The Name "Jalen" Never Existed Until Black Americans Created It

This conversation just brought up memories, bruh.

This shit is personal.

I have a quick story.

I had just finished my masters degree and was applying to positions. I chose to use my dad's name for my resume and would tell people that I go by my dad's name. (Of course that was a lie). I even had an email address using my dad's name.

So I got an interview with the city of Toronto (in Canada) for a junior professional position. (The field that I was looking to get into had like 0% black people). I met the interviewer, started the interview, and was doing my best to show what I knew.

This CAC bitch who was interviewing me was impressed with my credentials, knowledge, and understanding of the field.

But for some reason, she couldn't get over that I was from Flint, Michigan. (This was before the water crises BTW).

Seriously, she was obsessed with it and mentioned me being from Flint multiples times during the interview.

I saw the face that she made when I said it.....She literally cringed.

Of course, I didnt get the position. I forgot what bullshit excuse that they gave me, but I knew that, during the interview, I had it in the bag.

After that experience, I went back to using my real name on my resume because CACS ARE GONNA CAC.

If they don't filter you out during the process of examining your resume, they will filter you out later during the hiring process for whatever reason.

Why the fuck would I want to work at place that filters out people by the names on their resumes anyway?

That is as discriminatory as it gets and would not be where I would want to work.


That CAC bitch would have found any reason that she could to make sure that I didn't get the job.
Seems you drew the wrong conclusion. If the bitch didn't like where you were from, why go back to using your real name? It's like losing a fist fight so instead of learning to box at the gym so you decrease the chance of losing again, you decide to cut your fingers off. Also, not everyone has the luxury of being job picky because they don't like xyz. Some of us have to take what we can get, which corroborates my point about having to deal with reality.
 
Never understood why black folk create those stupid ass names for their kids. Seems foolish.
Because we as Black people are creative, unique, and like to personalize things at times to make it different.

OTktNjgxMS5wbmc.jpeg


Regardless if I like the name or not, that us and I appreciate it.
 
Back
Top