The Best Blaxploitation Movies Of The 70's

The Best Blaxploitation Movies Of The 70's?

• Willie Dynamite

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Shaft

Votes: 12 11.9%
  • Super Fly

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • Black Caesar

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • Cleopatra Jones

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Coffy

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • The Mack

Votes: 30 29.7%
  • Black Belt Jones

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Foxy Brown

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • Three the Hard Way

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Trouble Man

• Across 110th Street

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Hit Man

• Sheba Baby

• Truck Turner

• Total voters

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Which is the best (or your favorite) blaxploitation movies of the 70's?
Blaxploitation or blacksploitation is an ethnic subgenre of the exploitation film. It emerged in the United States in the early 1970s. Blaxploitation films were originally made specifically for an urban black audience, but the genre's audience appeal soon broadened across racial and ethnic lines. The Los Angeles National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) head and ex-film publicist Junius Griffin coined the term, which is a portmanteau of the words "black" and "exploitation." Blaxploitation films were the first to regularly feature soundtracks of funk and soul music and primarily black casts.Variety credited Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song and the less radical Hollywood-financed film Shaft (both released in 1971) with the invention of the blaxploitation.

220px-Shaftposter.jpg

Shaft is a 1971 American blaxploitation film directed by Gordon Parks, released by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. An action film with elements of film noir, Shaft tells the story of a private detective, John Shaft, who travels through Harlem and to the Italian mob neighborhoods in order to find the missing daughter of a black mobster. It stars Richard Roundtreeas John Shaft, Moses Gunn as Bumpy Jonas, Drew Bundini Brown as Willy, Charles Cioffi as Lt. Vic Androzzi,Christopher St. John as Ben Buford, and Gwenn Mitchell and Lawrence Pressman in smaller roles.

220px-Superfly_poster.jpg

Super Fly is a 1972 blaxploitation crime drama film directed by Gordon Parks, Jr., starring Ron O'Neal as Youngblood Priest, an African American cocaine dealer who is trying to quit the underworld drug business.

This film is probably best known for its soundtrack, written and produced by soul musician Curtis Mayfield. Super Fly is one of the few films ever to have been outgrossed by its soundtrack.

Black_caesar.jpg

Black Caesar (released theatrically in the UK as Godfather of Harlem) is a 1973 American blaxploitation crime drama film, starring Fred Williamson, Gloria Hendry and Julius Harris. The film was written and directed by Larry Cohen. Black Caesar is a remake of the 1931 film Little Caesar. It features a notable musical score (Black Caesar) byJames Brown (with heavy input from his bandleaderFred Wesley), his first experience with writing music for film.

220px-Tamaradobson-cleopatrajones.jpg

Cleopatra Jones is a 1973 American blaxploitationaction comedy film starring Tamara Dobson, Bernie Casey,Shelley Winters and Antonio Fargas.

220px-Coffy.jpg

Coffy is a 1973 American blaxploitation film written and directed by American filmmakerJack Hill. The story is about ablack female vigilante played by Pam Grier.

220px-The_Mack.jpg

The Mack is a 1973 blaxploitation film starring Max Julien and Richard Pryor. The movie is set in Oakland, California and was the highest-grossing blaxploitation film of its time. Its soundtrack was recorded by Motown artist Willie Hutch.

220px-Black_belt_jones_movie_poster.jpg

Black Belt Jones is a 1974 American blaxploitationmartial arts film directed by Robert Clouse and starring Jim Kelly. The main musical theme was performed by funk guitarist Dennis Coffey.

220px-Foxy_Brown_movie_poster.jpg

Foxy Brown is a 1974 American blaxploitation film written and directed by Jack Hill. It stars Pam Grier as the title character, described by one character as "a whole lot of woman" who showcases unrelenting sexiness while battling the villains.

235px-Willie_Dynamite_FilmPoster.jpeg

Willie Dynamite is a 1974 American blaxploitation film, starring Roscoe Orman, Diana Sands, Thalmus Rasulala, Joyce Walker, and was released by Universal Pictures. The eponymous Willie Dynamite is a pimp in New York City, who strives to be number one in the city. As he is trying to do so, a social worker named Cora, is trying to change his ways - as well as those of the women who work for him - for the better.

220px-Three_the_Hard_Way_%28film%29.jpg

Three the Hard Way is a 1974 action blaxploitation film starring Fred Williamson, Jim Brown, and Jim Kelly, written byEric Bercovici and Jerrold L. Ludwig and directed by Gordon Parks, Jr. Featuring the three biggest black action stars of the 1970s, in their first movie together, the film chronicled the group's adventures in foiling the plot of white supremacists plotting to kill the black population of the United States by poisoning the water supply.

