Superman Reboot in Development at WB With Ta-Nehisi Coates Writing

keone

WORLD WAR K aka Sensei ALMONDZ
International Member
BY KYLIE HEMMERT
ON FEBRUARY 26, 2021

FACEBOOKTWITTERREDDITEMAIL

Superman Reboot in Development at WB With Ta-Nehisi Coates Writing & J.J. Abrams Producing
Shadow and Act is reporting that a Superman reboot is in the works at Warner Bros. and DC with author Ta-Nehisi Coates writing the script and Emmy winner J.J. Abrams (Lost, Westworld, Star Wars franchise) producing the project via his Bad Robot production company.

RELATED: Warner Bros. Sets Jon M. Chu to Helm The Great Chinese Art Heist
No details about the plot or talent have been released. Hannah Minghella will serve as producer on the currently untitled feature.
“To be invited into the DC Extended Universe by Warner Bros., DC Films and Bad Robot is an honor,” Coates told the outlet. “I look forward to meaningfully adding to the legacy of America’s most iconic mythic hero.”
“There is a new, powerful, and moving Superman story yet to be told. We couldn’t be more thrilled to be working with the brilliant Mr. Coates to help bring that story to the big screen, and we’re beyond thankful to the team at Warner Bros. for the opportunity,” Abrams added.

Coates is also at work on Ryan Coogler’s drama Wrong Answer, starring Michael B. Jordan and based on Rachel Aviv‘s 2014 story in The New Yorker about 11 Atlanta public school educators who were convicted of racketeering in an attempt to falsely improve standardized test scores.
As the national correspondent for The Atlantic, Coates covered cultural, social, and political issues, specifically that of African Americans and white supremacy. He has written for The Village Voice, TIME, and has contributed to the New York Times Magazine, Washington Post, and more. His non-fiction books include The Beautiful Struggle, Between the World and Me, and We Were Eight Years in Power: An American Tragedy. Between the World and Me won the 2015 National Book Award for Nonfiction. Coates has also written a Black Panther and a Captain America series for Marvel Comics. Coates received a special thanks credit on Avengers: Infinity War, Avengers: Endgame, and Black Panther.
RELATED: WB Taps Angel Manuel Soto to Helm DC’s Blue Beetle Film
Bad Robot signed an exclusive deal with Warner Bros. in 2019 and is also developing the Justice League Dark Universe for film and television. The comic book Justice League Dark team made their debut during DC’s “New 52” publishing initiative in 2011. A paranormal-leaning super-team, the group featured the likes of John Constantine, Swamp Thing, Zatanna, Frankenstein, Deadman, Madame Xanadu, and The Phantom Stranger among its ranks. Prior to Liman’s involvement and departure, Guillermo del Toro had been attached to direct the Justice League Dark movie, which was set to be titled Dark Universe. Since then though, Universal Pictures used that moniker for their attempt at rebooting their classic monsters, so the film (should it ever be made) will likely carry the Justice League Dark title. It was recently announced that HBO Max is developing a new Constantine series and that the potential show would be connected to Bad Robot’s Justice League Dark universe.

tajshan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Kind of lazy, race swapping an long established character vs making an new one. Hell they barely did anything with Icon when they had access to him.

It could go good or extremely woke wrong
"woke" - :hmm: used to be a time that word meant something.... Now, thanks to the mainstream media, and white boys feeling like their priviledge being threatened, that word is like nails on a chalkboard..

KRAYZIE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Kind of lazy, race swapping an long established character vs making an new one. Hell they barely did anything with Icon when they had access to him.

"woke" - :hmm: used to be a time that word meant something.... Now, thanks to the mainstream media, and white boys feeling like their priviledge being threatened, that word is like nails on a chalkboard..
You got people who don't even know who John Henrik Clarke is, but want to come tell me about being black and Black lives mattering. But those fuckers can't tell me who's making all those BLM paraphernalia and where's the money coming from and where is the money going.

grownazzblakman

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Meh...

I don't wanna see no movie about... Steele. :hmm:
I don't wanna see no movie about... Calvin Ellis. :hmm:
I don't wanna see no movie about... Val-Zod. :hmm:

Honestly, there's no need to 'reboot' Superman. :smh: Henry Cavil is great. But he doesn't even have a trilogy of his own yet, like the Dark Knight does. So he just needs at least 2 more (solo) sequels made by some really good directors, imo.

For me, the ONE & ONLY Black version of Superman that I have any interest in seeing in a Hollywood movie is....

mcduffie-feat1.jpg

Now If Ta-Nehisi Coates is trying to make THIS version of Black Superman happen... then he has my full attention. :yes:

But if Ta-Nehisi is NOT trying to bring Dwayne McDuffie's characters to the big screen... then I think this whole idea is probably just a "multi-million dollar flop" waiting to happen.

Somebody holla at Te'nahisi & tell him to go recruit Denys Cowan, Michael Davis, and Derek T. Dingle as his co-writers... so they can all make some magic happen. :yes: (And be sure to cut McDuffie's living heirs in on the profits somehow, whenever it finally hits the box office. :yes:)

Icon & Rocket. :yes:

I won't settle for anything less.

WB can keep all the rest of 'em.

ThaBurgerPimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Guess Cavill getting back into shape for nothing :smh:..unless theyre working off the idea that he supposedly pitched to WB

But if Ta-Nehisi is NOT trying to bring Dwayne McDuffie's characters to the big screen... then I think this whole idea is probably just a "multi-million dollar flop" waiting to happen.
Now they wouldve been perfect to appear on Black Lightning

The Plutonian

The Anti Bullshitter
BGOL Investor
Meh...

I don't wanna see no movie about... Steele. :hmm:
I don't wanna see no movie about... Calvin Ellis. :hmm:

Honestly, there's no need to 'reboot' Superman. :smh: Henry Cavil is great. But he doesn't even have a trilogy of his own yet, like the Dark Knight does. So he just needs at least 2 more (solo) sequels made by some really good directors, imo.

For me, the ONE & ONLY Black version of Superman that I have any interest in seeing in a Hollywood movie is....

mcduffie-feat1.jpg

Now If Ta-Nehisi Coates is trying to make THIS version of Black Superman happen... then he has my full attention. :yes:

Somebody holla at Te'nahisi & tell him to go recruit Denys Cowan, Michael Davis, and Derek T. Dingle as his co-writers... so they can all make some magic happen. :yes: (And be sure to cut McDuffie's living heirs in on the profits somehow, whenever it finally hits the box office. :yes:)

WB can keep all the rest of 'em.

What about Blue Marvel or Last Dragon? Sho Nuff?

TheAlias

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Y'all some naysayer niggas up in here. Excited for this.

On another note, stop being ashamed of your black skin. Y'all sounding hella uncomfortable that you might be seeing your own on the screen in a powerful light.

Not only am I excited for this, but if the rumors of a melanin Superman is true, then I feel entitled to this.

So straighten your backs and hold your heads high instead of adopting insecure white man logic.

Tito_Jackson

Truth Teller
Registered
Meh...

A Val-Zod movie could be really good. The son of General Zod is now protecting Earth, but he's unsure of his powers and is not comfortable around people?? All this could make a damn good film.

I would die a happy man if they did this, but did it right. But, they wouldn't do it right. Why? Because they would be too afraid to make Icon extremely conservative and have him push back against BLM and current black culture with reason and examples. He has to like Thomas Sowell. He has to be so right wing that black folks are mad in the theater. This would make it a hit!!!!

They could have his arch as him doubting "some" of his beliefs, such as "all police are good."

Oh, the possibilities.