonstrated that boxing wasn't only strength or power but like ballet emphasized skill, beauty, rhythm, co-ordination, timing, and balance. Like a great dancer he was always in position and moved with a progressive flow. His combinations were picture perfect. Perfect is one of the best words to describe Robinson in his prime. He was the closest thing to perfection boxing has ever seen. Sugar Ray was sleek and slick, with amazing reflexes and quicksilver legs. He was a dance master, capable of raining a storm of pinpoint punches from a bewildering array of angles.

VS

Roy Jones Jr.

roy-jones-jr.jpg

Division: Middleweight/Super-middleweight
Nationality: United States
Alias: Junior
Residence: Pensacola, Florida, United States
Birth place: Pensacola, Florida, United States
Birth name: Roy Levester Jones
Height: 5' 11" / 180cm
Reach: 74" / 188cm
Wins: 54
Losses: 5
Draws: 0
Ko: 40

Roy Jones Jr. is a man who defies definition. A six-time world champion boxer in four different weight classes. Often compared favorably with the Sugar Rays--both Leonard and Robinson--Jones is believed by many to be arguably the most physically talented boxer of all time.
Ross Greenburg of HBO once stated "I was there for Leonard and Hagler and Hearns and Duran in their prime. I think Roy Jones gets in a ring and beats them all. I've never seen that kind of punching power and speed in one man."
The Body Snatcher Mike McCallum once called Jones "the greatest fighter of all time." Jones' mastery extends beyond mere strength and speed, however. He also has the ability t o outthink other fighters, to anticipate and counter their moves before they even know what they are.
Jones was The Ring "Fighter of the Year" in 1994 and was voted the "Fighter of the Decade" for the 1990s by the Boxing Writers Association of America. He's the former IBF middleweight champion, IBF super middleweight champion and former undisputed light heavyweight champion. He made eleven successful defenses in unifying the 175-pound division before moving up to heavyweight to fight John Ruiz. On March 1, 2003, Jones became the first former middleweight champion to win a heavyweight title in over 100 years.

This bout is scheduled for 15 rounds for the WBC Middleweight Championship. Okay gentlemen, I expect a good clean fight, touch gloves and good luck.:D

tp2001

Star
Registered
Sugar Ray Robinson vs. Roy Jones Jr. is a match that many speak of as a dream match...but I'll take a stab at this...

DISCLAIMER: Due to the fact that I disliked Jones in the ring, this judgement may seem very swayed...

Now that I have put that in the fray, all of you now know who I am picking in this matchup. As a matter of fact, I don't think it is even close...Now don't get me wrong, Roy got some skills and ability, but when it comes to this matchup (especially since it is at middleweight), that is all he has. Punch power is even (possibly), defense may be even but Roy would be more agile...However, that is where his possible advantages stop...

For one, Robinson was that dude when it came to hand speed...No one in the game came close to Sugar's speed when it came to combos. Next, his endurance would blow Roy out of the water...Jones may brag about playing basketball the same day as when he fights former firemen, but Robinson was winning one fight at welter and then the next fight at what would be considered today as super welter within the next month. Lastly, and this ties in somewhat to endurance, Ray Robinson knew how to take a punch. Yes, I know that Roy got chin checked only in the light heavy division, but even so that was a question that many fans and critics had about Jones throughout his whole career...

With this being the case, I have Roy tiring out by rounds 9 and 10, and with Robinson still on his pace, he gets the upper hand on him at the end of the 10th, and Roy Jones Sr. stops the fight before round 11...