220px-Trouble_man_poster.jpg

Trouble Man is a 1972 blaxploitation crime thriller film directed by Ivan Dixon and produced and released by 20th Century Fox. The film stars Robert Hooks as "Mr. T.", a hard-edged private detective who tends to take justice into his own hands. It is still of note today for its soundtrack, written, produced and performed by Marvin Gaye.

220px-Hit_Man_-_Poster.jpg

Hit Man is a 1972 American crime film directed by George Armitage[2] and starring Bernie Casey, Pam Grier and Lisa Moore. It is a blaxploitation-themed adaptation of Ted Lewis' 1970 novel Jack's Return Home, more famously adapted as Get Carter (1971), with the action relocated from England to the United States.

220px-Truck_turnerposter.jpg

Truck Turner, also known as Black Bullet, is a 1974 blaxploitation film, starring Isaac Hayes and Yaphet Kotto, and directed by Jonathan Kaplan. The screenplay was written by Michael Allin, Leigh Chapman (under a pseudonym, Jerry Wilkes), and Oscar Williams. Hayes also scored the music for the soundtrack.

220px-ShebaBabyPoster.jpg

Sheba, Baby is a 1975 American blaxploitation action film directed by William Girdler and starring Pam Grier and Austin Stoker.

Across_110th_Street.jpg

Across 110th Street is a 1972 American action crime film directed by Barry Shear and starring Yaphet Kotto, Anthony Quinn, Anthony Franciosa and Paul Benjamin. The film is set in Harlem and takes its name from 110th Street, the traditional dividing line between Harlem and Central Park that functioned as an informal boundary of race and class in 1970s New York City.
Note: Just including the crime/action movies no comedy,horror,etc.

Last edited:

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The Mack
Black Cesar
Foxy Brown
Willie Dynomite

In that order a lot of these movies are redundant as hell .

Problematic

Rising Star
Registered
Based on your choices had to go with Shaft since that officially kicked it off (cac financing) & changed the game. No diss to Melvin

You didn't list mine. "The Spook Who Sat by the Door."

:cool: Wouldn't quite call this part of the "blaxplotation" based on how shook it got the feds, but I understand it was in the same era...

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
The production values of Shaft were light-years ahead of any other Blaxpo flick, even tho Pam Grier's tiddies trump everything. SelfScience is the master of this genre. His view should be very interesting.

Here, check this out:

http://www.blaxploitationpride.org/

I love Shaft, but Sweet Sweeeetback is credited for being the originator (which I humbly disagree). Movies like In The Heat of the Night, Puntey Swoop, and Uptight makes a strong case.

We've debated the best soundtrack being Superfly. Curtis and Isaac own the genre in that aspect.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
A70-4943

Melinda was the most slept on movies of that era. BTW why wasn't Black Gunn listed?

MGM just released this on DVD with great clarity. I'm about to order me a copy soon because only the VHS of Melinda existed until last week. I've been try to see Vonetta with better clarity for a minute now.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
:cool: Wouldn't quite call this part of the "blaxplotation" based on how shook it got the feds, but I understand it was in the same era...

Oh man, why not apart of the genre. I think The Spook really defines the genre very well. It embodies the righteous of black power alongside the struggles of dealing with racist sellouts.

The Spook has it all.

Mo-Better

The R&B Master
OG Investor
I love Shaft, but Sweet Sweeeetback is credited for being the originator (which I humbly disagree). Movies like In The Heat of the Night, Puntey Swoop, and Uptight makes a strong case.

We've debated the best soundtrack being Superfly. Curtis and Isaac own the genre in that aspect.
I agree Sweetback was far from the first, it might however be the best film of that era that was low budget.

Mo-Better

The R&B Master
OG Investor
MGM just released this on DVD with great clarity. I'm about to order me a copy soon because only the VHS of Melinda existed until last week. I've been try to see Vonetta with better clarity for a minute now.
:bravo: Thank you! You know I've been looking for this one and Trouble Man too.

