Squid Game (2021) Netflix Asian Drama Series (looks incredible) Drops 9/17

dasailr03

A Goddamn Sailor!
BGOL Investor
I've been dying to talk with this about someone other than strangers on twitter. I found the ending kind of bland because it purposely left questions unanswered to force a second season. I didn't hate the ending, but the build up to that reveal had me way more excited that something or someone else was going on. They also need to get better Americans in foreign films. One of my favorite Korean actors is in the movie, and he had to do scenes with those horrible acting Americans. YUCK!
what was wrong with the ending? i mean, of course they gave a way for the sequel but the ending did tie up the more important lose ends.

militantmidget

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
They also need to get better Americans in foreign films. One of my favorite Korean actors is in the movie, and he had to do scenes with those horrible acting Americans. YUCK!

Well to be fair, it's a Korean TV series made with Korean viewers in mind. To Korean viewers in Korea, those americans probably did a great job as greedy americans betting on human lives like horses (Basically old white men speaking english, LOL).

A perfect example of this in an America movie was Black Panther. When the Wakandans went to Korea, Nakia spoke Korean with that fish market lady. People in Korea thought that lady's acting was bad in addition to her spoken Korean.

But to us as Americans, I didn't we even noticed anything off about her Korean. To us, she played the part well. Some Asian lady speaking Korean to Nakia.

HotNixon36

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
first episode...

o_Oo_Oo_O

Shit was not joke, I am mad because I slept on this.

kptivqopzqn71.jpg

phanatic

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
i think the spoiler post above explains the gamemaster and why he did it.. or at least provides a clue.
I just watched it. Did you finish the series? The front man's history would be interesting
considering it was the detective's brother that played the game and won

kl33mann

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Spoiler Alert
How To Beat Every DEATH GAME In "SQUID GAME"

Gonna peep this, but after a few episodes to see if the solutions are legit.

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
‘Squid Game’ Eyes Biggest Netflix Series Title, Shocking the Streamer: ‘We Didn’t See It Coming’
8e24a59cd976b87d2b2158206f0f667e

Netflix’s chief content officer Ted Sarandos expressed surprise at Vox Media’s Code Conference this week (via Variety) when revealing the Korean survival drama “Squid Game” is becoming such a blockbuster for the streaming giant that it could soon dethrone “Bridgerton” as the biggest Netflix television series of all time. The first season of Shonda Rhimes’ Regency romance stands atop Netflix’s list of most popular series by household (82 million) and most popular series by hours spent viewing (625 million). As always, it’s important to note the streamer counts 2 minutes of streaming as a view.

As reported by Variety: “Sarandos said that high-concept Korean survival drama ‘Squid Game,’ which premiered Sept. 17, has a very [big] chance of becoming the biggest Netflix show ever, and currently ranks as the No. 1 show worldwide on the service. ‘We did not see that coming, in terms of its global popularity,’ Sarandos said.”

Squid Game” comes from writer-director Hwang Dong-hyuk, whose credits include the feature films “The Fortress,” “Miss Granny,” and “Silenced.” The film riffs on reality television in telling the story of a group of contestants who agree to participate in a mysterious survival game with a grand prize total of nearly $40 million. The game includes hundreds of contestants who play traditional children’s games with deadly twists. Lee Jung-jae, Park Hae-soo and Wi Ha-joon star. All nine episodes of the show’s first season are now streaming globally on Netflix.

In a review for The Guardian, writer Henry Wong said the show’s “closest comparison is another South Korean drama, 2019’s Oscar-winning, zeitgeist-capturing ‘Parasite,’ where the country’s class divides led to a bloody conclusion.” Wong adds, “Masterful cliffhangers give the series a requisite binge-worthy appeal and the set pieces are hideously inventive, but it’s the show’s eclectic cast that keeps viewers watching.”

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/squid-game-eyes-biggest-netflix-134603550.html

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
I'm putting just behind Bad Guys Vile City..

Bad Guys Vile City .. is still the All time Masterclass for Korean TV for me.

I'm just going to say .... If you haven't watching this show....

Finish Squid Game and go watch on Netflix cause I need a season 3....

FLAMES!!!

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
Inteteresting

Netflix series Squid Game accused of plagiarising Japanese movie As The Gods Will

SEOUL - Viewers of Netflix series Squid Game have noticed that the K-drama has some scenes and plotlines which are similar to a 2014 Japanese movie, As The Gods Will.

The plots of both shows involve survival death matches using childhood games and there are also similarities in filmography, such as a close-up shot of a giant doll head and a countdown clock scene.

Squid Game, which premiered on the streaming service last Friday (Sept 17), has garnered rave reviews and is trending online. It stars Lee Jung-jae, Park Hae-soo and Jung Ho-yeon.

The nine-episode series follows a group of desperados who have to play twisted versions of their childhood games for a chance to win 45.6 billion won (S$52.3 million).

Its director Hwang Dong-hyuk is best known for the 2011 movie Silenced, based on a true story about the abuse of deaf students in South Korea.

He had previously mentioned that the script for Squid Game had been in the works since 2008 to 2009, but was shelved as there was a lack of interest until Netflix came knocking a decade later.

In a press conference, he said: "It is true that (the first game is) similar, but after that, there aren't any similarities."

He pointed out that As The Gods Will was created in the 2010s, after his initial idea for Squid Game, which came to him after reading a lot of manga on the survival genre.

While he was hesitant to claim ownership of the story, he added: "But if I had to say it, I would say I did it first."

Yeah this looks good but not the same

As The Gods Will

Ryokurin

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
They also need to get better Americans in foreign films. One of my favorite Korean actors is in the movie, and he had to do scenes with those horrible acting Americans. YUCK!

Except the foreign actor is actually a teacher, or model and is only getting a couple of hundred bucks for it, and even if he tell the director no one sounds like this in real life, are they really going to listen to an extra?

Ryokurin

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Inteteresting

Netflix series Squid Game accused of plagiarising Japanese movie As The Gods Will

SEOUL - Viewers of Netflix series Squid Game have noticed that the K-drama has some scenes and plotlines which are similar to a 2014 Japanese movie, As The Gods Will.

The plots of both shows involve survival death matches using childhood games and there are also similarities in filmography, such as a close-up shot of a giant doll head and a countdown clock scene.

Squid Game, which premiered on the streaming service last Friday (Sept 17), has garnered rave reviews and is trending online. It stars Lee Jung-jae, Park Hae-soo and Jung Ho-yeon.

The nine-episode series follows a group of desperados who have to play twisted versions of their childhood games for a chance to win 45.6 billion won (S$52.3 million).

Its director Hwang Dong-hyuk is best known for the 2011 movie Silenced, based on a true story about the abuse of deaf students in South Korea.

He had previously mentioned that the script for Squid Game had been in the works since 2008 to 2009, but was shelved as there was a lack of interest until Netflix came knocking a decade later.

In a press conference, he said: "It is true that (the first game is) similar, but after that, there aren't any similarities."

He pointed out that As The Gods Will was created in the 2010s, after his initial idea for Squid Game, which came to him after reading a lot of manga on the survival genre.

While he was hesitant to claim ownership of the story, he added: "But if I had to say it, I would say I did it first."

Yeah this looks good but not the same

As The Gods Will

And if you want to take it back further, they both are taking elements from Battle Royale which came out in 2000.

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Squid Games on Netflix 3 episodes in and it's pretty good so far.It definitely shows how far people are willing to go when their backs are up against the wall even though it may lead to death.Also the power of visual influence .You can tell someone you have a million dollars for them but showing them is a whole other thing.