As for Vonetta you steppin' on my turf.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
IMDb.com
"The Education Of Sonny Carson" is such a moving film that brilliantly portrays the struggles and survival of ghetto life in 1950's Brooklyn,based on the best-selling autobiography by Sonny Carson,this is one of those films that is rarely forgotten,but it is still a visually stunning piece of film-making from the golden age of 1970's Black Cinema,directed by Micheal Campus. Produced by Irwin Yablans and released thru Paramount Pictures in 1974,this film hasn't been seen in decades,until now with the magic of video and DVD,the film has been restored to its glory and its a tale worth telling about one man's quest to survive in an ghetto infested area and eventually comes out a winner. But still this is a gangster's tale here with some hard edged hitting drama to boot with a performance that is played with absolute conviction by Rony Clanton. Clanton portrays Sonny Carson,a street-smart,bright,highly intelligent young man who gets sucked into gang turf warfare that ends up getting him arrested and eventually ends up in the slammer.

the-education-of-sonny-carson-movie-poster-1974-1020200837.jpg

vlcsnap-2014-01-02-23h21m43s190.png

vlcsnap-2014-01-02-23h23m27s201.png

vlcsnap-2014-01-02-23h23m57s41.png

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor

Peace bro. OP said "the best." I don't think there's any doubt that Shaft fits that bill in many respects. I don't really know what would be considered the first; I bow to your knowledge on that one. And while we're here, I just saw one on your blog called Tanya's Island. Any chance of a re-up? Waiting for that HQ Melinda too. Vonetta man.

And slept on Joan Pringle in J.D.s Revenge.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Peace bro. OP said "the best." I don't think there's any doubt that Shaft fits that bill in many respects. I don't really know what would be considered the first; I bow to your knowledge on that one. And while we're here, I just saw one on your blog called Tanya's Island. Any chance of a re-up? Waiting for that HQ Melinda too. Vonetta man.

And slept on Joan Pringle in J.D.s Revenge.

Very true! There are a lot of sister's that fel under the radar because of Pam, Vonetta, Gloria, Tamera Dobson and Jayne Kennedy.

vlcsnap-2014-01-04-22h10m24s141.png

My favorite slept on (well probably not), but didn't get a lot of shine on film was Tracy Reed.

vlcsnap-2014-01-07-09h59m56s112.png

vlcsnap-2014-01-07-09h52m10s64.png

Tanya's Island is on the way. It's a VHS copy. I doubt this film gets remastered. Vanity got raped by an ape in that movie. Other than her body being exposed for much of the film, this movie is trash.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Brotherhood of Death (1976) goes dumb hard! I have a nice copy of this one, but Code Red DVD has released a 1000 limit copy on blu-ray. I haven't got it yet, but I'm sure it's worth it.

brotherhood_of_death_poster_01.jpg

vlcsnap-2014-01-18-19h59m25s60.png

Problematic

Rising Star
Registered
Oh man, why not apart of the genre. I think The Spook really defines the genre very well. It embodies the righteous of black power alongside the struggles of dealing with racist sellouts.

The Spook has it all.

No doubt.

I guess I meant that no other film from that era (to my knowledge) had quite the same impact...like most of the other films in the genre were kind of a fantasy and TSWSBTD practically came to fruition...which is why is was taken out of circulation until the last decade or so

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
Very true! There are a lot of sister's that fel under the radar because of Pam, Vonetta, Gloria, Tamera Dobson and Jayne Kennedy.

My favorite slept on (well probably not), but didn't get a lot of shine on film was Tracy Reed.

So true. Tracey was fine as fuck but my true love was Gloria Hendry. Man the hips on that girl. Sh-eet. Gloria Delany was no joke either.

Tanya's Island is on the way. It's a VHS copy. I doubt this film gets remastered. Vanity got raped by an ape in that movie. Other than her body being exposed for much of the film, this movie is trash.

Thank you brother. I know it's trash but sometimes, well.....:D

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
No doubt.

I guess I meant that no other film from that era (to my knowledge) had quite the same impact...like most of the other films in the genre were kind of a fantasy and TSWSBTD practically came to fruition...which is why is was taken out of circulation until the last decade or so

Ok, I got you. Yes, that film was definitely banned. "Uptight", "Gordan's War", and "The Lost Man" are two that comes into mind that are similar, but definitely did not have the same impact.

"Goodbye Uncle Tom" was another film that was banned, but not for the same reason as The Spook. I think the The Spook was just too much of a horror movie for whites. Shit, "Gordon's War" is banned in some countries. I think Germany is one of them.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
Shaft is a great movie, but what's with all the phallic symbols?

First, it's called SHAFT and stars a guy named Round Tree The poster has him shooting a gun from the middle of his waist, and contains the tag line "they got shaft up to here.

:dunno: